• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheD

The Detective
The 8350 is only as fast as a i5 when it has been given an extremely multithreaded workload and when doing said workload it also eats about 2x the power as the i5 (power usage also gets kind of insane when overclocking).
It is also on a dead socket.

The 8350 is only as fast as a i5 when it has been given an extremely multithreaded workload and when doing said workload it also eats about 2x the power as the i5 (power usage also gets kind of insane when overclocking).

Thanks for the info. Think the i5 will be good enough for a few years for next gen games? Or should I aim for something like an i7 for that?

Anyone have the Anker 8200 DPI mouse? I need to replace my mouse and have heard good things, but was wondering if anyone had any experience. Not looking for a claw grip mouse, I need something that supports the whole hand well.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
I would definitely go with 598's or maybe AKG Q701's (which are $200.) 598's are supposedly very comfortable, I have 558's (which are extremely comfortable) and 598's are apparently even more comfortable. In terms of sound quality, they're both neutral, so they won't be really exciting if you listen to a lot of bass heavy stuff, but they sound really great otherwise. For gaming, the 598's have good positional audio, but I've read that the Q701 is unparalleled when it comes to positional audio. The only downside of the AKG's is that you'll need a pretty decent soundcard or amp to power them.

Yup, I have these, and can confirm they are amazing, and super comfortable...I have no issues wearing them for 8 hours straight. Love them!

bro1

Banned
My new Msi gtx 770 gaming card is making a slight clicking sound when it is idle. At full load it goes away. Do you think it's a bad bearing in the fan?

Also I am running two of these in sli on an asus z77 sabertooth with an corsair ax860i psu. I may have gotten an extra gtx 770. Can I run 3 way sli with at psu and mobo?

Quick question, do 7200rpm HDDs benefit at all from being connected to a SATA 3 port? I have two HDDs, both are 500gb, both are 7200rpm, but one supports SATA 3 while the other only supports SATA 2.

Since I've built my PC I've been using the SATA 2 HDD as my primary drive, for my OS and programs (I got the SATA 3 HDD later). I've also had both connected to SATA 2 ports (unknowingly honestly). I am going to do a fresh install of my OS soon and I'd like to know if it is worth the effort to connect my SATA 3 HDD to a SATA 3 port and use it as my primary.

This is the HDD by the way. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

Finally got money to upgrade my graphics card.

How important is the ram on it these days? Would it be silly to buy a ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 (2 GB) intead of ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 (3 GB)?

I had the 2GB Asus 770 and then found the 4GB for only $20 more. I returned and upgraded as current games such as AC4 and BF4 are already pushing the 2GB threshold.

Also, if you're looking to SLI, you will want 4GB. There's no such thing as future proofing but look for a deal on the 4GB as it'll come in handy one day.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
I had the 2GB Asus 770 and then found the 4GB for only $20 more. I returned and upgraded as current games such as AC4 and BF4 are already pushing the 2GB threshold.

Also, if you're looking to SLI, you will want 4GB. There's no such thing as future proofing but look for a deal on the 4GB as it'll come in handy one day.

Yeah, definitely go with the 770 (4GB version) over the 2GB version if you can/find it for not much more, or go for the 780 if you can. 780's right now are at such a good price/performance ratio.

Update: Also, the 780's RAM (3GB) is not only more than the 770's (2GB version), but also faster, and better RAM...so its a little more complicated than basing your decision purely on quantity. Hope that makes sense.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I doubled my system's RAM by buying two new 4GB RAM sticks for a total of 16GB DDR3 @1300. However, first i noticed that my Windows experience dropped to 7.6 for both, CPU and Memory performance. Then, I ran a couple of 3DMark Vantage test and I'm getting a very low score CPU score of 9335 for a 2600K @stock speed, much lower than on prior tests. What could had happened and how could I solve the issue?

IMACOMPUTA

I need advice!
I want to have a second PC for friends to come over and game on. All I really need is a motherboard/CPU and GPU. I pretty much have everything else.
But I'm having a tough time deciding what to do. I've always wanted to build a small form factor PC so I feel like this is a good excuse to do that, and then the PC can double as my LAN portable PC.
But my friend offered to sell me a phenon II 840 quad core, motherboard, and case for $75.
This is all well and good but I still need a GPU.
Before that offer I was planning on buying a fractal node, micro itx mobo, and kaveri a10-7850k.
I don't think I'd need much more GPU power than that, but it'd be $350 compared to the $75 for the phenom.

I kind of feel stupid spending so much on a friend computer, but if I have to buy a GPU as well its getting closer to the $350 of the small form factor that I really want.

What is the best GPU I can get on a budget ?

wildfire

Banned

Everything makes sense but the last point. Intel doesn't care about saving people money on motherboard upgrades. AM3 socket is dead but AMD is always better about socket support. AM3 has been around long enough.

TheD

The Detective
Everything makes sense but the last point. Intel doesn't care about saving people money on motherboard upgrades. AM3 socket is dead but AMD is always better about socket support. AM3 has been around long enough.

But AM3+ looks to be dead, general intent is irrelevant.

wildfire

Banned
What is the best GPU I can get on a budget ?
There are good GPUs in the 150-250 price range but which one to get depends on the power supply you are using. What PSU do you have?

But AM3+ looks to be dead, general intent is irrelevant.

I already acknowledged that AM3 is dead. But when (well if considering the rumors about no socket version) Intel releases their next CPU series on Broadwell they won't be using an 1150 socket either considering what they have done in the past which is why mentioning AMD has a dead socket is irrelevant.

AJLma

The 8350 won't get more use in the next year or two?

I used to think it would but now I'm not so sure. At this point I'd say an 8350 is a gamble as a long-term solution.

They have their uses though, and the line doesn't look like it'll be upgraded for at least another year and a half, so it'll probably maintain its price point for a while. I had a 6350 that I held on to while I waited for the right time to upgrade to an i7.

TheD

The Detective
There are good GPUs in the 150-250 price range but which one to get depends on the power supply you are using. What PSU do you have?

I already acknowledged that AM3 is dead. But when (well if considering the rumors about no socket version) Intel releases their next CPU series on Broadwell they won't be using an 1150 socket either considering what they have done in the past which is why mentioning AMD has a dead socket is irrelevant.

Current rumors put Broadwell on LGA1150 (but from looking it up, possibly with some incomparable PCH changes).

The 8350 won't get more use in the next year or two?

As I said in my post, even with programs making use of more cores, the 8350 is going to be burning 2x the power of an i5 and it will still be only around the same speed (as the i5).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I doubled my system's RAM by buying two new 4GB RAM sticks for a total of 16GB DDR3 @1300. However, first i noticed that my Windows experience dropped to 7.6 for both, CPU and Memory performance. Then, I ran a couple of 3DMark Vantage test and I'm getting a very low score CPU score of 9335 for a 2600K @stock speed, much lower than on prior tests. What could had happened and how could I solve the issue?

NM! During the installation of the RAM, the CPU heat sink got lose, which was causing the CPU to overheat, so It was capped @ 2Ghz when on load.

I'm leaving my message as a cautionary tale for the rest. :p

longdi

Banned
Well, all done for the time being. Next upgrade will be a new GPU in 2015 I think.

Modular is so damn nice. Entire rig probably lost 3 lb of weight, and cables are so much nicer now (still not perfect, but whatever).

Next case will probably drop the DVD drive entirely and go bayless somehow...

why you put a fan up in the bay? wont it just suck up the front input to cool your...DVD drive?

IMACOMPUTA

I have a Corsair GS700.

I'm gaming at 720p on this. I was hoping to spend no more than $100 on a GPU. (not opposed to buying used)
Been looking at the AMD 7770, as I figure mantle would be pretty beneficial on a phenom II 840.

Or should I get the APU?

DarkFlow

Banned

Lately Intel has kept the socket the same till the tick (Die shrink), and Broadwell is on track to be LGA 1150 also.

wildfire

Banned
I have a Corsair GS700.

I'm gaming at 720p on this. I was hoping to spend no more than $100 on a GPU. (not opposed to buying used)
Been looking at the AMD 7770, as I figure mantle would be pretty beneficial on a phenom II 840.

Or should I get the APU?

The 7770 will be a smart buy even if Mantle wasn't available for the games you play. The APU doesn't come close to discrete card like that one.

Reading some other forums I was surprised by the near-universal vehement dislike of water cooling systems like the Corsair h100i recommended in the OP. People are pointing to review after review showing that air cooling solutions, like the Noctua NH-D14, perform better than all but $300+ all-in-one solutions, at 1/5th the price.

Does Haz have some information the rest of the internet community doesn't? It's making me lose confidence in his choices if he's recommending a cooling solution near-universally condemned as a "fad for amateurs".

Rambotito

Hey guys,
I was thinking about making a basic Kaveri build.

Here is what I have selected : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2LJmM

Budget: Price Range + Country : 9000 pesos or around 650 dollars. I live in Mexico.

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming at 720p , nothing else.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
I would like to play Thief , Titanfall, Dragon Age Inquisition, SWTOR, Mechwarrior Online, and future games at 720p at medium settings running at around 30fps.

Looking to reuse any parts?: Only my DVD-R drive

When will you build?: Within 3 months Do you have a deadline? By May 2014

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, with an aftermarket cooler eventually to 4.5 ghz but not now. I just need to get up and running.

My goal is to have a small PC hooked up to my 720p TV 90% of the time. I would like to play my chosen games at 40fps. I live in Mexico, so budget gaming is a must because of the horrible tariffs that we have. I am open to buying better components only if they are really worth the extra cash. Everything that is made in China is slapped with a huge importation tax as well as a VAT of about 17%.
I may eventually add a discrete GPU but something with low wattage that my PSU can likely support ( like a R9 270x).

Reading some other forums I was surprised by the near-universal vehement dislike of water cooling systems like the Corsair h100i recommended in the OP. People are pointing to review after review showing that air cooling solutions, like the Noctua NH-D14, perform better than all but $300+ all-in-one solutions, at 1/5th the price.

Does Haz have some information the rest of the internet community doesn't? It's making me lose confidence in his choices if he's recommending a cooling solution near-universally condemned as a "fad for amateurs".

People are haters for a number of reasons. As someone that installed a h100i today, I can say that it's fantastic. It lowered max temps in bf4 by 20* compared to stock. I can also stress test comfortably and it is very quiet. It's a fine piece of equipment that has outperformed any traditional hsf.

People are haters for a number of reasons. As someone that installed a h100i today, I can say that it's fantastic. It lowered max temps in bf4 by 20* compared to stock. I can also stress test comfortably and it is very quiet. It's a fine piece of equipment that has outperformed any traditional hsf.

20* compared to stock.

No one (that I've seen) is claiming that stock is superior to the h100i. What I'm seeing near-universally at Toms Hardware, Anandtech, and Guru3D is that the h100i (and all component specific closed water coolers, not just the h100i) is louder, more expensive, lower performing, and riskier (leak risk) than preferred after-market air cooled solutions.

Filth

How do you guys combat dust getting in your setups? I just had my 550 ti video card fans die and I'm getting heatsink errors. Their wasn't much dust really. Replaced my video card and have a new heatsink coming Monday. Any tips??

mkenyon

Banned

Those are mostly my doing.

Haswell and Ivy both have heatwalls that no amount of cooling can cure. A lot of the times when you see these types of comparisons, they are using Sandy, Sandy-E, Ivy-E, or even old Nehalem/Lynnfield stuff. All of those have heat spreaders soldered on. This is important, because it eliminates the processor as a variable in terms of judging the cooling ability of a heatsink.

Now, in terms of what that translates to in real world performance is that dissipation of watts is not nearly as meaningful as it once was. If you want something that is quiet and allows you to overclock your processor to a realistic max of 4.2-4.5, then a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 or Xigmatek Gaia does the job, and does it for a fraction of the price of even Noctua stuff. That's why it remains in so many different builds.

When you start looking at the all in one liquid coolers, it's a choice of simplicity, ease of use, and aesthetics.

Installing a waterblock on a CPU is a very simple task. It's a couple screws with a simple backplate mechanism. Installing a radiator to a fan is as easy as installing the fan itself. Four screws. Top this off with the fact that the screws for the waterblock are often designed to provide an exact amount of pressure also eliminates issues with user error in terms of mount quality.

After installation, it's also a lot easier to get inside a system to mess with things if you start having random issues. Let me ask you, would you rather reseat RAM, unplug a CPU power plug, or even the mobo 24 pin in this:

d14b.jpg

Or this:

To add to that, which one would you rather clean out? Which one would you feel better about transporting to a LAN?

Both Haz and I have been around for a long time. We've used a number of cooling devices in our machines. Hell, I think the old Thermalright Venomous X on my Phenom IV system probably does a better job of dissipating heat than the H60 I use on a couple machines in my house, but I don't really care because it's a giant fucking hunk of metal that hangs off my motherboard. I can't tell you how many bloody knuckles I've had installing those, or the old Zalman copper coolers, or having my hands cramp up while making sure my 8-pin power is plugged all the way in.

The internet often falls into the trap of performance:$. When you don't buy very many parts, it's easy to get pulled into that conversation and lose sight of everything else. But when you build 20-50 systems a year, and are exposed to all sorts of stuff, then the little things start to stand out. Those number of little things add up to be a giant pain in the ass.

tl;dr - We still recommend the CM Hyper 212 style coolers to everyone as a baseline. Only when they want something fancy, to improve aesthetics, or to improve usability do the closed loop coolers come into play. People flock to these items, despite the worse performance:$, and to embrace that, we pick out what we like best of those to include in the OP.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
edit: blah

How do you guys combat dust getting in your setups? I just had my 550 ti video card fans die and I'm getting heatsink errors. Their wasn't much dust really. Replaced my video card and have a new heatsink coming Monday. Any tips??

Trying installing or making some dust filters for your fan intakes.

Thanks for the fantastic reply, mkenyon. Still not sure which way I want to swing, but you've definitely given me something to think about.

mkenyon

Banned
For those curious about the 8350 performance and wondering if it's going to get any better, or any more widely used.

Short answer: Not really. IPC sucks and the game is going to stutter even if it's not explicitly shown in FPS charts, which still always favor Intel if it's a proc demanding game. Kaveri Athlons might be a worthy budget processor.

Long answer: Read this post, and this thread to help make sense of it.
Thanks for the fantastic reply, mkenyon. Still not sure which way I want to swing, but you've definitely given me something to think about.
\m/

Those are mostly my doing.

Haswell and Ivy both have heatwalls that no amount of cooling can cure. A lot of the times when you see these types of comparisons, they are using Sandy, Sandy-E, Ivy-E, or even old Nehalem/Lynnfield stuff. All of those have heat spreaders soldered on. This is important, because it eliminates the processor as a variable in terms of judging the cooling ability of a heatsink.

Now, in terms of what that translates to in real world performance is that dissipation of watts is not nearly as meaningful as it once was. If you want something that is quiet and allows you to overclock your processor to a realistic max of 4.2-4.5, then a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 or Xigmatek Gaia does the job, and does it for a fraction of the price of even Noctua stuff. That's why it remains in so many different builds.

When you start looking at the all in one liquid coolers, it's a choice of simplicity, ease of use, and aesthetics.

Installing a waterblock on a CPU is a very simple task. It's a couple screws with a simple backplate mechanism. Installing a radiator to a fan is as easy as installing the fan itself. Four screws. Top this off with the fact that the screws for the waterblock are often designed to provide an exact amount of pressure also eliminates issues with user error in terms of mount quality.

After installation, it's also a lot easier to get inside a system to mess with things if you start having random issues. Let me ask you, would you rather reseat RAM, unplug a CPU power plug, or even the mobo 24 pin in this:

Or this:

To add to that, which one would you rather clean out? Which one would you feel better about transporting to a LAN?

Both Haz and I have been around for a long time. We've used a number of cooling devices in our machines. Hell, I think the old Thermalright Venomous X on my Phenom IV system probably does a better job of dissipating heat than the H60 I use on a couple machines in my house, but I don't really care because it's a giant fucking hunk of metal that hangs off my motherboard. I can't tell you how many bloody knuckles I've had installing those, or the old Zalman copper coolers, or having my hands cramp up while making sure my 8-pin power is plugged all the way in.

The internet often falls into the trap of performance:$. When you don't buy very many parts, it's easy to get pulled into that conversation and lose sight of everything else. But when you build 20-50 systems a year, and are exposed to all sorts of stuff, then the little things start to stand out. Those number of little things add up to be a giant pain in the ass.

tl;dr - We still recommend the CM Hyper 212 style coolers to everyone as a baseline. Only when they want something fancy, to improve aesthetics, or to improve usability do the closed loop coolers come into play. People flock to these items, despite the worse performance:$, and to embrace that, we pick out what we like best of those to include in the OP.

Well said. And for those that claim the h100i is loud, they must be installing something incorrectly. Adding two fans will add some noise I guess but they are high quality parts from corsair and I honestly can hardly tell the difference.

Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you read on the internet. Try a h100i yourself and then form an opinion.

NoRéN

Filters and regular clean ups with computer duster. I added filters to the side intake of my corsair 200r case and I open it up and dust at least once a month.

Ok, got a tentative build. Normally the wife would kill me, but my company will be picking up the core components (CPU, motherboard, RAM, SSD, and PSU).

I heard some rumors about Maxwell in February, but it seems like it's just going to be their mid range solution. A 750i or some-such. Anyone see any point waiting?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Neutron Series GTX 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($147.09 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($495.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($182.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1930.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-02 02:37 EST-0500)

longdi

Banned
Well said. And for those that claim the h100i is loud, they must be installing something incorrectly. Adding two fans will add some noise I guess but they are high quality parts from corsair and I honestly can hardly tell the difference.

Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you read on the internet. Try a h100i yourself and then form an opinion.

or try a Swiftech H220! :p
Noise? what noise?
Add a couple of filters like these (look ma, its magnetic, no screws needed!), you will never need to mess with cleaning off dust gunk stuck between fins of those huge ass coolers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm not that big a fan of the X60 I have (2x140mm rad). I decided to finally see if it really mattered and even dremeled part of my case to make it fit.

I had a TRUE and a TPC812 and both cooled very similar to the X60 unless I go crazy with the fans. My delid Ivy just runs too hot :/

For most I'd absolutely stick with a $20-$35 air heatsink with PWM, there's almost no benefit to spending more unless you want to for looks, another 0.1 - 0.2Ghz, or noise reasons. Maybe 'If you want fancy' should be elaborated on more onto what the tradeoffs actually are.

Wow, great catch. I'll do that. Removing 8.1 from list.

[EDIT] Are you sure that still works? The poster's name has been deleted. When I looked up his older posts it seems he doesn't have a profile. Has he been banned?

It is a month old, so probably not, but look at the main page of the subreddit and you can see a lot of offers.

Thorgal

Quick question : I have the 780 TI classified with the ACX cooler and it is an amazing card ( A bit bigger then i expected but it fitted nicely ) but there is one minor issue :

The led light is constantly on and i cannot switch it off via Geforce experience .

Anyone have any ideas ?

It is not really a problem but i would rather have the option to switch it off .

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
So, I'm not quite happy with performance of my hd. 7950. Have overclocked it with amd overdrive, but the performance i get with AC4 and even Far Cry 3 leave a lot to be desired. Is there any resonable upgrade i can do without paying through the nose, that will actually improve performance noticeably.

Gtx 780 is way too expensive for me, just as a reference.

My cpu is i5 3470k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom