• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

didevol

Oh wow. I figured the cpu would bottle neck at some point.
The quadro is great for 3D apps, but not much more than that(they suck).
SSD, ram and a good GPU it is.
Thanks so much!

So after my MB fried here is the htpc build for my new case:

I already dropped too much on the previous build so I have to stay between $200-300 for these components:

OMo8bHKl.png

Thoughts?

SmartBase

So my April build kinda turned into a June build, but I'm still trying to figure out how long a 4770k could hold up against a 4930k (for the next two to three years).

I was waiting for Haswell-E and Devil's Canyon but judging from the spec leaks and delays it doesn't look like there's any point in waiting to build.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So my April build kinda turned into a June build, but I'm still trying to figure out how long a 4770k could hold up against a 4930k (for the next two to three years).

I was waiting for Haswell-E and Devil's Canyon but judging from the spec leaks and delays it doesn't look like there's any point in waiting to build.
Next week is Computex, tons of info will come out about things at the very least.

wilflare

hmm any recommendations for...
- Docking Station for HDD (both 2.5 and 3.5) preferably USB3.
- Portable USB3 cases.
- Game Capture Card - thinking of getting the Elgato

kharma45

Compatibility question, please:

Building a new system for my dad (non-gamer build). I was thinking of going with one of the two chips:

i5

i3

With the following motherboard:

GA-B85M-D3H

What concerns me is that while the socket types on all three are LGA 1150, the Amazon product description states that neither chip is compatible with Intel motherboards (which the one I linked above is). That does not compute. Why would an Intel chip with the same socket type not be compatible with an Intel mobo? Or am I reading it wrong and am I okay to proceed?

i3 4130 would even do him, save yourself $10 there.

ValeYard

Soooo, I have a few months until my first build in August/September. Trying to figure out the price range etc. I threw in some parts on PCPartpicker. I really like the Corsair 540 case, cause it looks like even I can manage the cables with it. Graphics card price range for me is clearly not above gtx 770, but not sure on 4gb vs. 2gb. The corsair cooler isn't necessary because overclocking wouldn't be my first priority, but I like how it glows and my case has a big window in it. In fact, I think I need some color coordination between graphics card and MOBO... On the optical drive, I opted for a bluray player also, because I will have my pc in equidistance between a monitor and a TV, so multimedia etc. And the sound card is cause I like dolby headphone capabilities. Would be grateful for any feedback, my current monitor is only 1920x1200@60hz, an upgrade is not in the immediate future:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (would probably go with 2x8GB depending on what is best performance-wise for the MOBO)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Green 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card

Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card

kharma45

Soooo, I have a few months until my first build in August/September. Trying to figure out the price range etc. I threw in some parts on PCPartpicker. I really like the Corsair 540 case, cause it looks like even I can manage the cables with it. Graphics card price range for me is clearly not above gtx 770, but not sure on 4gb vs. 2gb. The corsair cooler isn't necessary because overclocking wouldn't be my first priority, but I like how it glows and my case has a big window in it. In fact, I think I need some color coordination between graphics card and MOBO... On the optical drive, I opted for a bluray player also, because I will have my pc in equidistance between a monitor and a TV, so multimedia etc. And the sound card is cause I like dolby headphone capabilities. Would be grateful for any feedback, my current monitor is only 1920x1200@60hz, an upgrade is not in the immediate future:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (would probably go with 2x8GB depending on what is best performance-wise for the MOBO)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Green 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card

Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card

Got a direct link to the build on PC Part Picker handy? Be easier for changing parts.

Items you've picked are all solid. If it's just gaming go for 8GB of RAM.

Chances are your build will change between now and when you come to order as there'll be different offers on for stuff like PSUs.

Be aware too that the BR player likely won't come with software for playing films so you'll need to buy that separately.

kiyomi

Helps if you provide the PC Part Picker link so we can see exactly how much you're paying and stuff. :)

Where in the world are you, UK, USA, Canada, Timbuktu? If you're building in September you should wait for Z97 and Devil's Canyon. If you can't decide between 2GB and 4GB variants of the GTX770, you could go for the R9 280X which is in the same ballpark as the 2GB 770 performance-wise, overclocks nicely, is cheaper and has 3GB VRAM.

Few other changes could be possible - again, you should look to build Z97 instead of Z87, and you probably don't need the Pro Asus motherboard, only if it has features you really want/need. Power supply you could probably do nicer as well, a Cooler Master V550S would be perfect for 770/280X builds, if you don't plan on going SLI.

ValeYard

Sorry for noobishness, here is ze link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/C9QrmG

I'm in Germany, shouldn't go too much over 1000 euros on the build. Will need to video edit on it now and then, but not a crazy amount. My work Macbook Pro was fine for that, but I have to give it back in September. Am thinking of going thin laptop and pc at home and have missed pc gaming; bootcamp just isn't the same, I had to force install new drivers and messed up the whole windows install once.

I was unsure about i5 vs. i7, but price dictated that decision a bit. I wasn't sure when Devil's Canyon was coming, also whether nVidia would be dropping new cards by summer.

Edit: by the way, you guys are great also. Thanks for the quick feedback!

HOLY SHIT!!! I didn't know these graphics card were so damn big. This thing is fucking huge. I had to take bays out my case just to fit the som-bitch in there. :p

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-28%20at%208.43.58%20PM.png

Man, this is learning experience for me. It's been like ten or so years since I last build a computer from scratch.
A bit OT but:
That's one awesome knife. What brand is it? Price?
I love knives, and always wanted one of those knuckle-knives, but sadly never found any high quality ones, just some cheap Chinese 10bucks ones.

//

I'm in Germany, shouldn't go too much over 1000 euros on the build. Will need to video edit on it now and then, but not a crazy amount. My work Macbook Pro was fine for that, but I have to give it back in September. Am thinking of going thin laptop and pc at home and have missed pc gaming; bootcamp just isn't the same, I had to force install new drivers and messed up the whole windows install once.

I was unsure about i5 vs. i7, but price dictated that decision a bit. I wasn't sure when Devil's Canyon was coming, also whether nVidia would be dropping new cards by summer.

Save yourself some bucks on the CPU Cooler, a H60 should still be enough in the case you're looking for, there's lots of airflow anyways, so no hot box
Also, the PSU is kinda overkill for not going SLI. a 550watts-600 is all you need, and even that gives OC headroom.

kharma45

fyi there is a german version of PCP, although it's not as good as the US one

de.pcpartpicker.com

I'll have a play around now and see what's what.

MisterM

Does anyone have much experience with Wireless Gaming Receivers for Xbox 360 pads?

I have used mine perfectly fine in my main PC for a good couple of years with multiple pads connected at the same time etc. I recently let my friend borrow my second PC as a Steam Machine and tested the wireless receiver with it, everything seemed fine. I ordered myself a replacement receiver and left him with my original one.

He's having problems with his controllers randomly unsyncing and he cannot connect more than one device at a time to the receiver. I've tried using Team Viewer to remote onto his machine and uninstalled it from Device Manager, got him to try a different USB port and then re-installed the device using "Microsoft Common Controller Class" > "Wireless Gaming Receiver" drivers. He's still having the same problems.

I've asked him to try turning off his router tonight to see if that helps, it's kinda close and might be causing interference. I dunno, it's a long shot.

It's probably not the correct place to ask but if anyone has any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them.

kharma45

You'll have a hard time staying under €1K going for a set up like that

PCP gave me this when I tried to do a roughly like for like build with the odd tweak, he's gonna have a hard time staying under €1k

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€194.90 @ Caseking)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€97.98 @ Hardwareversand)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€124.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€129.90 @ Caseking)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€103.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€149.29 @ Pixmania DE)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card (€234.98 @ Pixmania DE)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case (€124.90 @ Caseking)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€70.06 @ Hardwareversand)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive (€36.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card (€26.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1293.33
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-29 13:10 CEST+0200)

I'll look at the other site below to see if it gives me anything different.

Why would you use that when there's http://geizhals.at/de/

Didn't know that existed. Will bookmark for future reference for people on here. Guess I'll need to brush up on my German to use it!

ValeYard

I guess he did cause pcpartpicker shows up on every second site in this topic hehe
In the end it doesn't matter which site he uses, as he can always check prices on the sites he's going to order the hardware.

Bingo :)

Thanks for all the great advice. I realize the psu is a bit overkill now, thanks @phxxBullet, will go 650 probably or the suggested Cooler Master V550S from Monosukoi.

Looking at de.pcpartpicker.com the build isn't much over a grand, so that's nice too.

I guess a big question for me is how much will change by September.

LilJoka

Does anyone have much experience with Wireless Gaming Receivers for Xbox 360 pads?

I have used mine perfectly fine in my main PC for a good couple of years with multiple pads connected at the same time etc. I recently let my friend borrow my second PC as a Steam Machine and tested the wireless receiver with it, everything seemed fine. I ordered myself a replacement receiver and left him with my original one.

He's having problems with his controllers randomly unsyncing and he cannot connect more than one device at a time to the receiver. I've tried using Team Viewer to remote onto his machine and uninstalled it from Device Manager, got him to try a different USB port and then re-installed the device using "Microsoft Common Controller Class" > "Wireless Gaming Receiver" drivers. He's still having the same problems.

I've asked him to try turning off his router tonight to see if that helps, it's kinda close and might be causing interference. I dunno, it's a long shot.

It's probably not the correct place to ask but if anyone has any bright ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Dont think its the router as mine sits about 2 feet from my router. But never had any problems with the official MS one. The non-legit ones have some odd driver installation but after that they also work without problems in my experience. Maybe its broken?

kharma45

Bingo :)

Thanks for all the great advice. I realize the psu is a bit overkill now, thanks @phxxBullet, will go 650 probably or the suggested Cooler Master V550S from Monosukoi.

Looking at de.pcpartpicker.com the build isn't much over a grand, so that's nice too.

I guess a big question for me is how much will change by September.

It's not over a grand as it's not picking up some of the parts as they must have different model numbers or something between the US and EU. Take a look at my build up above, it's almost like for like bar cutting the SSD and PSU, and swapping to a 280X as it's much cheaper. If you went with your original one it'd be another €150 maybe.

ValeYard

PCP gave me this when I tried to do a roughly like for like build with the odd tweak, he's gonna have a hard time staying under €1k

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€124.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (€129.90 @ Caseking)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€103.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card (€234.98 @ Pixmania DE)
Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€70.06 @ Hardwareversand)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHOS104-06 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Drive (€36.03 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card (€26.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Didn't know that existed. Will bookmark for future reference for people on here. Guess I'll need to brush up on my German to use it!

Thanks for the tweaks! 1000 isn't a hard limit, if I go over a few hundred I'll just have to do some extra work by September.

SHADES

I'm thinking of replacing my GPU as the 750ti sc just isn't up to what I want tbh. Great card for the money & power output but just not where I want.
What 3GB GPU could my EVGA 500w 80+b PSU support? iirc it's 40 A on the 12 v rail? Was thinking a R9 280 or 760? Would my PSU support either of these cards or should I just get a better PSU now?

MisterM

Dont think its the router as mine sits about 2 feet from my router. But never had any problems with the official MS one. The non-legit ones have some odd driver installation but after that they also work without problems in my experience. Maybe its broken?

Thanks. I don't think it's the router either to be honest. I'll swap it with the new one I've received and see if that makes a difference. It's just weird, I've never had an issue with it before.

TheD

The Detective

Should take the 840 EVO over the M500 and if I was him I would drop the Optical drive and sound card.

Stubo

Some of the z97 boards have built in headphone amps, I think it was the Asus boards in particular are worth a look in that regard.

Could drop the sound card altogether if they have the features you want! Otherwise the Asus Xonar DGX is great, that's what I use.

kharma45

Should take the 840 EVO over the M500 and if I was him I would drop the Optical drive and sound card.

The EVO is the quicker drive but I don't see the need to spend the extra €15 when you'll not notice the difference in day to day life.

Optical drive he wants for movies.

Ovek

7Member7
Some of the z97 boards have built in headphone amps, I think it was the Asus boards in particular are worth a look in that regard.

Could drop the sound card altogether if they have the features you want! Otherwise the Asus Xonar DGX is great, that's what I use.

From what I listened to from my z97 ROG Hero it was quite good, dunno if it has a headphone amp but Asus really push the on-board sound as a "new" updated feature over the old ROG boards.

The Asus Xonar DGX (well any of them really) is a very good sound card for the money.

Ovek

7Member7
The EVO is the quicker drive but I don't see the need to spend the extra €15 when you'll not notice the difference in day to day life.

Very true I used to have SSD's in raid0 with read and write speeds exceeding 1GB/s, it looked cool in graphs but in real life a WD VelociRaptor kept up when loading a games like Battlefield 3 etc...

Akai__

Is using 2 different types of DDR3 RAM a bad idea?

I have 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @1600MHz installed and plan on adding these 2x2GB Samsung DDR3 RAM @1333MHz, to my build.

I guess, they will clock at the lower speed (1333MHz in this case), but apart from that, I shouldn't have problems, right?

Hi Guys,

Biting the bullet and building a new PC after my build from 2011 has become completely outdated.

So, starting fresh, I'm getting the Titan Black and seeking a build that accommodates that. Will want a SSD / HDD combo. That leaves:

- CPU
- Motherboard
- RAM
- Power Wattage

Raiden

Banned
Looking to get myself a new PC soon. Is there a simple way for the lazy man in me? I have a 1200 euro budget and i just want to press one button and get it shipped to me.

What i mean is are there any decent sites that offer complete PC's already built. Or am i still better of doing some research and get it together myself?

Looking to get myself a new PC soon. Is there a simple way for the lazy man in me? I have a 1200 euro budget and i just want to press one button and get it shipped to me.

What i mean is are there any decent sites that offer complete PC's already built. Or am i still better of doing some research and get it together myself?

There's plenty of more knowledgeable people on here, but I myself heard good things about this site

http://www.xoticpc.com/

TheD

The Detective
Very true I used to have SSD's in raid0 with read and write speeds exceeding 1GB/s, it looked cool in graphs but in real life a WD VelociRaptor kept up when loading a games like Battlefield 3 etc...

RAID 0 really only helps with sequential reads and writes.
Most of the performance advantage of SSDs come from their really fast 4k read and write speeds (which varies a lot more between SSDs), then you have the SSD's performance consistency, which also varies a lot between models.

IMACOMPUTA

HOLY SHIT!!! I didn't know these graphics card were so damn big. This thing is fucking huge. I had to take bays out my case just to fit the som-bitch in there. :p

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-28%20at%208.43.58%20PM.png

Man, this is learning experience for me. It's been like ten or so years since I last build a computer from scratch.
Welcome back!
It's a beautiful thing.

Akai__

Hi Guys,

Biting the bullet and building a new PC after my build from 2011 has become completely outdated.

So, starting fresh, I'm getting the Titan Black and seeking a build that accommodates that. Will want a SSD / HDD combo. That leaves:

- CPU
- Motherboard
- RAM
- Power Wattage

I would suggest reading the OP and fill out the Basic Desktop Questions. Both of you. :p

I also recommend to built on your own, because it's a great experience and you will save a coupple € that way. You can find videos, on how to build in the OP, as well.

You could try and see.

You'll not lose much.

Alright, thank you. :D

Possibly much better overclocking without taking the heat spreader off.

So if I'm not looking into overclocking or otherwise tampering with my hardware, would I be safe in building my PC now?

The one thing I plan to play around with (for the first time) is downsampling.

kennah

Hi Guys,

- CPU
- Motherboard
- RAM
- Power Wattage
What are your 2011 specs?

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Just finished to build my new shiny pc :)

So far the computer is dead silent I didn't hear the psu or the h105 even when I benched it with valley, the vga card is very silent compared to my old 6970 it's night and day.

The video card is huge and heavy (780 ti classified from Evga and very well packed)

The MB z97 maximus hero is very well the packed and come with tons of free software and the bios is one of the best and easiest to use i seen so far.

The EVGA psu is huge and heavy and come very well packed with tons of cables.

The 750d corsair is very nice case if you in market for a full tower case i recommend it.

I'm very happy with my purchase so far this computer is a beast!! and with the ssd windows boot so fast compared to regular hd.

The 4770k so far i pushed it to 4.5 without trouble I'm going to push it a little bit more.

That's it.

scogoth

So if I'm not looking into overclocking or otherwise tampering with my hardware, would I be safe in building my PC now?

The one thing I plan to play around with (for the first time) is downsampling.

If you are not overclocking then you can already get the haswell refresh CPUs (i5-4690 and i7-4790)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom