• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hexcore doesn't really have an advantage on single threaded applications though does it?

Ugh now I'm thinking I'm wasting my money. How much better is Skylake supposed to be?

1. That's correct.
2. Maybe 10-15% faster than Devil's Canyon, typical fare I think.

About the upgrade, it's just my opinion, others may feel differently. But yeah, I'd go X99 or just hold off for now. OC your 3770k if you haven't already of course.

Maniac

Banned
Hey lads, is there any kind of handy "all in one" kit with all the tools needed for the majority of assemblies? I'll be doing a lot of builds these next few months and could really do with some proper tools & such. Shout if ya'll have suggestions, preferably ones I'd be able to have shipped to Denmark.

Cheers!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
1. That's correct.
2. Maybe 10-15% faster than Devil's Canyon, typical fare I think.

About the upgrade, it's just my opinion, others may feel differently. But yeah, I'd go X99 or just hold off for now. OC your 3770k if you haven't already of course.

I ordered the case and motherboard already, shit :(

The motherboard I guess would have to be returned with a restocking fee.

Hmm I liked the features of that bios and I couldn't find one for a similar price with x99. I think a comparable featured one was like $250-$300.

Maybe I'll just keep the config I setup. Who knows.

Trojita

n8RDBFS.png
Oh and if it makes a difference, this configuration will cost me $867.72 since I already own the GPU.

The X99 build

will cost around $1138-1188. Give or take switching out the motherboard for a more expensive one.

kennah

Hey lads, is there any kind of handy "all in one" kit with all the tools needed for the majority of assemblies? I'll be doing a lot of builds these next few months and could really do with some proper tools & such. Shout if ya'll have suggestions, preferably ones I'd be able to have shipped to Denmark.

Cheers!
A Philips screwdriver.

RGM79

Oh and if it makes a difference, this configuration will cost me $867.72 since I already own the GPU.

The X99 build

will cost around $1138-1188. Give or take switching out the motherboard for a more expensive one.

To make it easier for us to see, you can click on the build sharing icons above to automatically generate text that you can paste into the posting window so we can see prices and have links to all the parts and the build list.

bprAJf7.jpg

As for build suggestions, depending on the costs of each part, I think you could definitely get a cheaper motherboard and 5820K so you can go with the GTX 980 Ti instead of the GTX 970, if the 980 Ti's $650 MSRP turns out to be true.

The X99 build

How much to just upgrade to X99 cpu/mobo/ram in your current system? I mean reusing your current parts.

edit: assuming you get that discount on the 5930k you mentioned.

RGM79

Hi PC Gaf. I'm looking to upgrade from a 660ti to something in the $200-300 range. Is there any card you can recommend for me? I'm not in a rush to upgrade, so I wouldn't mind waiting a few months if some better mid range cards are around the corner.

AMD has their new line of R9 3XX graphics cards coming out in the middle of June, going by the latest rumors, so you might want to wait.

As for current graphics cards and considering best performance, look for a GTX 970. In the past some GTX 970s have sold for as low as $290 after rebates and discounts, currently the lowest priced GTX 970 is the EVGA SSC model for $310 after rebates and discounts. If you'd rather spend less instead of more, then the R9 290 is the better choice for performance as it can be had for as low as $230 after rebate like this Powercolor model, while the even cheaper but not as strong GTX 960 is a better choice for low noise/heat/power.

Do you have certain expectations of the performance you want in a new graphics card? Do you want to hit a certain framerate or want to play at certain settings? The GTX 970 and R9 290 could conceivably hit 30~60 FPS at higher settings, while the GTX 960 would have to play at reduced settings to get the same framerate (and because the 2GB model lacks VRAM for higher settings).

Psxdad

Okay guys so I put my PC together tonight and tried booting it up. Nothing is displaying on the monitor and the computer stays on for about 10 secs or so then resets. I opened up the side panel and the fans and everything are working so it seems like everything getting power. What's going on?

Here's what I built: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Psxdad/saved/9w39TW

longdi

Banned

The X99 build

I will get 5820K instead of 5930K
I will also get the cheaper Crucial Sport 2400-DDR4.
For X99 overclocking, i rather get H110GT or H220X/240X AIO water cooler. I found myself that water cooling works better than top air cooler for that.
Asus X99 Sabretooth is good value and comes with USB3.1.
Asus rep & quality for enthusiast platform has been pretty strong over the last few generation. EVGA not so...
I using Asus without much fuss.

Another pro thing for going X99, you can upgrade to cheap 8 or more cores/Xeons down the road! People on the old X58 platform are snapping up cheap 6 cores 32nm Xeons for $120+ on ebay! Cant do that with mainstream Z platform.

X99 is not much more costly than 4790K build in the end imo.

Trojita

To make it easier for us to see, you can click on the build sharing icons above to automatically generate text that you can paste into the posting window so we can see prices and have links to all the parts and the build list.

bprAJf7.jpg

As for build suggestions, depending on the costs of each part, I think you could definitely get a cheaper motherboard and 5820K so you can go with the GTX 980 Ti instead of the GTX 970, if the 980 Ti's $650 MSRP turns out to be true.

4970K Build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($100.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.00)
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($199.99)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $99.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($101.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Wired Laser Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD700 Headphones (Purchased For $0.00)
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 120W 2.1ch Speakers (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $867.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

5930K Build

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($200.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: EVGA FTW EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($258.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($101.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1138.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 00:06 EDT-0400
How much to just upgrade to X99 cpu/mobo/ram in your current system? I mean reusing your current parts.

edit: assuming you get that discount on the 5930k you mentioned.

I could have gone without getting the new SSD and Case, but I really want to try a new case. I might have gotten the Corsair 800D if it was still available. That 900D is expensive and FUCKING HUGE. While the R4 has been great for the price purchased at and the sound levels it achieves, I really want to try out a new case.
I will get 5820K instead of 5930K
I will also get the cheaper Crucial Sport 2400-DDR4.
For X99 overclocking, i rather get H110GT or H220X/240X AIO water cooler. I found myself that water cooling works better than top air cooler for that.
Asus X99 Sabretooth is good value and comes with USB3.1.
Asus rep for enthusiast has been pretty strong over the last few generation. EVGA not so...
X99 is not much more costly than 4790K build in the end.

Another pro thing for going X99, you can upgrade to cheap 8 or more cores/Xeons down the road! People on the old X58 platform are snapping up cheap 6 cores 32nm Xeons for $120+ on ebay! Cant do that with mainstream Z platform.

The deal I have is only open for the 4790K or 5930K.

I was thinking of getting a Swiftech 240 and getting some EK GPU coolers, but I wonder if I'd just end up worrying about leaks.

Also I'm conflicted with Asus. Their support seems to be really bad especially when it comes to warranty replacements.

Alright, another theoretical question, sorry for all these:

How do I know what speed RAM my system can support? No matter what Intel processor I look up (in this case it's the i7-4790K) Intel's official site lists only 1333 and 1600, while it seems like motherboards and RAM itself goes up to like 2133 and beyond. In this case, is it just important to match up what the RAM can do with what the motherboard can support, or is there really a CPU limitation going on?

Garfias

Neo Member
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I might as well wait for the R9 3XX cards. I'm really just looking to play AAA games on mid to high settings for the next two years. Hitting 60 frames isn't a big deal for me, but I do like when my games look pretty.

Kudo

Need opinions, mainly for everyday use and gaming, I want the computer to last long:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3,3 GHz LGA2011-3
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S
Motherboard: Asus X99-A
Memory: Crucial Desktop Memory DDR4 2133 MHz 16 Gt (4 x 4 Gt)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 4 TB 64 MB 5900 RPM
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Case: Antec P280
Power Supply: EVGA 750W Supernova 750 G2

I read from Backblaze that the 4 TB Barracuda should be fine with only 3% failure rate, GTX 770 is from friend and should be good enough for my use.

yami4ct

Ok, after another day of troubleshooting this boot issue (so annoying since I have to wait 8 hours to see if my next thing fixed it), I think I need to try and replace my PSU. What's a decent price/performance ratio PSU? I'm thinking ~750w to give me a bit of extra head room to use it in later builds.

Current build:
EVGA 970 SSC
8GB G-Skill DDR3
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
1 TB Western Digital normal HDD

I'd prefer no LED in this PSU. If it has to have one, orange is needed to go with my color scheme. Dumb specification, but I know it'll drive me nuts if I don't follow it.

The best/worst thing about this issue, others have had it. The problem? For some it was a PSU issue and others it was MOBO. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2564446/asus-z97-day-post-boot.html

Ugh. This is perhaps the worst computer issue I've ever troubleshooted.

I got a Samsung 850 EVO a while back, and it's been great so far except for one minor issue. Every once in a while, the Samsung Magician software will crash, causing my whole computer to bog down severely for a few moments. Like the screen freezes, everything is unusable. It bounces back pretty quickly, but this often happens when I'm in the middle of a game and causes me to miss stuff.

Anyone had this problem? Is there anything I can do to look into this and see what's causing it?

longdi

Banned
The deal I have is only open for the 4790K or 5930K.

I was thinking of getting a Swiftech 240 and getting some EK GPU coolers, but I wonder if I'd just end up worrying about leaks.

Also I'm conflicted with Asus. Their support seems to be really bad especially when it comes to warranty replacements.

Its a pity as 5820K is of much better value.

The H240X would not have problem with leaks if you are not taking it apart. As for water cooling GPU, perhaps the new AMD Fury or EVGA TitanXhybrid, those come with AIO. Custom water cooling is cool, but you need to spend lots of time to get it running. Data have shown a simple 120mm AIO works great for GPU.

Asus may have flakey after support, but many (including me) can attest their enthusiastic boards work great out of the box. The X99 Sabretooth is of extremely good value now and comes with all bells and whistles.

Crucial Sports Quad channel DDR4, some time they go for cheaps. You would like quad channel to utilize the >50GB/s bandwidth X99 CPU offers.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MTSWMVQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kudo

I got a Samsung 850 EVO a while back, and it's been great so far except for one minor issue. Every once in a while, the Samsung Magician software will crash, causing my whole computer to bog down severely for a few moments. Like the screen freezes, everything is unusable. It bounces back pretty quickly, but this often happens when I'm in the middle of a game and causes me to miss stuff.

Anyone had this problem? Is there anything I can do to look into this and see what's causing it?

Do you need to have the software running all the time? Currently thinking of getting the same SSD so I'm interested, have you tried:
1.) Uninstall Samsung Magician again.
2.) After that is complete delete the Samsung folder that is in the C:/Program Files (x86) folder.
3.) Reboot system
4.) Reinstall Samsung Magician

Its a pity as 5820K is of much better value.

The H240X would not have problem with leaks if you are not taking it apart. As for water cooling GPU, perhaps the new AMD Fury or EVGA TitanXhybrid, those come with AIO. Custom water cooling is cool, but you need to spend lots of time to get it running. Data have shown a simple 120mm AIO works great for GPU.

Asus may have flakey after support, but many (including me) can attest their enthusiastic boards work great out of the box. The X99 Sabretooth is of extremely good value now and comes with all bells and whistles.

Crucial Sports Quad channel DDR4, some time they go for cheaps. You would like quad channel to utilize the >50GB/s bandwidth X99 CPU offers.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MTSWMVQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The 5820's not a better value if you have a hook-up for a $200 5930. :p

Link Man

Banned
So, a quick question with regards to GPU.

EVGA is selling a GTX 960 4 GB for $229. They also have a factory overclocked version of the same card for $10 more. I don't have much experience with overclocking, would I be able to safely and easily overclock the cheaper card to the same specs, or would it be better to spend the $10 to let the experts handle it?

Edit: Now that I look at it, the more expensive one also has two fans, which would be better for cooling. Nevermind.

vocab

The program sucks. Id uninstall it. It gave me problems where games wouldn't even launch and straight minimize them.

Also Microsoft WEI can also do this as well. I had to completely disable this because it screwed me countless times in cs.

yami4ct

Screw it, I'm RMAing this board. It has to be a faulty board. It has to be. The no-power light and the fact it works on simulating a cold boot is too weird an issue for a PSU problem.

The program sucks. Id uninstall it. It gave me problems where games wouldn't even launch and straight minimize them.

Also Microsoft WEI can also do this as well. I had to completely disable this because it screwed me countless times in cs.

The only thing good about it is it can alert you to BIOS upgrades, but it's not worth keeping the program just for that.

Oh, okay. I assumed it was something that I should have running all the time. If this is the simplest solution I'll just do this. Thanks!

comrade

Google your cpu + "overclock guide". Take 30 minutes and read one of the dozens of guides. Save yourself a few hundred bucks by utilizing an unlocked processor that's still plenty powerful.

TUSR

Banned
[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: Laptop
Budget: 1200 + Canada
Main Use: 4-5 (Solidworks, streaming, gaming, emulation)
Monitor Resolution: 2x 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Id prefer to run 60fps on most games. Im not looking to run The Witcher 3 on Ultra and super sampled.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't have any.
When will you build?: No deadline, at my leisure.
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.95 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($174.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.75 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($249.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1121.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 04:58 EDT-0400

Could anyone give me some feedback on this?
(I haven't built a PC since the 9800pro was the go to card.)

Psykotik

hey guys, hoping to get some advice.

i have a dell xps 8700. current specs are:

21:9 dell u3415w monitor
intel i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60Ghz
nvidia gtx 745
12 gb ram
240 kingston ssd
1tb hdd
dvd rw drive
460w psu

everything is pretty much stock from the store and i fully realize that this is a pretty shit gaming system (building one from scratch is better, cheaper etc etc).

nevertheless, i'm thinking of upgrading to a gtx 970.

i've done some research and the card does fit into the casing and my existing psu SHOULD be able to power it (it cuts really close to the recommended 500w psu though)

i've asked a local pc store place what psu i would need to run a 970 and they recommended anything above a 650w psu. the higher the better.

but i've read on the dell support forums that the 460w psu can power a 970 though.

my preference is just to get the 970 without having to buy a new psu. i realize that it's always better to get a bigger psu but the question is, is it advisable to run a 970 on a 460w psu? would removing the dvd drive help at all? (to cut down on power usage. i barely use it). i dont plan to overclock the gpu.

appreciate any advice.

Vance

Banned
I am looking at upgrading my motherboard and I was hoping for some advice. I would like to start to do some overclocking and wanted a motherboard more suited for that and gaming. Currently I have:

CPU: i5 4670K
Motherboard: ASUS Z87 A
Memory: 16GB RipjawsX Series 8GB PC3-17000
Videocard: MSI GTX 970 Golden

I was looking at something like the GA-Z97X Gaming 5 which seems decent and is under $200. I really like the GA-Z97X-SOC for the colours alone but it may be more motherboard then I will use? Thanks.

One more question, I received a ASUS Vulcan Pro headset as a gift. It comes with an external amp and I plug it in threw USB. With a headset like that does the audio on the Motherboard matter?

RGM79

[Basic Desktop Questions]

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.95 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($174.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.75 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($249.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($93.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1160.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 04:17 EDT-0400

Could anyone give me some feedback on this?
(I haven't built a PC since the 9800pro was the go to card.)

Your build is very solid, but I do have some suggestions.

You can cut back on the cost of the motherboard without losing any performance, just extra features you may need or use. The Asus Z97-E is at a low price right now and isn't that much worse than the Z97-A you were looking at. You can see the differences in terms of hardware specs here. In other words, the Z97-E costs less but should be more than adequate for your needs.

Your budget allows for 16GB of RAM. It's still OK to go with 8GB, but 16GB gives you more breathing room. Some games are starting to gradually require more and more RAM, e.g., people in the GTAV PC performance thread are reporting that 8GB seems to be the minimally acceptable amount of RAM. People who have 8GB of RAM but have disabled the page file run into errors after a few hours of gameplay due to RAM usage. I found 16GB of G.Skill 1866MHz RAM for $103, a pretty good deal but only available for limited time and quantities.

The Samsung 850 Evo is a good SSD, but if you want to save some money, the excellent budget-minded Crucial BX100 is available for $78 for the same capacity. You may want to consider going with a 240~256GB SSD, 120~128GB is a bit limited but still usable.

Seagate hasn't been very good lately when it comes to hard drive failure rates, according to studies from Backblaze. I should say that the 2TB model in question isn't listed there, that their higher capacity drives seem to have good failure rates, and they do not have equal numbers of drives from different models and brands for more properly controlled sampling and test results, and that their usage cases and weardown are nothing like that of consumer users, but I would personally go with Toshiba for just a few dollars more. Their 2TB 7200RPM model costs $88.

I would advise against pairing the 212 Evo cooler and the Corsair Spec-02 case. It doesn't seem to be clear whether the cooler will fit into the case. Going by the measurements the 212 Evo is 159mm tall and may not fit as the Spec-02 only fits coolers up to 157mm according to the website, but some unconfirmed forum posts report that it just barely does fit. Either way, it's not worth gambling on the risk. The Corsair 200R is the same price as the Spec-02, so I substituted that in. The 200R will definitely fit the 212 Evo heatsink, Corsair advertises it as fitting CPU heatsinks up to 165mm height. The

As for the Seasonic power supply, it's a good brand but that model is very expensive. I recommend the EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt model ($70 after $30 rebate) instead, it is a relatively high quality semi-modular unit manufactured by Super Flower, a PSU manufacturer on the same level of quality as Seasonic. Alternatively there's the EVGA Supernova GS 650 watt model ($85 after $20 rebate), that unit is very good as it is fully modular with flat cables and manufactured by Seasonic.

Do you really need a DVD drive? If not, that's another $20 you can knock off the cost of the computer. USB drives and digital distribution have basically replaced most needs for DVD drives. If you are thinking about installing Windows, I should say that Windows can be installed from USB drive with the use of official Microsoft tools and it is actually faster than reading from a disc.

Lastly, the graphics card. The GTX 960 can handle 60FPS, but it'll do it on reduced settings. What settings are possible will vary by what game you're looking at, but if we were to take the Witcher 3 as an example, then according to Techspot's benchmarking and Eurogamer's Digital Foundry article, the GTX 960 is capable of around ~50FPS on medium graphics settings. If you want 60FPS at higher quality settings, look at the R9 290 or GTX 970 instead, but those will bring up the cost of the build again.

If you want to stick with the GTX 960, then I recommend the EVGA SSC model ($240). There's nothing to hate about the Asus Strix, but the EVGA option costs $20 less without needing a rebate, and is clocked slightly faster out of the box (1.28GHz vs 1.23GHz).

Overall, your build with my suggestions looks like this:

Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($102.88 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.95 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1057.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 05:09 EDT-0400

That's about $100 savings with virtually no drop in performance.

RGM79

Putting this in a separate post because the first one was too long.

hey guys, hoping to get some advice.

i have a dell xps 8700. current specs are:

21:9 dell u3415w monitor
intel i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60Ghz
nvidia gtx 745
12 gb ram
240 kingston ssd
1tb hdd
dvd rw drive
460w psu

everything is pretty much stock from the store and i fully realize that this is a pretty shit gaming system (building one from scratch is better, cheaper etc etc).

nevertheless, i'm thinking of upgrading to a gtx 970.

i've done some research and the card does fit into the casing and my existing psu SHOULD be able to power it (it cuts really close to the recommended 500w psu though)

i've asked a local pc store place what psu i would need to run a 970 and they recommended anything above a 650w psu. the higher the better.

but i've read on the dell support forums that the 460w psu can power a 970 though.

my preference is just to get the 970 without having to buy a new psu. i realize that it's always better to get a bigger psu but the question is, is it advisable to run a 970 on a 460w psu? would removing the dvd drive help at all? (to cut down on power usage. i barely use it). i dont plan to overclock the gpu.

appreciate any advice.

It's possible, but sorta iffy. A GTX 970 will draw somewhere under 200 watts by itself, and your i7 4790 processor should draw a bit more than 100 watts. Then chalk up another 50~75 watts or so for the motherboard and other parts like hard drives, fans, etc. The issue is that prebuilt PCs come with barely acceptable power supplies that might not actually supply that much wattage on the 12V rail, which is the most important one that feeds the processor and graphics card and a lot of other parts. Some low end power supplies add the wattages of the other 3.3V and 5V rails to the 12V rail and pass that off as a misleading "total wattage", like this crap "400 watt" power supply that only delivers 216 watts on the 12V rail. Ideally a good power supply should be able to provide more than that through the 12V rail like this 650 watt Super Flower model that provides 649 watts on the 12V rail, not even counting the 3.3V and 5V rails.

If what the people are saying in this link about the XPS 8700 power supply are correct, then it is only capable of about 380 watts on the 12V rail, which is just barely more than what you would need to run your system with a GTX 970, but it is way too close for comfort and you risk system instability or even damage if the PSU blows out because it can't handle running near 100% capacity for extended periods.

If you can provide a picture of the information label on the power supply in your Dell PC showing us the wattage, it will help us check if your PSU is actually capable of 460 watts on the 12V rail. If it is then you could go without a power supply upgrade, but all the same I think it's best if you got a new power supply.

I am looking at upgrading my motherboard and I was hoping for some advice. I would like to start to do some overclocking and wanted a motherboard more suited for that and gaming. Currently I have:

Memory: 16GB RipjawsX Series 8GB PC3-17000

I was looking at something like the GA-Z97X Gaming 5 which seems decent and is under $200. I really like the GA-Z97X-SOC for the colours alone but it may be more motherboard then I will use? Thanks.

One more question, I received a ASUS Vulcan Pro headset as a gift. It comes with an external amp and I plug it in threw USB. With a headset like that does the audio on the Motherboard matter?

The Asus Z87-A should already be fairly suitable for overclocking. Is there any other reason you want to upgrade? Both Bit-Tech and HardOCP were able to achieve 4.6GHz overclocks on their review samples with an i7 4770K which is quite good. Most power users don't need to overclock more than than, any further than that and you get diminishing returns. The processor will run much hotter and the system will be more unstable and prone to crashing without adequate cooling.

Here's a handy link with a lot of useful information for overclocking your 4670K. You can see in the results spreadsheet that the majority of people in that thread aimed for a 4.4~4.7GHz overclock.

I sort of doubt you'll need to overclock beyond 4.5GHz in the first place, so paying up to $200 for a new motherboard won't really be worth the increase in performance. What CPU cooler do you have, by the way? You'll need a decent aftermarket model if you're still using the stock Intel "hockey puck" CPU cooler. Your money would be better spent on that or maybe extra cooling fans than a new motherboard.

If you are plugging in the headphones via USB, then it is bypassing your motherboard's onboard audio and not using it. The headset has it's own audio chipset that it is using instead of the motherboard's audio.

Vance

Banned
The Asus Z87-A should already be very suitable for overclocking. Is there any other reason you want to upgrade? Both Bit-Tech and HardOCP were able to achieve 4.6GHz overclocks on their review samples with an i7 4770K which is quite good.

I sort of doubt you'll need to overclock beyond 4.5GHz in the first place, so paying up to $200 for a new motherboard won't really be worth it for the CPU boost. What CPU cooler do you have, by the way? You'll need a decent aftermarket model if you're still using the stock Intel "hockey puck" CPU cooler.

I am currently using the Hyper 212 EVO. I thought of upgrading to something like the Hydro Series H110i GT but that would be for looks really. From what you have told me upgrading my motherboard wouldn't do much for me except a different look I might be going for. Thank you very much for the help.

TUSR

Banned
Your build is very solid, but I do have some suggestions.

You can cut back on the cost of the motherboard without losing any performance, just extra features you may need or use. The Asus Z97-E is at a low price right now and isn't that much worse than the Z97-A you were looking at. You can see the differences in terms of hardware specs here. In other words, the Z97-E costs less but should be more than adequate for your needs.

Your budget allows for 16GB of RAM. It's still OK to go with 8GB, but 16GB gives you more breathing room. Some games are starting to gradually require more and more RAM, e.g., people in the GTAV PC performance thread are reporting that 8GB seems to be the minimally acceptable amount of RAM. People who have 8GB of RAM but have disabled the page file run into errors after a few hours of gameplay due to RAM usage. I found 16GB of G.Skill 1866MHz RAM for $103, a pretty good deal but only available for limited time and quantities.

The Samsung 850 Evo is a good SSD, but if you want to save some money, the excellent budget-minded Crucial BX100 is available for $78 for the same capacity. You may want to consider going with a 240~256GB SSD, 120~128GB is a bit limited but still usable.

Seagate hasn't been very good lately when it comes to hard drive failure rates, according to studies from Backblaze. I should say that the 2TB model in question isn't listed there, that their higher capacity drives seem to have good failure rates, and they do not have equal numbers of drives from different models and brands for more properly controlled sampling and test results, and that their usage cases and weardown are nothing like that of consumer users, but I would personally go with Toshiba for just a few dollars more. Their 2TB 7200RPM model costs $88.

I would advise against pairing the 212 Evo cooler and the Corsair Spec-02 case. It doesn't seem to be clear whether the cooler will fit into the case. Going by the measurements the 212 Evo is 159mm tall and may not fit as the Spec-02 only fits coolers up to 157mm according to the website, but some unconfirmed forum posts report that it just barely does fit. Either way, it's not worth gambling on the risk. The Corsair 200R is the same price as the Spec-02, so I substituted that in. The 200R will definitely fit the 212 Evo heatsink, Corsair advertises it as fitting CPU heatsinks up to 165mm height. The

As for the Seasonic power supply, it's a good brand but that model is very expensive. I recommend the EVGA Supernova B2 750 watt model ($70 after $30 rebate) instead, it is a relatively high quality semi-modular unit manufactured by Super Flower, a PSU manufacturer on the same level of quality as Seasonic. Alternatively there's the EVGA Supernova GS 650 watt model ($85 after $20 rebate), that unit is very good as it is fully modular with flat cables and manufactured by Seasonic.

Do you really need a DVD drive? If not, that's another $20 you can knock off the cost of the computer. USB drives and digital distribution have basically replaced most needs for DVD drives. If you are thinking about installing Windows, I should say that Windows can be installed from USB drive with the use of official Microsoft tools and it is actually faster than reading from a disc.

Lastly, the graphics card. The GTX 960 can handle 60FPS, but it'll do it on reduced settings. What settings are possible will vary by what game you're looking at, but if we were to take the Witcher 3 as an example, then according to Techspot's benchmarking and Eurogamer's Digital Foundry article, the GTX 960 is capable of around ~50FPS on medium graphics settings. If you want 60FPS at higher quality settings, look at the R9 290 or GTX 970 instead, but those will bring up the cost of the build again.

If you want to stick with the GTX 960, then I recommend the EVGA SSC model ($240). There's nothing to hate about the Asus Strix, but the EVGA option costs $20 less without needing a rebate, and is clocked slightly faster out of the box (1.28GHz vs 1.23GHz).

Overall, your build with my suggestions looks like this:

Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($102.88 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX100 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.95 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1057.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 05:09 EDT-0400

That's about $100 savings with virtually no drop in performance.

Okay wow, this is amazing and greatly appreciated.

I keep trying to add the Mobo you selected on NCIX to my cart, and it loads into the page with a reduce price, and then refreshes to a higher one.

With the reduction in cost from your recommendations I might choose pick up a 970 right now, any further recommendations?

Thanks!

edit: Example 970 I found: http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-970-superclocked-10-102481-1115.htm?affiliateid=7474144

Need opinions, mainly for everyday use and gaming, I want the computer to last long:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3,3 GHz LGA2011-3
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S
Motherboard: Asus X99-A
Memory: Crucial Desktop Memory DDR4 2133 MHz 16 Gt (4 x 4 Gt)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 4 TB 64 MB 5900 RPM
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Case: Antec P280
Power Supply: EVGA 750W Supernova 750 G2

I read from Backblaze that the 4 TB Barracuda should be fine with only 3% failure rate, GTX 770 is from friend and should be good enough for my use.

Personally I would get a better cooler as you should be thinking about overclocking with that CPU. It overclocks tremendously well and I got mine to 4.5Ghz 'easily' using a Noctua NH-D15. This is stable and for 24/7 use, so luckily this overclock is both cool and quiet as it was achieved using only 1.230 volts (which I can get lower but just haven't had the time until today). Check the image below.

RAM choice makes little difference, but I would definitely go for 16GB. PSU choice is great. Lastly, Nvidia is going to unveil a new GPU imminently that may affect prices whilst AMD is releasing a whole new line of GPUs next month too. So may be worth buying the rest of your parts and getting the GPU last.

11336819_702009983260902_2963897251491211653_o.jpg

RGM79

I am currently using the Hyper 212 EVO. I thought of upgrading to something like the Hydro Series H110i GT but that would be for looks really. From what you have told me upgrading my motherboard wouldn't do much for me except a different look I might be going for. Thank you very much for the help.

I updated my post with some examples and links, if you wanted to read more about overclocking your 4670K.

The 212 Evo is a great budget cooler, you shouldn't have any issues hitting 4.5GHz which is the sweet spot in terms of temperatures and how easy it is to get there.

No problem, I just think the money is better spent on other parts, that's all.

Okay wow, this is amazing and greatly appreciated.

I keep trying to add the Mobo you selected on NCIX to my cart, and it loads into the page with a reduce price, and then refreshes to a higher one.

With the reduction in cost from your recommendations I might choose pick up a 970 right now, any further recommendations?

Thanks!

edit: Example 970 I found: http://www.ncix.com/detail/evga-geforce-gtx-970-superclocked-10-102481-1115.htm?affiliateid=7474144

Hmm, there seems to be something weird going on with NCIX's price. It might not actually be available for $100 after rebate. Adding it to cart just gives me the $155 price, so I guess it's some weird pricing error that updates and fixes itself when the product page finishes loading.

Edit: apparently it was a very time/quantity-limited deal that already ran out.

Well, how about this, then? NCIX offers the same processor and motherboard in a bundle for $380 after $20 rebate. The separate price was $280 for the i5 4690K from Directcanada, and $100 after $20 rebate for the Asus Z97-E from NCIX. I can add that bundle to the cart and the price stays for me, and it's the same price as if you were to buy them separate except there's no price error. You can just pick up the bundle from NCIX.

As GTX 970 recommendations.. that SC model isn't bad. There's also the newer EVGA SSC model for $400 after $15 rebate. Still comes with game codes for the Witcher 3 and Batman Arkham Knight if you're interested in playing them, or you could try selling the game codes to make up for the cost. There are other GTX 970 models for less than $400, but they're all models with somewhat less effective and more noisy single fan blower-type coolers. It's only a $5 difference between the two, but the newer SSC model is supposed to have an improved cooler design. Not sure how much of that EVGA marketing spin actually translates into a measurable difference between the SC and SSC models, but if given the choice I think I'd go for the SSC.

Dunfisch

Bumpity for the new page, thread's going fast.

Original posts are here and here.

Really thinking I should just cannibalize all I can from my old comp and only get the utter necessities - Mobo, CPU, RAM, SSD. Everything else I can replace later on, if necessary.

Thoughts?

How can I be sure a Cooler Master 212 Evo isn't going to foul my Fractal Define Mini case or my Corsair Vengeance Pro ram on a Gigabyte mATX Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard? Does the ram have to go in the closest slot to the cooler i.e 1+3 or can it go in 2+4?

Will I actually get any tangible (noise, lack of throttling) benefit with the aftermarket cooler on a 4790K if I'm not overclocking straight away?

I'm guessing if I stick some 1866Mhz ram in a Z97 board, it'll run at 1600Mhz until I choose an XMP profile in the bios? If I do choose XMP, will that result in anything elsewhere in the system being overclocked i.e busses/controllers or will dividers keep everything else in spec?

RGM79

Bumpity for the new page, thread's going fast.

Original posts are here and here.

Really thinking I should just cannibalize all I can from my old comp and only get the utter necessities - Mobo, CPU, RAM, SSD. Everything else I can replace later on, if necessary.

Thoughts?

From what you've said, that sounds about right. Spend as little as you can so you can go for a stronger GPU in the future. The K model overclockable CPU is preferable, but be wary about motherboard compatibility. If possible, check with the retailer to see what BIOS revision the Z87 motherboard comes with, it's not guaranteed that the Z87 motherboard will recognize a i5 4690K out of the box unless it comes with a recent enough BIOS revision.

I assume you have already looked at the option of buying used parts?

750ti is the goto £100 card. What about £150?

You can get an R9 280 or GTX 960 for that much money. The R9 280's strength is 3GB of VRAM which will be effective for 1080p gaming on higher settings for quite a while yet. Weaknesses would be that it's an old design that doesn't benefit as much from latest drivers and requires a stronger power supply and produces more heat and perhaps noise.

The GTX 960's strength is better driver support for future updates and features like DSR and lower noise, heat (some models have silent fan modes), and power consumption. Weakness would be the 2GB of VRAM, certain games at 1080p on higher settings can hit over 2GB VRAM usage, although it'll depend on the game.

Which one you go with will depend on certain factors. If you have some games that you love to play or are looking forward to, maybe look for benchmarks that show you how well the R9 280 and GTX 960 perform for them. What power supply you have and the size of your case can also matter, you need to make sure your power supply is up to the task of powering the graphics card (500 watts or more for the R9 280, 400 watts or more for the GTX 960) and whether the graphics card will physically fit into your case (less likely to be a problem, but checking the length wouldn't hurt).

How can I be sure a Cooler Master 212 Evo isn't going to foul my Fractal Define Mini case or my Corsair Vengeance Pro ram on a Gigabyte mATX Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard? Does the ram have to go in the closest slot to the cooler i.e 1+3 or can it go in 2+4?

Will I actually get any tangible (noise, lack of throttling) benefit with the aftermarket cooler on a 4790K if I'm not overclocking straight away?

I'm guessing if I stick some 1866Mhz ram in a Z97 board, it'll run at 1600Mhz until I choose an XMP profile in the bios? If I do choose XMP, will that result in anything elsewhere in the system being overclocked i.e busses/controllers or will dividers keep everything else in spec?

1. The 212 Evo is 159mm tall and the Define Mini supports heatsinks up to 160mm height. There should be no problems, this person talks about fitting the 212 Evo into his Define Mini case as well as RAM compatibility.

2. Looking at the above link's measurement diagrams for the 212 Evo, the cooler normally has room under the 120mm fan for RAM up to 37mm tall. As you can see in the diagram, the heatsink is tallest at the heatpipes. The fan attaches to the heatsink with plastic clips so you can slide the fan upward (the fan at it's highest point is 149.5mm tall and the plastic mounting bracket allows you to move the fan) so that the fan is at the same height as the heatpipes. That gives you an additional 9mm or so of room, meaning it would be possible to fit RAM up to 46mm tall.

Your Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM is 44mm tall, and therefore should just fit underneath the fan if you slide the fan up for extra room. I would recommend installing the RAM before installing the 212 Evo heatsink to avoid any issues you might have installing the RAM with the cooler possibly blocking the way. You should also leave the fans for the last step, attach the fans after everything else is done, of course.

3. You should check the motherboard manual for best RAM placement. The Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5's manual tell you exactly where to install the RAM, which is slots 1 and 2 as labeled in the diagram.

You can install them in the other slots marked 3 and 4 and I don't think it will cause any issues or reduce performance. Just about every motherboard recommends installing RAM in the farthest and third farthest slots before filling the rest, and I'm not really sure why. The diagram does say that having two sticks of RAM in slots 3 and 4 is acceptable.

4. The stock Intel cooler is.. adequate. It will be enough to keep the processor from overheating in most situations, but can run rather loud as the 92mm fan has to spin at a high rate to keep the small aluminum puck cool. Advantages of having an aftermarket cooler even when not overclocking is lower noise and temperatures when under load. Here's the old Hardware Secrets review of the 212 Evo from when it came out, it includes the results of the stock Intel heatsink (hasn't really changed in a long time) so there is a basis for comparison.

If you don't particularly care about noise or won't be running anything hugely taxing on the CPU (math/modelling computation?), you should be fine with the stock Intel cooler.

5. You are correct, RAM will default to 1333/1600MHz unless you select XMP or manually overclock the RAM. Selecting XMP will not require you to overclock anything else nor will it automatically overclock anything else.

Vance

Banned
I updated my post with some examples and links, if you wanted to read more about overclocking your 4670K.

The 212 Evo is a great budget cooler, you shouldn't have any issues hitting 4.5GHz which is the sweet spot in terms of temperatures and how easy it is to get there.

No problem, I just think the money is better spent on other parts, that's all.

Once again thanks for your help! think I will try to do some overclocking today on my CPU with the links you posted and maybe my GTX 970 too if all goes well. Truth be told I am just kinda itching to add something besides what I listed I also have:

Memory:16GB RipjawsX Series 8GB PC3-17000
Storage: 1 Samsung SSDNow V300 1:Intel SSD 730 1: WD 1TB
Case: Corsair Air 540
PSU: SuperNOVA 850 G2
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Dunfisch

From what you've said, that sounds about right. Spend as little as you can so you can go for a stronger GPU in the future. The K model overclockable CPU is preferable, but be wary about motherboard compatibility. If possible, check with the retailer to see what BIOS revision the Z87 motherboard comes with, it's not guaranteed that the Z87 motherboard will recognize a i5 4690K out of the box unless it comes with a recent enough BIOS revision.

I assume you have already looked at the option of buying used parts?

The idea of buying used actually didn't come to mind. Could certainly shave off even more from the bill, but I'll be honest and admit to disliking the thought of buying used. Maybe.

A K series Intel is what I wanted to begin with, but dropped in favour of a cheaper bill. Given that PCParts Picker slashed 100 € right off the gate, I could go for one again, with a corresponding overclock ready Mobo to boot. I'd get it all online, so checking the BIOS revision beforehand is likely out, but updates are a thing these days... err, decades.

Hmm, looks like I'll settle for spending a bit more on Mobo and CPU, more RAM and new GPU down the road. If I can get a 4690K and fitting MB, it's the system foundation I wanted to begin with - from there, upgrades can come whenever, since in that case I wouldn't be looking to replace it entirely a year down the road.
Plunk a cooler on the i5 first to raise it to at least 4 Ghz, then double the RAM and a 970 when I can. New tower would be nice, but hey, I got a fully functional one.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
For people that worried about 212's size, I really recommend going with the Freezer Pro as an alternative. It's still a nice, bulky aftermarket cooler but a bit smaller in all dimensions where it will definitely fit in your case and will definitely not cover any other slots. Also, it cools just as well and takes about 1 minute to install on either chip. Most people in here don't seem to be doing any serious overclocking beyond the usual specs so save the space and $10.

RGM79

The idea of buying used actually didn't come to mind. Could certainly shave off even more from the bill, but I'll be honest and admit to disliking the thought of buying used. Maybe.

A K series Intel is what I wanted to begin with, but dropped in favour of a cheaper bill. Given that PCParts Picker slashed 100 € right off the gate, I could go for one again, with a corresponding overclock ready Mobo to boot. I'd get it all online, so checking the BIOS revision beforehand is likely out, but updates are a thing these days... err, decades.

Hmm, looks like I'll settle for spending a bit more on Mobo and CPU, more RAM and new GPU down the road. If I can get a 4690K and fitting MB, it's the system foundation I wanted to begin with - from there, upgrades can come whenever, since in that case I wouldn't be looking to replace it entirely a year down the road.
Plunk a cooler on the i5 first to raise it to at least 4 Ghz, then double the RAM and a 970 when I can. New tower would be nice, but hey, I got a fully functional one.
Sounds like you got a good plan, then. Just be aware that you need a compatible CPU to update the motherboard BIOS to make it compatible with the 4690K, if it needs the update at all.

Psykotik

It's possible, but sorta iffy. A GTX 970 will draw somewhere under 200 watts by itself, and your i7 4790 processor should draw a bit more than 100 watts. Then chalk up another 50~75 watts or so for the motherboard and other parts like hard drives, fans, etc. The issue is that prebuilt PCs come with barely acceptable power supplies that might not actually supply that much wattage on the 12V rail, which is the most important one that feeds the processor and graphics card and a lot of other parts. Some low end power supplies add the wattages of the other 3.3V and 5V rails to the 12V rail and pass that off as a misleading "total wattage", like this crap "400 watt" power supply that only delivers 216 watts on the 12V rail. Ideally a good power supply should be able to provide more than that through the 12V rail like this 650 watt Super Flower model that provides 649 watts on the 12V rail, not even counting the 3.3V and 5V rails.

If what the people are saying in this link about the XPS 8700 power supply are correct, then it is only capable of about 380 watts on the 12V rail, which is just barely more than what you would need to run your system with a GTX 970, but it is way too close for comfort and you risk system instability or even damage if the PSU blows out because it can't handle running near 100% capacity for extended periods.

If you can provide a picture of the information label on the power supply in your Dell PC showing us the wattage, it will help us check if your PSU is actually capable of 460 watts on the 12V rail. If it is then you could go without a power supply upgrade, but all the same I think it's best if you got a new power supply.

thanks for the tips.

here's a link to the exact psu that's in my case:

http://www.efgadgets.com/06gxm0-dell-shenzen-huntkey-hu460am-00-i708084/

thumb_005_500_375.jpg

thoughts?

Link Man

Banned
The GTX 960's strength is better driver support for future updates and features like DSR and lower noise, heat (some models have silent fan modes), and power consumption. Weakness would be the 2GB of VRAM, certain games at 1080p on higher settings can hit over 2GB VRAM usage, although it'll depend on the game.

As I posted on the last page, there's a 4 GB variant of the 960 for not much more (don't know what the prices are like in the UK). Something to consider, maybe, if there's any wiggle room.

Psxdad

Okay guys so I put my PC together tonight and tried booting it up. Nothing is displaying on the monitor and the computer stays on for about 10 secs or so then resets. I opened up the side panel and the fans and everything are working so it seems like everything getting power. What's going on?

Here's what I built: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Psxdad/saved/9w39TW

Been messing around with things all morning and still no luck. Same issue. Frustrating because I'm not getting any beeps to even help guide me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom