• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

KScorp

Planning to build in a few months. Coming from a 6 year old machine, so everything will be new. Just wondering about what single-card NVidia GPU I need to get to fulfill my needs (if one exists):

Currently targeting 120FPS@1440p for a handful of older games (CS:GO, TF2, Dota 2, Fallout NV, etc). Strict requirement.
Getting a G-sync monitor so I'm not worried about most other games running below 120 FPS, but ideally they would still run at ~60 FPS on High, maybe even Ultra. Not a strict requirement, especially for newer, graphically demanding games.
I have a dual monitor setup, secondary monitor is just for multitasking and coding. (Not sure how this would affect the primary monitor or GPU requirements.)

If it helps, I will be getting a 4790K. I haven't planned out the rest of my build yet.

Would appreciate any suggestions for what would be minimally required (ie, cheapest).

velociraptor

Why is RAM so expensive... ugh

3+ years ago I paid for 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600mhz RAM for...£60.

Price now? £60.

I was under the impression prices drop over time!

Smokey

I suggested the following in the PC thread. I've had a few people take me up on the offer. Since money is exchanging hands it was brought up to cross post in the B/S/T thread as a sort of documentation. So here it is:

Users so far:
Smokey
Mkenyon
Ricohetguro
Cuban Legend
Piratethingy
SparkleMotion
Noren
Old Gimlet Eyes

Updated

Gonna cut it off here. That's 8 4790k's. I'll send email when it gets closer for PayPal details etc.

No one really knows for certain about future releases. Everything is kind of "probably" until it really happens. Probably Q4 this year or Q1 next year.

I was curious since the new Devil's Canyon just came out, I wondered if it was because Broadwell had been delayed until next year and it was a way to hold people over until then.

Smokey

New cards expected? I want at least an idea of what I'd need, if possible. Or to be told that it isn't possible currently.

Not until late late this year or early 2015.

For 1440p/120ps you'll most likely need to go SLI (Nivida) or Crossfire (AMD)...meaning 2 GPUs

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
New cards expected? I want at least an idea of what I'd need, if possible. Or to be told that it isn't possible currently.
I'd say 780Ti ATM, I don't keep track of rumor launch mill as much as some people here do, but I think we have something new in a few months?
Haven't had much free time to check this kind if stuff recently.

The 120FPS in Source games is a lot easier, but you do want a really fast CPU to help smooth out some frame latency spikes (low fps).

If you add in other games demand goes a lot higher.

mkenyon

Banned
Not until late late this year or early 2015.

For 1440p/120ps you'll most likely need to go SLI (Nivida) or Crossfire (AMD)...meaning 2 GPUs
Yep. Given the G-Sync part though, you'd be looking at SLI 780s/780Tis. A 6GB 780 was just released by ASUS, and that would be what you want to look at.

Alright how's this for my second build idea?

I picked that motherboard because eventually I will be upgrading to 32GB of RAM for work (bioinformatics). Also picked Xeon because I found it to be cheaper to i7 but still comparable.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($203.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion 400W ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $571.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 19:25 EDT-0400)

Smokey

Just saw the Witcher 3 trailer

;_____;

Prepare ourselves for a flood of requests in the coming months wanting to max that bad boy out

Zeth

Alright how's this for my second build idea?

I picked that motherboard because eventually I will be upgrading to 32GB of RAM for work (bioinformatics). Also picked Xeon because I found it to be cheaper to i7 but still comparable.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($203.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion 400W ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $571.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-05 19:25 EDT-0400)

I'm looking for something similar - mostly for Dota - as a second PC. Also looking to pick up all of my parts at a local Microcenter so I might have to make some adjustments to the standard OP build.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Glad people could finally see something about it.
Once people see a hunt they are going to get even more excited :D

Game looks that good.

NJDEN

I'm thinking about selling my current rig, then using the money to partly pay for a new one...

This is what I have so far:

PSU: Corsair RM-850 (I know its over priced, but I like the modular wiring system)
RAM: Whatever is on sale and fits over all color scheme. 1600 mhz
CPU: either (i7 4790K LGA 1150) or (i7 4770K LGA 1150) only a $20 price difference between the two at Microcenter so I figured I might as well go for the 4790K
SSD: Crucial M500 240 GB SATA III
GPU: Zotac GTX 770 - 4GB DDR5
MOBO: Any recommendations?
Case: Any recommendations (I plan on water cooling in the future)

If you guys could recommend me a good Mobo thats LGA 1150 (Z87 or Z97), not super expensive and keeps a black / blue color scheme that would be awesome. Also if you guys think anything else should be different please say so!

Also, I just want to say that I'm not necessarily going for the cheapest route, but I want it to look aesthetically pleasing. My last build was kind of a hodgepodge of parts and colors.

Calibus

Can't speak for anyone else, but there's just a real thirst I have for building a system from scratch -- even if it's for someone else, or an el-cheapo secondary play box for myself. I just love the feeling of system building and can't wait to do it again.

scogoth

Hey guys, sorry if it's not relevant or no one else cares but me, but it seems Skylake is abandoning the integrated voltage regulator. :D

That makes me happy. Oh, and some general Skylake details. That's what I'm waiting for... AVX3.2, DDR4, PCI-E 4.0, and now they're ditching that voltage regulator that makes offset overclocking a pain. Those sources reliable?

Edit: Plus 20nm production at TSMC has finally become available for GPUs.

I wouldn't put too much faith in wccftech, they haven't proven reliable in the past (if I'm not confusing them with another site)

TheD

The Detective
I wouldn't put too much faith in wccftech, they haven't proven reliable in the past (if I'm not confusing them with another site)

You are not, wccftech are a bunch of idiots that thought that the Nvidia drivers that gave that performance boost did it with tiled resources!

So they are as (not)smart as an xbox fanboy in my mind.

Saw private demo of it. Shits so good. People don't even know.
I bet they show the beast with the red eye for the hunt sample. Ooooooooooooooooh shit's gonna steal E3.

Wut, how in the world did you get a private demo of The Witcher 3?!

blinkz

I got a Ultra Defender II Black ATX Mid-tower free from a friend who was upgrading and for the life of me I cannot find a liquid cooling system that will fit any allow me to close the case correctly due to how the window is on the side of the case.

Does anyone have any experience with these and know of a cooling system that will fit inside this thing?

Ashhong

Quick question for you guys. I'm giving my parents my old antec 300 PC and they are putting into a small cabinet. Should I reverse the fans since there will be no hole in the back? Make the front fan an exhaust or something? Does it not really matter?

M3z_

Cross post
PC Parts US48 & Paypal only

Seagate 240 GB SSD $70

Kingston 120GB SSD $40

3Ypc4lHl.jpg

x3 R9 290 Asus DirectCU II $310 *No mining & Original Box*

ePiJJv9l.jpg

BY9nxC3l.jpg

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question for you guys. I'm giving my parents my old antec 300 PC and they are putting into a small cabinet. Should I reverse the fans since there will be no hole in the back? Make the front fan an exhaust or something? Does it not really matter?

If possible I'd recommend out of the cabinet.

If you push the air out the front, it has to pull air from the vents located in the cabinet. So you will pull air that is going to be extremely warm due to the power supply and video card exhausting out the back. This will cause an increase in case ambient temperature, by how much is hard to say.

I personally try to leave at least 18 inches (46cm) of open space behind my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom