• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfoul

So, I'm not quite happy with performance of my hd. 7950. Have overclocked it with amd overdrive, but the performance i get with AC4 and even Far Cry 3 leave a lot to be desired. Is there any resonable upgrade i can do without paying through the nose, that will actually improve performance noticeably.

Gtx 780 is way too expensive for me, just as a reference.

My cpu is i5 3470k.

AMD pricing is in a weird place right now because of the mining boom. You probably wouldn't see anything significant unless you went Geforce GTX 780 or Radeon R9 290. You could take advantage of the market and sell the Radeon 7950 for a nice return and buy something else.

Me personally, I'm waiting for prices to stabilize, and to be adjusted in the next coming months. We should also start seeing 28nm Maxwell cards trickling into the market, starting with the GTX 750 ti this month.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
EDIT: Maybe i'm a noob or maybe it's just too early but I think I found VLC to be the issue. Would play a video and the temp would jump 15-20 degrees immediately. Tried 3 other video players and did not happen. Fresh reinstall of VLC and now it barely raises 2 degrees so must have been some weird option checked somewhere?

So after having my build running strong for 3 months I noticed my CPU fan revving up a lot. I am running a Intel i5 4570 (non K). I'm sure these temps are nothing to worry about but considering before this everything ran under 30C easy I am worried.

Would reapplying the thermal paste be vaiable option or should I look into a Hyper 212 EVO?

Eh1QDd4.png

zainetor

Banned
mhh, ok I installed the 770, was trying crysis3 but V-sync doesn't work.
I have it on on both game and controla panel, but when I play, tearing is Always present.
of course triple buffering is on and I have the latest frivers.
Is this a known problem?

Durante

Guys, I am looking for a nice set of headphones for under $200. I'm not really looking to spend more than that. They'll be used for music and gaming. I've had my eye on the Sennheiser 598's for a few days now. I understand the VMODA's have excellent sound as well as build quality.

If it helps anyone help me, comfort is a HUGE factor for me.
I'm a bit late, but if comfort is a huge factor get Audio Technica (ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900). I'd recommend them even if not because of their great sound stage and good quality, but the comfort level is second to none.

Shining

Need some help here. I've been using a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB for about a year and a half now (no overclocking) and it's been working fine until now. Yesterday artifacts started to appear in all the games i tried. They also appear when looking at Youtube videos. I then installed the latest drivers and got the same result. Is my card broken?

Vlodril

Hello. My mother's laptop died so she needs a new pc. She mainly uses it for watching movies, surfing and adventure games. I am looking for something cheap. I found the following pre build pc and although i am not a fan of pre builds its cheap and hassle free (for me:p).

Ankermann-PC.SILENT STARμ, AMD A4-4000 2x 3.00GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7480D Graphic VGA -. HDMI, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, Toshiba 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM, 24x DVD-RW-Writer, Card Reader, Art . No.: 31747, EAN: 4260219651974

The problem is i have no idea about the cpu/gpu combo. Will it be able to play some games? As i said mostly adventures nothing else (like tex murphy when it comes out etc).

Hola folks. Quick question, my PS3 just bit the dust and I want to re-purpose / upgrade my media / file server to play files directly to the TV via HDMI. This thing is on 24x7 and stores all my code so whatever I get needs to be both low power and reliable. With that in mind I had my eye on the following:

Intel Core i5-4570S 2.90GHz Low Power (Haswell) Processor
Asus H87M-E

Is there any better or more appropriate processor / motherboard combo I should consider? Keep in mind, this will never be used for games, only video playback / fileserving.

Water

I'm a bit late, but if comfort is a huge factor get Audio Technica (ATH-AD700 or ATH-AD900). I'd recommend them even if not because of their great sound stage and good quality, but the comfort level is second to none.
I would say the same thing about Beyerdynamic headphones; not only is the sound great, but they are by far the most comfortable phones I've had on my head. (Have not tried the ADx00s.) I have the DT880's but the DT770 and the DT990 seem to have the same ergonomics. These are more expensive than the AD700s, but you should be able to find them just under $200.

cebri.one

Hola folks. Quick question, my PS3 just bit the dust and I want to re-purpose / upgrade my media / file server to play files directly to the TV via HDMI. This thing is on 24x7 and stores all my code so whatever I get needs to be both low power and reliable. With that in mind I had my eye on the following:

Asus H87M-E

Is there any better or more appropriate processor / motherboard combo I should consider? Keep in mind, this will never be used for games, only video playback / fileserving.

If it's only for media playback, i would chose a cheaper option -> i3-4130 or intel g3220, and they consume less power too. It should be more than enough.

Water

Asus H87M-E

What HW does your server have now; have you tested that it's not enough? A quadcore i5 seems overkill for video playback.

My current server hardware can barely handle the RAID requirements it's dealing with, so I know it's not going to handle that plus video playback. Thing is awful.

If it's only for media playback, i would chose a cheaper option -> i3-4130 or intel g3220, and they consume less power too. It should be more than enough.

Can they definitely handle 1080p 60fps? Last thing I want to do is spend the money then realise I should have gone with something a little beefier.

For those curious about the 8350 performance and wondering if it's going to get any better, or any more widely used.

Short answer: Not really. IPC sucks and the game is going to stutter even if it's not explicitly shown in FPS charts, which still always favor Intel if it's a proc demanding game. Kaveri Athlons might be a worthy budget processor.

Long answer: Read this post, and this thread to help make sense of it.

\m/

Does Mantle change anything? Tests done with the 8350 and a 290x show significant improvement in performance. Would the 8350 be a viable upgrade from a Phenom II x4 for the short term (~2 years) with Mantle? I am going to eventually switch to an Intel CPU, but I can't afford that for a while and I'd rather not cheap-out on my first Intel build like I did on my AMD build.

valouris

I know it is not the purpose of the thread, but I don't know where else I should ask this, and I didn't want to make a new thread.

Are there any combo mice that are both wired and wireless, so when you are sitting on your desk you can have it wired (and preferrably charging at the same time) and when you wanna go away (say to the couch) you can just unplug a cable from the mouse and it becomes wireless? Same thing would be nice for the keyboard, but I guess I am reaching at this point.

cebri.one

My current server hardware can barely handle the RAID requirements it's dealing with, so I know it's not going to handle that plus video playback. Thing is awful.

Can they definitely handle 1080p 60fps? Last thing I want to do is spend the money then realise I should have gone with something a little beefier.

Most movies have a framerate of 24fps, if that's what you mean. And it should play HD movies without a problem.

Water

I know it is not the purpose of the thread, but I don't know where else I should ask this, and I didn't want to make a new thread.

Are there any combo mice that are both wired and wireless, so when you are sitting on your desk you can have it wired (and preferrably charging at the same time) and when you wanna go away (say to the couch) you can just unplug a cable from the mouse and it becomes wireless? Same thing would be nice for the keyboard, but I guess I am reaching at this point.
What's your motivation for needing the mouse to be wired while on the desk? Permanently wireless mice are pretty good, and it's much more convenient to slip a mouse in a charging stand than to attach and remove a wire.

Razer Orochi is a wired/wireless design, but knowing Razer's quality control, I'm not sure I'd buy one. Also, it's Bluetooth; good for laptop mobile use, but non-Bluetooth wireless mice would be more performant and reliable.

kharma45

Need some help here. I've been using a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 2GB for about a year and a half now (no overclocking) and it's been working fine until now. Yesterday artifacts started to appear in all the games i tried. They also appear when looking at Youtube videos. I then installed the latest drivers and got the same result. Is my card broken?

Sounds like it. You'll need to RMA.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Quick question : I have the 780 TI classified with the ACX cooler and it is an amazing card ( A bit bigger then i expected but it fitted nicely ) but there is one minor issue :

The led light is constantly on and i cannot switch it off via Geforce experience .

Anyone have any ideas ?

It is not really a problem but i would rather have the option to switch it off .

have ya tried using the EVGA light controller im not sure if it turns it off but it can control it

Shaldome

I would say the same thing about Beyerdynamic headphones; not only is the sound great, but they are by far the most comfortable phones I've had on my head. (Have not tried the ADx00s.) I have the DT880's but the DT770 and the DT990 seem to have the same ergonomics. These are more expensive than the AD700s, but you should be able to find them just under $200.

Adding to what Water and Durante said it would also depend on what kind of music you listen to. If you have the chance to listen to them go ahead and do it, Nothing beats listening to them and choose what you like the most.

You might also want to ask headphone-gaf. I am sure the good people there can help you choosing some possible choices, adding what already has been said here. Then you go into the audio store of your choice and try them out.

Lexxism

I'm looking monitors online to see what I need for my upcoming PC. I just noticed that they don't normally include the refresh rate in the specs. Does it mean it's 60hz by default?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What's the latest on the GPU roadmap?

And no current Titan owners, the Titan most certainly is NOT fast enough at it's price point. :p

I'm thinking a Maxwell/AMD R390 with a custom cooler, 6+ GB of RAM, and overclocking. Maybe a 1440p or 4K monitor later this year.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
EDIT: Maybe i'm a noob or maybe it's just too early but I think I found VLC to be the issue. Would play a video and the temp would jump 15-20 degrees immediately. Tried 3 other video players and did not happen. Fresh reinstall of VLC and now it barely raises 2 degrees so must have been some weird option checked somewhere?

So after having my build running strong for 3 months I noticed my CPU fan revving up a lot. I am running a Intel i5 4570 (non K). I'm sure these temps are nothing to worry about but considering before this everything ran under 30C easy I am worried.

Would reapplying the thermal paste be vaiable option or should I look into a Hyper 212 EVO?

Eh1QDd4.png

Maybe VLC is using AVX2. That would cause a 15C jump. And you have Haswell, so it's possible.

If those Intel Haswell-E are 8 core and use the good thermal paste, I may splurge on that. Then coast to Graphene.

Vlodril

Hello. My mother's laptop died so she needs a new pc. She mainly uses it for watching movies, surfing and adventure games. I am looking for something cheap. I found the following pre build pc and although i am not a fan of pre builds its cheap and hassle free (for me:p).

Ankermann-PC.SILENT STARμ, AMD A4-4000 2x 3.00GHz, AMD Radeon HD 7480D Graphic VGA -. HDMI, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, Toshiba 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM, 24x DVD-RW-Writer, Card Reader, Art . No.: 31747, EAN: 4260219651974

The problem is i have no idea about the cpu/gpu combo. Will it be able to play some games? As i said mostly adventures nothing else (like tex murphy when it comes out etc).

Sorry to ask again. I did some googling and it said the gpu is on the low end of things (especially since its integrated and runs on the pc's ram). Problem is i cant find how low exactly (and if it will run some basic games like i asked above).

Should i pass and try to build a pc myself for about 400 or is it better to search for a made solution.

kennah

I built a system for my grandma with the a4 above yours. Had to crank settings way down but I had BL2 and the witcher 'playable'. Ran orcs must die 2 surprisingly well.

Vlodril

I built a system for my grandma with the a4 above yours. Had to crank settings way down but I had BL2 and the witcher 'playable'. Ran orcs must die 2 surprisingly well.

hm if that is borderlands 2 i am sure it will be able to run tex murphy or similar adventures.

kennah

My grandma uses the internet like the 1960s version of the future. She clicks a headline, prints the article and reads that. She has a 20" 4:3 screen that is set to 640x480. She plays a ten year old Hoyle game and solitaire.

Borderlands and the Apu are for me when I visit :p

AJLma

What's the best way to get Bluetooth on a Desktop?

Getting seriously tired of my G500 cutting in and out constantly, I think the Wire is shorted, and when it shorts badly it seems to take out the rest of the attached USB ports on my motherboard.

At least I'm hoping the mouse is the problem here, it seems to be the only device malfunctioning.

yatesl

I've been having ask issue where, even after shutting down, my PC would stay on. Monitor would shut off etc, but the LED and fans stay on. If I held the power button after this, it'd cut off after ~5 seconds, but then come back on. It'd do this 70% of the time.

Clicking about in BIOS (Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H), I disabled a number of things (wake on LAN for example), but it still did it. I then disabled "rc6 (render standby)", and it seems to have turned off gone twice (and almost scarily fast!)

Could this have been it? What IS RC6?

Edit: Nope, still doing it... Can anyone think why? I could switch the surge protector off, but I use my PC (when turned off) to charge my phone.

kharma45

DarkFlow

Banned

Logitech G700s
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFOEY3Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

OrangeOak

I am trying to find any help past 2 days but without any sucess.
Maybe here somebody knows if HDD with bad sectors can be a reason for games stuttering even if I play from another HDD and that bad sectors HDD is my system HDD(I have windows 7 on it)
I have stuttering in almost every game and I am out of ideas what can cause it.It's extremely frustrating not knowing what reason can it be.

I have i5 3570k, GTX 770,8GB corsair ram ,2xHDD(no ssd) and stealthxstream 2 500w.

On top of that FurMark is shutting down my whole PC during 1080p benchmark and burn in in 1080p.So my PSU is probably to weak.It's happening with OC and without OC.
I have this PSU long time thogh and stuttering started 3 days ago.

I'm running a AMD 6850 1gb and an i5-2500k.

I wonder if I'm better off just building a whole new pc a year from now or trying to upgrade. My mb will support Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge intel chips. A motherboard update added support for Ivy Bridge.

The 6850 does pretty good for most games, but Battlefield 4 on Ultra and Skyrim with tons of mods...those kinds of things tend to give me problems.

Based on current cpu/gpu prices over what I have right now, I think I might be better riding out this system for another year or two before just building a whole new pc. What do you guys think? Is the price for performance upgrade worthwhile for me? It would be an i7 of some kind and I have no idea what type of video card...but I want to go with a 4gb card, I think.

komplanen

Figuring I'd buy a 780 Ti cuz I can't wait for the 880's to come out. I noticed a regular stock 780 Ti from Gigabyte is 70€ cheaper than the next stock card. Is there something I should know here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom