• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
800 series

WHEN

ZncZhrn.png

Nvidia cancelled the 800 series. They're re-imagining themselves as a dairy company.

Henceforth they're relocating nearby a Pennsylvania Dutch district where they'll adapt Amish butter-churning secrets.

Sorry :(

This is me lol
At least my 670 is still serving me well. And this way I don't spend too much all at once!
If 20nm is available only now for GPUs, will anything 20nm arrive before year's end. Or are we looking at Q1 2015?

My 780 is so weak

Barely capalbe of rendering solitaire

Need upgrade

Tablo

My 780 is so weak

Barely capalbe of rendering solitaire

Need upgrade

LOL. Oh come on 780?! Stop whining :p

Sidenote, I'm so mad that the ROG Impact VII isn't coming out until the fall...
I want to build right after I'm back from vacay in early July...
Can only hope this Asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132122 will OC a 4790K pretty well with a Noctua UH14S in a Node 304!
I guess it's alright, save like 80$, I wouldn't even use the soundcard thing, or most of the features, I just wanted the extra fancy components and pure sexiness... :'(

Also sad thing is I was really hyped seeing these M.2 PCIe 4x SSDs coming out, but I'm going to end up going for a Crucial SATA based one so I can afford 1TB/512GB...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($333.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($113.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.10 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($529.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1336.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 03:24 EDT-0400)

For someone who knows nothing about PC specs and building a PC, i had my friend compile this for me. How good would this be for future games like Witcher 3?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Not 4790K at end of month
Need Z97
MX100 256GB double capacity same price
CX PSU just say no, get VSM absurd value

6/10

290X is prettttttty fast, I think you'll be fine.

fanboi

Banned
So my build is looking like this:

CPU: INTEL CORE I7 4790K 4.0GHZ 8MB S-1150 HRF

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-AR BLACK EDITION Z97 S-1150 ATX HRF

GPU: GIGABYTE GEFORCE GTX 780 GHZ EDITION 3GB PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP

PSU: XFX Core Edition 750W

Stand: Fractal Design Define R3

Memory: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP and Corsair 4GB (2x2048MB) 1600MHz XMS3

HDD: 40GB 2.5" SSD Intel X25-V G2 SATA RETAIL and 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ

So if you would upgrade something what would it be? I have like 100 Euro more to spend (live in Sweden).

Skyzard

Banned
Skyzard said:
May I suggest one of these cable things:

Really worth it.

Think it is called a bungee. Not my pic above but I have the razer one.

Not really

A bit of scratch tape on the desk gives similar results :D

I can feel a big difference, especially with FPS games. I used to use tape or whatever but it's not as awesome with the cable suspended above in the middle like that and with some pull. A great buy.

Addnan

If you guys are specifically upgrading for Witcher 3 Nvidia card might be a decent idea. The game is using all the fancy fur tech and probably other stuff too.

I have a problem with my latest build:
I'm using this setup:
Itek Case nCUBE Mini ITX 200W PSU Full Black
ASUS H81I-PLUS
Crucial M500 SSD SATA 120 GB, 6 GB/s, 2.5
Intel Core i3-4130T
Corsair Ddr3 1600Mhz 4G 2X240Dimm

Basically, the power button doesn't seem to work. I checked all the cables multiple times, and the LED on the mother board turns on as soon as I plug the power. But when I press the power button, nothing happens. I suspected it might have been an issue with the connectors (PWR LED, PWR HD LED and PWR WR), but after plugging and unplugging them multiple times, and in different orientations, nothing changes (yes, I read the motherboard's instructions). Am I missing something? Does the polarity matter?

New day, new problems :/ motherboard's hdmi and VGA connectors don't seem to work ( haven't tried DVI because I got nothing to connect it to). Tried with two different monitors, and both get "no signal".

kharma45

Memory: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP and Corsair 4GB (2x2048MB) 1600MHz XMS3

HDD: 40GB 2.5" SSD Intel X25-V G2 SATA RETAIL and 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ

So if you would upgrade something what would it be? I have like 100 Euro more to spend (live in Sweden).

Bigger SSD.

aTTckr

I'm planning on reusing my 120 GB and 16GB RAM for a new PC with otherwise all new components. I've never reset my system with a SSD before, but it should be the same procedure as with a regular HDD right?

I'm planning on reusing my 120 GB and 16GB RAM for a new PC with otherwise all new components. I've never reset my system with a SSD before, but it should be the same procedure as with a regular HDD right?

Yeah, same procedure.

Definitely a bigger SSD drive. I am on a 64 GB drive and I would like to put way more on it, but even when I keep things to a minimal amount it quickly fills up. Mostly because all kinds of programs install stuff in the Appdata and such. I use a lot of software though.

Also is the R3 cheaper for you than the R4? Otherwise just go for the new one.

New day, new problems :/ motherboard's hdmi and VGA connectors don't seem to work ( haven't tried DVI because I got nothing to connect it to). Tried with two different monitors, and both get "no signal".

and now it won't turn on again, even though the led turns on. FFS :/ shorting does nothing, either

Seanspeed

Banned

Get a 128GB SSD and CPU cooler.

Remeard

I need some quick help regarding a build for my brother. He's going to be doing some video editing, but on a pretty tight budget (Around $600). He would like to get 16gigs of RAM, but if we have to upgrade later on in order to do so that'd be fine.

This is what I got. Any suggestions or major changes I should do to keep the price down or have a higher quality part I would certainly appreciate.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.44 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $660.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 07:44 EDT-0400)

Remeard

Primarily it's Adobe Premier and After Effects.

Of course, he'd like some PC gaming on the side, but that's mostly a secondary right now. He just finished up a feature film he did for his Master's Degree, so he no longer has (as much) access to the school's computer he was using to do all this stuff.

kennah

Primarily it's Adobe Premier and After Effects.

Of course, he'd like some PC gaming on the side, but that's mostly a secondary right now. He just finished up a feature film he did for his Master's Degree, so he no longer has (as much) access to the school's computer he was using to do all this stuff.
He'll need an nvidia card then. The 750Ti is cheap and a beast for video editing stuff (considering the price). As fast as a 580.

scogoth

So my current PC specs are here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...iteid=je6NUbpObpQ-TEiH_6893e5giyZPKjoB.w#N352

It's pretty old, I know. But I'd like to play some games on it, if possible, and I know that involves getting an actual video card. I don't want to go buy a whole new PC and I'm okay playing older games, but I have no idea what video cards would work with it.

750Ti, one of the ones without the need for extra power. The PSU is really under powered but thankfully the 750Ti is magically efficient. Something like this http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3753-KR

Ourobolus

Banned
Quick question:

If I have my monitor in one room, and my TV in another (but still relatively close to each other - say a 15' cable is long enough), what's the best way to output my video to either at any time? Do I simply just need a video card with two HDMI outputs and then switch when needed?

Dunfisch

I'm calling for a degree of help!

I'm putting together a system upon which I'll use some 3D DCC programs, some Photoshop and most especially Unreal Edit for the current engine iteration.

I wouldn't normally be asking, but I figure it doesn't hurt to consult Gaffers for a secondary input. Take note that I'll both work on that system, test on that system and then it will be accessible to the public. Ultimately, go with the expectancy that it'll be running hot from morning to evening, so cooling has to keep up.

It doesn't need to be the most powerful system, but I'll need RAM and VRAM due to expected use of lots of high res textures / complex meshes, which is why I forego a more powerful GPU in favour of more VRAM. CPU shouldn't pose a bottleneck, nor HDD space for what I intend. The later I can always expand on anyway.

Here's the spec.

I'm also crossposting in the Unreal Engine 4 thread, if you wish to indulge me there :D .

sol_bad

I have a PC question and I wasn't sure where else to ask it.
I was just scanning my pc with Microsoft Security Essentials and my PC constantly was making beeping sounds as it scanned. I have noticed my PC doing this at other very random intervals as well for not particular reason at all.
It sounds like a beep it would make at start up when there is an error. Has anyone experienced this before?

scogoth

Quick question:

If I have my monitor in one room, and my TV in another (but still relatively close to each other - say a 15' cable is long enough), what's the best way to output my video to either at any time? Do I simply just need a video card with two HDMI outputs and then switch when needed?

Yes any card with two outputs will work. Even if you have built-in graphics as long as it has two outputs it will work. If you don't need to have different images on each screen just put it in mirrored mode and then you just turn your tv or monitor on and off when you use them.

I'm calling for a degree of help!

I'm putting together a system upon which I'll use some 3D DCC programs, some Photoshop and most especially Unreal Edit for the current engine iteration.

I wouldn't normally be asking, but I figure it doesn't hurt to consult Gaffers for a secondary input. Take note that I'll both work on that system, test on that system and then it will be accessible to the public. Ultimately, go with the expectancy that it'll be running hot from morning to evening, so cooling has to keep up.

It doesn't need to be the most powerful system, but I'll need RAM and VRAM due to expected use of lots of high res textures / complex meshes, which is why I forego a more powerful GPU in favour of more VRAM. CPU shouldn't pose a bottleneck, nor HDD space for what I intend. The later I can always expand on anyway.

Here's the spec.

I'm also crossposting in the Unreal Engine 4 thread, if you wish to indulge me there :D .

Looks pretty good. Only thing I would change is the cooler to a CoolerMaster Hyper212, I'm sure the Arctic Cooling one is fine but the Hyper212 can be vouched for by many many people here. Its cheap, good, quiet and a workhorse.

I assume you will be overclocking to get the most for your money? I would just recommend you keep it 100mhz or 200mhz lower than a gaming overclock just to ensure 100% stability.

Ourobolus

Banned
Yes any card with two outputs will work. Even if you have built-in graphics as long as it has two outputs it will work. If you don't need to have different images on each screen just put it in mirrored mode and then you just turn your tv or monitor on and off when you use them.
Awesome, thanks. I wanted to make it so that I can play games on the TV when the wife isn't around so I don't hog it, and then move to my office if need be.

Alright, after watching the new witcher 3 trailer, I want to make a computer with specs high enough to play it 60 fps at max settings. Hopefully the 4790k devils canyon will let me do this. Just have to wait until the end of the month.

scogoth

Alright, after watching the new witcher 3 trailer, I want to make a computer with specs high enough to play it 60 fps at max settings. Hopefully the 4790k devils canyon will let me do this. Just have to wait until the end of the month.

i7-5960X
4x TITAN Black
EVGA X99 Classy
128GB DDR4 RAM
4x 1TB SSD

Should get you pretty close.

News!

ruS1gPs.jpg

I believe this a loophole exploit in the Intel chipset. Not officially supported by Intel.
This was already the case 1-2 years ago. Mainboard companies would allow to OC with B/H boards, and intel would bring a fix via windows which was requiered to install.

fanboi

Banned
Bigger SSD.

Yeah, same procedure.

Definitely a bigger SSD drive. I am on a 64 GB drive and I would like to put way more on it, but even when I keep things to a minimal amount it quickly fills up. Mostly because all kinds of programs install stuff in the Appdata and such. I use a lot of software though.

Also is the R3 cheaper for you than the R4? Otherwise just go for the new one.

I already have the R3 so yeah, much cheaper :)

Get a 128GB SSD and CPU cooler.

Any good SSD? I have a CPU cooler: Cooler Master CPU-coolerHyper 212 Plus - Socket 775 / 1366 / 1156 / AM2-3, would this one work for my spec?

LOL. Oh come on 780?! Stop whining :p

Sidenote, I'm so mad that the ROG Impact VII isn't coming out until the fall...
I want to build right after I'm back from vacay in early July...
Can only hope this Asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132122 will OC a 4790K pretty well with a Noctua UH14S in a Node 304!
I guess it's alright, save like 80$, I wouldn't even use the soundcard thing, or most of the features, I just wanted the extra fancy components and pure sexiness... :'(

Also sad thing is I was really hyped seeing these M.2 PCIe 4x SSDs coming out, but I'm going to end up going for a Crucial SATA based one so I can afford 1TB/512GB...

Are the ROG boards announced this week really not coming out until the fall?

I already have the R3 so yeah, much cheaper :)

Any good SSD? I have a CPU cooler: Cooler Master CPU-coolerHyper 212 Plus - Socket 775 / 1366 / 1156 / AM2-3, would this one work for my spec?

The new MX100 is amazing value, it is out very recently though, so stock may still be low and prices may be getting lower.

LilJoka

This was already the case 1-2 years ago. Mainboard companies would allow to OC with B/H boards, and intel would bring a fix via windows which was requiered to install.

Yes, but Intel making a similar mistake on H97 chipset, kind of odd. These functionality is supposed to be limited by the chipset, not just the BIOS, otherwise we would see it on all boards. I believe Intel forced manufacturers to include CPU Microcode updates in the newer BIOS releases to prevent it.

mkenyon

Banned
Building based on assumptions or even "recommended" specs is a great path towards disappointment. If you're going to build for a specific game, wait until it is released to make decisions. Then there won't be any doubt about what parts to buy.

Found the "news" from 2013:

http://us.hardware.info/news/36278/intel-restricts-overclocking-on-h81-b85-and-h87-chipsets
Motherboard manufacturers have figured out how to send commands to it, allowing the voltage and Turbo multiplier to be adjusted on non-Z87 motherboards as well, resulting in an overclocked system.
Intel has plans to remove this 'feature' by releasing a firmware update. The adjustments will be part of a new BIOS-update. An update to the operating system could also introduce the rewritten microcode into the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom