• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2UFNv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2UFNv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2UFNv/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.95 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£133.05 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£92.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£252.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor (£269.09 @ Scan.co.uk)
Other: Crucial BLT2CP4G3D1869DT1TX0CEU Tactical 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3-1866 PC3-14900 Memory Module (£59.99)
Total: £1003.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-17 07:32 GMT+0000)

Is it worth he extra quid to get an i7? I don't mind paying a bit more tbh if it'll be worth it.

I've chosen the VG248QE for now due to the low response time compared to the other monitors in the 120.144 range.

kharma45

Reddit loves AMD CPU's the same was NeoGAF seems to love Intel CPU's lol. When the FX Series was first announced and stuff was leaking they were crapping all over Intel buyers about how the FX-8xxx series was going to destroy Intel's quad-cores by offering an 8-core CPU for the price of an Intel Quad-Core. Then when it launched and all sites showed lower IPC than even Phenom II X4/6's they just assumed tech sites were using benchmarks that were dishonest. Then it was a problem with Windows 7 and you had to test it on Windows 8. Then it was that Bulldozer was just a first stab and multi-threading was going to take off in the next year or so anyway. Excuses excuses. Honestly, the way I see it, Intel offerings are better for gaming, AMD are better for general use or when threading is high (at least the FX-8xxx and FX-6xxx CPU's).

I wouldn't say anyone here loves Intel. They're not moving CPU performance on and they dealt AMD huge financial blows with their underhand dealings. They are however the best chips for most people who come to us.

I'd strongly disagree on AMD being better for general use. They're not. Highly threaded workloads yes but they're few and far between.

Reddit loves AMD CPU's the same was NeoGAF seems to love Intel CPU's lol. When the FX Series was first announced and stuff was leaking they were crapping all over Intel buyers about how the FX-8xxx series was going to destroy Intel's quad-cores by offering an 8-core CPU for the price of an Intel Quad-Core. Then when it launched and all sites showed lower IPC than even Phenom II X4/6's they just assumed tech sites were using benchmarks that were dishonest. Then it was a problem with Windows 7 and you had to test it on Windows 8. Then it was that Bulldozer was just a first stab and multi-threading was going to take off in the next year or so anyway. Excuses excuses. Honestly, the way I see it, Intel offerings are better for gaming, AMD are better for general use or when threading is high (at least the FX-8xxx and FX-6xxx CPU's).

AMD offerings aren't better for general use.

For office work you would be fine with dual core pentium, so when power isn't needed then intel still outperforms AMD with efficiency.

If you aren't using some heavily multitasking tasks then there's no point to amd.

AMD offerings aren't better for general use.

Maybe not entirely general use, but if it were a super low end machine I would take an APU over an i3 in most situations, at least until Iris Pro level iGPU's become standard in Intel CPU's. Offers a decent amount of CPU performance and a decent amount of GPU performance for a well balanced system.

Thanks. I have no idea of PC hardware. I want some tipps what to get and what is best for my money :)

At least answer the questions in the OP, there are also some builds there as a starting point, but since you talk about euros there may be better prices in whatever region you are.

H4r4kiri

At least answer the questions in the OP, there are also some builds there as a starting point, but since you talk about euros there may be better prices in whatever region you are.

Ohh yes i am sorry. So here are my Questions answered.

Your Current Specs:Because I just own a Laptop and want to build a new Pc this is nit importnant

Budget: Up to 850 Euro. I live in Germany

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 4, Gaming 5 , Emulation (PS2/Wii)1 , Video Editing 0 , Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program) 1 , General Usage 5 (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Monitor Resolution: For my new PC and just gonna buy a new Monitor.. But first i want to plug it to my Sony Bravia Hx750

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:I think games at constant 60 fps and full HD would be cool with some AA

Looking to reuse any parts?:No nothing

When will you build?:I am not in a rush. I can wait longer. Still got an PS4

Will you be overclocking?:Beacause i have no idea about that stuff I would say no

Pachimari

Got the network card, SSD and motherboard in today, so now my plan looks like this:

Other stuff to get this year

- Sennheiser 363D
- FullHD 1080p HDTV

------------------------------------​

- SteelSeries Rival

- Metro Vacuum ED500 cleaner
- Arctic Cooling Accelero Mono PLUS

- Wii Wireless Sensor Bar
- Oculus Rift CV1
- Artisan Shiden L
- Corsair M95
- Asus Blu-ray writer

- 4TB WD SE hard drive
- Corsair Hydro H60
- Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q / Asus VG248QE

I don't understand how I'm supposed to insert the network card, if that just goes somewhere on the motherboard and out the back of the Fractal R4 case?

Dave_6

I got my 3570K up to 4.4 @ 1.16 volts. Is that pretty good? I tried to get 4.5 but had the voltage up to 1.19 and core #1 failed after 9 minutes in OCCT. That one core runs up to 10 degrees hotter than the others.

Got the network card, SSD and motherboard in today, so now my plan looks like this:

I don't understand how I'm supposed to insert the network card, if that just goes somewhere on the motherboard and out the back of the Fractal R4 case?

There are multiple PCIe slots on your motherboard. You can connect your network card on one of them. They are also the ones where you put in your graphics card.

And then it comes out of the back of the case yes.

I got my 3570K up to 4.4 @ 1.16 volts. Is that pretty good? I tried to get 4.5 but had the voltage up to 1.19 and core #1 failed after 9 minutes in OCCT. That one core runs up to 10 degrees hotter than the others.
I would say 1.16V is pretty good, at least relative to my 3570K. I thought I read in this thread's predecessor that max temps were more important than the voltage, at least for Ivy Bridge. I run 4.6 @ 1.25-1.26V with a simple Hyper 212 cooler and have had no stability issues; the highest temps I've ever seen while gaming was 62 C. Before that I was at 4.5 @ 1.22V for over a year without any problems. I'm sure if I stressed it under OCCT/Prime95 there would be a good chance it would fail a 24h test, but I personally don't care. I built this (first PC, thanks to this thread) soley for gaming and gaming only, so that's my stress test.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a couple of old work laptops that IT have ripped the HDDs out and let me keep, but I'm looking at the price of putting a new HDD in and buying windows 8, and its like £150 per laptop. Considering one is a celeron and one an i5-540m (fairly old), am I better off just buying a cheap new laptop to get a proper warranty etc?

I'd prefer not to put linux on, as I have MS office I'd want to put on them for my kid's schoolwork.

appaws

Banned

Sounds pretty good. What about temps?

I have had mine at 4.4 using offset for a long time now. I think 4.4/4.5 is what most people get for the Ivies. We don't see the same top end as we saw with Sandy.

Pachimari

There are multiple PCIe slots on your motherboard. You can connect your network card on one of them. They are also the ones where you put in your graphics card.

And then it comes out of the back of the case yes.

Oh I see them now, also there's a nice description in the manual. Thanks. :)

I wonder, is it possible to get a 3D Blu-ray player drive for PC? Because I see I can get Blu-ray player/burners which is also handy if I want to store some of my HD tv channel recordings but it would also be nice if it could play my 3D Bluray movies.

Dave_6

Sounds pretty good. What about temps?

I have had mine at 4.4 using offset for a long time now. I think 4.4/4.5 is what most people get for the Ivies. We don't see the same top end as we saw with Sandy.

Max temp when running OCCT was 72 degrees on core 1. Next highest core was around 65. Core 1 hit 75 when I tried 4.5 @ 1.19V but failed after 9 minutes. Not sure if it was temp related or it needed more volts. I have no idea what the highest I'm hitting is while gaming though. Guess I need to download Realtemp.

grkazan12

Hey guys, is there a huge technical difference between the Logitech G400 and the G400s?

I heard that the G400s might be technically better than G400, but I vastly prefer the subtle design of the G400. The design on the S is ok, but I wish they went with a solid color that wasn't too flashy, also at least there's no LEDs. I'm upgrading from the MX518.

Help! My mobo isnt posting at all. Every time I turn it on, the PC powers on but the motherboard doesn't post or beep, it just keeps resetting itself. I've tried clearing the CMOS, tried switching bios, removed all the components and it still does the same thing. Any help? I'm using the MSI Mpower z77

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nearing 8 months of every day use. Keep a clean and dust free PC guys!

JypACy0l.jpg

I was planning on doing a re-build with Haswell-E and Maxwell, but I'm not sure. This rig has been so bulletproof, so I think I might stay with it.

Nice pic! You've come so far....*sniff sniff* My baby's all grown up :')

Water

Sadly don't have a huge budget but any recommendation for monitors in the £100-130 price range?
Both of the displays you linked have TN panels. On 144Hz displays TN is the only choice; otherwise avoid it. You want to see IPS, VA or some derivative. Also, if viewing angle is indicated as 160-170 degrees, it's TN; non-TN displays have almost 180 degree viewing angles.

I'm not familiar with the UK market and didn't look very hard, and better prices are probably out there, but at least some IPS displays are available around £130:
HP 23xi
LG 23EA63V
Same place had a HP 22xi for £120.
The HPs at least are good (apart from lacking ergonomic adjustments a pricier display would have). 23xi is known to have quite low input lag.

You could consider buying used as well. Displays are typically long-lived, and many of them have long warranties that make them largely risk-free to buy used.

mkenyon

Banned
Water, keep in mind a lot of people are sensitive to poor motion resolution. It's not just about color and viewing angles. IPS panels almost always have much worse motion resolution than a TN counterpart. Oftentimes increased input lag as well.
Overpriced case and video card, which decreases the total savings. Decent part choices though.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
I had a pc built in October, I feel I've made a big mistake with some if the components but not sure what to change to start playing games at 60fps, I'm getting sick of frame rate drops.

Asrock 990 fx extreme 3 motherboard
Amd 8350 fx 8 core @ 4 ghz
32 gb ram
Gtx titan 6gb
Display 1920 x 1080p
Playing on windows 7 ultimate

Game performance;

Ac4
a lot of drops in frame rates (40-45) with environmental effects on medium or above. Fps stay at 40 ish in populated areas with the lowest res and all settings off or low.

Tomb raider - will play at 60fps for most parts but there are areas it'll drop to 40s, level of detail option and shadows have to be turned to medium or low to get constant 60fps so far.

Bioshock infinite - had to change the config file to keep the game mostly at 60fps but there are still isolated spots where it drops to 40s, again shadows and details have to be turned to medium or low in those areas.

Borderlands 2 - this was running brilliant at 60fps until I got to the area dlc bit, I could not get the game to run at 60fps in these spots even on lowest setting or resolution.

Need for speed rivals - using the 60fps fix the game will at 60fps until I get to built up areas and then it goes as low as 35fps even after turning all graphical features off or to low.

All games have the latest patch and I have the latest gpu driver. I'm guessing its the CPU but any suggestions welcome.

mkenyon

Banned
The 8350 is going to give you frame drops, it's not a gaming processor.

The Titan giving you otherwise really high framerates probably highlights those drops a lot more.

Bioshock Infinite is on UE3 if I'm not mistaken, which is very CPU demanding. Borderlands 2 as well.

Water

Water, keep in mind a lot of people are sensitive to poor motion resolution. It's not just about color and viewing angles. IPS panels almost always have much worse motion resolution than a TN counterpart. Oftentimes increased input lag as well.
I don't think the motion resolution difference between a TN panel and a non-TN panel is going to be significant or even noticeable for the majority of people. Someone sensitive enough that it would be significant for them should, rather than choose the 60Hz TN, try hard to put together the budget for a higher framerate + strobing backlight display which will be in a different realm altogether.

And some non-TNs (like the 23xi I specifically linked) have low enough input lag that it doesn't matter either.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
The 8350 is going to give you frame drops, it's not a gaming processor.

The Titan giving you otherwise really high framerates probably highlights those drops a lot more.

Bioshock Infinite is on UE3 if I'm not mistaken, which is very CPU demanding. Borderlands 2 as well.

Thanks for a quick response,
Borderlands 2 seems to perform best out of them apart from one area but anyway the intel i7 3770k is 3.5ghz will that do the trick? I also have doubts about the titan but. Hope that's not the issue.

Both of the displays you linked have TN panels. On 144Hz displays TN is the only choice; otherwise avoid it. You want to see IPS, VA or some derivative. Also, if viewing angle is indicated as 160-170 degrees, it's TN; non-TN displays have almost 180 degree viewing angles.

I'm not familiar with the UK market and didn't look very hard, and better prices are probably out there, but at least some IPS displays are available around £130:
HP 23xi
LG 23EA63V
Same place had a HP 22xi for £120.
The HPs at least are good (apart from lacking ergonomic adjustments a pricier display would have). 23xi is known to have quite low input lag.

You could consider buying used as well. Displays are typically long-lived, and many of them have long warranties that make them largely risk-free to buy used.

Much appreciated! Will have a dig about and have a look at those and see what I can find.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't think the motion resolution difference between a TN panel and a non-TN panel is going to be significant or even noticeable for the majority of people. Someone sensitive enough that it would be significant for them should, rather than choose the 60Hz TN, try hard to put together the budget for a higher framerate + strobing backlight display which will be in a different realm altogether.

And some non-TNs (like the 23xi I specifically linked) have low enough input lag that it doesn't matter either.
IMO, it's like this:

Competitive multiplayer games - TN, preferably 120/144Hz/GSync (for ULMB)

Singleplayer games - IPS, preferably 1440p.

I've used a lot of IPS panels, and compared to a good TN panel, the blur seems like a 1:1 trade off with the color. But I value motion resolution quite a bit since 90% of my gaming time is in competitive multiplayer stuff.
Borderlands 2 seems to perform best out of them apart from one area but anyway the intel i7 3770k is 3.5ghz will that do the trick? I also have doubts about the titan but. Hope that's not the issue.
You could go for a 3570K w/ Z77 motherboard if you're not doing much other than gaming with it. Also a 4670K w/ Z87 motherboard, like in the OP. The i7 vs. i5 on intel is just multithreading, which benefits multimedia creation, but not gaming.

riflen

Get informed about how your hardware is performing; install MSI Afterburner and enable the OSD functionality. You will be able to clearly see if a component or components are causing a bottleneck in these games. There are several tutorials on youtube if you have trouble configuring the software.

mkenyon

Banned
That's not really the case. CPU vs. GPU utilization does not really give a good idea as to what is bottlenecking, as it can be on both the CPU and GPU at the same time. It's inductive reasoning to use that as a basis.

The only way to truly figure it out is to mess with the variables and run frame latency benchmarks to see the results.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Hey guys, is there a huge technical difference between the Logitech G400 and the G400s?

I heard that the G400s might be technically better than G400, but I vastly prefer the subtle design of the G400. The design on the S is ok, but I wish they went with a solid color that wasn't too flashy, also at least there's no LEDs. I'm upgrading from the MX518.

I really don't want an G400 or G400s anymore, as the wire is shit, and I'm going through my 3rd. S has a slightly higher dpi and I don't think it has any prediction problem early G400 use to have.

Stick to a G400 if you're concerned about quality control issues or don't like the form of the G400s.

Make sure you get a warranty plan cause both mice have gone sour whereas my friends still have my old MX518 and 510 that still work great.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
You could go for a 3570K w/ Z77 motherboard if you're not doing much other than gaming with it. Also a 4670K w/ Z87 motherboard, like in the OP. The i7 vs. i5 on intel is just multithreading, which benefits multimedia creation, but not gaming.

Here's where I sound extra dumb, so do I need to change my motherboard If I go for the 4670k or the 4770k processor?

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Get informed about how your hardware is performing; install MSI Afterburner and enable the OSD functionality. You will be able to clearly see if a component or components are causing a bottleneck in these games. There are several tutorials on youtube if you have trouble configuring the software.

I have been running msi afterburner, it's always running. Can't really see much being utilised when I getting poor performance.

For ac4 I have turned every graphical setting and resolution to the lowest, hardly any CPU or gpu is being used but the frame rate is still in their 40's in populated areas where there's a lot on screen. Checked all cores and none go above 50%

Dawg

Nearing 8 months of every day use. Keep a clean and dust free PC guys!

JypACy0l.jpg

I was planning on doing a re-build with Haswell-E and Maxwell, but I'm not sure. This rig has been so bulletproof, so I think I might stay with it.

My interior takes months to get even remotely dusty. Exterior though... let's just say I have to vacuum that shizzle at least once or twice every week :p

riflen

That's not really the case. CPU vs. GPU utilization does not really give a good idea as to what is bottlenecking, as it can be on both the CPU and GPU at the same time. It's inductive reasoning to use that as a basis.

The only way to truly figure it out is to mess with the variables and run frame latency benchmarks to see the results.

Yes, it could be that both components are causing issues. I don't really see that as cause to not even use the tool at all. From his post, it's very likely that CPU is his problem and I would imagine utilisation will show that. He's unlikely to be able to do the frame-time analysis that you describe and at least this way he'll have some clue what's going on, rather than blindly buying hardware on someone's say-so alone.

mkenyon

Banned
Here's where I sound extra dumb, so do I need to change my motherboard If I go for the 4670k or the 4770k processor?
Yup.
Yes, it could be that both components are causing issues. I don't really see that as cause to not even use the tool at all. From his post, it's very likely that CPU is his problem and I would imagine utilisation will show that. He's unlikely to be able to do the frame-time analysis that you describe and at least this way he'll have some clue what's going on, rather than blindly buying hardware on someone's say-so alone.
Using data that is inconclusive and inaccurate to determine consumer purchases is less reliable than people who understand the hardware, can read someone's anecdote, and get a good idea of what the issue is.

I get what you're saying, but people can draw some pretty wrong conclusions from utilization data. I constantly deride even using FPS data to determine performance, and this is a few steps below that.

Pachimari

Case Fractal R4 (received)

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H (received)

Power Supply Sea Sonic G Series 550 (received)

Heatsink Corsair H60 (received)

Storage WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB (received)

SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (received)

Optical Drive SATA DVD Burner (received)

Network card TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 (received)

CPU i5 4670K 4C/4T

RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical (16GB)

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780

Other stuff to get this year
- Akasa internal Card Reader
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Xbox 360 Receiver
- Sennheiser 363D
- IR receiver
- 32" Samsung HDTV (for monitor)
- 5.1 speakers

I really gotta ask some things.

01) Do I need a TV tuner card or can I use my EyeTV USB dongle to watch and record tv on my PC?

02) Will this Intel Core i7 work with my setup?

03) Can I use this Akasa internal card reader for my computer?

04) Can I play my 3D Bluray movies if I add a Blu-ray player or burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom