• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
just received my first SSD, samsung evo 850

holy. fuck. this shit is next gen

I know how you feel bro. I posted in this thread for my first build and did a ton of research. It's a joy having your PC boot up in 8 seconds from cold start on Windows 7. I'm also glad that I just said "eh fuck it" on the ram and went 16 GB, even though I have no use for it. That will all probably change once get a GPU and start gaming on this thing. Also, the free upgrade to windows 10 will be glorious.

I know how you feel bro. I posted in this thread for my first build and did a ton of research. It's a joy having your PC boot up in 8 seconds from cold start on Windows 7. I'm also glad that I just said "eh fuck it" on the ram and went 16 GB, even though I have no use for it. That will all probably change once get a GPU and start gaming on this thing. Also, the free upgrade to windows 10 will be glorious.

steam was honestly one of the slowest loading apps at startup too.. and now

holy shit, that's all I can say. I was amazed at how tiny the drive is as well.

I've recently installed a noctua dh-15 in my rig (got rid of my old h60 water aio) and started messing with some overclocking.

Right now I'm at 4.3 ghz and 1.2 v (4670k).

Tried going up while keeping the voltage down, without much luck.

I guess my chip isn't that good.

The noctua is a monster. Even under load in AIDA64 temperatures never go over 70C.

And Europe is crazy hot these days, my house is burning xD

Consider yourself still lucky. My 4670k is now at 4.2 ghz with 1.265v. And that is the best that I can waste my time tinkering. Damn depressing tbh.

Vardhan

So I jumped on this deal and will be getting the GTX 980.

My question is: what G-Sync monitor would work well with a GTX 980? Would that graphics card be wasted on a 1080 monitor?

I do not know much about monitors. First time gaming on a gaming PC. I am not even sure what I got myself into. :p

So I jumped on this deal and will be getting the GTX 980.

My question is: what G-Sync monitor would work well with a GTX 980? Would that graphics card be wasted on a 1080 monitor?

I do not know much about monitors. First time gaming on a gaming PC. I am not even sure what I got myself into. :p

1080 is fine. The card is nowhere near powerful enough to drive new GPU heavy games at 1440p/60.

Hell, even at 1080 it will struggle to maintain 60 in most newer games with all bells and whistles.

Staab

man, losing your whole pc because of a power outtage sucks :/ my motherboard, SPU, 2500k and my gtx 970 died, and i wont be able to get a new pc for some time.
Are you sure it's not just the Power supply ?
It seems odd that it would fry all the parts, there's usually fail-safes for that in the PS.

xkramz

got two pick ups last week :

NZXT H440 tower

MSI GTX 970 gaming 4g

i lvoe the case and the gpu was a very good upgrade from a gtx 650 ti

zXuDiAb.jpg

Rolfgang

I just upgraded from a GTX 680 to a GTX 980 the other week, simply because €600 was the maximum amount of money I was willing to put into a new GPU in order to get Witcher 3 and FFXIV running smoothly. A 980 Ti would have cost €870, which is a fucking ridiculous price, even if it offers more bang for your buck.

I'm not saying that my decision was a smart one or anything, but there you go.

Yeah, in some countries the pricing was ridiculous for the 980 Ti (also here in The Netherlands), but I'm glad to see the prices are already dropping and are now on US-level (if you calculate the dollar-euro and VAT differences in).

well guys, I need some advice.

I replaced my old cpu fan for a new one, then after installing all the components back again the PC won't turn on, pressing the power button does nothing. I checked all the cables, all of them were connected properly, but the computer won't turn on. I noticed something, before plugging the atx connector from the psu to the motherboard (before you notice it's plugged properly by noticing the 'click') it seems to send power, the cpu fan and the gpu turn on for less than a second, then it turns off.

I don't know if this could be because of the motherboard or maybe the PSU just passed away. any suggestions?

last nite I tried the paperclip test, and the PSU seems to be working, so this is getting "interesting".

I plugged back the PSU cables, pushed the power button but it didn't work. I didn't have time to unplug everything, take out the mobo and check the CPU and ram sticks, but I noticed the card reader had the led light on, so I guess at least a little of power must reach the motherboard.

not sure what to do, if buy a new 1155 motherboard or keep doing some tests

knitoe

last nite I tried the paperclip test, and the PSU seems to be working, so this is getting "interesting".

I plugged back the PSU cables, pushed the power button but it didn't work. I didn't have time to unplug everything, take out the mobo and check the CPU and ram sticks, but I noticed the card reader had the led light on, so I guess at least a little of power must reach the motherboard.

not sure what to do, if buy a new 1155 motherboard or keep doing some tests

Check for loose wiring. Otherwise, something happen to the MB. And, yes, I had bad MB still showing it's getting power, but won't turn on.

Mohonky

Ok looking for advice.

I am kind of torn right now because my needs have changed a little or will be very soon as I am moving house. Currently I have my PC setup and Home thestre in the one room, but when I move this is likely to change as the Pc setup will remain in the bedroom but due to the fact the room is smaller, I am likely going to have to move the home theatre to another room entirely. This isnt really a problem for audio, as my Sony MDR-1A headphones and Fiio E10K dac will suffice for audio, but video is another thing entirely as usually when I want to game I might throw the video signal to my 1080p 50" plasma and home theatre, but with them in another room, I was thinking of upgrading my monitor, which is a 6 or 7 yr old 24" Samsung.

The problem I have is that no matter which direction I go with a monitor, I'm probably going to have to go with getting a new video card as my GTX670 is chugging along for the moment at 1080p, but as new games come out and as monitor increase in resolution, its not quite going to cut it.

Originally I wanted 21:9, still do really. Obviously its a resolution increase even at 1080p due to the horizontal increase so a new card is necessary, so if I buy a monitor here, its going to have to include a video card upgrade no matter how I look at it.

The problem becomes 2 fold;

There was a monitor I was looking at, LG 34" Ulrawide IPS with Freesync. Problem, its freesync, which means I end up looking at AMD cards. However going over the AMD cards and the performance is.....well not great. The R9 390X would be the most likely candidate, but when looking at benchmarks, it sutrggles to outperform even the GTX970 is a lot of instances, despite coming in over the price of the 970 but below the 980. Then you have the problem with AMD missing entire features from games due to nvidia works implementations and the fact that its a little too uncommon for games to come out with problems on AMD cards but not nvidia, and it really turns off me off picking up an AMD card.

The price however is quite manageable, $699 for the monitor, and roughly the same again for the card (this is AUD in case you start wondering why everything is more expensive)

So I stick with green team 21:9 monitors with Gsync. There are no gsync 21:9 monitors. I see they are coming, but the entry looks ridiculous. Now of course I could buy the previously mentioned monitor and just not worry about screen tearing, but it feels a little backward to potentially not go with something with adaptive refresh. So if I wait out on these monitors there a few things bugging me, firstly, 1080p and 60hz is actually fine by me. I dont need 144hz and I dont need 1440p. Nice? Yes. But I am considering costs here and thats where the problem begins. Currently 21:9 1440p monitors are going for $1200 plus. Thats double the price of the 10800 60hz model I was looking at, basically the cost of the previous option with video card. So I coukd maybe see what comes out but by the look of all the other new 21:9 monitors, it looks like everyone is jumping to the 1440p with high refresh options and I simply can't justify a price hike twice as much when I would be happy for less if it meant I could save some money. I could stretch $800 justifiably for a new monitor if it had what I wanted, but $1200+ is a bit rich for me.

Then of course I would need an nvidia card and this is also a bit of a geez which way do I go thing. Basically a 970 hovers around $500 here, $750 for the 980 and $1-1.1k for the 980-Ti. I usually go with the 70 series of card, its usually a decent compromise for me between price and power. But the 970 bugs me abit, firstly because of the 3.5+0.5gb issue. It doesn't seem to be an issue in a major sense, but going forward if games start becoming real ram hogs or I get a new monitor above 1080p, I just get the impression it may not quite cut it. So then I am thinking 980....but is it a decent time to buy a 980? Its still in the 4gb range I am just wondering if nvidia are going to announce something soon.

So I guess is it really going all in for adaptive refresh or is getting a higher end card and putting vsync on going to be a reasonable trade off?

So yeh I dunno which direction to go. Rest of the setup should be plenty fine;

Win 8.1
I7 4770k stock
16gb 1666mhz ram from mmeory
512gb SSD
GIGABYTE Z97X OC mobo
850watt Corsair PSU
NZXT Phantom 820 case

I know I can punch the clocks up on cpu but I am not comfortable overclocking (yes I know, why an OC board then, headroom I suppose) so I wouldn't be OC'ing a GPU, probly just buy one with factory OC.

Ps sorry for typos etc, typing from ipad.

Wag

Not sure but I think I might need a new PSU. I currently have a 1200w Antec HCP 1200 Gold 80 PSU and I just upgraded from a 3 6GB OG Titan SLI setup to 2 EVGA ACX 2.0+ 980TI's SLI. For some reason I am now getting shutdowns and lockups while gaming no matter what I do. I find this odd considering you'd think 3 OG Titans would draw more power and I didn't have a problem with them. I tested running 1 980Ti individually and it seems to be OK, only when I run 2 cards does my PC shutdown while playing games.

Any ideas on how I could know for sure what's going on? I don't want to spend $200+ on a new PSU if I don't have to (considering I just spent >$1200 for new videocards).

RGM79

R9 290 for $240 after $30 rebate

My only problem with this is that I have is that I think I'm going to have issues fitting this in my mini ITX case. DAMN IT. This would have been perfect!

My case is the Silverstone ML07 (which has the same exact internals as the RVZ01).

Going by the numbers it'll fit, but it'll be a bit tight.

The ML07 takes graphics cards with dimensions "up to 13 inches, width restriction - 5.88 inches". It doesn't say clearly, but I assume it takes dual slot graphics cards only.

That R9 290 measures in at 11.61 inches by 5.63 inches.

Or wait, are you afraid that you won't be able to plug in the PCI-E power cables?

Wag

Well, I contacted Antec and their CS offered to upgrade me from my old HCP-1200 to a new HCP-1300 PS for free (but I'll have to pay for shipping). Considering it's almost 5yrs old that's really nice of them.

So I did an advanced RMA - they advance charge me, when I get the new PS and ship the old one back then refund me. Hopefully that will fix my problem. Sweet. 😃

reKon

Banned
Going by the numbers it'll fit, but it'll be a bit tight.

The ML07 takes graphics cards with dimensions "up to 13 inches, width restriction - 5.88 inches". It doesn't say clearly, but I assume it takes dual slot graphics cards only.

That R9 290 measures in at 11.61 inches by 5.63 inches.

Or wait, are you afraid that you won't be able to plug in the PCI-E power cables?

I think the problem I would run into to is described here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1832840

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/chZ8TW

reKon

Banned
I can't say for certain that you won't run into that problem, but it seems like he had an issue with routing the power supply AC extension cord, and it had nothing to do with the graphics card itself?

Yeah. The first link, which I've added, details this issue as well

RGM79

Yeah. The first link, which I've added, detail this issue as well

Ah, I fully understand now. Well, at least it can be worked around by loosening the power plug. The 5.88 inch clearance is a bit misleading then, but I can see why they decided to advertise that.

jimboton

Is a peak temp of 68 C during 3DMark's Fire Strike physics test normal for a stock i7-4790k? Could that be the reason of the lowish (~11500) physics scores I'm getting?

RGM79

Is a peak temp of 68 C during 3DMark's Fire Strike physics test normal for a stock i7-4790k? Could that be the reason of the lowish (~11500) physics scores I'm getting?

That's quite cool. Not sure why your physics score is low. You're sure your CPU is running at full speed (4.0GHz, 4.4GHz with turbo boost)?

got two pick ups last week :

NZXT H440 tower

MSI GTX 970 gaming 4g

i lvoe the case and the gpu was a very good upgrade from a gtx 650 ti
How's the airflow so far? I was debating between this and the white Fractal Design R5 but those seem to have gone up in price due to limited stock. I'll be picking up a while H440 sometime in the fall.

Mozendo

So I noticed a few months back Micro Center gave away a free mobo with a 4690k. Does Micro Center do these type promotions on older processors when new ones come out?

Wag

Nooooo! My PC just shutdown with only 1 videocard in it. I have no idea what's wrong now. I might have RMA'd my PSU for no reason. Well, they are upgrading me to the next model for free, I guess it wouldn't hurt to see if that's the problem.

What's the consensus on Other World Computing? This is a bit off-topic, but I figured it'd be best to ask here, as they just released information on 1TB, 1TB SSD and 2TB Xbox One upgrade banks.

jimboton

That's quite cool. Not sure why your physics score is low. You're sure your CPU is running at full speed (4.0GHz, 4.4GHz with turbo boost)?

And umm.. would 78 C still be considered cool? that's from Coretemp after a couple more runs, and it's the temperature of just one core (mean CPU temp was probably lower). As for the frequency 3DMark reports "4300,5 Mhz (4000 MHZ)".. doesn't sound underclocked to me? Doing more tests and thinking what it is I could be missing.. I mean the system seems otherwise alright and stable...

RGM79

And umm.. would 78 C still be considered cool? that's from Coretemp after a couple more runs, and it's the temperature of just one core (mean CPU temp was probably lower). As for the frequency 3DMark reports "4300,5 Mhz (4000 MHZ)".. doesn't sound underclocked to me? Doing more tests and thinking what it is I could be missing.. I mean the system seems otherwise alright and stable...

CPU is safe up to 80 degrees or so, and then some. It probably isn't throttling itself.

Hard to say why the physics score is low. Are you getting low performance in any games?

jony_m

What's the consensus on Other World Computing? This is a bit off-topic, but I figured it'd be best to ask here, as they just released information on 1TB, 1TB SSD and 2TB Xbox One upgrade banks.

It's been a few years but I've purchased some Mac upgrades and SSDs for work from them without any problems.

It's been a few years but I've purchased some Mac upgrades and SSDs for work from them without any problems.

Thanks

Their related products have lots of great reviews, so I feel pretty comfortable. I just hadn't heard of the brand until now.

EDIT: What happens if you format and use the external on one console, then buy a new one and want to use it on that? Will it force you to reformat it and lose everything, or will it work seamlessly?

jimboton

CPU is safe up to 80 degrees or so, and then some. It probably isn't throttling itself.

Hard to say why the physics score is low. Are you getting low performance in any games?
It certainly doesn't seem too low compared to my previous system.. But that really isn't saying much. Something curious is that I had an even lower score at one point (10500 or so) and after I changed Windows energy profile (or whatever is called) to performance instead of balanced it got to about 11700.. Which is apparently still rather low. Will check the bios tomorrow and see if there's something off .

NoRéN

Any of you dudes ever run into the "windows not responding" freeze up?

Typical set up: pic fine yesterday. I get home today and the computer froze on the desktop.

Windows 7. Malware bytes, adwcleaner, avg not turning up anything.

Kronotech

Having a new PC built after 5 years. Spent some time perusing the excellent OP and finally started taking the time to make my purchases. My dad will be helping with the build as he's a computer wizard but he's no gaming wizard so I need some Gaf assurance that I'm on the right track...

This is really only going to be used for gaming as I have my Mac for high end production stuff.

CPU: i5 4690K (almost went i7 until I read i5 is perfect for gaming)
MoB: MSI Z97A GAMING 6 (should I step down to GIGABYTE GA-Z97M-D3H or similar instead?)
Ram: Not purchased yet. Advice?
Graphics: GTX 960 4GB
SSD: 500GB or 1TB (haven't decided)
Power Supply: probably CoolerMaster V750
Case: Still looking for a nice quiet case
Heatsink: I don't know enough about heatsinks to understand one over another.

Any help would be awesome!

Having a new PC built after 5 years. Spent some time perusing the excellent OP and finally started taking the time to make my purchases. My dad will be helping with the build as he's a computer wizard but he's no gaming wizard so I need some Gaf assurance that I'm on the right track...

This is really only going to be used for gaming as I have my Mac for high end production stuff.

MoB: MSI Z97A GAMING 6 (should I step down to GIGABYTE GA-Z97M-D3H or similar instead?)

We need to know what kind of games you want to play and the settings (all high? ultra? 60fps?).

Are you sure you want a 960? There are much better alternatives, price/performance-wise. What about a 970? Massive upgrade over the 960.

If you don't plan on overclocking, the stock cooler is good. But then why buy an unlocked cpu anyway? Get a cooler master hyper 212 evo. Cheap and reliable.

For a quiet case there's the Define R4. Space, looks and silence.

LilJoka

Get the cheaper motherboard
Get a smaller SSD 128/256Gb and 1TB HDD.
Get a GTX 970 with the saved money
Get a Coolermaster V550S PSU
2x4GB 1866Mhz CAS10 RAM
Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink
Case up to you, something from Fractal Design possibly.

RGM79

Prices, budget, location, expectations?

Kronotech

We need to know what kind of games you want to play and the settings (all high? ultra? 60fps?).
Sorry, currently I'm playing FFXIV and trying to play Shadow of Mordor currently. I'd love to play with Ultra settings and 60fps would be my goal.

Are you sure you want a 960? There are much better alternatives, price/performance-wise. What about a 970? Massive upgrade over the 960.
I purchased the 960 last night and it's shipping today. I didn't think the difference between the 960 and 970 would be that much and a coworker told me the price was a great deal. That would be a lack of me posting in the Gafverse first. I don't mind turning around and selling it though to replace with the 970 if that would definitely be a smarter upgrade.

If you don't plan on overclocking, the stock cooler is good. But then why buy an unlocked cpu anyway? Get a cooler master hyper 212 evo. Cheap and reliable.
That's true. I'll get that.

For a quiet case there's the Define R4. Space, looks and silence.
This one was definitely in my sights. Thanks for all the feedback!

Get the cheaper motherboard
Get a smaller SSD 128/256Gb and 1TB HDD.
Get a GTX 970 with the saved money
Get a Coolermaster V550S PSU
2x4GB 1866Mhz CAS10 RAM
Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink
Case up to you, something from Fractal Design possibly.

Awesome, thanks! I'll make my changes. I can still store my games on the HDD while reaping the benefits from the SSD?

Prices, budget, location, expectations?

Budget I'd like to stay under $1,200. Location - US. Expectations I'm not sure. That's where I have to dumb myself down. I'd like a fast PC that will give me Ultra settings and 60fps on the majority of games. I don't need to stream. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else I could expect. I know that probably doesn't help.

RGM79

Sorry, currently I'm playing FFXIV and trying to play Shadow of Mordor currently. I'd love to play with Ultra settings and 60fps would be my goal.

I purchased the 960 last night and it's shipping today. I didn't think the difference between the 960 and 970 would be that much and a coworker told me the price was a great deal. That would be a lack of me posting in the Gafverse first. I don't mind turning around and selling it though to replace with the 970 if that would definitely be a smarter upgrade.

I can still store my games on the HDD while reaping the benefits from the SSD?

Budget I'd like to stay under $1,200. Location - US. Expectations I'm not sure. That's where I have to dumb myself down. I'd like a fast PC that will give me Ultra settings and 60fps on the majority of games. I don't need to stream. Beyond that, I'm not sure what else I could expect. I know that probably doesn't help.

You can afford a GTX 970 on your budget. Maybe even a GTX 980 Ti if you're willing to skimp on some of the other parts.The GTX 960 is a bit weak for what you want to do (60FPS on ultra settings on recent games), so yeah, what you'll definitely hear from all of us is to get a stronger graphics card.

You can store games on the hard drive or SSD, but only the files on the SSD will load quickly. If you want a game or Windows to benefit from the SSD, it needs to be installed on the SSD.

I know you already have a parts list and the other guys have made parts suggestions, but here's what I mean when I say you can afford a GTX 980 Ti on your budget:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.56 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1225.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-09 20:24 EDT-0400

OK, I lied, it's $1225 and there's no SSD or Windows so it's not ideal. But believe me, you want a graphics card stronger than the GTX 960 and you can afford it. Go for a GTX 970, it's better bang for buck than the GTX 960 and you can use the rest of the money on SSD and maybe other nicer parts. A GTX 970 should handle Shadow of Mordor on ultra settings quite well and average around 60~70FPS, going by various youtube videos and some websites.

Vardhan

1080 is fine. The card is nowhere near powerful enough to drive new GPU heavy games at 1440p/60.

Hell, even at 1080 it will struggle to maintain 60 in most newer games with all bells and whistles.

Alright, thank you. I guess the next question would be is it worth getting a 1080 G-Sync monitor instead of a regular 1080 monitor with that card.

Alright, thank you. I guess the next question would be is it worth getting a 1080 G-Sync monitor instead of a regular 1080 monitor with that card.

G-sync is always worth it.

If you don't have a 1080p monitor, getting a g-sync one is a no-brainer (even if it's more expensive).

But if you already have one, I'd wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom