• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakilla13

I have this PC:

560 Ti 1GB
8GB RAM
512GB SSD
1 TB HDD

and I just upgraded to a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor, from 22" 1680 x 1050 (I can never go back). The 560Ti was fantastic for the smaller monitor, ran everything at reasonably high settings, but it's struggling with my new monitor (had to lower all BF4 settings significantly).

So, is it worth it to upgrade my GPU now? It seems like there isn't a clear price/performance winner right now with crypto currency screwing up AMD card prices and Nvidia prices stagnating (until Maxwell comes out?) I prefer going for the best price/performance ratio, in the vein of the 8800GT/HD4850/560 Ti.

Dave_6

I have a non GHz 7970 that I want to finally try and overclock. I have RadeonPro and MSI Afterburner on my PC and have been using RadeonPro solely for it's triple buffering and active V-Sync (playing on a Pioneer plasma). Any good guides on Youtube that you guys can recommend?

Ra1den

Well here is what I decided for my first build. As mentioned earlier I'm just using this for work, and it needs to drive 6 1920 x 1200 monitors. Decided to go with a single 7750 eyefinity 6 just to keep things simpler, this being my first build and all. I will probably add some cheap video cards in addition when I go to an 8 or 12 monitor array. Ended up costing a bit more than I expected, but it seems reasonable. I chose an i7 because I read that i5s don't support hyperthreading. Also I've already got a case from a custom PC I bought from a dude a couple years ago.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SD6z
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SD6z/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SD6z/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($300.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste ($6.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($110.41 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($145.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Dell)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $955.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-13 15:05 EST-0500)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just had an extreme technological breakthrough. Will update with pictures.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I WANT IT BUT IT DOESN'T FIT

WHY MKENYON WHY
Make it fit!

Reminds me of the time I bent a bar in my crappy case to replace a psu.

The heatsink was too big and was a bitch to take off.

I hope most good cases these days have a removable back panels

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
I have this PC:

560 Ti 1GB
8GB RAM
512GB SSD
1 TB HDD

and I just upgraded to a 27" 2560 x 1440 monitor, from 22" 1680 x 1050 (I can never go back). The 560Ti was fantastic for the smaller monitor, ran everything at reasonably high settings, but it's struggling with my new monitor (had to lower all BF4 settings significantly).

So, is it worth it to upgrade my GPU now? It seems like there isn't a clear price/performance winner right now with crypto currency screwing up AMD card prices and Nvidia prices stagnating (until Maxwell comes out?) I prefer going for the best price/performance ratio, in the vein of the 8800GT/HD4850/560 Ti.

At this resolution, nothing lower than 770. I just got a 780 myself because of that and it's amazing! AVG88 FPS in BF4 with 4XAA in MP at 1440p it's superb!

kennah

I think a 780 would be the only thing in a 8800gt/4850 class of gpu currently.

Well. A day one gtx 670 would have been.

I say go for the 780. Your 560ti should still get $80

Pretty sure that Cooler Master Evo 212 is what keeps busting up my mobo. I just got a new one in the mail after the old one was RMA'd, got it from a completely seperate vendor, and while the mobo did work it would sometimes restart itself for no apparent reason. Then, it would just keep restarting itself over and over.

I have another mobo as a backup that i use with only the stock cpu cooler and that guy has never given me an issue. I'm done with the evo 212 and sticking with stock, even if that limits my overclock options. It's just too much of a hassle and doesn't seem to work for me for some reason.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I was bored and fiddlin' around and ended up mounting a Philips Hue color changing LED bulb behind my display. And its amazing. It really changes your perception of the color the display produces. Its pretty weird. I'm gonna make a light diffuser out of an orange juice jug. I read that if you sandpaper cheap plastic like that it turns completely opaque. I figure the shape of the jug will go nicely with the shape of the display.

ScgTM9t.jpg

YG5sZG1.jpg

D8r00T0.jpg

th7UOzQ.jpg

75IDbHd.jpg

This is a pretty extreme development.

Coreda

So I was bored and fiddlin' around and ended up mounting a Philips Hue color changing LED bulb behind my display. And its amazing. It really changes your perception of the color the display produces. Its pretty weird. I'm gonna make a light diffuser out of an orange juice jug. I read that if you sandpaper cheap plastic like that it turns completely opaque. I figure the shape of the jug will go nicely with the shape of the display.

This is a pretty extreme development.

Very cool. How does it work with fast-moving scenes, does it rapidly change or is it gradual?

mkenyon

Banned
You can also get a cheap sheet of acrylic if you want to go super fancy with it. If you hit it with a few different levels of grit, you get a really nice frosted look. I did that for a PSU cover in one of my custom builds.

Before:

After:

How many screens can I connect to my computer setup with the EVGA GeForce GTX 780?

I see there's 2 HDMI ports on it, but I need to connect my computer to 2-3 PC monitors and then 1 HDTV.
Four total. Two Dual Link DVI, one Displayport, one HDMI.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have to manually change it. The Hue development community kinda sucks. There was a recent kickstarter that makes use of an open source app called prizmatik that I'm currently looking into that theoretically should change the light based on the color of the display. But as of now I just have to change it manually with an app on my iPhone.

I'm actually most interested in just figuring out the temperature of my displays backlight and then calibrating the bulbs to match it and then just leaving it.

Dawg

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE

Local hardware shop is having a promotion, Sea Sonic X-650 v2 is the same price as V700

Does this one fit the Prodigy? I've heard it's KM3 just like the V700.

Dawg

Yeah, it fits. I had an AX650 in mine, which is the same thing.

KM3 = less noise than older models, no? It's a new industry PSU platform or something. Well the V700 has it and that's why it doesn't suffer from coil whine and fan noise.

It sounds almost too good for someone who seeks perfection when it comes to noise :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I've done with mine for the most part, and it feels great on your eyes, especially at night.
Oh man, awesome. Yeah my place is almost entirely windows so I'm excited for it to get dark tonight and really lose myself.

I also have a thing that changes the lights based on music tempo and melody and I'm totally gonna play proteus with my entire room changing color.

Meier

Hi guys, I've been in the market to build a new machine for awhile. At some point this year I'd like to do it. Here are my current components:

1 Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

1 GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

1 SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

1 COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply - Retail

1 AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

2 COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm 4 BLUE LED LED Case Fan - Retail
Minus the MIRs, this cost me about $600 back in November 2009 (the RAM was replaced a year later actually at a similar price to the RAM I'd bought at this point -- this RAM is the current component). If I wanted to build a similarly priced machine (kept my same HDD as my previous system and later added another), what recommendations do you all have now? I anticipate I could keep the same PSU, same case and same additional fans (although these are cheap and I'd be happy to replace them).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have the first generation hues and they're 8.5 watts. I've never heard them wine, but I honestly never use them much outside of intimate situations.

Edit:
I can see now You weren't talking to me!

mkenyon

Banned
Hi guys, I've been in the market to build a new machine for awhile. At some point this year I'd like to do it. Here are my current components:

Minus the MIRs, this cost me about $600 back in November 2009 (the RAM was replaced a year later actually at a similar price to the RAM I'd bought at this point -- this RAM is the current component). If I wanted to build a similarly priced machine (kept my same HDD as my previous system and later added another), what recommendations do you all have now?
You could keep the case, PSU, and memory for a new build. $130 for a motherboard, $210-230 for a processor, and $250 for a GTX 760 would have you set. You could get a great discount on the processor and motherboard if you live near a microcenter, or if you buy used (warranties carry over on used parts).

I'd really suggest saving up for at least a 120GB SSD though, which would be about $70-85.

I have the first generation hues and they're 8.5 watts. I've never heard them wine, but I honestly never use them much outside of intimate situations.

Edit:
I can see now You weren't talking to me!
:p

I'm gonna get you a few links if you really want to tinker around with this though. Check out this video. tl;dr, you use RGB LED strips and a Raspberry Pi to create your own lighting program that can even alternate what nodes are active.

Nakazato

So is this new AMd card for 150 worth it ? Should i get this card the upgrade 2 years down the line? or should i just go 760/770 and be done with it ?

kharma45

Minus the MIRs, this cost me about $600 back in November 2009 (the RAM was replaced a year later actually at a similar price to the RAM I'd bought at this point -- this RAM is the current component). If I wanted to build a similarly priced machine (kept my same HDD as my previous system and later added another), what recommendations do you all have now? I anticipate I could keep the same PSU, same case and same additional fans (although these are cheap and I'd be happy to replace them).

Using same RAM and HDD

Fancy re-using your case?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $663.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-13 16:41 EST-0500)

Non-modular PSU would also save money.

So is this new AMd card for 150 worth it ? Should i get this card the upgrade 2 years down the line? or should i just go 760/770 and be done with it ?

The 265?

You could keep the case, PSU, and memory for a new build. $130 for a motherboard, $210-230 for a processor, and $250 for a GTX 760 would have you set. You could get a great discount on the processor and motherboard if you live near a microcenter, or if you buy used (warranties carry over on used parts).

I'd really suggest saving up for at least a 120GB SSD though, which would be about $70-85.

That PSU realllyyyyy needs changed http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...e-Power-Plus-500-W-Power-Supply-Review/728/10

mkenyon

Banned
It's a 7850 basically (from what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong), which were $200 like a year ago. 760 still the best price:performance, unless you can find a 280x for $300.
His power draw is going to go down with a new proc and videocard though. If it's lasted this long without issues, I really wouldn't fret it too much.

Meier

Thanks for the suggestions! Is there any need to go above the 8 GB of RAM I currently have? I notice that neither of you recommended it so I'm assuming there isn't much need but just curious about whether it'd make a difference at all or has it kind of topped out?

Can you explain their comments in layman's terms? I haven't had any issues with it personally whereas I had to put in a new PSU in my last built PC after some time.

kharma45

It's a 7850 basically (from what I understand, please correct me if I'm wrong), which were $200 like a year ago. 760 still the best price:performance, unless you can find a 280x for $300.

It's a 7850. I think the 265 is actually better price:performance once you factor in overclocking. You get near 7850 levels with it.

yep thinking that or the 760 2gb since most people say the 4gb is a waste not playing above 1920x1080 (1650x1050 for me for now)

It's whatever you can afford. The 760 is the better card but the 265 is great value for what it is, and most will overclock brilliantly. You'll be getting to at worst R9 270 levels if not 270X and beyond.

Thanks for the suggestions! Is there any need to go above the 8 GB of RAM I currently have? I notice that neither of you recommended it so I'm assuming there isn't much need but just curious about whether it'd make a difference at all or has it kind of topped out?

None t all.

His power draw is going to go down with a new proc and videocard though. If it's lasted this long without issues, I really wouldn't fret it too much.

That is true, I just get scared at times with them when people are investing significant sums in upgrades.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this might be a good place to ask, so here goes.

I will be buying a new desk soon (Ikea Galant) but I need somewhere to put my gaming tower and I'm having a hard time finding a tower holder that can support it.

My case is the Coolermaster Stacker 832 (which is a bit of a beast). The problem I have is most tower holders can't support its weight or depth. The one Ikea sells would be wide and tall enough, but half of the case would hang over at the back and I don't think that would be very safe.

Any suggestions would be great (remember I'm from England so no American sites please).

The warranty carries over on used parts. It's based on serial #, and for almost all of the AIBs out there, is 3 years from date of purchase as new.

Wouldn't it be the PSU if it were a grounding issue?

Yea I think that's possible as well. Originally I was thinking in terms of a loose wire or grounding issue with a connection in the mobo/gfxcard but it's hard to find!

T-Matt

Wanting to upgrade my processor for emulation and some other tasks. Not sure I want to upgrade my 560ti quite yet; Will I notice gains in going from an athlon II 840 to a 4670k in gaming keeping my current GPU?

Here's what I'm thinking
Bitfenix prodigy in green (in love with this color) 89.99
i5 4670k 179.99
ASRock Z87E-ITX (not sure if this one is good or not) 104.99
Samsung 840 evo 250gb ssd 145.99
Bring over the rest of parts from current build.

I think the processor and ssd will make my pc a lot snappier and I can upgrade the GPU in the near future.

Doodlebug

Current specs:

Processor: Intel i3-2120
Motherboard: ASRock H67M
Graphics: EVGA Nvidia GTX 460 1GB FTW
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Power Supply: Antec BP550
Case: Antec Three Hundred

Budget: £900 (UK)
Monitor Resolution: Comfortable at 1080p. No desire to push beyond.
Games or applications: Smooth 60fps makes me happy. I'll be revisiting games from the past few years, i.e. Elder Scrolls (esp. modded Skyrim), Souls games, STALKER, Fallout (modded NV); would like to try Witcher 3.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Only an Optical Drive + peripherals. I'm not sure if I should reuse the PSU.
When will you build?: A month or so.
Will you be overclocking?: First time doing it but yes.

Future build:

Processor: Intel i5-4670K; £164.39 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4; £21.50 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming; £107.84 @ Scan.co.uk
Graphics: MSI Nvidia GTX 760 2GB Hawk; £215.71 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB; £69.98 @ Novatech
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue 1TB; £43.96 @ CCL Computers
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; £89.29 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply: Antec HCG-520M; £73.37 @ Amazon UK
Case: Fractal Design Define R4; £76.99 @ Amazon UK

Total Cost: £863.05

I expect a few changes before a month's time when I decide to build. Since It's on my mind now I thought I'd throw it out there anyway, and would appreciate any suggestions you might have. I like to settle around the sweet spot for performance/price, but I'm not adverse to adding a little here and there for the odd benefit.

mkenyon

Banned
I thought this might be a good place to ask, so here goes.

I will be buying a new desk soon (Ikea Galant) but I need somewhere to put my gaming tower and I'm having a hard time finding a tower holder that can support it.

My case is the Coolermaster Stacker 832 (which is a bit of a beast). The problem I have is most tower holders can't support its weight or depth. The one Ikea sells would be wide and tall enough, but half of the case would hang over at the back and I don't think that would be very safe.

Any suggestions would be great (remember I'm from England so no American sites please).
Industrial wire rack. Just google for something local, someone carries them. They're entirely modular, so you just get the height of posts you want, and the size of rack you want. I have 8" posts that my monitors sit on (scroll up a bit), as well as my tower.
Wanting to upgrade my processor for emulation and some other tasks. Not sure I want to upgrade my 560ti quite yet; Will I notice gains in going from an athlon II 840 to a 4670k in gaming keeping my current GPU?

Here's what I'm thinking
i5 4670k 179.99

I think the processor and ssd will make my pc a lot snappier and I can upgrade the GPU in the near future.
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge upgrade. I personally prefer the Gigabyte motherboard I put in the SFF guide (third post in thread), but the ASRock is fine.
Current specs:

Games or applications: Smooth 60fps makes me happy. I'll be revisiting games from the past few years, i.e. Elder Scrolls (esp. modded Skyrim), Souls games, STALKER, Fallout (modded NV); would like to try Witcher 3.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Only an Optical Drive + peripherals. I'm not sure if I should reuse the PSU.

Future build:

I expect a few changes before a month's time when I decide to build. Since It's on my mind now I thought I'd throw it out there anyway, and would appreciate any suggestions you might have. I like to settle around the sweet spot for performance/price, but I'm not adverse to adding a little here and there for the odd benefit.
Upgrade the firmware on your motherboard and get a cheap IvyBridge i5. That'd save you a lot of money.

kharma45

Current specs:

Future build:

The BP550 modular unit? if so you don't need a new PSU.

Change to cooler to the Hyper 212 Evo.

Change SSD to this 240GB model for the same price roughly http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BQ8RM1A/

I'd prefer the Gigabyte D3H mobo http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CUCRKO0/

Here's what I'm thinking
i5 4670k 179.99

You will yes. Good upgrade that.

Can you explain their comments in layman's terms? I haven't had any issues with it personally whereas I had to put in a new PSU in my last built PC after some time.

It'll still work, it's just not that great a unit but as mkeynon said if it's lasted this long it'll be fine.

I just don't like these things as noted from the review

Two things immediately caught our attention. First, the fact there is no reference for “500 W” on the power supply.

Ripple is also pretty poor.

The second thing that we noticed on the label was the phrase “The +3.3 V & + 5 V & +12V1 & +12V2 combine power shall not exceed 431.5 W”.

From reading up about the unit it's a redressed 460w with different transitors which itself is literally just a redressed 400w unit.

It's units like this that gave CM a bad name for PSUs.

IMACOMPUTA

So what caused the R9 cards to go up another $100 today?

I really should sell my 280x's and buy a 780ti + have some cash to spare....

Nick

I've decided on purchasing a Geforce 780 after months of mulling over which GPU to buy. Do you guys think I should go MSI, EVGA or PNY? I know EVGA and PNY have lifetime warranties, but who cares if I'm going to upgrade the thing in 4-5 years?

Sorry for the hand holding I require with this shit. I seriously have no idea what the fuck I am doing and I'm just trying to build the sickest computer I can without having to worry about it for a couple of years.

mkenyon

Banned
Mkenyon, do you happen to know if the blur on a Dell U2414H is less bad or equally good as a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236052 ?

My brother has this exact screen and the blur on it does not bother me. I really don't have a clue why not.

Or will IPS always be inferior, even with a good panel as this one?
IPS almost always has worse motion resolution than TN panels, yeah.
I've decided on purchasing a Geforce 780 after months of mulling over which GPU to buy. Do you guys think I should go MSI, EVGA or PNY? I know EVGA and PNY have lifetime warranties, but who cares if I'm going to upgrade the thing in 4-5 years?

Sorry for the hand holding I require with this shit. I seriously have no idea what the fuck I am doing and I'm just trying to build the sickest computer I can without having to worry about it for a couple of years.
I really like the EVGA Classified and MSI Lightning, and personally think they're worth the premium over the standard ones.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the EVGA ACX or Gigabyte Windforce.

Enthus

So my DirectCU II R9 290 came in today. I totally thought the gold decals came with the 290 as well as the 290x, but for some reason Asus only gives the 290x customization options. Now I have a red/black graphics card with my Z87-Pro (gold/black).

I have the MSI Lightning and I absolutely love the card. Overclocks really well and for my silent PC build, it its very effective at being quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom