• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevenfold

Thanks. It's for a relative, and her dad and myself are team green so it's the 960 or 750ti I think. She's been pushed to upgrade from the handmedown Q6600 and GTX260 both of which have proved incredible value and it's the GPU more than the CPU forcing her hand but it's a full system effectively and a jump to SSD. An I5 or I7k is on the cards to partner the GPU and 8 or 16GB ram (Which reminds me, is Minecraft a 64 bit executable? No brainer if so, she's hooked)
It's a shame about the Vram on the cards, but, other than ridiculous requirements on ports to cover the work of lazy devs, it hasn't proved an issue for my 780ti yet...

Sevenfold

Bought a gtx 960 and ran it on dark souls 2. Card got really loud. Wondering if it's because the card is getting any help from cpu.

Mb is m5a97 and cpu is phenom ii x6 1100t.

Could just be the fans trying to keep the card cool. Do you have Precision X installed?
MY 780 is loud when playing Witcher 3.

Ok so I am ready to get a new PC but I don't have anything at all (I only have a laptop), should I get an off the shelf PC and upgrade it or should I buy everything individually?

Well, my mobo left this realm of existence, a Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4. The question is, replace it with exactly the same modeltype or is there a successors available? Or should I buy a completely different brand?

The thing with this mobo was, it needed a bios flashupdate to recognize the i7 4820k processor, had to be send in for that to happen. Maybe I can avoid this when buying a different board?

Vance

Banned
Ok so I am ready to get a new PC but I don't have anything at all (I only have a laptop), should I get an off the shelf PC and upgrade it or should I buy everything individually?

Buy everything individually. You should save some money and its just fun putting one together. You have countless choices and can make your PC look anyway you want. Also for the most part it is pretty easy to put one together, i just sourced information from this thread.

Thorgal

I have a problem .

my 780 TI classified was abnormaly loud while idle .

upon inspection i found that one of the fans of the ACX cooler is not spinning or to be more precise it spins around for a sec and then stops and then shakes a bit .

meanwhile the other fan revs itself up (eventough precision x states it is running idle )

I checked to see if something was blocking the fan like dust but did not see anything.

did it die on me Gaf ?

LilJoka

I have a problem .

my 780 TI classified was abnormaly loud while idle .

upon inspection i found that one of the fans of the ACX cooler is not spinning or to be more precise it spins around for a sec and then stops and then shakes a bit .

meanwhile the other fan revs itself up (eventough precision x states it is running idle )

I checked to see if something was blocking the fan like dust but did not see anything.

did it die on me Gaf ?

Very possible, I assume the fan spins freely if you turn it with your finger?

LilJoka

yes , it spins freely ,so i doubt it could be dust build up .

I'm sure tha fans are wired up in parallel with a single rpm sense on one fan, so probably the fan that died has the rpm readout, the bios sees 0rpm but is looking for Xrpm, so increases the PWM frequency causing the only fan working to end up going full speed.

Your best bet is try contact EVGA.

RGM79

thanks for the tips.

here's a link to the exact psu that's in my case:

http://www.efgadgets.com/06gxm0-dell-shenzen-huntkey-hu460am-00-i708084/

thumb_005_500_375.jpg

thoughts?

Yeah, that says right on the label that it's only good for 384 watts on the 12V rail. I would not recommend trying to run at GTX 970 with that, you should consider getting a new power supply. I could recommend one if you can tell me what country you're in and what sort of budget you have.

As I posted on the last page, there's a 4 GB variant of the 960 for not much more (don't know what the prices are like in the UK). Something to consider, maybe, if there's any wiggle room.

Unfortunately not at the price he's looking at. Those start at around £190.

Been messing around with things all morning and still no luck. Same issue. Frustrating because I'm not getting any beeps to even help guide me.

Checked all cables and connections? Test the power supply with the paper clip trick, see if it stays on for more than 10 seconds.

Might be a faulty motherboard, who knows..

Well, my mobo left this realm of existence, a Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4. The question is, replace it with exactly the same modeltype or is there a successors available? Or should I buy a completely different brand?

The thing with this mobo was, it needed a bios flashupdate to recognize the i7 4820k processor, had to be send in for that to happen. Maybe I can avoid this when buying a different board?
Yes, I think you should be able to avoid that issue. If possible, check with the retailer what BIOS revision the motherboards you may be buying comes with.

welp.....since 980ti is near , i might need to changed the pc I'm building and change the gpu i wanted to 980ti if the rumor of it retailing at $645+ is true

just wanting to show the list of parts that some of you folks helped me out to get...i will be buying my first parts for the next 4 weeks then get the expensive ones last

feel free to critique my parts
that cpu might be overkill but i might need it..

also what's the best version of 980ti should i go for? msi again like the 980?

edit: forgot to ask if my one 980ti can do 1440p? i might need a second 980ti maybe?
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($994.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($257.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($206.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($79.95 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($87.98 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($27.78 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 158.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($27.78 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone XTD Wired Laser Mouse ($75.98 @ OutletPC)
Other: Acer Predator XB270HU
Total: $3489.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 14:19 EDT-0400

Thorgal

I'm sure tha fans are wired up in parallel with a single rpm sense on one fan, so probably the fan that died has the rpm readout, the bios sees 0rpm but is looking for Xrpm, so increases the PWM frequency causing the only fan working to end up going full speed.

Your best bet is try contact EVGA.
I will return it to the shop i bought it from ( still under warranty . Ty EVGA)next week.

perhaps a dumb question but in the meantime , is it still safe to Play with that card with one busted fan ?

as far as i could tell ,the card still runs fine and i see no rising temps. only anoyance is the increased sound of the other fan.

welp.....since 980ti is near , i might need to changed the pc I'm building and change the gpu i wanted to 980ti if the rumor of it retailing at $645+ is true

just wanting to show the list of parts that some of you folks helped me out to get...i will be buying my first parts for the next 4 weeks then get the expensive ones last

feel free to critique my parts
that cpu might be overkill but i might need it..

also what's the best version of 980ti should i go for? msi again like the 980?

edit: forgot to ask if my one 980ti can do 1440p? i might need a second 980ti maybe?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($994.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($257.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial BX100 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($549.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($206.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($79.95 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($87.98 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone XTD Wired Laser Mouse ($75.98 @ OutletPC)
Other: Acer Predator XB270HU
Total: $3489.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-30 14:19 EDT-0400

What are you planning to do with this machine? If it's only gaming you're easily just burning up $1000

I'd go for a 5820k then. I think the $1000 CPU only makes sense if time=money for you in your line of work. Some people really need it, most don't.

got it ! i just changed it !

also a question

will a gtx 980ti do well if i use a 1440p monitor ?

how much fps do i get with that if i play TW3?

dumb question since 980ti is not out yet and benchmarks aren't shown but.....

hopefully one would suffice before i sli it

got it ! i just changed it !

also a question

will a gtx 980ti do well if i use a 1440p monitor ?

how much fps do i get with that if i play TW3?

dumb question since 980ti is not out yet and benchmarks aren't shown but.....

hopefully one would suffice before i sli it

980 Ti would be a fantastic card for 1440p. You wouldn't have to go SLI, and shouldn't IMHO.

Don't know what price the Ti will be though.

Using a few sites to figure out my power consumption, it seems like I could use a R9 290 on a 500w PSU, but why is it that all the 290s I look at have a 750w requirement? Are they listing crossfire requirements? I understand playing it safe with recommendations, but by that much?

hopefully it's $645 or something..some are saying it's $700 ;_; sheesh

Well, get a 5820k, overclock it at least 1Ghz past stock, and you'll have a beast of a machine still, and will have saved hundreds of dollars by not buying the insanely expensive top Haswell-E CPU.

This can go into buying a 980 Ti or AMD Fiji HBM card (rumoured to be called Fury) when they release next month.

Well, get a 5820k, overclock it at least 1Ghz past stock, and you'll have a beast of a machine still, and will have saved hundreds of dollars by not buying the insanely expensive top Haswell-E CPU.

This can go into buying a 980 Ti or AMD Fiji HBM card (rumoured to be called Fury) when they release next month.
Yeahhh :3 thanks for the suggestion !

LilJoka

I will return it to the shop i bought it from ( still under warranty . Ty EVGA)next week.

perhaps a dumb question but in the meantime , is it still safe to Play with that card with one busted fan ?

as far as i could tell ,the card still runs fine and i see no rising temps. only anoyance is the increased sound of the other fan.

Totally fine to use the card if temps are ok.

gabbo

So, I will be replacing my Asus 660 at some point in the reasonably near future, The Witcher 3 is calling; and I'm wondering if a Zotac card (a 980 AMP!) is a viable solution. I like quite and cool, and have in the past heard negative things about Zotac overall.

Is the saving worth it over waiting for/paying for another manufacturer's (Asus/MSI/etc) card?

Hows S32D850T Monitor? Been debating if I should grab that one or BenQ BL3200PT.

I know theirs a few reports saying the Samsung monitor has white flickering, It's more obvious during gaming. Not sure if that's true or not.
I have been out of town and won't be home for a couple hours so I haven't been able to try it. A buddy had one and didn't seem to have a flickering issue but I did read a few reviews about it. It did seem the flickering issue reviews I saw were all in 2014, and even then there was only a few, so I'm hoping it was a small issue that's been fixed. I'll let you know as soon I get to play with it!

I'm in the same boat. However, I started planning long before ordering the processor and, when all is said and done, my build will have been coordinated over the course of nearly 3 months. I can't complain because in choosing a few component options in advance and then pouncing on deals as they become available I've literally saved myself hundreds of dollars. (super cool that you can see pricing history on PCPP to ensure that you're getting everything while they're at rock bottom) What was originally an $800+ build that I was willing to extend to $1000 is currently tracking to finish sub-$600. (doesn't include a monitor since I already had a 1080p Asus that has been fine)

Anyway, I too had to consider form factor. I wanted to get a full sized ATX board since it allows for more options and removes compromises, but as an apartment dweller there just wasn't a good way to integrate it into my current living situation. For where I wanted to place the tower I needed it to be under 16" tall. (accounts for sufficient airflow) There's simply nothing out there unless I was willing to go the HTPC route (this Silverstone case looks lovely) but that would require some heavy reconfiguration of my home theater and it was far from the most convenient option.

I swung in the opposite direction and gravitated toward an mITX build. The Thermaltake Core V1 in particular piqued my interest since its footprint is ultra-compact, it can house most full-sized components, and it allows for great airflow. My concerns with going this route, however, were that I really only had one mobo option that I felt comfortable going with after doing a ton of research, (the Asus Z97I-Plus) I would be limited to 16gb RAM, (not important now, but who knows what the future may hold and I've read a lot of debate/speculation on the subject) CPU cooler clearance is limited meaning that I would have to go with a less than ideal option, and the maximum graphics card length is limited stunting my options for future upgrades. The Fractal Node 304 alleviates some of these issues, but I honestly dislike the aesthetics of that case and airflow doesn't appear to be anything special with it.

I finally landed on mATX and purchased a Cooler Master N200 case when it was on sale for $35. I obviously haven't built with it yet, but I did already unbox it to inspect for damage and I'm more than pleased with the build quality and it ticks all the boxes I was looking for. It's just shy of 15" tall, (and shorter than that if you remove the feet) houses pretty much anything you want to throw in it, (supports the Gigabyte Windforce cards no problem and allows for bulky CPU coolers like the Hyper 212 Evo) and has great airflow options with its front mesh design. (I'm planning to add the optional second fan) In addition, mATX can allow for SLI/Crossfire if that's your thing and the boards can support 32GB RAM. (again, probably not important for gaming but I'd rather have the option) It also gave me a good deal of mobo options that I personally deemed worth considering and I ended up getting a great price on this Gigabyte. The only compromise that I feel like I made was getting a mobo that doesn't support M.2 thus limiting that as a future upgrade option, but that wasn't high priority to me.

As a first time builder, this process has been far from easy -- but it's already been fun and the knowledge gained has been incredibly rewarding. Just keep reading and you're sure to find something that will mitigate (eliminate?) compromise.
Thanks for all the information. I'm starting to think that a Micro ATX is what I'm leaning towards, as i think I only have to compromise on size, but it's still a lot smaller than my full tower now.

I just got a shipping notice from Intel that the 4790k is on the way, so it looks like I'm going to order the last few things now.

FaintDeftone

Just got done building my new PC. Man, the difference is crazy!

Went from:

Asus M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4
8GB Ram
AMD Radeon HD 7870

to a

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 3 LGA1150 motherboard
Intel Corei7 4790k 4ghz
8GB Ram (will double later)
EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SCC

I tested a few Steam games that I had that ran a little funky prior and they scream now. The computer is dead quiet too and the PC doesn't generate a bunch of heat around my legs anymore. Feels great!

SpyGuy239

GAF is nvidia 3D still worth investing in? I'm finally starting to earn some money and thought of investing one with a G-Sync Monitor.

Also how weird is it to run on main 4K screen and have 2 1080p screens flanking it? Probably will be right? with the different resolutions and all. I want to get a lager than 23" screen, the problem is both my other screens are 23" and 1080p.

Thanks!

So the GTX 970 isn't expected to drop in price soon with the new cards releasing, is it? And the 2 free game deal ends 6/1?

I want to ask the same thing. How likely is it that the price will drop. And will it be anytime soon?

I don't really care about the bundled games tbh. Just want the card for cheaper.

Hi guys, so I've got a new thing I need your help with. I want to buy a GTX 960. I know some might suggest getting a 970, but due to some special circumstances I can't save any more money, and I can't wait for a price drop, the money I have right now I have to spend in a matter of less than a week, and it's just about enough for a GTX 960.
But the thing is, which manufacturer do you guys recommend? Here in Chile my options are Zotac, MSI, Gigabyte and EVGA. I've heard good things from MSI, yet I've found that there are three types:Normal OC, Gaming 2G and Gaming 4G. I can't afford the 4G, but, is there too much of a difference in performance between them? I thank your help beforehand.

I want to ask the same thing. How likely is it that the price will drop. And will it be anytime soon?

I don't really care about the bundled games tbh. Just want the card for cheaper.

The only thing that could really trigger a 970 price drop is if AMD is really aggressive with their 290/290X rebrands (300 series). If they undercut and outperform then you may see a bit of a drop with the 970. I personally don't think they'll budge much, as Nvidia seems to end up on top lately no matter what.

MoonGred

I'm thinking of dropping my corsair 300r and changing to an air 240, the only problem would be is that I'd need a new motherboard and possibly a new cpu cooler.
The small build guide recommends the Maximus VII impact which looks fine but I'll most likely move over to a new cpu in 2 generations, and I'm a bit weary to drop 320AUD for something I know I'll replace somewhat soonish.
Any recommendations? I'm happy to use either micro itx or mini atx. Preferably with integrated wifi and maybe even a soundcard.

Additionally can anyone comment on whether the air 240 will actually fit a Gigabyte windforce 970, looking at the specs the card look 2cm too long.

Swift PG27AQ

Been waiting for some more information on it myself. Last word on it was at CES...maybe we will hear something at E3

Possibly the PC Gaming Event, but even at CES it was slated for Q3/H2 2015, so it's no surprise it came and went. But yeah, I'm definitely grabbing one when it comes out. Hoping it's not more than $800 :x

belushy

Banned
At the moment I just want something that can run decently until I build up more funds. I will probably just add new parts to this PC as the months go on until I have exactly what I want.

Your Current Specs: None
Budget: Max $600 USA
Main Use: Gaming 5/5 General Usage 5/5
Monitor Resolution: n/a
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Minecraft (60fps+) Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Total War and Civilization. Any modern strategy game pretty much. CS:GO and Overwatch at a decent framerate.
Looking to reuse any parts?: N/a
When will you build?: Under a month.
Will you be overclocking?: Eventually.

NeonBlack

Hey guys, been thinking about building a PC (first-time) and wanted to know if the builds in the first post are still good. I was looking for around $1500.

Reposting from a couple pages back. Not urgent, but I'm still curious:

Alright, another theoretical question, sorry for all these:

How do I know what speed RAM my system can support? No matter what Intel processor I look up (in this case it's the i7-4790K) Intel's official site lists only 1333 and 1600, while it seems like motherboards and RAM itself goes up to like 2133 and beyond. In this case, is it just important to match up what the RAM can do with what the motherboard can support, or is there really a CPU limitation going on?

paskowitz

Hey guys, been thinking about building a PC (first-time) and wanted to know if the builds in the first post are still good. I was looking for around $1500.

They are pretty solid. Do you need a monitor/screen? Keyboard/mouse?

You may want to wait until the GTX 980 ti and AMD's next series of cards are released. Prices for current cards will likely drop (or there will be sales). End of next month would should be ideal.

NeonBlack

They are pretty solid. Do you need a monitor/screen? Keyboard/mouse?

You may want to wait until the GTX 980 ti and AMD's next series of cards are released. Prices for current cards will likely drop (or there will be sales). End of next month would should be ideal.

I was thinking about end of June to decide. I'm mostly gonna be using controllers and I have a bunch to KB&M lying around so thats taking care of. This pc will be used for only gaming and will be connected to my TV.

Psxdad

Checked all cables and connections? Test the power supply with the paper clip trick, see if it stays on for more than 10 seconds.

Might be a faulty motherboard, who knows..

Just wanted to say that I took everything apart and built it piece by piece outside my case first to isolate any issues. It did the trick. I think it had to do with the way the processor was seated. I reseated it, and reattached the cooler, and rebuilt everything. Everything works wonderfully now and I'm writing this on my new PC. Thanks for everything!

Thorgal

Totally fine to use the card if temps are ok.

great!

one last thing : since they no longer make the 780 , is it likely i could get it replaced with a 980 ?

While i am at it i might as well join the modern world and get myself that SSD i was planning to get.

RGM79

Using a few sites to figure out my power consumption, it seems like I could use a R9 290 on a 500w PSU, but why is it that all the 290s I look at have a 750w requirement? Are they listing crossfire requirements? I understand playing it safe with recommendations, but by that much?

That's just how it is. I suppose it could be also that they are overstating requirements in case users are running an overclocked processor and graphics card. An overclocked R9 290 can draw over 300 watts, and so would an overclocked FX-9590.

At the moment I just want something that can run decently until I build up more funds. I will probably just add new parts to this PC as the months go on until I have exactly what I want.

Your Current Specs: None
Budget: Max $600 USA
Main Use: Gaming 5/5 General Usage 5/5
Monitor Resolution: n/a
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Minecraft (60fps+) Crusader Kings 2, Europa Universalis 4, Total War and Civilization. Any modern strategy game pretty much. CS:GO and Overwatch at a decent framerate.
Looking to reuse any parts?: N/a
When will you build?: Under a month.
Will you be overclocking?: Eventually.

On such a limited budget, this is the best I can recommend. The graphics card is capable of meeting the requirements for all the games you listed, but is only considered lower-middle range at best.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.71 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($97.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $591.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-31 02:25 EDT-0400

I had to leave off things like an aftermarket CPU heatsink and go with a minimum of RAM and hard drive space. The processor, motherboard, and power supply are great and should carry you through the next several years' worth of upgrades. Your next upgrades could be extra RAM (aim for 16GB total), a better CPU cooler (for overclocking), and maybe a new graphics card (depending on your budget and what you want to play at what framerate and graphics settings).

Will this $600 build also require keyboard, mouse, monitor, or anything else? Windows OS?

fatchris

Gents, a friend of mine is trying to buy a new 1440p IPS monitor. Should I recommend him an LG monitor?

He has a 970GTX, should I just say that he should get a G-sync monitor?

EDIT:

http://rog.asus.com/420062015/gamin...d-ips-gaming-display-with-144hz-and-freesync/

Holy shit. 1440p, 144hz, IPS.
The only problem is FreeSync since he is not an AMD user, but I might nab this one for myself.

There's also this (same panel, uses G-sync, so it costs more)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Both the Asus and the Acer have had quality control problems. The Asus had to be recalled due to frame-skpping - not sure about the build quality otherwise.

The Acer seems to have been thrown together in a rush - there on people on forums reporting problems with dust under the panel and awful backlight bleeding (not IPS glow) even after half a dozen exchanges. Acer UK finally came out and recalled what they called "a bad batch", although it's impossible to tell whether there were any good panels on the market before they decided to step up their QC.

I'm currently waiting until the end of the summer to see what people say about the Acer then. Also hoping another manufacturer might announce something with similar specs during Computex or E3, but we'll see.

Engell

Gents, a friend of mine is trying to buy a new 1440p IPS monitor. Should I recommend him an LG monitor?

He has a 970GTX, should I just say that he should get a G-sync monitor?

EDIT:

http://rog.asus.com/420062015/gamin...d-ips-gaming-display-with-144hz-and-freesync/

Holy shit. 1440p, 144hz, IPS.
The only problem is FreeSync since he is not an AMD user, but I might nab this one for myself.

how about the Acer Predator XB270HU 144hz IPS gsync
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Move over Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, in our opinion we've got a new king of gaming monitors! We won't repeat everything we've been through in the gaming sections of this review but when you combine the high 2560 x 1440 resolution, fast response times, freedom from overshoot, 144Hz refresh rate support, ULMB blur reduction mode, G-sync support and very low lag you have one hell of a gaming monitor. We feel that this screen pips the excellent Asus ROG Swift PG278Q thanks to its IPS panel, bringing with it a lighter, clearer AG coating and improvements in image quality and viewing angles compared with TN Film offerings. You're really combining the best of both worlds here. The Asus does have the edge we felt in appearance, design and build quality but this XB270HU is a marked improvement over older office-line Acer screens you might have seen in the past. Acer seem to be making a big effort to enhance their monitor line-up and that's always a welcome thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTHr96NueA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom