• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Do you guys do anything special when you buy new hard drives to test them before putting them to real proper use? I've always been a bit paranoid about that stuff, and almost always keep the new drive as a secondary drive for a month or so before I trust it enough to put anything on it permanently.

Am I crazy?

notoriousmatty

Neo Member
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2UjMk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2UjMk/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2UjMk/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($137.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1392.88
Ill also need some kind of 24-27 inch monitor.
I might hold out for the nzxt h440 to release before pulling the trigger.

Suggestions? This will be my first build in about 15 years so I wanna get it right to run games at at least 1080p for a few years without tinkering. I tried to follow the excellent build on the front page. Trying to stay under 1500 on the tower. Thank you all.

So I just built Haz's 'excellent build' desktop and it's working great so far. However I've run into a problem wih internet speeds since getting it online. I'm using a wired connection which was working great in a laptop a few hours before I inserted it into my new PC. My connection works but it's incredibly slow.For instance, it's taken about 25 mins to download a 30mb install for Steam. It sucks.

All other wireless devices have had the same speed issue since I made this new connection too. My phone hasn't been loading fast at all, although my dad's wired PC is starting to pick back up again.What could be causing this? For reference, we have about 3 wireless devices in use at any time and 2 wired PCs (including my new one) and I'm in Windows 8.1 and BT Home Hub 4.

cyen

Haha, I'm also having this issue with my 2 Windforce 780ti's. Luckily GPU Boost 2.0 lets me set a temp target but with that kind of cooler I'd rather not see those temps.

As noted in my earlier post, MB temps got to 60C before I made the changes. CPU is fine but I'm debating on putting a fan next to my GPU's like yours. How did you mount that there?

yea, the first card gets the heat from the second one and is really hard to make the temperature cooler around the GPU´s area.

I´ve sacrificied the silence during gameplay for temperature, still mostly silence when sitting at the desktop.

It´s not mounted yet, was just for testing, it definitly helps in my case. Will secure the fan with strong velcro.

kakashi08

I was running 2x 7970 (crossfire).
Just sold one of my 7970 for $350. Why did I sell it, well because it always ran games more smoother when It wasn't running in CF.

Main question is, should I sell the remaining 7970 and buy a gtx780 or 780ti? Is the difference that big. I'm sticking to 1 gpu, its more simple and more smoother. I only use 1 monitor.

PC Specs:
CPU: i7 3770k
MOBO: Sabertooth z77
RAM: 8GB
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB
PSU: 750W
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series
Monitor: BenQxL2420t

Ok se here's what I've got:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ul7C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ul7C/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ul7C/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£133.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£92.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£252.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 Memory Module (£59.99)
Total: £735.24
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-16 20:46 GMT+0000)

Monitors I have shortlisted 3 as I wanted 120 or 144Hz and these were the only ones listed (I think).

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-xl2411t
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-xl2420t

There were some over £300 but I think that's overkill price wise.

My current case is a gigabyte 3d aurora which I have had for yonks but should manage everything fine. http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/gigabyte_3d_aurora_case/1

Any more recommendations?

kharma45

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2UjMk
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2UjMk/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2UjMk/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($137.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1392.88
Ill also need some kind of 24-27 inch monitor.
I might hold out for the nzxt h440 to release before pulling the trigger.

Suggestions? This will be my first build in about 15 years so I wanna get it right to run games at at least 1080p for a few years without tinkering. I tried to follow the excellent build on the front page. Trying to stay under 1500 on the tower. Thank you all.

840 Pro is over priced and so is that PSU. I'd pay a tiny bit more for twice the capacity and drop to this PSU at $90 which is still overkill but much better value for what you get

http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...1&manufacture=CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY&promoid=1084

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

- J - D -

Think I might put 4 SP120's on my side panel since the 500r can handle that. Need to draw more air into the the case.

In one of your previous posts I read that your rig already has 8 intake fans. You're considering adding 4 more? If they're going to be side-mounted, maybe setting them up as exhaust fans would be better because that type of gpu cooling blows hot air outwards from sides (the lengths) of the gpus.

Rubius

So Gaf, I want to build a new PC. Should I wait for the CPU's to hit the market or are the prices down enough to get a PC now?
It will be a 1600 CA$ ish PC for the next 4-5 years so I want to be sure to not get screwed CPU wise.

El_Chino

So my cousin just got gifted a gaming PC from one of his friends, from what I know it has a i7-3770k, 2x EVGA Gtx 660 ti in SLI and 16 GB of RAM. What kind of gaming performance should he expect?

kharma45

So Gaf, I want to build a new PC. Should I wait for the CPU's to hit the market or are the prices down enough to get a PC now?
It will be a 1600 CA$ ish PC for the next 4-5 years so I want to be sure to not get screwed CPU wise.

CPU market is stagnant now, there is no need to wait.

Only thing changing will be Haswell-E probably in September with DDR4 but it's the enthusiast section of the market and will be expensive.

So my cousin just got gifted a gaming PC from one of his friends, from what I know it has a i7-3770k, 2x EVGA Gtx 660 ti in SLI and 16 GB of RAM. What kind of gaming performance should he expect?

Pretty good. CPU is top notch (look in to overclocking it) and the 660 Ti is a very solid card still. There'll be the odd SLI headache but it'll be very good most of the time.

El_Chino

Only thing changing will be Haswell-E probably in September with DDR4 but it's the enthusiast section of the market and will be expensive.

Pretty good. CPU is top notch (look in to overclocking it) and the 660 Ti is a very solid card still. There'll be the odd SLI headache but it'll be very good most of the time.
Great new lol. He was mostly worried about Battlefield 4 and upcoming next-gen games.

bro1

Banned
yea, the first card gets the heat from the second one and is really hard to make the temperature cooler around the GPU´s area.

I´ve sacrificied the silence during gameplay for temperature, still mostly silence when sitting at the desktop.

It´s not mounted yet, was just for testing, it definitly helps in my case. Will secure the fan with strong velcro.

I have dual gtx 770s and it raised my temps tremendously in my corsair carbide case going install 3 more fans on Tuesday, giving me 6 case fans. Should help.

bro1

Banned
Just sold one of my 7970 for $350. Why did I sell it, well because it always ran games more smoother when It wasn't running in CF.

Main question is, should I sell the remaining 7970 and buy a gtx780 or 780ti? Is the difference that big. I'm sticking to 1 gpu, its more simple and more smoother. I only use 1 monitor.

PC Specs:
I have a similar setup with dual gtx 770s and it's been super smooth.

So I have an issue.

Put my PC together yesterday. Everything seemed of.o work perfectly. I installed W8.1,installed all the prerequisite software. The drivers and software for the 760 I got off of EVDO directly as opposed to using the disc that it came with.

Everything going well except...

I tested it out on The Witcher (original) Enhanced Edition from GoG. I noticed when the game runs a high pitched sound comes from the graphics card that doesn't exactly seem like it's normal. Then again, I don't know. Also when the game is open I experience an odd subtle but very annoying vertical flicker on my screen. Looks sort of like how a monitor looks when you look at it through a cameras viewfinder except more muted. Everything worked technically but I dunno. It's concerning. I turned on VSync but I don't know that this will help. It happened in the menus in addition to the game play. Literally as soon as it fired up.

bro1

Banned
So I have an issue.

Put my PC together yesterday. Everything seemed of.o work perfectly. I installed W8.1,installed all the prerequisite software. The drivers and software for the 760 I got off of EVDO directly as opposed to using the disc that it came with.

Everything going well except...

I tested it out on The Witcher (original) Enhanced Edition from GoG. I noticed when the game runs a high pitched sound comes from the graphics card that doesn't exactly seem like it's normal. Then again, I don't know. Also when the game is open I experience an odd subtle but very annoying vertical flicker on my screen. Looks sort of like how a monitor looks when you look at it through a cameras viewfinder except more muted. Everything worked technically but I dunno. It's concerning. I turned on VSync but I don't know that this will help. It happened in the menus in addition to the game play. Literally as soon as it fired up.

The sound you are hearing is called coil whine and it is not unusual. Sometimes a particular combo of PSU and GPU can produce it or it can be an indivisual unit. Nothing to worry about.

As far the flicker, does it happen on other games?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
In one of your previous posts I read that your rig already has 8 intake fans. You're considering adding 4 more? If they're going to be side-mounted, maybe setting them up as exhaust fans would be better because that type of gpu cooling blows hot air outwards from sides (the lengths) of the gpus.
I will probaboy end up trying both ways and put a fan with velcro next to the 2 GPU's.

EDIT - Ordered 2 pairs of SP120 Performance fans. I already have 2 4 pin PWM splitters so that's some costs cut there.

kharma45

Thats the best site we have in Spain. There is nothing better here sadly.
It surprises me that two people have already said here they are not very good units when the amjority of people are saying it's really good in the comments section though.

It's not that they're bad, they're just mediocre with too many DOA units for my liking.

Could someone take a quick look over my build and make sure it all looks good with regards to compatibility?

Main uses are gaming and programming.

I am planning to do some minor overclocking. Also, I know the PSU is overkill for the setup, but I'm planning to go SLI eventually so I want to have that extra cushion. It seems like the Corsair 760i w/ Corsair Link was cheaper than the regular 760 without it. Figured I may as well get more for less.

I went with an EVGA 780 Ti over other 780 Ti's mainly because of their Step-Up program. Seems like a fantastic card, and I'm glad that I'd be covered for 3 months if anything new comes out (such as possible Maxwell in March at GTC).

The 1TB SSD is definitely pricey, but having the OS, applications and majority of my games on the SSD will be beautiful. It's worth the cost to me.

In addition to the below, I'm recycling a 1TB HDD, mouse, keyboard, audio-technica headphones and 2 1080p monitors from my current build. Later this year I'm planning to get a 1440p monitor to really flex the GPU's muscles. I decided to focus my money on what I truly need to upgrade right now, and focus on the auxiliaries in a few months. I'm also getting Windows 8.1 from work so that's covered.

I currently have a roughly 5-year old build (put it together in November 2009), so I'm in desperate need of an upgrade.

Old and busted:
i5-750
AMD Radeon 5750
4GB DDR3

New hotness:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($197.27 @ TigerDirect)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($499.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2244.21
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-16 19:06 EST-0500)

Is there anything I'm missing? The case comes with fans, and the Corsair H110 comes with fans as well. Unless the included fans turn out to be too loud, I'll likely stick with them.

Bleepey

AMD A8-5500 Trinity 3.2GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Quad-Core

65 pounds

8gb DDR3 RAM 2 x 4gb =

50 pounds

Decent FM2 Motherboard

40 pounds

Power Supply

30 pounds

case

30 pounds

dvd drive

15 pounds

HDD

30 pounds

gfx card ATI 7790 and above

80 pounds

A friend of mine recommended the above build for something that can play most modern games on high for about £300. What does GAF think?

Fallout New Vegas runs on ultra no problem.

The Witcher 2 doesn't auto detect ultra settings which is pretty disappointing. If I bump it up to ultra manually I get the strange sort of vertical lines I was talking about.

So my current desktop has been unusable for a while due to hal.dll bsods that I think are being caused by the motherboard. Its an older Core2Quad build about 6 years old so I'm thinking I'm just going to upgrade and be done with it. I've been going back and forth on parts (mostly which motherboard and SSD size) and I wanted to get some more input if you guys have any good suggestions. I'll be reusing a 640gb WD drive, case, Antech 850w psu, and Nvidia 560 ti (I'll probably upgrade this end of the year or so but not now).

i5-4670K

ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer motherboard. I'm torn on this one. I don't think I'll use SLI since I game at 1920x1080 and at first I thought I'd just go with a non K cpu but all of the lower end motherboards I've looked at have down right terrible reviews. This one has features I won't use but at $120 the price isn't too awful and its gotten great reviews. Mostly I just want to make sure I have at least 5 SATA ports and enough headers for 3 front panel USB ports which this one seems to cover. If I go with a higher tier motherboard I figured I might as well get a K model cpu as well.

Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 500gb SSD. I've been going back and forth with getting either a larger SSD or smaller SSD and I still can't seem to decide. It would be fantastic to just have all my games on a fast SSD but it is pretty expensive. I could probably fit windows and one or two games on a 120gb SSD but I'd need a larger HD to go a long with for the rest.

Anything you guys would change?

Rizific

question. so ive had the same cable modem since about 2005ish. could this have any effect on my internet speed? would it definitely benefit me if i got an updated modem?

Could someone take a quick look over my build and make sure it all looks good with regards to compatibility?

I am planning to do some minor overclocking. Also, I know the PSU is overkill for the setup, but I'm planning to go SLI eventually so I want to have that extra cushion. It seems like the Corsair 760i w/ Corsair Link was cheaper than the regular 760 without it. Figured I may as well get more for less.

Other than the fact that it is insanely expensive it will be compatible. There is literally no need for a 80-Plus Platinum PSU. You could probably find a decent 80-Plus Gold or Bronze for around $100, and it would offer more than enough output for SLi'd 780Ti's.

A friend of mine recommended the above build for something that can play most modern games on high for about £300. What does GAF think?

It won't run everything on high, but it will do alright. I assume he intended for Crossfire with the descrete card, but just be warned crossfire alone is spotty, and crossfire with an APU is even worse (in terms of support). The prices are also generously low. I highly doubt you would get a decent FM2 mobo for 40 pounds.

I would say your best bet would actually be to get a low end AM3+ mobo, FX-43xx CPU, and a solid descrete GPU. Odds are it would be cheaper and perform much better than a PC like the one your friend quoted you.

theultimo

I returned the 660 i got for cheap, it just was not keeping up with the fillrate with aa+af on 1080p gaming. I bought this - an oddity, its an EVGA GTX 760 kinda/sorta superclocked. I had a $50 gift card at best buy and spent $220.00 on it. Its an ACX, but the GPU is kinda in the middle between being an SC and Base. The SC version is running 1072mhz/1137 Boost, this one is running 1059Mhz/1124 Mhz? I could not see this specific card on EVGA's Website, is this an exclusive model for best buy or something?

xEOUY7Ol.jpg

question. so ive had the same cable modem since about 2005ish. could this have any effect on my internet speed? would it definitely benefit me if i got an updated modem?

Uh yea you might wanna get a Docsis 3.0 modem if your provider supports it. You'll see a difference, I definitely did back when I went from 2.0 to 3.0.

Bii

Darn, I should've snagged the i5-4670K from Amazon for $219.99 when I had a chance (if I had a MicroCenter nearby, I'd have it for even less :(). In any case, buying and selecting the components for my new build is fun. Already have the PSU, just ordered an SSD from Amazon and have a motherboard coming in from a fellow GAFer. All that's left is just the processor, case and RAM. The former two I already know what I'm getting whereas I'm sort of up in the air with RAM. I will eventually get a 780 but will use my 460 1GB in the mean time.

Been watching a lot of installation and cable management videos. XD

theultimo

Darn, I should've snagged the i5-4670K from Amazon for $219.99 when I had a chance (if I had a MicroCenter nearby, I'd have it for even less :(). In any case, buying and selecting the components for my new build is fun. Already have the PSU, just ordered an SSD from Amazon and have a motherboard coming in from a fellow GAFer. All that's left is just the processor, case and RAM. The former two I already know what I'm getting whereas I'm sort of up in the air with RAM. I will eventually get a 780 but will use my 460 1GB in the mean time.

Been watching a lot of installation and cable management videos. XD

I need to do better cable management in my fractal node 304, but it is a pain. I got a clear intake + exhaust, but it looks like a mess :|

Does anyone here know of any issues with Crucial's mSATA SSD drives? A few New Egg reviews mention complete duds but I assume that's the usual small percentage of CE device failures and people just being vocal about it. Looking for a hard drive for my Intel NUC.

Pratfall

Starting to get single pixel wide pink and blue lines on my monitor when I wake it from sleep. They last about 15 minutes and then go away. Do people think this is a video card issue or a monitor issue? I unfortunately don't have a spare monitor or video card to diagnose it.

I am running on a 3 year old 580 and want to replace it but was hoping to wait for the new 22nm cards coming this fall. Do people think I am making a huge performance sacrifice if I bought a 780Ti right now?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thats the best site we have in Spain. There is nothing better here sadly.
It surprises me that two people have already said here they are not very good units when the amjority of people are saying it's really good in the comments section though.
I'd say 99% of PSU comments don't look at stuff Jonnyguru or [H] or HardwareSecrets do on PSU testing where they open supplies and run them through a multi thousand dollar power tester.

As long as it works, isn't shit, and meets other needs it'll be fine. FWIW the CX750M isn't a BAD unit, it's just there are others that are better for the same price. If availability is a concern it's still absolutely fine to purchase.
Sounds good to me.

Is the ASUS RT-N16 both a modem and a wireless router? Are most combined these days? I may be switching ISPs and I'd rather purchase my own hardware. Right now I have Verizon and the router they provided me is also my modem. I'm just curious if that's standard.

I'm totally clueless about networking :(
Router only. Modem should be bought/provided from your ISP. Your new modem might have wifi and routing capabilities but it's probably shit so you should use a router anyway.
Okay I'm excited just about everything is bought, just waiting on things to ship, here are the specs I'm looking at:

MOBO:Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Socket LGA 1150 ATX Intel
CPU: 4770K i7
Hard Drive: Toshiba 7200 2TB Enterprise
SSD: Crucial 240 GB M500
PSU: Corsair HX750 750W
Case: Corsair 650D
Drive: ASUS BW BURNER
GPU: GTX 680
Ram: 16GB Crucial Tactial Low Profile 1600MHZ, 1.35v

When I need to upgrade I'll just buy another GTX 680 and SLI, those are my plans
Looks good
Nearing 8 months of every day use. Keep a clean and dust free PC guys!

JypACy0l.jpg

I was planning on doing a re-build with Haswell-E and Maxwell, but I'm not sure. This rig has been so bulletproof, so I think I might stay with it.
Need a house that doesn't dump dust in your room first. Hopeless battle.
I've never over clocked before. Using a 4670k and Haz's guide in the OP. Yes, I am using a Hyper 212. http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

So I do the first step and change CPU Clock Ratio from 34 to 42. Insta crash. I guess I have a dog CPU? I then reboot and change CPU Vcore to 1.2 then CPU CR to 42. Works. Is that all I should do? Is it OK?

Totally new to this.

Edit: lol jk it doesn't even boot with 42.
Start at 3.8 and work up. Keep voltage under 1.3 and get a feel for how your chip fares at clocks / voltages.
So my newly built PC randomly restarts in the middle of playing Titanfall. I played the tutorial and 3 rounds last night with no issue. Today I joined a game and it restarted within a few minutes. After it rebooted I played 2 matches and it rebooted in the middle of the 3rd. Anyone have any ideas?
Sounds like overheatting. Check temps with tools in the OP.
If your CPU is going over 70C and GPU over 90C could be a problem there.
Hey PC GAF, need some help troubleshooting. So last night everything ran fine. Downloaded drivers and Windows updates and called it a night. When I turned on the PC this morning, Windows tried to startup repair but found nothing. And kept restarting ever since. I removed my Gigabyte R7 260x and it started fine and running. Is it safe to assume I should RMA the video card? Anything I should do to troubleshoot any other possible issues?

Thanks in advance.
You could try a system restore back before that and the other PCI-E slot on your motherboard. Replug your power connections as well.
Do you guys do anything special when you buy new hard drives to test them before putting them to real proper use? I've always been a bit paranoid about that stuff, and almost always keep the new drive as a secondary drive for a month or so before I trust it enough to put anything on it permanently.

Am I crazy?
I don't trust any HDD. Run the manufacturer diagnostic and SMART on it.
So I just built Haz's 'excellent build' desktop and it's working great so far. However I've run into a problem wih internet speeds since getting it online. I'm using a wired connection which was working great in a laptop a few hours before I inserted it into my new PC. My connection works but it's incredibly slow.For instance, it's taken about 25 mins to download a 30mb install for Steam. It sucks.

All other wireless devices have had the same speed issue since I made this new connection too. My phone hasn't been loading fast at all, although my dad's wired PC is starting to pick back up again.What could be causing this? For reference, we have about 3 wireless devices in use at any time and 2 wired PCs (including my new one) and I'm in Windows 8.1 and BT Home Hub 4.
That's really odd, maybe get some kind of network monitoring tool install on your PC or router? Change your DNS?

PC Specs:
It's a nice jump to a 780. I'd swap up.
Ok se here's what I've got:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ul7C
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ul7C/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ul7C/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£133.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£92.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£252.99 @ Amazon UK)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 Memory Module (£59.99)
Total: £735.24
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-16 20:46 GMT+0000)

Monitors I have shortlisted 3 as I wanted 120 or 144Hz and these were the only ones listed (I think).

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-xl2411t
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-xl2420t

There were some over £300 but I think that's overkill price wise.

My current case is a gigabyte 3d aurora which I have had for yonks but should manage everything fine. http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/gigabyte_3d_aurora_case/1

Any more recommendations?
Just grab the UD4H (I think that is okay with 4 RAM DIMMS) or the ASUS Z87 A / Pro

I went with an EVGA 780 Ti over other 780 Ti's mainly because of their Step-Up program. Seems like a fantastic card, and I'm glad that I'd be covered for 3 months if anything new comes out (such as possible Maxwell in March at GTC).

The 1TB SSD is definitely pricey, but having the OS, applications and majority of my games on the SSD will be beautiful. It's worth the cost to me.

In addition to the below, I'm recycling a 1TB HDD, mouse, keyboard, audio-technica headphones and 2 1080p monitors from my current build. Later this year I'm planning to get a 1440p monitor to really flex the GPU's muscles. I decided to focus my money on what I truly need to upgrade right now, and focus on the auxiliaries in a few months. I'm also getting Windows 8.1 from work so that's covered.

I currently have a roughly 5-year old build (put it together in November 2009), so I'm in desperate need of an upgrade.

Old and busted:
i5-750
AMD Radeon 5750
4GB DDR3

New hotness:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($304.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($197.27 @ TigerDirect)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($499.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2244.21
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-16 19:06 EST-0500)

Is there anything I'm missing? The case comes with fans, and the Corsair H110 comes with fans as well. Unless the included fans turn out to be too loud, I'll likely stick with them.
Those are pretty good parts I'd say you are set.
I'd rather do some used part hunting before going a super budget build with a GPU under $130.
GPU is the main thing that needs improvement.
Fallout New Vegas runs on ultra no problem.

The Witcher 2 doesn't auto detect ultra settings which is pretty disappointing. If I bump it up to ultra manually I get the strange sort of vertical lines I was talking about.
Artifacting?
So my current desktop has been unusable for a while due to hal.dll bsods that I think are being caused by the motherboard. Its an older Core2Quad build about 6 years old so I'm thinking I'm just going to upgrade and be done with it. I've been going back and forth on parts (mostly which motherboard and SSD size) and I wanted to get some more input if you guys have any good suggestions. I'll be reusing a 640gb WD drive, case, Antech 850w psu, and Nvidia 560 ti (I'll probably upgrade this end of the year or so but not now).

i5-4670K

ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer motherboard. I'm torn on this one. I don't think I'll use SLI since I game at 1920x1080 and at first I thought I'd just go with a non K cpu but all of the lower end motherboards I've looked at have down right terrible reviews. This one has features I won't use but at $120 the price isn't too awful and its gotten great reviews. Mostly I just want to make sure I have at least 5 SATA ports and enough headers for 3 front panel USB ports which this one seems to cover. If I go with a higher tier motherboard I figured I might as well get a K model cpu as well.

Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 500gb SSD. I've been going back and forth with getting either a larger SSD or smaller SSD and I still can't seem to decide. It would be fantastic to just have all my games on a fast SSD but it is pretty expensive. I could probably fit windows and one or two games on a 120gb SSD but I'd need a larger HD to go a long with for the rest.

Anything you guys would change?
I'd get a Biostar Z87 or Z87X board. Get RAM that is 1.5V if you can. Most of the HyperX is 1.65V
Yes, you'll want/need a docsis 3.0 one. Your ISP should let you know, or ask them.
Does anyone here know of any issues with Crucial's mSATA SSD drives? A few New Egg reviews mention complete duds but I assume that's the usual small percentage of CE device failures and people just being vocal about it. Looking for a hard drive for my Intel NUC.
mSATA seem to have a higher DOA rate than all SSDs.

Other than the fact that it is insanely expensive it will be compatible. There is literally no need for a 80-Plus Platinum PSU. You could probably find a decent 80-Plus Gold or Bronze for around $100, and it would offer more than enough output for SLi'd 780Ti's.

Thanks for the advice. Managed to save $50 off the build by switching to a EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply. I assume that will still be more than enough and a solid PSU choice? It seems to have good reviews on PC Part Picker.

I'm also considering dropping the liquid cooler and just switching to an air cooler for the CPU since the case has such great ventilation already. That would save me another $70, but I'm going to do a bit more research first.

*Edit* Thanks for checking out my parts Hazaro! Planning to start ordering parts this week. Just getting feedback from you guys and the build a pc subreddit before committing. :)

Hmm after doing some research I think I'm going to do a mATX build instead of mITX because I want an internal sound card. And because I'm cheap I think I'll go r7 260x (after 120$ price drop) and i3 4130. How would that serve me for dolphin/pcsx2 emulation? If it sucks ass I'd consider ponying up the extra cash for a 4670k and gtx 760/r9 270x.

Snakeyes

RAM too if you buy it at the start of a cycle, but yes those are the ones you can swap over usually.
Alright, cool.

Another question: how realistic is it to passively cool an i7 4770 (non K) if I'm not overclocking? Are there any other components that can be fanless without compromising the rig?

Tablo

Hmm after doing some research I think I'm going to do a mATX build instead of mITX because I want an internal sound card. And because I'm cheap I think I'll go r7 260x (after 120$ price drop) and i3 4130. How would that serve me for dolphin/pcsx2 emulation? If it sucks ass I'd consider ponying up the extra cash for a 4670k and gtx 760/r9 270x.
For emulation the 4670K will definitely make a big difference, and Nvidia rather drivers are better and iirc would be better for emulation too so I would go 4670K and a 760. :)

Sounds like overheatting. Check temps with tools in the OP.
If your CPU is going over 70C and GPU over 90C could be a problem there.

I ran RealTemp while playing TitanFall tonight. Hottest my CPU got was 54C. My GPU was around 70ish. Any other suggestions??

kakashi08

Which 780 is good, I haven't been looking into GPU's since Nov, 2012 when I built my PC and got the 7970's.
I went AMD for my past 2 builds, I would like to get a Nvidia, 780 seems a nice jump from a 7970.
For the 780, "evga, asus, msi, or gigabyte"?

My budget for a GPU is $600-700. If not the 780, is there another GPU you would recommend?

Thanks for the advice. Managed to save $50 off the build by switching to a EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply. I assume that will still be more than enough and a solid PSU choice? It seems to have good reviews on PC Part Picker.

I'm also considering dropping the liquid cooler and just switching to an air cooler for the CPU since the case has such great ventilation already. That would save me another $70, but I'm going to do a bit more research first.

*Edit* Thanks for checking out my parts Hazaro! Planning to start ordering parts this week. Just getting feedback from you guys and the build a pc subreddit before committing. :)

I would recommend going for something like a Hyper 212 EVO rather than an H110. H110's are nice, but only if you get a very spacious full tower and want a slightly quieter solution, they still have 2 fans which are alright but not amazing. I have a H60 and considering replacing it with a 212 because I'm super nervous it might leak at any point.

Which 780 is good, I haven't been looking into GPU's since Nov, 2012 when I built my PC and got the 7970's.
I went AMD for my past 2 builds, I would like to get a Nvidia, 780 seems a nice jump from a 7970.

My budget for a GPU is $600-700. If not the 780, is there another GPU you would recommend?

ASUS DirectCU II's are nice, as are Gigabyte Windforce 3 models. MSI TwinFrozrs are also very effective. I've heard a lot of good things about eVGA's with the ACX coolers, plus eVGA tends to use really good memory modules leading to substantially higher memory OC's than their competitors. The only company I don't trust is XFX because they have bad history of selling crap products.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You really want the 4670K if you are doing emulation

What neurosisxeno says is also true. Those parts are very high end (and great), but you can stand to save a bit. I'd also go with a nice hefty air cooler over water due to pump noise / cost (I run a X60 myself, close to the H110).
For example the PSU you listed is one of the absolute best units, but you don't *really* need it. :p

The /r/buildapc subreddit is okay, but I've seen not so great advice pop up more often than I'd like. Plus they championed that AMD FX8000 bullshit that the reddit circlejerker YouTube guy did (With zero way to prove his benches that contradicted every result on the internet) and downvoted everything that made an argument with valid supporting evidence. So I don't really care for it.
At least they have good intentions though.

Any dual or tri-fan 780. Personally I'd go with the cheapest which would probably be GB.

The 760 is noticably faster.

Alrighty, I'll probably get it then unless some crazy price drops happen :)

Where are you finding a 270x for that much less than a 760?

Canadian retailers
such as http://www.vuugo.com/computer-hardw...ards-R9-270X-HAWK.html?tracking=5108053939762

You really want the 4670K if you are doing emulation

Ok thank you :)

Oh and I'm looking at this case
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553011
Obviously it's out of stock on Newegg but I can get it from tigerdirect. Anyways can anyone recommend me a heatsink/cpu cooler that will fit in there? Or perhaps a different, better mATX tower?

What neurosisxeno says is also true. Those parts are very high end (and great), but you can stand to save a bit. I'd also go with a nice hefty air cooler over water due to pump noise / cost (I run a X60 myself, close to the H110).
For example the PSU you listed is one of the absolute best units, but you don't *really* need it. :p

The /r/buildapc subreddit is okay, but I've seen not so great advice pop up more often than I'd like. Plus they championed that AMD FX8000 bullshit that the reddit circlejerker YouTube guy did (With zero way to prove his benches that contradicted every result on the internet) and downvoted everything that made an argument with valid supporting evidence. So I don't really care for it.
At least they have good intentions though.

Yea I just thumbed through the TPU review of the AX760i. The thing is an absolute beast, but I don't know that it's worth $160 when there are $90-$100 PSU's that will offer 95% the level of performance. It's definitely a luxury item at best. I love my H60, but it's not exactly reasonable all the time, and I'm a bit afraid to move it unless I have to. I would never go higher than an H60 though, if I wanted a double slot rad I would just build a loop. Granted it cost a ton, if you're going to commit that much real estate to a liquid cooling solution you might as well go big.

Reddit loves AMD CPU's the same was NeoGAF seems to love Intel CPU's lol. When the FX Series was first announced and stuff was leaking they were crapping all over Intel buyers about how the FX-8xxx series was going to destroy Intel's quad-cores by offering an 8-core CPU for the price of an Intel Quad-Core. Then when it launched and all sites showed lower IPC than even Phenom II X4/6's they just assumed tech sites were using benchmarks that were dishonest. Then it was a problem with Windows 7 and you had to test it on Windows 8. Then it was that Bulldozer was just a first stab and multi-threading was going to take off in the next year or so anyway. Excuses excuses. Honestly, the way I see it, Intel offerings are better for gaming, AMD are better for general use or when threading is high (at least the FX-8xxx and FX-6xxx CPU's).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom