• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the Seasonic G-550 be a good choice? The reviews make it sound quite excellent and it should have more than enough power for the GTX 770 with room to spare for additional stuff I might put in later (but not so much waste as with the EVGA 650)

Sure, it's a good PSU. Won't get any problems with your hardware, it'll easily power everything.

kharma45

I just hope I won't get one of those that are dead on arrival or worse.

Austria. Sadly the price is quite high here, over 90€.

Are you able to buy from places like Amazon.de and other German sites, or is it easiest to stick to Austrian ones? Just wondering so I could look online for you to see what else you could get.

Zaru

Are you able to buy from places like Amazon.de and other German sites, or is it easiest to stick to Austrian ones? Just wondering so I could look online for you to see what else you could get.

I can, the cheapest are in the 90s range
Whole EU is 85€ upwards which is moot with delivery costs

I'm potentially looking at a new SSD and was wondering what the differences between the 840 Pro and 840 Evo are?

On Amazon, the 840 Evo 250GB can be had for £90 and the Pro counterpart about £140. What separates the two?

kennah

I'm potentially looking at a new SSD and was wondering what the differences between the 840 Pro and 840 Evo are?

On Amazon, the 840 Evo 250GB can be had for £90 and the Pro counterpart about £140. What separates the two?
In most scenarios? 50 quid.

The day to day differences are minimal. Only get the a Pro if you need it for pro work.

kharma45

In most scenarios? 50 quid.

The day to day differences are minimal. Only get the a Pro if you need it for pro work.

I'd just grab the M500 at £78. You'll not notice the speed difference between it and the 840 EVO. The Samsung is better don't get me wrong but I don't see the need to pay more over the Crucial.

I can, the cheapest are in the 90s range
Whole EU is 85€ upwards which is moot with delivery costs

How does this compare price wise after postage? http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-XFX-XTR-Series-Modular-80--Gold_962289.html

It's the exact same unit as the Seasonic G550, just a different badge on the outside and the fact it has hybrid fan mode. Oh and they made it fully modular too. So a few tweaks for the better.

I'd just grab the M500 at £78. You'll not notice the speed difference between it and the 840 EVO. The Samsung is better don't get me wrong but I don't see the need to pay more over the Crucial.

I did have a look at the Crucial however the write speed of only 250MB/s seems slow compared to the 520MB/s of the Evo.

Zaru

How does this compare price wise after postage? http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-XFX-XTR-Series-Modular-80--Gold_962289.html

It's the exact same unit as the Seasonic G550, just a different badge on the outside and the fact it has hybrid fan mode. Oh and they made it fully modular too. So a few tweaks for the better.

Woah, can it really be safely assumed that the XFX one works exactly the same as the G-550? Aside from some minor efficiency loss through extra modularity, I mean.

zychi

Banned
Did you find those korean monitor good for gaming ?

Yes. I played Mario Kart 8, WoW, BF4 on pc and ps4, cod ghosts, mlb the show 14 ps4 and some old 360 games. Great monitors, I'm just trying to decrease my amount of stuff on my desk. One big monitor is what I really want. the Crossovers I had weren't overclockable, but were basically Apple's Thunderbolt Displays in a different case.

kharma45

Woah, can it really be safely assumed that the XFX one works exactly the same as the G-550? Aside from some minor efficiency loss through extra modularity, I mean.

Yes. All XFX units are rebranded Seasonic's. This one is a G series rebrand. XFX has two SKUs of it, the XTR line and the TS line. TS is fully wired and then this XTR one is fully modular. From [H]'s review if you want something more than just my word to go on:

The build quality of the XFX XTR 750W starts things off today on an excellent note as it is even better than the Seasonic G-Series that the unit is based on. Externally, this unit is very well done with a great fit and finish that follows along with the general aesthetic that XFX has used on its prior power supplies. Interestingly, this power supply is a bit different from the Seasonic G-Series that it is based on as it is fully modular versus semi-modular. This modularity is paired with a mix of FlexForce cables and standard wire loom sleeved cables.

When we move to the interior of the unit, we see that we are looking at the same layout that we saw from the G-750 but we have a Hong Hua FDB fan for cooling today as opposed to the ADDA fan that Seasonic had used previously. The actual integration is just about identical to what we saw from the G-750 and the component selection is as well. When it comes to component selection, the standard capacitors are provided by Nippon Chemi-con and Rubycon and the solid capacitors are provided by Enesol. Overall, what is interesting about this is that where Seasonic had been solidly positioning its G-Series as a midrange product, XFX has tweaked it a bit to make it seemingly more competitive with what other companies are offering at a bit higher positioning

I did have a look at the Crucial however the write speed of only 250MB/s seems slow compared to the 520MB/s of the Evo.

It's all relative I guess. Against the 840 Evo it's slower no question, next to an HDD it is still blazing fast. Your call, you'll not go wrong with either and the Samsung is objectively better if you take price out.

kharma45

Can someone link me a good cheap motherboard that would work with this CPU?

Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

How cheap is cheap? What size board? The D3H is a good ATX board http://www.ncix.com/detail/gigabyte-z87x-d3h-atx-lga1150-z87-bd-84040-1016.htm?affiliateid=7474144

You can go cheaper again with this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...tionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na

Yes. All XFX units are rebranded Seasonic's. This one is a G series rebrand. XFX has two SKUs of it, the XTR line and the TS line. TS is fully wired and then this XTR one is fully modular. From [H]'s review if you want something more than just my word to go on:

Interesting. I'm curious as to what other PSU/HDD/FAN brands use the same internals and just throw some different sticker on it.

Zaru

Damn, the cheapest shops put it near or above the G-550 in terms of price if I include shipping. Can't beat Amazon's conditions there, and they don't have it
Oh well I'll have to go with the G-550 then, it will work out

kharma45

Interesting. I'm curious as to what other PSU/HDD/FAN brands use the same internals and just throw some different sticker on it.

In the PSU world you'll find lots of units sharing platforms from the likes of CWT, Seasonic and Super Flower.

For example these are both practically the same unit

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/550w-xfx-core-edition-p1-550s-xxb9-80-plus-bronze-1x135mm-fan-atx-psu

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-bronze-s12ii-520-80-plus-bronze-1x120mm-fan-atx-v23-psu

as are these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371059

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095

and these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...29&cm_re=xfx_750w_gold-_-17-207-029-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...87&cm_re=seasonic_x750-_-17-151-087-_-Product

Those are just some off the top of my head that I know all use the same platform.

Some OEMs will make tweaks, like XFX has done with the XTR where they've added a better fan which can do hybrid mode (and a quieter bearing on it too) and made it fully modular relative to the G series unit it's based on.

Damn, the cheapest shops put it near or above the G-550 in terms of price if I include shipping. Can't beat Amazon's conditions there, and they don't have it
Oh well I'll have to go with the G-550 then, it will work out

You'll not go far wrong with it.

Sorry, ATX is the size.

Then one of those two is a solid choice. Z97 will support the next wave of CPUs, Z87 will only take what's out now.

SHADES

I have the Crucial M500 after being recommended it by fellow gaffers, very happy with it indeed. You get what you pay for I guess in terms of the Evo though personally I wanted to save on that area of my build but the crucial is no slouch.

zychi

Banned
I am using the Samsung U28D590 4k monitor. It's <$700. It's not without it's faults. The stand is not adjustable and it is a TN panel.

There's also this Asus PB287Q 4K monitor. Supposed to come in <$700.

It uses the same panel as the Samsung but the stand is far superior. You can actually adjust it, tilt, it and use swivel. Neither are perfect, but for their price they are a nice entry into 4k IMO.

Just make sure you have the hardware to push games at that res if you go this route.
that asus monitor is apparently impossible to find anywhere but ebay. every site points you to the inferior 27inch 1440p monitor. any idea where i could purchase it? LinusTechTips seems to love it, and I think I'm sold on it.

kennah

that asus monitor is apparently impossible to find anywhere but ebay. every site points you to the inferior 27inch 1440p monitor. any idea where i could purchase it? LinusTechTips seems to love it, and I think I'm sold on it.
It's not out yet.

L.O.R.D

hi
i just format my laptop to install windows 7 pro
my laptop is msi ge60
i have 2 slot , one is normal SATA slot , and the other is M-Sata SSD
MSI_GE70_96.jpg
before the format , the mSata SSD was disk 0 and the HDD was Disk 1 ( i think )

when i wad to format , i removed the HDD and kept the SSD
and finished installing windows 7
this how it look without the HDD

seem normal...right ?

so , i attached the HDD to usb converter and formatted under windows

everything is ok right now

so , i turned off my laptop , installed the HDD in the right place and this happen

???

how this happen ?
why it become disk 0 ?
i formatted again with and without the HDD installed , same thing

is that gonna make some problem in the future ?

Have a question regarding SSD's as well. Is overprovisioning absolutely necessary? And if so how many %? Samsung magician recommends 10% but that's a lot of disc space.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Nvidia's 334.89 drivers are rock solid for me, but when using the 337.50 or 337.88 drivers, if I'm browsing Firefox then my mouse will randomly start lagging and a few seconds later my machine will freeze (games run fine though). I guess they still have a few kinks to work out with the new enhanced drivers...

Exuro

Nvidia's 334.89 drivers are rock solid for me, but when using the 337.50 or 337.88 drivers, if I'm browsing Firefox then my mouse will randomly start lagging and a few seconds later my machine will freeze (games run fine though). I guess they still have a few kinks to work out with the new enhanced drivers...
I've been having issues similar to this as well. Going to roll back and see if it fixes it.

Stat!

Here you go:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($259.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($136.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.95 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB ACX Video Card ($269.04 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($93.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Memory Express)
Total: $1083.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-16 13:10 EDT-0400)

I'd actually suggest jumping on that PSU as soon as possible. That unit sells for $130-150 USD normally. It's a killer unit that powers two of my own computers and a number of friends' as well.

Just to make sure before I purchase, I'd like other people's thoughts. Not that I don't trust mkenyon, but its good to have opinions before I make this purchase and build my first computer. My budget is between 1-1.2k Canadian and I'd like to not upgrade for 4-5 years.

The other question I have is reducing the size of the SSD and getting a larger HD with a smaller SSD.

On top of that, Windows 8 or Windows 7?

Zaru

Just to make sure before I purchase, I'd like other people's thoughts. Not that I don't trust mkenyon, but its good to have opinions before I make this purchase and build my first computer. My budget is between 1-1.2k Canadian and I'd like to not upgrade for 4-5 years.

I doubt any graphics card below 400$ will still play modern games satisfyingly in 4-5 years. Depending on your personal game preferences, that might not matter at all, but don't expect to max out multiplat titles at 1080p several years down the line. We're at the beginning of a new console gen.

Calibus

i3 4130 would even do him, save yourself $10 there.

D'oh -- saw this too late, he's already placed the order for the i5. Thanks, though, I may be building a basic Linux crash box for myself here soon and I'll keep this one in mind as an i3 is all I will really need for that.

appaws

Banned

The other question I have is reducing the size of the SSD and getting a larger HD with a smaller SSD.

On top of that, Windows 8 or Windows 7?

Looks good to me.

Yeah, I'd say forget about 4-5 years even if you were to spend twice as much. "Futureproofing" is a chimera that a lot of people talk about all the time....but for gamers I would say it's a fool's errand.

I would not go any smaller than that for the SSD, and if you are building now I would go with Windows 8.1, key from Reddit softwareswap.

Stat!

I doubt any graphics card below 400$ will still play modern games satisfyingly in 4-5 years. Depending on your personal game preferences, that might not matter at all, but don't expect to max out multiplat titles at 1080p several years down the line. We're at the beginning of a new console gen.

Looks good to me.

Yeah, I'd say forget about 4-5 years even if you were to spend twice as much. "Futureproofing" is a chimera that a lot of people talk about all the time....but for gamers I would say it's a fool's errand.

I would not go any smaller than that for the SSD, and if you are building now I would go with Windows 8.1, key from Reddit softwareswap.

Thank you for the input.

I guess the feeling I have is - Im spending 1200 (I'll get a 360 controller, keyboard, mouse, windows) and by the time Im done spending, it"ll be around there including tax I assume. The issue is I don't mind not playing things on max settings but it should be playable and up to par with a ps4/xbox one in 5 years and that I don't want to keep having to drop $300 to upgrade me pc every 3 years just to play AAA games as this will primarily be used for gaming and not much else (since I own a laptop which I much prefer using for the everyday stuff).

Thoughts, ideas?

maneil99

Where did you get 337.89?

Alright. So I posted my specs in this thread before asking for advice but that was ages ago and the post is buried. I wasn't able to build at the time because I was in the process of buying a house, moving, and then my wife had a baby, so you could say I was distracted and my priorities were elsewhere.

Anyway...

My Current Specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
RAM - 2x2GB DDR2 800
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
GPU - Radeon HD 4870 512MB
PSU - Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU (Maybe 500?)
Case - Antec Performance One P180B Case
HDD - SanDisk Extreme 120GB SATA III SSD

Budget: ~$1000, US - An important note is that although I have about $1000+ to spend, doesn't mean I want to spend that "just because" if I can get a cheaper part that will perform the same or just slightly worse than something that's hundreds more, I'd rather do that.

Main Use: Mostly internet browsing, although I do go through gaming "binges" where I'll play quite a few games in a short amount of time. I also do emulation here and there, although it's usually classic arcades and consoles. I have a PS2, Wii, etc, hooked up to a dedicated tube TV.

Monitor Resolution: Largely at 1080P although I may upgrade to a higher res monitor in the future. Currently, I have no desire to.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Probably my SSD and secondary HDD that I have in the case. I also have a Creative Labs X-Fi in there that will be moved to the new case. I may buy a new PSU but not sure. It's >380W since I had to return it at some point under warranty and I was "gifted" a larger watt replacement. I just can't remember what the higher wattage is.

When will you build?: Soon. No deadline.
Will you be overclocking?: No, unless it's a stupid easy one like the Q6600 is. I will not be overclocking if it means hours upon hours of testing to squeak out a few Mhz.

Pachimari

Okay, here's the thing; is the Logitech HD Pro C920 the best webcam on the market for video chatting and streaming?

Gotta pick a webcam today.

DoctorZ

I finally decided on a SFF case to move my mATX setup from my CM Storm Scout. Chose the Silverstone SG09 as it fit my needs of a large size reduction to make the system more portable and also facilitates all my current PC components. I like the Node 304, but I didn't feel it justified the cost of a new mITX mobo and having to deal with the PSU/GPU conflicts that might happen due to the case's configuration.

For those with SFF cases and take them with them places, do you just put it your back seat of do you use a duffle bag or large backpack or something? Do they make anything for carrying PC's besides the Silverstone Sugo Pack or the custom NCASE M1 carrying bag that's sold on etsy.

Tempted to get one of those Asus 4K monitors as using my TV can get a bit frustrating at times for general browsing/color reproduction. There just seems to be a ton of new tech in the monitor market at the moment so I'm not sure whether to wait a year or so or just jump on something now.

LordAlu

Alright. So I posted my specs in this thread before asking for advice but that was ages ago and the post is buried. I wasn't able to build at the time because I was in the process of buying a house, moving, and then my wife had a baby, so you could say I was distracted and my priorities were elsewhere.

Anyway...

My Current Specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz
RAM - 2x2GB DDR2 800
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
GPU - Radeon HD 4870 512MB
PSU - Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU (Maybe 500?)
Case - Antec Performance One P180B Case
HDD - SanDisk Extreme 120GB SATA III SSD

Budget: ~$1000, US - An important note is that although I have about $1000+ to spend, doesn't mean I want to spend that "just because" if I can get a cheaper part that will perform the same or just slightly worse than something that's hundreds more, I'd rather do that.

Main Use: Mostly internet browsing, although I do go through gaming "binges" where I'll play quite a few games in a short amount of time. I also do emulation here and there, although it's usually classic arcades and consoles. I have a PS2, Wii, etc, hooked up to a dedicated tube TV.

Monitor Resolution: Largely at 1080P although I may upgrade to a higher res monitor in the future. Currently, I have no desire to.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Probably my SSD and secondary HDD that I have in the case. I also have a Creative Labs X-Fi in there that will be moved to the new case. I may buy a new PSU but not sure. It's >380W since I had to return it at some point under warranty and I was "gifted" a larger watt replacement. I just can't remember what the higher wattage is.

When will you build?: Soon. No deadline.
Will you be overclocking?: No, unless it's a stupid easy one like the Q6600 is. I will not be overclocking if it means hours upon hours of testing to squeak out a few Mhz.
Something like the below would do you just fine for your use without going overboard for just occasional binge gaming:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $719.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-01 02:49 EDT-0400)

EgfMoDY.jpg

Strange error message since I don't use Thunderbolt nor do I have the Thunderbolt addon card for the MBO installed. WTF?

I disabled everything I don't use (Bluetooth, onboard Wi-Fi, that non-Intel SATA controller, etc.).

This error came up after I updated the BIOS from 1205 -> 1802.

Any thoughts on what this could be? o_O

Rig:

Asus Z87-Pro v1802 BIOS
Intel Core i5-4670K
Noctua NH-D14
2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3, 1600MHz
XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition
Corsair HX520, 520W PSU
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, MZ-7PD256BW
Western Digital WD10EZEX, 1TB SATA-III
ASUS DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B/AS
Dell U2412M, 24” LED 1920x1200
Microsoft Ergo 4000 Natural Keyboard
Razer DeathAdder 2013 mouse
Antec P183
Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64

EgfMoDY.jpg

Strange error message since I don't use Thunderbolt nor do I have the Thunderbolt addon card for the MBO installed. WTF?

I disabled everything I don't use (Bluetooth, onboard Wi-Fi, that non-Intel SATA controller, etc.).

This error came up after I updated the BIOS from 1205 -> 1802.

Any thoughts on what this could be? o_O

Rig:

Asus Z87-Pro v1802 BIOS
Intel Core i5-4670K
Noctua NH-D14
2x4GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3, 1600MHz
XFX Radeon 7850 2GB Black Edition
Corsair HX520, 520W PSU
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, MZ-7PD256BW
Western Digital WD10EZEX, 1TB SATA-III
ASUS DRW-24F1ST/BLK/B/AS
Dell U2412M, 24&#8221; LED 1920x1200
Microsoft Ergo 4000 Natural Keyboard
Razer DeathAdder 2013 mouse
Antec P183
Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
Just a quick googlin'
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2027152/asus-z87-pro-thunderbolt-error-weird-behaviour.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/s/z87+pro+boot+issue+thunderbolt+related/
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2011144/problem-graphics-card-work.html

In the PSU world you'll find lots of units sharing platforms from the likes of CWT, Seasonic and Super Flower.

For example these are both practically the same unit

Aaah, interesting. Should keep that in mind when hunting for a new PSU.

Checked all of them, that's why I asked here. :)
Nothing is applicable here since this problem started after the BIOS update, not before.
Everything was working fine before (still is, if you disregard that message), so I don't really now what's going on here.
Something with the BIOS for sure. Maybe they'll fix it in the next update.
Oh well...

Checked all of them, that's why I asked here. :)
Nothing is applicable here since this problem started after the BIOS update, not before.
Everything was working fine before (still is, if you disregard that message), so I don't really now what's going on here.
Something with the BIOS for sure. Maybe they'll fix it in the next update.
Oh well...

Well, did you try resetting the BIOS to default as mentioned in those posts, and then updating it again?

Ashhong

Hey guys I remembered that I have a windows 8.1 pro N key from reddit that I ended up not using because I went with windows 7 in the end. Does anybody want to buy it for 10$? I have a link to the ISO as well

Seriously, what's the difference between Logitech C920 and Logitech C920-C?

Google says

"Yes, the C920-C is just like the C920, but is specifically made for business, since you won't need to install any extra software in order to use it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom