• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone jump from a Nvidia 570 to a 780? How was the jump in power? Was it worth it?

One of the reasons that I'm hesitant on getting a new card yet is the 3GB of vram. It is better than 1.25GB in my Nvidia 570 right now, but will it be enough to handle newer games down the line. I know a card won't last forever in the PC world, but with games putting out things like very detailed textures, I'm not sure if it will handle that intense load.

I've just upgraded from 570 to 780 ti 1020ghz base clock (gigabyte windforce) and the jump in performace is more than significant and very very worthy it. Haven't had the time to test it on games other than Skyrim + ENB but I used to get 15~20fps with "performance" enb at 1080p with 570 gtx and now I'm getting 60fps with an incredible ENB preset (called NLA enb, check it out on Nexus if you want to see how it looks like) with everything enabled. And that's STEADY 60fps. I can crank up the resolution to 1440p and turn off the AO to get 60fps (although with drops) as well.

If you are really worried about the vram, there's rumor floating around the internet that Nvidia is preparing to release 6GB edition of 780 Ti soon when Titan fades out. Although it seems like bullshit to me because Titan isn't a gaming card but a compute card for professionals and therefore, occupies a different market segment.

I think 3GB will be enough for the foreseeable future though. Maybe not for Ultra texture quality for future games but I'd doubt the difference between high and ultra texture quality will be very noticeable unless you plant your face in the wall in fps games.

Also the windforce card is a lot quieter than my old reference evga 570 which is a plus.

grkazan12

Wow, 6GB !!! That would be crazy, probably really expensive too. I know this sounds crazy because it hasn't even been announced yet, but the game that has to be 60 fps with everything turned up all the way is GTA V.

It would probably best to wait and see the recommended specs of it, hopefully when it gets announced someday. I'm sure a 780ti would theoretically handle the game with ease.

Pachimari

Hmm, I see a lot of you guys also get a CPU cooler, should I also get one? My setup is this:

Case Fractal R4 (received)

Storage WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB (received)

Optical Drive SATA DVD Burner (received)

Power Supply Sea Sonic G Series 550 (received)

Heatsink Corsair H60 (received)

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H (ordered)

SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (ordered)

Network card TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 (ordered)

CPU i5 4670K 4C/4T (buying in March)

RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical (16GB) (buying in March)

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780

Other stuff to get this year
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Sennheiser 363D
- Xbox 360 Receiver (buying in March)
- IR receiver
- 32" Samsung HDTV (for monitor)
- 5.1 speakers

I have also decided to get a new mouse, as I'll use my current one for my computer at school, but I have a hard time choosing one. Is the Logitech Performance mouse any good? I like the back/forward button in the side and I am used to that form-factor.

Also, which is a good drawing pad? I'm looking to draw my web designs in photoshop with a pen. I heard about Wacom.

- J - D -

I've just upgraded from 570 to 780 ti 1020ghz base clock (gigabyte windforce) and the jump in performace is more than significant and very very worthy it. Haven't had the time to test it on games other than Skyrim + ENB but I used to get 15~20fps with "performance" enb at 1080p with 570 gtx and now I'm getting 60fps with an incredible ENB preset (called NLA enb, check it out on Nexus if you want to see how it looks like) with everything enabled. And that's STEADY 60fps. I can crank up the resolution to 1440p and turn off the AO to get 60fps (although with drops) as well.

If you are really worried about the vram, there's rumor floating around the internet that Nvidia is preparing to release 6GB edition of 780 Ti soon when Titan fades out. Although it seems like bullshit to me because Titan isn't a gaming card but a compute card for professionals and therefore, occupies a different market segment.

I think 3GB will be enough for the foreseeable future though. Maybe not for Ultra texture quality for future games but I'd doubt the difference between high and ultra texture quality will be very noticeable unless you plant your face in the wall in fps games.

Also the windforce card is a lot quieter than my old reference evga 570 which is a plus.

Isn't this just the rumored Titan Black edition?

tarheel91

The Titan isn't a card for professionals. The Tesla K20 on which it's based is the professional card. Again, the Titan is equaled by a $140 260X in compute.

AJLma

I've got a problem with my reference 7970. It was having some stability issues, a lot of flickering. So I reseated the card.

All my stability issues are gone, but it's not running 5-6 degrees hotter during gameplay. I was always sub 70C on load but now I am seeing stuff nearing 80. Didn't change any settings or software. I even turned down my clocks and volts and it still ran above 70C. Any ideas?

If you were having stability issues and the problem was it wasn't installed correctly, it probably wasn't getting all of the power that it needed.

A reference AMD card running at 80C on load is about right.

Oh, I thought a CPU cooler were something special. Sorry for my dumb question, I'm all new to this PC stuff. :)

Nah its cool.

Both terms are kinda used interchangeably by some people so when someone mentions heatsinks its usually dealing with some type of component cooling (CPUs mainly but GPUs will get a few mentions)

Isn't this just the rumored Titan Black edition?

Nah. I was wondering if there existed 6GB 780 Ti and just came across few sites that claimed 780 Ti with 6GB is in the work. I'm actually surprised no third party manufacturer released custom 6GB card.

Also paying more than $300 extra for a Titan Black Edition for slightly better performance and 6GB of vram seems like an overkill unless one plans to do a lot of compute work.

Pachimari

I got some smaller questions:

01) I need a mouse for my new desktop, preferably good for gaming but I also love the claw grip and having the back/forward buttons on the side. None of the recommended ones in the OP seem to meet my wishes.

02) Which is a good keyboard with back-lighting, which is also good for typing primarily? Currently, I got the Logitech diNovo Edge but it doesn't have back-lighting.

03) I also need a drawing pad and I have heard good things about Wacom. It shouldn't be too expensive, as I only need it to draw website designs in Photoshop CS6.

The Titan isn't a card for professionals. The Tesla K20 on which it's based is the professional card. Again, the Titan is equaled by a $140 260X in compute.

Tesla cards are mainly for companies. If you're a professional who wants to work at home as well, Titan card is a much better deal.

For compute work utilizing Double Precision fp (Most mathematical work requires high precision), Titan is twice faster than 290x, and about 12x faster than 260x. Also you can't forget CUDA.

Edit: As far as I know, you're paying extra for the custom firmware and drivers to enable higher performance double precision fp when you buy a Titan.

Looks like the prices have gone down, but they were that high a couple of days ago. This video shows the ridiculous prices.

Yup, I grabbed a non-reference XFX one for $679.99 on Amazon and while I was waiting I took a look at some other options and what greeted me were 290x cards that were going for $899.99. But just today it seems the prices have gone back down with limited stock once again. In fact the Amazon seller informed me that my order would take a few days longer since they were waiting for more to come in. Those miners are hoarding these eh?

Yeah I have:

Mobo: MSI Mpower Z77
CPU - i5-2500k Oc'd @ 4.5 ghz
Cooler - Corsair H80i
Case: Fractal Define R4
GPU - MSI GTX 780 Lightning
PSU - Corsair HX 750
Case fans - Two intakes (Fractal defaults), 1 top exhaust (Noctua NF-P14), and one back exhaust (fan and radiator from H80i)
great and how quiet does it really run under full load?

don't want to deal with any compromises that will have to be made on an Xbone.

Thanks
At the $650 mark you may be better off getting a console especially if you liked the 360. But not a discussion for this thread - maybe start a "xbo or mid range PC" advice thread with your questions / concerns in.

So guys, I've been reading this thread the last days because I had a big problem with my computer at work (it's of my possesion). It was an old computer so it broke finally the other day, and now it's the time when my competent home computer is going to the workplace and I have the chance to buy a new shiny gaming computer for home.

Ive been using the charts in the op and the PCpartpicker webpage. I don't know much about building PC's but I got help yesterday of a firend that while not being an expert could help me in somethings (although sometimes he was not entirely sure so that is why Im asking here).

There's a huge pricing problem as im from europe, so while all this amazing prices on american stores are posted from this webs, it's a lot pricier here even going for the cheapest online store (and the one im looking is supposedly the best and cheapest here). Even amazon here is total bullshit and doesn't have very good pricing. And american amazon doesnt help either becuase after adding my country taxes and the cost of sending it turns to be even more expensive than the pricing in my country, which is pretty nuts.

Then there's the problem of not nowing if it's good enough, going to give me problems, it's good in the long run, etc...
Heres is what I got from PCpartpicker.com:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ti2T
pcpartopickerpricew5j1d.png

Great price in my opinion! 1491 dollars are 1088 euros.
Here comes the tricky part...
This is the store where im buying the same components in my country (I think the ram is different becuase they don't have the same model):
(the 0 euros items are things the store gives you free, one is assassin creed IV and the other is called nvidia door hanger, whatever is that lol).
1394 euros doesn't seem that bad. In reality when we convert the price it turns to be 1909 dollars! That's basically 900 more euros that what the real thing in america would cost :(

So yeah, here are my questions after all this:
-Is there any problem with that configuaration? Could it give me any problems in the future (stability, etc)?

-I chose to get a GTX870 ti even if expensive, because I want the witcher 3 (and future games) to look perfect, but how would be this card in the long run, as I dont want to change it really soon and for it to be durable with future games? Is there a huge difference between normal GTX 780 and the Ti version?

-i5 instead of i7 because I wanted to scrap some money from the CPU to give it to the GPU. Is this reccomendable in the long run? Im going to use also my PC for photoshop, etc... but the most important part for me is to be a gaming PC.

-Something that I can change to make a similar PC configuration and still scrap some money out of it? like 100-200 euros less would be the perfect price for me. The sad thing is that it seems the big thing taking a lot of money out of this configuration is the graphics card, something I would prefer it to stay if you don't change my mind. As I said I want a gaming PC that can still be pretty great in the long run, but I don't know, maybe getting a GTX780 ti is not that great idea becuase I don't really understand how this works lol BTW Right now my PC at home has a GTX 570 and my screen is a 32" 1080p.

And I think that is! Thanks in advance PC gaf.

I am running a r9 270x and will only be gaming at 1080p, probably wont ever be hitting 120fps with that card, is the Asus VS247H-P TN monitor my best bet? Or is it worth going for a higher priced IPS monitor? Playing a mix of games including fps.

LostAnkh

Has anyone worked with PNY regarding warranties? I have a 560 Ti that's failing on me, and I don't know if they'll be able to replace it, considering how long it's been since they released it.

My tiny case fan is not doing it for me. Any cheap quiet fans out there? While I'm at it, any good cheap cpu coolers. I have a feeling my stock cooler is helping with the noise.

Dave_6

I finally decided to OC my 3570K. Using a H60 cooler, I had so far only gotten it up to 4.2 @ 1.13 volts using OCCT. No problems at all so far except core 1 seems to run about 7 degrees warmer than the other cores on average (it peaked at 70 during the 4.2 test). Is that somewhat normal or do I have a possible thermal paste issue? I'm going to shoot for 4.4/4.5 here in a few minutes.

So yeah, here are my questions after all this:
-Is there any problem with that configuaration? Could it give me any problems in the future (stability, etc)?

-I chose to get a GTX870 ti even if expensive, because I want the witcher 3 (and future games) to look perfect, but how would be this card in the long run, as I dont want to change it really soon and for it to be durable with future games? Is there a huge difference between normal GTX 780 and the Ti version?

-i5 instead of i7 because I wanted to scrap some money from the CPU to give it to the GPU. Is this reccomendable in the long run? Im going to use also my PC for photoshop, etc... but the most important part for me is to be a gaming PC.

-Something that I can change to make a similar PC configuration and still scrap some money out of it? like 100-200 euros less would be the perfect price for me. The sad thing is that it seems the big thing taking a lot of money out of this configuration is the graphics card, something I would prefer it to stay if you don't change my mind. As I said I want a gaming PC that can still be pretty great in the long run, but I don't know, maybe getting a GTX780 ti is not that great idea becuase I don't really understand how this works lol BTW Right now my PC at home has a GTX 570 and my screen is a 32" 1080p.

And I think that is! Thanks in advance PC gaf.

Ok I am going to answer your questions in the same format as you asked them.

-No problems that I can see.

-The 780ti is a pretty substantial upgrade from the 780. The performance delta is normally about 15-25fps. Crysis 3 for example below. This is a card you will not need to upgrade to run games at near max settings for at least 3 years, and reasonable for 5-7 years. However if you are always looking to max out the newest game, you will always want to upgrade. There are several ways to slightly downgrade IQ and exponentially increase performance.

-Upgrade to the i7 if you think the extra 80-100 euros or whatever it would cost you to upgrade is worth it for 5-15% performance increase in productivity applications. If so go ahead and do it. If you are not concerned about being slightly slower in those apps, they are very similar in gaming performance not worth the money IMO.

-You could trim a little money off the total build cost, however you will have to decide if the trade offs are worth it. There are other budget cases that retain a good look, however arent mini itx so if you could make it a little bit bigger, you could save 20-40 euro there. Of course changing the case means you could get a different cheaper mobo that is non-ITX, has more expansion slots, better features and is cheaper most likely. I realize both of those are unlikely as you most likely wanted an ITX build. So realistically, if you are not OC'ing your i5 4670k then you could save money and get a cheaper air cooler that would still give you a little room to OC if you decide in the future, but be much cheaper. I don't see anywhere else you can save money, unless there is another good cheaper PSU or set of RAM. Other than that you would probably have to take a step down to a GTX 780.

I finally decided to OC my 3570K. Using a H60 cooler, I had so far only gotten it up to 4.2 @ 1.13 volts using OCCT. No problems at all so far except core 1 seems to run about 7 degrees warmer than the other cores on average (it peaked at 70 during the 4.2 test). Is that somewhat normal or do I have a possible thermal paste issue? I'm going to shoot for 4.4/4.5 here in a few minutes.

Delid that 3570k. You'll be amazed at the temperature drop.

Ultryx

I have a 560 Ti right now and I'm going to upgrade within the next couple weeks. Hell, I may even order it today. I'm not sure if I want to get a GTX 760 or drop the extra cash for a GTX 770. I'm think I should just drop the cash for the GTX 770. I think I'm going to. I've narrowed it down to these 3 cards:

Asus GTX 770
Gigabyte GTX 770
EVGA GTX 770

All 3 of these cards have 3 year warranties from their respective companies, so that's not a deciding factor for me any more. I will potentially OC the GPU. Which one should I go with?

I'll also be getting my first SSD. I think this is the model I've chosen. It seems to be popular for the price and well-rated:

Samsung 840 EVO SSD

I'm going to be keeping my i5 2500K and my 8GB of RAM. I'll need a new motherboard also though because mine doesn't support the newest version GPUs. I'm looking for a good quality board that will let me OC easily and is from a reputable company. It only needs to have 1 PCI-E for my video card, but I wouldn't pass up a board with 2 at the right price. SLI is not something I see myself doing, however. What boards would you guys suggest? I'm looking to spend up to ~$130 on the motherboard.

I think this is the motherboard I was settling on. What say you?!

Asus P8Z77-V LK

tarheel91

Tesla cards are mainly for companies. If you're a professional who wants to work at home as well, Titan card is a much better deal.

For compute work utilizing Double Precision fp (Most mathematical work requires high precision), Titan is twice faster than 290x, and about 12x faster than 260x. Also you can't forget CUDA.

Edit: As far as I know, you're paying extra for the custom firmware and drivers to enable higher performance double precision fp when you buy a Titan.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-28.html

Outside of one test, a 7970 outperforms and even destroys at times a Titan. The Titan beats out the 7970 in the same test at single precision, so it has nothing to do with single vs. double precision. Anyone who wants to do real, cost-effective work on Nvidia cards uses 580s.

Source: Me, engineering acquaintances, people I know who do lots of rendering, etc.

You're paying extra for Nvidia workstation cards and custom firmware. This stuff used to be available to standard cards, but they stopped after the 500 series because they could sell more Tesla cards that way. The Titan was just marked up because it was the most powerful single card on the market with no real competition.

I see OpenCL utilized much more extensively that CUDA, but that's just one field.

Hi guys I'm looking to build a new PC (or buy one if a pre-built one comes close in price and function)

I've followed the OP and used the enthusiast build (kinda)

I mainly want it for gaming and general use.

I already have an unnecessarily powerful PSU and a decent case, plus a 1TB HDD so the rest is in here unless you think it's worth getting those things again.

Part Picker Link

Any recommendations to adjust or things that would be appreciated.

I wasn't sure about what screen I wanted so went with the above but I wouldn't mind better suggestions.

I want to spend about £1200 so this is looking good so far.

If anyone thinks it's worth just buying a fully built one please do again recommend.

kharma45

Hi guys I'm looking to build a new PC (or buy one if a pre-built one comes close in price and function)

I've followed the OP and used the enthusiast build (kinda)

I mainly want it for gaming and general use.

I already have an unnecessarily powerful PSU and a decent case, plus a 1TB HDD so the rest is in here unless you think it's worth getting those things again.

Part Picker Link

Any recommendations to adjust or things that would be appreciated.

I wasn't sure about what screen I wanted so went with the above but I wouldn't mind better suggestions.

I want to spend about £1200 so this is looking good so far.

If anyone thinks it's worth just buying a fully built one please do again recommend.

You don't need 16GB of RAM, drop to 8GB for around £60.

No need for a sound card either unless you're an audiophile.

Get a Hyper 212 Evo for ~£25.

Swap the Samsung Evo SSD for the Crucial M500 240GB, Amazon has it for £85.

I'd get an IPS monitor over that one, or go 120/144Hz.

Also the benefits of the extra 2GB of VRAM in a 770 are... debatable at best. Amazon also don't do free games with their GPUs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£133.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£85.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (£289.00 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" Monitor (£137.64 @ CCL Computers)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 Memory Module (£59.99)
Total: £900.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-15 23:24 GMT+0000)

Monitor wise LG do some good IPSs to swap that Acer over from if you don't want to spend 120Hz money.

Ok I am going to answer your questions in the same format as you asked them.

-No problems that I can see.

-The 780ti is a pretty substantial upgrade from the 780. The performance delta is normally about 15-25fps. Crysis 3 for example below. This is a card you will not need to upgrade to run games at reasonable settings for at least 3 years, however if you are always looking to max out the newest game, you will always want to upgrade. There are several ways to slightly downgrade IQ and exponentially increase performance.

-Upgrade to the i7 if you think the extra 80-100 euros or whatever it would cost you to upgrade is worth it for 5-15% performance increase in productivity applications. If so go ahead and do it. If you are not concerned about being slightly slower in those apps, they are very similar in gaming performance not worth the money IMO.

-You could trim a little money off the total build cost, however you will have to decide if the trade offs are worth it. There are other budget cases that retain a good look, however arent mini itx so if you could make it a little bit bigger, you could save 20-40 euro there. Of course changing the case means you could get a different cheaper mobo that is non-ITX, has more expansion slots, better features and is cheaper most likely. I realize both of those are unlikely as you most likely wanted an ITX build. So realistically, if you are not OC'ing your i5 4670k then you could save money and get a cheaper air cooler that would still give you a little room to OC if you decide in the future, but be much cheaper. I don't see anywhere else you can save money, unless there is another good cheaper PSU or set of RAM. Other than that you would probably have to take a step down to a GTX 780.

Wow, thanks a bunch for all the info.

About the last thing, I didn't even know I was going for an ITX motherboard, I just chose it from the OP's list, same with the case.
Is ATX better and cheaper than the ITX, with the only good thing in the ITX being that its smaller? If I could really have a bigger but cheaper thing I wouldnt mind at all. Any good ATX and a case that would go along well with it?
Again, sorry for all the questions, as I suppose that they are a little silly, but I don't know much about all this, and thanks for the feedback.

EDIT
So ive been looking on the internet and it seems that is better for me to get rid of the small case, as I dont mind a bigger one, and go for an ATX motherboard. Ive been looking at this one, as it seems rather good and compatible with my build. Theres no SLI (something I just learned lol) but I dont want to connect two cards at the moment.
http://es.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gab85hd3
So it's this one good? It costs me 77 euros and the opinions at the webpage Im buying the PC are really good.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You should get a Z87 motherboard so you can overclock :p
Did anyone jump from a Nvidia 570 to a 780? How was the jump in power? Was it worth it?

One of the reasons that I'm hesitant on getting a new card yet is the 3GB of vram. It is better than 1.25GB in my Nvidia 570 right now, but will it be enough to handle newer games down the line. I know a card won't last forever in the PC world, but with games putting out things like very detailed textures, I'm not sure if it will handle that intense load.
570 to a 670 was worth it, so I'd say so
I got some smaller questions:

01) I need a mouse for my new desktop, preferably good for gaming but I also love the claw grip and having the back/forward buttons on the side. None of the recommended ones in the OP seem to meet my wishes.

02) Which is a good keyboard with back-lighting, which is also good for typing primarily? Currently, I got the Logitech diNovo Edge but it doesn't have back-lighting.

03) I also need a drawing pad and I have heard good things about Wacom. It shouldn't be too expensive, as I only need it to draw website designs in Photoshop CS6.
CM Spawn is what is use exactly for that reason
G710+
Wacom is good, but pricey
So is the 760 a decent card?
More than decent
My friend hates the acceleration on mice and stuff, should he buy a Rival or Sensei?
I think the Rival has less. The Sensei has some, but less that most other mice.

great and how quiet does it really run under full load?

I wear headphones so I don't hear anything at all, but when I have them off it basically sounds like having a small fan on next to my feet. Then again I'm leaving my case fans on at 5v (including the fans on the H80i) which is near silent already. I think on the benchmarks, the GTX 780 lightning under load is at 40db and 38 db on idle.

Alex

Geforce sucks at anything outside of games, unfortunately, for a variety of dumb reasons that makes me dislike Nvidia.

I loved my 7950, but I was so happy to get off of it just because of the ridiculous 2D clocks that go up and down and caused a hard flicker every 5 minutes outside of a game and also scaling awkwardly with both of the HDTVs in the house

AMD is (or was, stupid bitcoin crap) amazing value, especially when you could get a 7950 for 199 and overclock it 300-400 mhz on air without breaking a sweat, but for quality of life I'm happier to be back on Nvidia

Is this ram going to give me any problems:
http://es.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls4g3d1339ds1s00
I found the 2X4 version on the web Im buying but it doesnt seem to exist in pcpartpicker.

You should get a Z87 motherboard so you can overclock :p

You mean this one:
http://es.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz87hd3

Is there much difference between the other one if I don't overclock at first?

If I dont change the mother board to a z87, after some tweaks this is my new pc build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2TUGo
Good?

Anyone in here able to recommend me a good wireless router for my family? We're having a lot of issues with our wi-fi and it's definitely the router.

I guess the only real requirements would be long signal range and able to easily port-forward (my current router will not let me.)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is this ram going to give me any problems:
http://es.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-bls4g3d1339ds1s00
I found the 2X4 version on the web Im buying but it doesnt seem to exist in pcpartpicker.

You mean this one:
http://es.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz87hd3

Is there much difference between the other one if I don't overclock at first?

If I dont change the mother board to a z87, after some tweaks this is my new pc build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2TUGo
Good?
Massive difference if you overclock.
Get a modular PSU like an X650/HX650/Seasonic
Really should have a modular PSU and a okay mobo like a Biostar Z87 / Z87X or ASUS Z87 A if you are dropping the money on a 780Ti
Anyone in here able to recommend me a good wireless router for my family? We're having a lot of issues with our wi-fi and it's definitely the router.

I guess the only real requirements would be long signal range and able to easily port-forward (my current router will not let me.)
If you are comfortable flashing firmware I would get an ASUS RT-N16 with Tomato

If you are comfortable flashing firmware I would get an ASUS RT-N16 with Tomato

I've never done it before but I wouldn't be opposed to trying it. What's the benefit of using that firmware over the stock firmware?

Thanks for the recommendation, by the way. I'll check it out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516-28.html

Outside of one test, a 7970 outperforms and even destroys at times a Titan. The Titan beats out the 7970 in the same test at single precision, so it has nothing to do with single vs. double precision. Anyone who wants to do real, cost-effective work on Nvidia cards uses 580s.

Source: Me, engineering acquaintances, people I know who do lots of rendering, etc.

You're paying extra for Nvidia workstation cards and custom firmware. This stuff used to be available to standard cards, but they stopped after the 500 series because they could sell more Tesla cards that way. The Titan was just marked up because it was the most powerful single card on the market with no real competition.

I see OpenCL utilized much more extensively that CUDA, but that's just one field.

That's the point. The benchmark you've linked to are OpenCL benchmarks and Titan equals it in folding @ home while Radeon is beating it on a specific synthetic benchmark. Radeon is good for few things but Nvidia is a lot more versatile. You want to use an AMD card for programs that only support CUDA? Tough luck. Support for CUDA is a lot better for programs like Matlab which is used a lot more extensively compared to a specific benchmarking software.

Also you have to keep in mind that a lot of programmers use Linux.

I wish OpenCL would be beat out CUDA in the end OpenCL is open source but unfortunately, because of Radeon's shit driver outside Windows, it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

In the end, if you're going to recommend people to buy an AMD gpu for compute, you're doing them a disservice unless you know specifically what they are going to use it for.

Bii

Swap the Samsung Evo SSD for the Crucial M500 240GB, Amazon has it for £85.

So the Crucial M500 240GB would be a better deal at $124.99 vs a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB at $145.99? Not sure if getting a Samsung 840 Evo for an additional $21 is worth it. It also looks like the Crucial M500 240GB is as low as it's ever been from Amazon.

Quasar

This video shows the ridiculous prices.

I wonder if it really is totally out of AMD hands. I mean Apple controls reseller prices well. Why can't AMD require 'not sold over MSRP' is its contracts with resellers? Of course that would just mean not stock rather than offensively stupid prices.

tarheel91

That's the point. The benchmark you've linked to are OpenCL benchmarks and Titan equals it in folding @ home while Radeon is beating it on a specific synthetic benchmark. Radeon is good for few things but Nvidia is a lot more versatile. You want to use an AMD card for programs that only support CUDA? Tough luck. Support for CUDA is a lot better for programs like Matlab which is used a lot more extensively compared to a specific benchmarking software.

Also you have to keep in mind that a lot of programmers use Linux.

I wish OpenCL would be beat out CUDA in the end OpenCL is open source but unfortunately, because of Radeon's shit driver outside Windows, it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

In the end, if you're going to recommend people to buy an AMD gpu for compute, you're doing them a disservice unless you know specifically what they are going to use it for.

The one field was mechanical engineering, not some benchmark I linked to. Let's set aside compute strength for a second, and recognize that Nvidia hides away all their driver support for popular professional programs while AMD doesn't. That makes a very big difference for the average user. And while you can continue to use your 580s and old drivers, things continue to advance, and they're already out of date.

Massive difference if you overclock.
Get a modular PSU like an X650/HX650/Seasonic
Really should have a modular PSU and a okay mobo like a Biostar Z87 / Z87X or ASUS Z87 A if you are dropping the money on a 780Ti

The thing is, im getting cheaper mobo and PSU becuase I want to put the money on the 780ti.
Although watching modular PSU videos right now, holy shit, the difference in cables is insane, but they are expensive, so i dont know what to do. And as I said, I dont want to overclock, at least at the start. Maybe down the line, who knows, but then i will probably have the money to change those.

EDIT: Just looked the PSU I have in the list. Its modular.

The one field was mechanical engineering, not some benchmark I linked to. Let's set aside compute strength for a second, and recognize that Nvidia hides away all their driver support for popular professional programs while AMD doesn't. That makes a very big difference for the average user. And while you can continue to use your 580s and old drivers, things continue to advance, and they're already out of date.

Yes. Let's take into account functionality, support, compatibility, and stability. Things will continue to advance and AMD's support for old hardware is atrocious. Which is why you won't see many professional equipment utilizing AMD gpus.

If you're going to build a personal computer for compute tasks, which one would you recommend to people? One that works well in Windows and few things or one that works well in many OS's and many things with better and easier to find support?

I'm not sure about the field of m.e but in CS, you don't tell people to buy AMD gpus outside gaming. I'd assume the same for other scientific fields as well.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ive got an aged gaming PC I'm looking to upgrade for titanfall and dark souls 2. My CPU is a Phenom II X4 955 and my GPU is a 560Ti. Do you guys think I would get more bang for my buck upgrading the cpu or gpu? I probably cant afford both. Right now I also have 8gb of ram, and usually game at 1920x1080. Thanks for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom