• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guri

Nah, just for slightly lower temps and if you can run lower, better.

Thanks! Stress testing now at this voltage. Is it normal to reduce from 1.28V to 1.26V while stress testing? HWMonitor is showing me that. Also, is 3 hours enough or shoild I keep 6 anyway?

maneil99

Just finished to build my new shiny pc :)

So far the computer is dead silent I didn't hear the psu or the h105 even when I benched it with valley, the vga card is very silent compared to my old 6970 it's night and day.

The video card is huge and heavy (780 ti classified from Evga and very well packed)

The MB z97 maximus hero is very well the packed and come with tons of free software and the bios is one of the best and easiest to use i seen so far.

The EVGA psu is huge and heavy and come very well packed with tons of cables.

The 750d corsair is very nice case if you in market for a full tower case i recommend it.

I'm very happy with my purchase so far this computer is a beast!! and with the ssd windows boot so fast compared to regular hd.

The 4770k so far i pushed it to 4.5 without trouble I'm going to push it a little bit more.

That's it.
Have you stress tested your CPU?

Dynamic3

Is there any way to alleviate this issue:

My main drive is a 256GB SSD, however I have a 2TB WD Green drive that I use for storage (predominantly iTunes), both connected via SATA3. Whenever I open a location that could potentially reference the drive (recycle bin, iTunes, etc.) I get a delayed response of a few seconds while I presume the storage drive spins up. Can I do anything to keep the drive immediately accessible without rapidly degrading its health, or would I be better off just purchasing a large SSD for storage?

damn it Lagaff, your build's indirectly making me want a 750W SuperNOVA G2 even though my fall build's TDP is barely gonna use 3/5 of that

Confused. That Google Doc in the OP listed those CPUs for Q3. So what's coming at Q3?

intel's launching overclock-capable haswell refresh CPUs (codenamed devil's canyon) at some point in the next three months

also 'extreme edition' i7s in haswell-E, though you probably don't want one of those unless you have a) hella cash to throw around and/or 2) need one for productivity purposes

'course it doesn't matter either way, because your CPU is still damn good

Addnan

ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GTX 580

Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) DDR3

i7 - 2600K @ 3.4GHz

Your 2600K is nowhere near outdated. Buy a cooler and overclock that thing to 4.3-4.6. Whatever it gets to. You really just need a new GPU.

scogoth

Confused. That Google Doc in the OP listed those CPUs for Q3. So what's coming at Q3?

As mentioned above the 'K' variants of those CPUs are coming out in Q3 which support overclocking. Also the Haswell-E (E for enthusiast) are coming out but are more expensive and require more expensive motherboards.

Your 2600K is nowhere near outdated. Buy a cooler and overclock that thing to 4.3-4.6. Whatever it gets to. You really just need a new GPU.

Never overclocked before, and wouldn't want to mess around if I have the option to upgrade. Not exactly swimming in cash but if there's any future headaches / troubleshooting involved in overclocking, I'd really prefer not to do it. Please do correct me if I'm being too dramatic.

Also, wouldn't I need a new Motherboard since my current one doesn't support the new pins?

Finally, any advantage in upgrading my RAM speed, or is this current setup fine?

Edit: Thanks scogoth and eBay Huckster for the clarification. Things making more sense now :)

scogoth

Never overclocked before, and wouldn't want to mess around if I have the option to upgrade. Not exactly swimming in cash but if there's any future headaches / troubleshooting involved in overclocking, I'd really prefer not to do it. Please do correct me if I'm being too dramatic.

Also, wouldn't I need a new Motherboard since my current one doesn't support the new pins?

Finally, any advantage in upgrading my RAM speed, or is this current setup fine?

Overclocking is very easy with that CPU, simply change the multiplier to 42 and you are done. Your setup is actually still quite good. You would see the best performance jump by getting a new GPU. You could also get a new GPU and then wait for the new CPUs to come out and make a decision then.

It's been a long while since i bought a new HDD.

What should i get, looking for 1tb or 2tb depending on the price difference between the two. The drive will be use to store, music, movie, tv shows and maybe some other files that i want to share between all my computers. The drive will pretty much be running 24/7

Thanks.

Overclocking is very easy with that CPU, simply change the multiplier to 42 and you are done. Your setup is actually still quite good. You would see the best performance jump by getting a new GPU. You could also get a new GPU and then wait for the new CPUs to come out and make a decision then.

Thanks.

Won't I need a new motherboard to accommodate latest-gen GPUs? My Sabertooth P67 fits LGA 1155. Finally, any recommended coolers?

scogoth

It's been a long while since i bought a new HDD.

What should i get, looking for 1tb or 2tb depending on the price difference between the two. The drive will be use to store, music, movie, tv shows and maybe some other files that i want to share between all my computers. The drive will pretty much be running 24/7

Thanks.

They are pretty much all bad. WD reds are ok if you want to setup a NAS to share everything and the WD Black are not terrible but noisy. Best thing is to get 2 hard drives and make sure everything is backed up.

kiyomi

Edit: Thanks scogoth and eBay Huckster for the clarification. Things making more sense now :)

Now can I ask again why you need a Titan Black? :p

scogoth

Thanks.

Won't I need a new motherboard to accommodate latest-gen GPUs? My Sabertooth P67 fits LGA 1155. Finally, any recommended coolers?

GPUs still use the same PCIe slots you are fine. Cooler get a CM Hyper 212+/EVO/whatever its called now. It will carry over to future builds as well

GPUs still use the same PCIe slots you are fine. Cooler get a CM Hyper 212+/EVO/whatever its called now. It will carry over to future builds as well

Brainfart on my end about the PCI slots : /

Thanks for the cooler recommendation.

Now can I ask again why you need a Titan Black? :p

Friend of a friend owns a local store, said he could get me a deal. Shaved off about 20%. Got me curious.

What do you think, should I bite or go for 770 / 780?

Just SLI 2x780/Ti's if you're already looking to spend that much. Or just buy something to hold you over til the new GPUs come out and then sell it.

Since you brought up SLI, how common is compatibility for that among games? I recall hearing stories about games that fail to take advantage of the SLI / Crossfire setups, can't really tell if those were ever widespread. I suppose this question would only apply to recent and future games.

Since you brought up SLI, how common is compatibility for that among games? I recall hearing stories about games that fail to take advantage of the SLI / Crossfire setups, can't really tell if those were ever widespread. I suppose this question would only apply to recent and future games.

Was more a problem of the past afaik. Almost all new games support SLI or get a patch to do so asap.

kiyomi

Friend of a friend owns a local store, said he could get me a deal. Shaved off about 20%. Got me curious.

What do you think, should I bite or go for 770 / 780?

Even with 20% off, 780 Ti would give you better price to performance than the Black IMO. Alternatively, you could wait for the 6GB 780 Ti which are supposedly coming out at some point (anyone?) if downsampling is your thing.

Or hold onto your butt and wait for an 880. :p

I keep finding myself wanting to build a new PC, but mine works so damn good. So I think I might build a small form factor for the living room instead. Thinking of going with a mini-itx i5 build. Any suggestions anyone? It will be mostly for movie watching and some couch gaming, but I'll be doing that through Steam in home streaming.

Niandra_LaDes

Neo Member
Just built my first PC. First boot everything was fine, changed a couple things in the BIOS (fan speed, nothing major) then restarted. Then no picture and had the red VGA light on MOBO. Reconnected power connections for GPU and everything seems fine again. So I don't think its the GPU and maybe bad seating or connections? Am I missing something?

Also, any recommended start menu for Windows 8.1?

Intel i5 4670K
EVGA GTX 770
Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM
ASUS Z97-a
Samsung Evo 840 250gb
GSkill Ares 8gb
Seasonic M12ii 620v

scogoth

I keep finding myself wanting to build a new PC, but mine works so damn good. So I think I might build a small form factor for the living room instead. Thinking of going with a mini-itx i5 build. Any suggestions anyone? It will be mostly for movie watching and some couch gaming, but I'll be doing that through Steam in home streaming.

Half length 750ti is your friend. Love that little GPU. Also wired Ethernet for steam streaming.

Right, thanks all.

Now looking at getting a new GPU, cooler and (finally) an SSD. Gonna suck moving my data over and losing my installs but, eh.

Thanks again :)

appaws

Banned

You are being too dramatic. You have a Sandy Bridge "k" chip....which is made for overclocking. It's easy and there are guides all over the place. I find it to be fun actually.

You said you aren't swimming in money, so the best investment of you resources would be a new bad-ass GPU, like a 780ti for example, a CPU cooler for your new favorite hobby of overclocking.

Air if you don't care about the looks of a giant ass chunk of metal hanging off your motherboard. CM 212, Noctua, etc... Or an AIO like a Corsair H80, etc...

6GB 780 Ti which are supposedly coming out at some point (anyone?)

Ehhhh, we'll see. While it would be in my favor for it to be out (I can step up my 780 Ti in the next 2 months), it seems like it was either delayed or cancelled. EVGA has a Computex booth and there's no doubt that if it is coming it will get shown there. I keep checking the EVGA forums for information, but nothing new has come out since Jacob has hinted at it. I'm not sure how the Titan Black is selling and if they're that afraid of cannibalizing its own sales with a 6GB Ti, but really they should just market them different since the Black is a better buy for compute power anyways for 3D and whatnot, and most gamers wouldn't bother with it over a 780 Ti in the first place.

This is my first post in here, since I think it's time for me to upgrade my computer.

So I've been thinking for the longest about finally building my own PC. The only thing that's been stopping me, was the money. Turns out, I actually don't need as much money as I thought. I have an Alienware x51, and it turns out that a lot of the parts inside. Can be used to make a PC. So I have a graphics card, ram, CPU, and HDD. I can't use the motherboard since it's some kind of mini motherboard, and the fans inside are terrible. The power supply is external, so it's definitely out as well.

So the only things I do need is a motherboard, case, fans, and power supply. I'm planning on looking up some of these parts, to get an estimate on how much I'll need. I'm hoping I don't go over $300 with this.

Will come back if I need any help.

Smokey

Even with 20% off, 780 Ti would give you better price to performance than the Black IMO. Alternatively, you could wait for the 6GB 780 Ti which are supposedly coming out at some point (anyone?) if downsampling is your thing.

Or hold onto your butt and wait for an 880. :p

780ti 6gb isn't a thing anymore

Gumbie

Eh, SLI is ok most of the time, but you're never going to have the simplicity of a single card. If you're ok with that then go for it. I just got rid of my two 770's in sli for the option of a single 780ti. I lost a little bit of power but I don't miss the sli headaches.

Smokey

What a (insert gender specific sexual organ) tease.

You should definitely just get rid of your cards for a bargain and go 290X to show them. :p

After learning the news a few days ago I've been looking out for Titan Blacks.I was about to get them yesterday when the Egg had them in stock, however it wouldn't let you add 2 to the cart. Called them and yeah..it was limited to one per customer for 48 hrs.

I took it as a sign.

mkenyon

Banned
I was about to get Titan Blacks yesterday when the Egg had them in stock, however it wouldn't let you add 2 to the cart. Called them and yeah..it was limited to one customer per 48 hrs.
I get it. I do.

But, dude. Don't be making decisions based upon a pretty meh game that has major performance issues that will be patched out. That's like a $800 upgrade for less chugs in a single freaking game. And it's not even that great.

kennah

This is my first post in here, since I think it's time for me to upgrade my computer.

So I've been thinking for the longest about finally building my own PC. The only thing that's been stopping me, was the money. Turns out, I actually don't need as much money as I thought. I have an Alienware x51, and it turns out that a lot of the parts inside. Can be used to make a PC. So I have a graphics card, ram, CPU, and HDD. I can't use the motherboard since it's some kind of mini motherboard, and the fans inside are terrible. The power supply is external, so it's definitely out as well.

So the only things I do need is a motherboard, case, fans, and power supply. I'm planning on looking up some of these parts, to get an estimate on how much I'll need. I'm hoping I don't go over $300 with this.

Will come back if I need any help.

We'll need full specs on what you currently have to give useful information.

Depending on how much you want to spend, 6 cores and DDR4.

I'm already salivating, I just wish the extreme part wasn't the only 8 core. I could POSSIBLY justify spending around 500 for an 8 core but near a thousand, there is no way.

I get it. I do.

But, dude. Don't be making decisions based upon a pretty meh game that has major performance issues that will be patched out. That's like a $800 upgrade for less chugs in a single freaking game. And it's not even that great.

I agree, I have heard about performance issues on all rigs so far. Also, I own the game and it's fairly mediocre if I do say so myself. It's a fun game, but a pretty big disappointment imo.

Smokey

I get it. I do.

It's really not about WD. Don't insult me like that! It's just in general with being at 4k. If I knew I would've got a 4k monitor so soon I wouldn't of got rid of the OG Titans in the first place.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
I get it. I do.

I agree I was about to jump in the black boat, then I realised how ubi are bad in optimisation pc game.
After reading few article about some review 2 gig vs 4 gig I concluded that 6 gig wasn't worth it and the gpu will start lagging before game would use more than 3 gig of ram .

here an exemple:

http://www.legitreviews.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-760-4gb-video-card-review-2gb-4gb_129062/6#wOIRy0IL1tGofFSL.99

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
It's really not about WD. Don't insult me like that! It's just in general with being at 4k. If I knew I would've got a 4k monitor so soon I wouldn't of got rid of the OG Titans in the first place.

well for 4k it's another story, I mean investing in black might worth it

I get it. I do.

Watchdogs is definitely an outlier in VRAM usage so I'm content with my 3GB Ti, but if a 6GB step-up magically happens of course I would take the upgrade too. I think if the Titan Black had been priced down a few hundred I would've considered it a bit harder, but yeah at the price 2 780 Ti's is a much better prospect.

edit: 4K it makes a bit more sense to worry about, but eh. If that's the case you're better off just waiting until the next GPUs since the choices past a 780 Ti aren't that great ATM.

We'll need full specs on what you currently have to give useful information.

What I have:
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX660
CPU: Intel Core 15-3450 (3.10GHz)
Motherboard: Intel H61 Express Chipset (Mini-ITX Motherboard)
RAM: 6GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 1TB

Sorry that I can't be too specific, it's an Alienware so they don't give too many details. Overall, I think I might need to change the motherboard from this build. It seems to be the only thing that won't fit well with a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom