• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

gragy10

Lounge PC GAF - has anyone a mini-ITX Z77 motherboard they have a good/easy experience of fitting into an EVGA Hadron? (while also accommodating a standard 580)

kharma45

Ok, thanks to the feedback here, I have a final final build. Went for the Z87 mobo, changed up the hdd's and picked 600w psu

Case: Antec Three Hundred Two - - tower
PSU: Corsair PSU/Builder Series CX 600W EU Version
MB: Asus Z87M-PLUS
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K - 3.4 GHz
GPU: ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5
RAM: Vengeance - Memory - 8 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

If you've not ordered already i would swap that PSU. Where are you located?

Is that RAM the low profile stuff?

kennah

Lounge PC GAF - has anyone a mini-ITX Z77 motherboard they have a good/easy experience of fitting into an EVGA Hadron? (while also accommodating a standard 580)

Any ITX board would fit into a Hadron. The problem you'd run into is the CPU cooler. I'm fond of the Noctua NH-L12

Make sure to check your cooler height and space specs carefully. Lots of things won't fit in that case.

Bydobob

If I plan to only game in 1080p, would a 780 be overkill?

I've been thinking about building a new PC with my tax return, but wouldn't necessarily buy a new monitor right away (max resolution on my monitor is 1920x1080).

Sorry for chiming in late. I debated the same thing but I'm glad I went with a 780. It most definitely is not overkill at 1080p if you want to play the most demanding games at max settings and hit 60fps.

I've been putting my newly built system through its paces with 2 of the most demanding games, Metro Last Light and Crysis 3, and I can't average 60 at 1080p without scaling back on the AA (SSAA x2 and SMAAx2). Games are only going to get more demanding from here, see developers comments on Witcher 3 which is supposed to be the next system killer.

I also agree with Kharma when it comes to monitors for these cards. For fps that go north of 60 you'll need a 120/144hz monitor to see the most benefit. I swapped my original 60hz monitor for a 144hz and can vouch it's on a different level for fluidity. They don't have to cost an arm and a leg either.

Alex

I've had this exact card for about 3 weeks now. so far its been pretty solid. started to downsample at 1440p and 1600p here and there and i get pretty good frame rates in BF3. gets a little hot for my liking. it reached 70 a couple times but i just need to get a bigger case with more airflow.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know if this card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133490&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Video+Card+-+Nvidia-_-PNY+Technologies++Inc.-_-14133490) can have it's voltage unlocked?

Helping a friend with their PC and curious about overclocking prospects. I need to be careful though as I'm spoiled rotten on 7950 overclocking. God, I love that card, for 179.99 and easily pushed past 680 levels, it was the best GPU I've ever purchased. Too bad Bitcoin nonsense has made them 350-400+ dollars.

mkenyon

Banned
Sorry, to clarify I mean the Hadron Air Mini-ITX listed in the OP
I'm not sure where your confusion is. Any ITX board fits in the Hadron. In terms of good Z77 boards, I'd suggest the ASUS P8Z77-I.
NVIDIA cards cannot be voltage unlocked without voiding the warranty by flashing the BIOS. There's no exception to that.

kennah

Sorry, to clarify I mean the Hadron Air Mini-ITX listed in the OP

I know... ITX is a standard. If something says it will fit ITX it means it will fit ITX. Like I said, the problems you will run into will be with a cooler. Your 580 is probably 'fine' but we would need to know the exact model number to tell if you it won't fit or not.

Izayoi

Banned
Anyone have any suggestions for a good wireless mouse/keyboard combo to pair with a tablet? Doesn't need to be super fancy, but I would like a full size mouse at the very least. I was looking at this, but it does not include a mouse.

Thorgal

My new card and PSU arrived today .

Greatness awaits !

Update : Greatness has arrived .

20140131_182018kfya2.jpg

Runs great .
What a beast !

Has anyone tried EVGA products outside their GPUs? I really love their customer support and their GPUs. I was thinking of possibly trying out their EVGA Hadron Air cases and their PSUs since their GPU quality is so high. Any experiences with them?

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Anyone have any experience with computer chairs out there? I had a cheapie 150 dollar PoS that bit the dust a while back (been using a very uncomfortable replacement) and I need some opinions on a new one. I've been looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006H1QW1W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seems to get decent enough reviews, but as is the case with chairs there are a few negatives. This particular model seemed to be a good performance/value ratio without spending a small fortune. Any other suggestions out there at a similar price?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone have a 21:9 monitor? They look awesome.

knitoe

Has anyone tried EVGA products outside their GPUs? I really love their customer support and their GPUs. I was thinking of possibly trying out their EVGA Hadron Air cases and their PSUs since their GPU quality is so high. Any experiences with them?

I have the EVGA 1300W PSU to run SLI Titans. Other then it works just fine, I don't have anything else to say. Bought it for power and 10 year warranty.

mkenyon

Banned
All their PSUs are rebrands, much like the other big name companies (CoolerMaster, Corsair, Rosewill). Some are duds, some are okay, some are good value. The only one worth buying, IMO, is the one in the OP. Otherwise you're better served by the other options in the OP, namely CM/Corsair's Seasonic rebrands or even Corsair's Flextronics stuff like the AX-XXXi series.

The case is good for what it is.
Anyone have a 21:9 monitor? They look awesome.
Would be awesome for a workstation monitor, but meh as a gaming monitor. 120Hz/G-Sync are far more important.

zainetor

Banned
Feel dumb for asking, but im having troubles putting hdmi cable, inside an asus 770 cu.
It doesnt go in, the hole is the right one of course. Never had this problem with amd gpus. Do i need some kind of special cable?

mkenyon

Banned
Feel dumb for asking, but im having troubles putting hdmi cable, inside an asus 770 cu.
It doesnt go in, the hole is the right one of course. Never had this problem with amd gpus. Do i need some kind of special cable?
Need pictures. You sure you're not trying to put it in a Displayport?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I kind of want one as a workstation monitor. I have a Korean 1440p, though, and wouldn't know where to sell it. I found a $300 one. Seems like a good deal.

Gaming, though, would be cool if most games supported it.

mkenyon

Banned
I kind of want one as a workstation monitor. I have a Korean 1440p, though, and wouldn't know where to sell it. I found a $300 one. Seems like a good deal.

Gaming, though, would be cool if most games supported it.
You'd be giving up quite a bit of resolution. Instead of 2560x1440, you'd be at 2560x1080.

zainetor

Banned
Need pictures. You sure you're not trying to put it in a Displayport?
Yep.
Thats the other port, i know it. It stops as soon as i try to fit in.
Tried different cables , same result. Dont want to force too much, im afraid of damaging the port. Its strange...I ll have to buy a dvi cable now.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Would you guys recommend going with a 760 now instead of a 270X since the price has gone up to $220 for the 270X's?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
If you've not ordered already i would swap that PSU. Where are you located?

Is that RAM the low profile stuff?

Why the different PSU? Should I pick the Gamer series instead of Builder? I thought Corsair was excellent in general...

RAM: CORSAIR / CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10B Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 10-10-10-27 Unbuffered Blue

Bboy AJ

You'd be giving up quite a bit of resolution. Instead of 2560x1440, you'd be at 2560x1080.
If only that 4k 21:9 Dell monitor would hurry up and come out. Then be $300.

mkenyon

Banned
Why the different PSU? Should I pick the Gamer series instead of Builder? I thought Corsair was excellent in general...

RAM: CORSAIR / CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10B Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 10-10-10-27 Unbuffered Blue
Corsair uses a ton of different OEMs for their PSUs. Their only standout models are the Seasonic (AX-XXX) and Flextronics (AX-XXXi) units. The RM series is looking good though, just needs more time in the wild.
Would you guys recommend going with a 760 now instead of a 270X since the price has gone up to $220 for the 270X's?
Absolutely.

kharma45

As mkenyon said they use lots of different OEMs so quality varies a lot. The CX units aren't great, and neither is that gamer series.

Also that RAM is the tall stuff and you'd be better off with something lower profile.

kharma45

Shambles

As mkenyon said they use lots of different OEMs so quality varies a lot. The CX units aren't great, and neither is that gamer series.

Also that RAM is the tall stuff and you'd be better off with something lower profile.

Yeah, those CX units are pretty disappointing. I've seen some of them that aren't even grounded properly. Sketchy stuff, spend the extra cash for something with some QC behind it.

I've been out of the PC Parts loop for about a year and notice that "older" GPU's are still in demand for Bitmining. Did a quick ebay search and it looks like my Gigabyte 7950 is selling for over $350! No interest in mining so would I be crazy not to toss it up there and pick up a R9 280 or GTX 770?

mkenyon

Banned
I've been out of the PC Parts loop for about a year and notice that "older" GPU's are still in demand for Bitmining. Did a quick ebay search and it looks like my Gigabyte 7950 is selling for over $350! No interest in mining so would I be crazy not to toss it up there and pick up a R9 280 or GTX 770?
Not really. Both are pretty much side-grades. The 780 for $150 is tempting though.

kharma45

Yeah I wouldn't swap a 7950 for either of those tbh. It overclocks so well it'll be a side grade as mkenyon said. That being said if you were to put cash towards it the 780 is $480 http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...-3GD REV2.0&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1101

It, the 780 Ti the 290 and the 290X are the only things worth upgrading to and since prices are still out of whack in the US Nvidia is your only option if you wanted to change.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hey kharma I was searching the thread a bit and saw you recommending this PSU as well. Would this be a good option for me? Reading stuff about poor build quality makes me worried and I don't want to cheap out on a PSU since I know its quality is important.

thespot84

I've just been waiting for a question like this. Finally I can just say read this and your questions will be answered.

well i certainly feel educated however it explicitly didn't answer my questions. Given the options in BF4:

MSAA off:2x:4x
Post (FXAA) off:low:high
resolution scaling up to 200%

What's the most efficient? Is resolution scaling at 133% (2560/1920=1.333333333) exactly the same thing as running @2560x1440 and scaling down via the nvidia control panel? nvidia scaling doesn't play nice with borderless so I have to play fullscreen, which is a pain in the ass.

Erebus

I need some insight from someone who has overclocked their Haswell CPU. From my understanding, the most power efficient way to overclock these chips is to use offset/adaptive voltage similar to the SB/IV platforms. However, after doing some research I read that Haswell in particular can draw higher amounts of voltage during specific synthetic benchmarks that make use of the AVX instructions set. If I'm not mistaken this couldn't happen to SB/IV.

With that in mind, is it safe to use manual voltage for overclocking a 4770K?

kharma45

Hey kharma I was searching the thread a bit and saw you recommending this PSU as well. Would this be a good option for me? Reading stuff about poor build quality makes me worried and I don't want to cheap out on a PSU since I know its quality is important.

It's a good unit but it's over priced when not on offer. At that price point you'd be wanting a Gold rated unit. If you're comfortable with rebates then the 520w is a good deal at $64 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

If you want a Gold unit then Corsair has this 650w at $80 after discount code and rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Both units are Seasonic based.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is it normal for Windows Update to be at 0% for 10 minutes :p?

Ok guys so Windows Updated itself and I still have no Wifi... I'm so mad ._. anyone know what else I can do...?

I still haven't removed and installed new Wifi drivers but I don't even know which one it is that I should change!

udJ4wAB.jpg

coughlanio

I'm having issues with AMD Overdrive, when I try and start it, the screen goes black and the computer reboots. I just upgraded to 13.30 beta and still the same issue, removed the previous drivers in safe mode using DDU, removed AMD Overdrive and installed the new drivers and AMD Overdrive. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro, straight off MSDN. It's a new build, new OS install. 7850K, 290x, 16GB DDR3, A88XM-Pro. No OC. Everything seems to be working fine, tried some benchmarks and stress tests and everything is stable, expected performance from games etc.

From the event viewer:

Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>3</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-02-01T04:52:06.845935100Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>1766</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>Chris-PC</Computer> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

This is the year for a new PC. I dabbled with a laptop, and it's great for what it's used mostly for: dota 2.

But outside the 'system killing' games like BF and Crysis 3, it's played everything brilliantly.
But my roots are in bigger machines. Witcher 3 and Dragon Age are coming and they look great.

I'd already built a preliminary build with a few compromises and it ended up being pretty darn close to the $884 build, kudos!
I think I'll start with a dedicated SSD for the OS and my files will be on a regular hard disk with steam mover moving my current games to a smaller SSD until I can afford a bigger SSD.

One day I'll get into 100+hz gaming, but for now my wallet can't support that =[

LordAlu

Ok guys so Windows Updated itself and I still have no Wifi... I'm so mad ._. anyone know what else I can do...?

I still haven't removed and installed new Wifi drivers but I don't even know which one it is that I should change!

udJ4wAB.jpg
What's your laptop make and model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom