• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Geforce sucks at anything outside of games, unfortunately, for a variety of dumb reasons that makes me dislike Nvidia.

Unless you are a professional then what do you need your GPU for besides game? Most people aren't using their computers here for professional use so GeForce works great

Geforce sucks at anything outside of games, unfortunately, for a variety of dumb reasons that makes me dislike Nvidia.

That's why I switched to me 660 ti when I saw it for so cheap, even though I had a 7870. I only use my GPU for games, and I haven't had to screw around with drivers and whatnot(no driver crashes/games running at 2d clocks, etc).

So just posting to see if anyone has any changes to this build or comments or anything before I put the order in. It's my first time building a PC so I just want to make sure everything is in order and that I am not forgetting any important parts or making any dumb choices.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($154.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($145.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $2030.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-14 15:08 EST-0500)

Stubo

You may want to consider Windows 8.1 instead of 7, but otherwise that looks like an extremely solid build to me!

That said, I'm sure one of the gurus may have recommendations for you :)

You may want to consider Windows 8.1 instead of 7, but otherwise that looks like an extremely solid build to me!

That said, I'm sure one of the gurus may have recommendations for you :)

Alright thanks, had never actually used windows 8 but had heard alot of poor responses so wasn't sure if it was worth making the leap from 7. Will give 8.1 a shot if it is going to end up better.

tarheel91

Unless you are a professional then what do you need your GPU for besides game? Most people aren't using their computers here for professional use so GeForce works great

I'm an engineer, so I do use my computer for things outside of games. Radeon kills Geforce in OpenCL performance. That's not the case for workstation graphics, but nobody outside of businesses is gonna shell out for those cards.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/849

Alright thanks, had never actually used windows 8 but had heard alot of poor responses so wasn't sure if it was worth making the leap from 7. Will give 8.1 a shot if it is going to end up better.
Windows 8.1 has a ton of great back end changes like the task manager providing tons of clear, easy to understand performance info, better file moving, and a UI that works a lot better than the desktop if you're hooking the PC to a TV.

Bleepey

OK, I have a broken RV515, everything works but the screen so I have to use a VGA cable to make use of it. Fixing it will cost about £50-70 so I am thinking of just selling it, I am thinking of doing one of two things. I am thinking of either

a) buy or build a a decentish desktop. Something ranging from £300-400 that can run pretty much anything new at an OK framerate and buy a cheap tablet

b) Buy a okish laptop.

I probably won't use the laptop outside but I may use it to watch movies in my room. I am leaning towards a. What can i buyc or build easily/cheaply (it will be my first time doing so). What recommendations does everyone have. I am in the UK if that helps.

I wish I'd picked up the Win8 key when MS had it on sale for $20 or $30 last year. I'd like to upgrade for the performance boost, but I don't feel like paying the full $200 or whatever.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't find an active thread in the search (unless I did it wrong).

I'm on the fence--"next gen" console or PC. Here are a few parameters: I will be playing this on my 56" TV...no need for a monitor. It will be for gaming only. I don't want to spend more than.....$650 or so. With that price, can I buy a decent system? I'm not all that up to speed on what the best components are; If I were to buy something like the Alienware X51 (I know nothing of it's capabilities other than how they describe it) for $650, will my games look like crap? Will they look like crap next year? How long would a rig like that last before it was unplayable?

I'm not a graphics whore; I've been playing on a 360 for it's lifespan. I want to play the best games out there, but don't want to deal with any compromises that will have to be made on an Xbone. A PS4 is not an option--I literally cannot use the controller. My hands do not fit properly due to an injury to my left hand.

Thanks

Nvidia.

Get a 4770K to overclock, and a Z87 mobo with a cooler like a Hyper 212. If you're spending i7 money best to do it right.

PCIe 3 is backwards compatible. It'll not be as quick but it will still work.

Ok. That will make part of this easy.

I also (strangely enough) appreciate vpro more than overclocking ability.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, I couldn't find an active thread in the search (unless I did it wrong).

I'm on the fence--"next gen" console or PC. Here are a few parameters: I will be playing this on my 56" TV...no need for a monitor. It will be for gaming only. I don't want to spend more than.....$650 or so. With that price, can I buy a decent system? I'm not all that up to speed on what the best components are; If I were to buy something like the Alienware X51 (I know nothing of it's capabilities other than how they describe it) for $650, will my games look like crap? Will they look like crap next year? How long would a rig like that last before it was unplayable?

I'm not a graphics whore; I've been playing on a 360 for it's lifespan. I want to play the best games out there, but don't want to deal with any compromises that will have to be made on an Xbone. A PS4 is not an option--I literally cannot use the controller. My hands do not fit properly due to an injury to my left hand.

Thanks
The "Good" build in the OP with a Z87 motherboard is an extremely respectable system and better than the X51. Games will not look at, you'll play most everything at Medium-High at 1080p except for the latest demanding titles.

,My friend just got a 780ti. He's letting me borrow his 680 2gb, and want's to sell it to me for 200$. Is it worth it, or am I better off saving up and getting one in another year?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
reddit.com/r/softwareswap'

*edit*

So beat.

I actually picked up a key for 8.1 Pro for 19. Tested and verified authenticity. Installed Start8 and was back in happy town. Dirt cheap and hard to pass on 8.1 for that price.

,My friend just got a 780ti. He's letting me borrow his 680 2gb, and want's to sell it to me for 200$. Is it worth it, or am I better off saving up and getting one in another year?

For 200 I would say yes but if he's your friend then try to talk him down a little bit. I sold my 670 for 150 here on GAF because it's GAF. I would have gone higher anywhere else other than here and close friends.

kharma45

$200 is great for it. Look up the prices of the 770, that's the class of card you're buying in to.

I agree though, try and negotiate down a bit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering about those funny dual gpu cards and can they be used in single core mode just like it was a single gpu card?

One more question. I had my 560ti running perfect today. My friend switched it out for the 680, but I'm noticing screen tears, and audio hangs/frame stutters during games. Have an i5 2500k,asus p8z68v mb,corsair 16gb ram. Windows 8.1. Updated all the nvidia drivers and it still does the stutter. Anyone have any ideas. I don't know much about how to configure pc's. Anything in the bios I can check?

Doodlebug

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'd like to try overclocking my CPU so it's a new mobo for me. Plus my current system could get another use. It's tempting to go for the SSD that tests higher but apparently there isn't much real-world difference for gaming, and that price isn't something I want to pass up. 240GB of respectable SSD for less than the Samsung one.

Here's how it's looking now:

Processor: Intel i5-4670K; £161.99 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; £25.20 @ Aria PC
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H; £99.95 @ Amazon UK
Graphics: MSI Nvidia GTX 760 2GB Hawk; £215.71 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB; £69.98 @ Novatech
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue 1TB; £43.96 @ CCL Computers
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB; £85.00 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply: Be Quiet! Pure Power L8 530W; £59.44 @ Scan.co.uk
Case: Fractal Design Define R4; £70.00 @ Amazon UK

Total: £831.23

Eiolon

My tax return has arrived. Getting a 4K television to game on. Should I bother upgrading or build new? The video card is my biggest worry though I've never experienced gaming at an insane resolution so not sure if I need an i7 as well.

Intel Core i5-3570K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW
SeaSonic M12II 620W

One more question. I had my 560ti running perfect today. My friend switched it out for the 680, but I'm noticing screen tears, and audio hangs/frame stutters during games. Have an i5 2500k,asus p8z68v mb,corsair 16gb ram. Windows 8.1. Updated all the nvidia drivers and it still does the stutter. Anyone have any ideas. I don't know much about how to configure pc's. Anything in the bios I can check?

nevermind.. after wasting 3 hrs of my time and asking my friend 5 times if he installed it correctly i decided to rip my case off. gpu wasn't inserted all the way. now it works fine. got it for 150$ now, due to all the bs.

Just got an xfx r9 290x before the prices got crazy and I want to give someone my Battlefield 4 code....first to PM gets it! :D

EDIT: granted to OFFIS

Nick

Someone hold me. I just bought an EVGA GTX 780 3GB w/EVGA ACX Cooler. I have been holding off on buying my very first GPU for MONTHS and I finally pulled the trigger. That stung. Here is my rig.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (8GB x 2 sticks) I wanted something flashy for a little more money.
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 EXTREME3 LGA1150 -- This was kinda a shot in the dark. I don't know much about mobo's and it seemed to have everything I was looking for.
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB w/EVGA ACX Cooler -- I hope I made the right choice. I've never had so much anxiety about a single purchase in my entire life. ;____;
PSU: Corsair GS 800 -- I thought it was modular, which I understand is easier to manage in terms of cables, but it's not. Whatever.
Case: Corsair 760T White -- Patiently waiting for this to be released next month because it looks sickening.
HDD: Kingston 240SSD + WD 1TB 3.5" HDD
Keyboard + Mouse: Razer Black Widow + Death Adder -- The mouse I'm kinda iffy on but the purchase is already done. I don't need a shit ton of buttons.
Cooling: Corsair Link H100i Water Cooler

What do you guys think? Is this a good rig? Will I have any foreseeable problems? This is the first computer I've ever built and I've spent a loooooong time trying to map out what parts I wanted/needed to purchase.

Sometimes when my computer wakes from sleep, the mouse doesn't work until i unplug and replug into the usb. Its like its not getting power (none of the lights on the mouse come on). Any ideas? Motherboard, power supply, or mouse? Mb is a p9x79 pro, mouse is a SteelSeries Sensei

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I use an XFX Core Edition PRO550W, pretty nice quality unit for the price :)
It is
welp need a new power supply after doing some research for gtx 760/770

any cheap but good 500 watt ps ?
I'd get a BP550 since it's modular and also a good unit.
Sometimes when my computer wakes from sleep, the mouse doesn't work until i unplug and replug into the usb. Its like its not getting power (none of the lights on the mouse come on). Any ideas? Motherboard, power supply, or mouse? Mb is a p9x79 pro, mouse is a SteelSeries Sensei
Mouse is on USB 2.0 (Black) port?
There also might be an option in the BIOS / Windows for power saving or wake devices.
Semi known problem, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for on it.
Someone hold me. I just bought an EVGA GTX 780 3GB w/EVGA ACX Cooler. I have been holding off on buying my very first GPU for MONTHS and I finally pulled the trigger. That stung. Here is my rig.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (8GB x 2 sticks) I wanted something flashy for a little more money.
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 EXTREME3 LGA1150 -- This was kinda a shot in the dark. I don't know much about mobo's and it seemed to have everything I was looking for.
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB w/EVGA ACX Cooler -- I hope I made the right choice. I've never had so much anxiety about a single purchase in my entire life. ;____;
PSU: Corsair GS 800 -- I thought it was modular, which I understand is easier to manage in terms of cables, but it's not. Whatever.
Case: Corsair 760T White -- Patiently waiting for this to be released next month because it looks sickening.
HDD: Kingston 240SSD + WD 1TB 3.5" HDD
Keyboard + Mouse: Razer Black Widow + Death Adder -- The mouse I'm kinda iffy on but the purchase is already done. I don't need a shit ton of buttons.
Cooling: Corsair Link H100i Water Cooler

What do you guys think? Is this a good rig? Will I have any foreseeable problems? This is the first computer I've ever built and I've spent a loooooong time trying to map out what parts I wanted/needed to purchase.
You'll be quite fine with that, but probably want a Modular PSU :p

grkazan12

Did anyone jump from a Nvidia 570 to a 780? How was the jump in power? Was it worth it?

One of the reasons that I'm hesitant on getting a new card yet is the 3GB of vram. It is better than 1.25GB in my Nvidia 570 right now, but will it be enough to handle newer games down the line. I know a card won't last forever in the PC world, but with games putting out things like very detailed textures, I'm not sure if it will handle that intense load.

Did anyone jump from a Nvidia 570 to a 780? How was the jump in power? Was it worth it?

One of the reasons that I'm hesitant on getting a new card yet is the 3GB of vram. It is better than 1.25GB in my Nvidia 570 right now, but will it be enough to handle newer games down the line. I know a card won't last forever in the PC world, but with games putting out things like very detailed textures, I'm not sure if it will handle that intense load.

me, went from an msi twin frozr 3 570 to a gigabyte windforce oc'd 780

jump in power is significant as the 570 was really starting to choke @ 1080p even on medium settings with newer releases, bf4 is another world on the 780 compared to the 570. the 3 gigs of ram has me worried as well for upcoming games but for now its great.

I've got a problem with my reference 7970. It was having some stability issues, a lot of flickering. So I reseated the card.

All my stability issues are gone, but it's not running 5-6 degrees hotter during gameplay. I was always sub 70C on load but now I am seeing stuff nearing 80. Didn't change any settings or software. I even turned down my clocks and volts and it still ran above 70C. Any ideas?

My tax return has arrived. Getting a 4K television to game on. Should I bother upgrading or build new? The video card is my biggest worry though I've never experienced gaming at an insane resolution so not sure if I need an i7 as well.

Intel Core i5-3570K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW
SeaSonic M12II 620W

4K is all about GPU. No need to upgrade the CPU. But if you want to play in 4K with good fps, you'd need higher end cards in SLI. And a new PSU to go with that.

- J - D -

Welp, I got my second gpu today for sli and instead of waiting until next week for the XFX psu I bought to arrive, I decided to try sli on my dinosaur of a psu -- my six-year old Antec TPQ 850w. My whole rig hard rebooted the second I loaded up a game. Oh well, it was worth a shot and at the very least it reaffirmed my purchase of a new psu as a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom