• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

baphomet

I've been having screen tearing on games that really aren't all that demanding and I'm wondering how to fix it. I've already set vertical sync to adaptive in NVIDIA control panel. V sync is on in the games I try. Specifically Ultra Street Fighter 4 on STEAM and most recently the demo of a very undemanding game, Ronin. I have a GTX 670. Any clues?

Do you have an adaptive sync display?

RGM79

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there any performance penalty for going with the first option?

Not really. Windows is usually smart enough to detect whether it's running from a hard drive or SSD. If running from a SSD, it will do usual things like enabling TRIM and turning off automatic defragging, but you can refer to any of the various SSD guides out there if you want to do extra things that Windows won't automatically do, like disabling hibernation, search indexing, etc. Some SSDs also come with an optional utility you can install that will detect and help you change settings to optimize SSD usage, like the Samsung Magician software for their current lineup of SSDs.

I personally don't think you really need to do any of that extra stuff to benefit from SSD speeds, and some people here consider software like Samsung Magician to be bloatware. Cloning Windows from a hard drive to a SSD is actually pretty common as far as upgrades go. Some SSD manufacturers will include a free serial for a partition manager and/or drive cloning software. Some more expensive SSD bundles come marked as a "laptop upgrade kit" that include a drive enclosure and USB cable so you can clone Windows on laptops that only have a single hard drive bay.

Kronotech

You can afford a GTX 970 on your budget. Maybe even a GTX 980 Ti if you're willing to skimp on some of the other parts.The GTX 960 is a bit weak for what you want to do (60FPS on ultra settings on recent games), so yeah, what you'll definitely hear from all of us is to get a stronger graphics card.

You can store games on the hard drive or SSD, but only the files on the SSD will load quickly. If you want a game or Windows to benefit from the SSD, it needs to be installed on the SSD.

I know you already have a parts list and the other guys have made parts suggestions, but here's what I mean when I say you can afford a GTX 980 Ti on your budget:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.56 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define S ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1225.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-09 20:24 EDT-0400

OK, I lied, it's $1225 and there's no SSD or Windows so it's not ideal. But believe me, you want a graphics card stronger than the GTX 960 and you can afford it. Go for a GTX 970, it's better bang for buck than the GTX 960 and you can use the rest of the money on SSD and maybe other nicer parts. A GTX 970 should handle Shadow of Mordor on ultra settings quite well and average around 60~70FPS, going by various youtube videos and some websites.

Ok I'm gonna go with the GTX 970. Any reason why I shouldn't go to 16GB of memory instead of the 8 recommended?

RGM79

Ok I'm gonna go with the GTX 970. Any reason why I shouldn't go to 16GB of memory instead of the 8 recommended?

Oh, that wasn't a serious build, that was just me trying to see if I could fit a GTX 980 Ti in your budget, and that meant cutting a few corners like going with 8GB only. If you want 16GB, go for it.

If you're looking for a decent deal on high speed RAM, there's this 2x8GB kit of G.Skill 2400MHz RAM for $90 including free shipping.

baphomet

I'll set it off again, but the problem, especially with Street Fighter is what set me out to try something like that in the first place. It never used to do that and then all of a sudden...

I was confusing adaptive vsync with adaptive sync. You can probably set it back to adaptive. I don't have any idea what could be causing your issue unfortunately.

Kronotech

Oh, that wasn't a serious build, that was just me trying to see if I could fit a GTX 980 Ti in your budget, and that meant cutting a few corners like going with 8GB only. If you want 16GB, go for it.

If you're looking for a decent deal on high speed RAM, there's this 2x8GB kit of G.Skill 2400MHz RAM for $90 including free shipping.

Ah ok great! So here is my rough draft. Look good? I'm comfortable with the price unless I should bump even more?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Ram: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
HDD: 500GB (or less - I don't have need for much room here)
SDD: 500GB (enough for a good handful of games)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: I like the Fractal Design

did those issues with the gtx970's memory get resolved? would it even effect me if I don't plan on going above 1080p?

It was a design, not issue, so yeah it is still there.

Probably, there are games now that will eat more than 4GB even at 1080p, but I reckon you will be mostly fine.

RGM79

did those issues with the gtx970's memory get resolved? would it even effect me if I don't plan on going above 1080p?
The memory works that way by design, it cannot be fixed. For the time being not many games will use that much VRAM especially at 1080p, but it's hard to say for the future, so long term viability is in the air, so to speak. Depending on how long you go between upgrades, a few years from now you might already replace the GTX 970 before the 3.5GB thing becomes an issue for normal 1080p gaming.

Ah ok great! So here is my rough draft. Look good? I'm comfortable with the price unless I should bump even more?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Ram: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
HDD: 500GB (or less - I don't have need for much room here)
SDD: 500GB (enough for a good handful of games)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: I like the Fractal Design
Looks great to me.

RGM79

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TMfcLk is what I'm seemingly going with, except its a 4790k for 5 less than whats there.

Any uh...cables I need to buy and such? Since I've never done this before? (I assume something for the SSD for 2.5->3.5)
No need, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case already comes with mounts for 2.5" drives.

Edit: if you're talking about SATA cables, 2.5" SSDs use the same SATA connectors as 3.5" drives so you don't need adaptors.

Soulflarz

Banned
No need, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro case already comes with mounts for 2.5" drives.

Edit: if you're talking about SATA cables, 2.5" SSDs use the same SATA connectors as 3.5" drives so you don't need adaptors.

Mounts for 2.5? I like this case!

And so I should uh...buy a SATA cable?
>_>

Also going with a 23 inch asus with IPS instead, 35 less and yeah why not

So, the R9 390.

In no way should that go in a SFF case right?

Nvidia makes me want to punch a bitch.

I know I'm going to buy my 970, then 3 months from now they are going to release a TI version with 5gb ram.

Anyone ever try out the Thermaltake Poseidon Z Mechanical Gaming Keyboard? Curious as my old trusty keyboard is on it's way out and BB has this on sale for $71. Pretty cheap for a mechanical keyboard.

Link to the keyboard here.

madmook

I've been having screen tearing on games that really aren't all that demanding and I'm wondering how to fix it. I've already set vertical sync to adaptive in NVIDIA control panel. V sync is on in the games I try. Specifically Ultra Street Fighter 4 on STEAM and most recently the demo of a very undemanding game, Ronin. I have a GTX 670. Any clues?
Random longshot to try: sometimes both 59 and 60hz show up as a refresh rate option in the display properties. If it's on 60hz try changing it to 59hz and see if that helps, or the other way around (depending on what it's set to at the moment).

Soooooo just ordered my 2nd batch of parts today! ^_^ only thing missing now is the monitor and the gpu!

Good thing the asus 1440p ips monitor is coming this august!

I'm planning to go with the 980ti as my gpu

Seems the gigabyte one is probably the best one due to higher clocks and etc but the coil whine reports and reviews :(

The msi gaming 6g 980ti looks slick as ever but it's plasticky as far as design goes :/

So any suggestions which one i should go for ?

Soulflarz

Banned
Oh yeah, do we expect anything on sale for prime day, or lol no, don't bother waiting on assembling an extra day or two in hopes of parts on the 15th going cheaper

baphomet

Well my PC is ready for VR now :)

laeINdD.jpg

uOetdTC.jpg

Now just for my 1440p G-Sync monitor to show up this coming week, and I'll be set.

cackhyena

Random longshot to try: sometimes both 59 and 60hz show up as a refresh rate option in the display properties. If it's on 60hz try changing it to 59hz and see if that helps, or the other way around (depending on what it's set to at the moment).
Where do I do that, in the NVIDIA panel?

I was going to wait around 4 years to jump into the world of PC gaming and build a nice gaming rig but was wandering if doing it now would be wise with the Amazon sale going on. Are there going to be any sales on PC parts and if so is there a list of the things I should watch out for? Don't really know what I'm doing. I was going to do tons of research myself... over the course of 4 years lol but this sale came out of nowhere. Anyway, I'll take the survey.

[Basic Desktop Questions]

•Your Current Specs: Surface Pro :p, This monitor, Cheap Speakers, Astro a50.
•Budget: Lets say $12-1500 If can be VR ready.
•Main Use: 5 gaming. I also like to play around in CAD.
•Monitor Resolution: I am fine with 1080p for now but do plan on upgrading to 1440p in the future.
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Would LOVE to be able to play Star Citizen. 1080 60 is fine with me for now. Don't know what any of those other things are but I like bells and whistles. Also, VR if possible.
•Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't have any.
•When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? No deadline, Like I said was going to wait 4 years but was wandering about this Amazon sale so I guess anywhere between now and 4 years...
•Will you be overclocking?: Don't know what it is but it sounds interesting, count me in.

Soulflarz

Banned
•Will you be overclocking?: Don't know what it is but it sounds interesting, count me in.

I'm no expert, but I can answer this-

Uh. In non-tech speak- you're making your thing run a little faster than the factory settings. However, with this increase, heat output goes up, so you may need extra cooling. This is a useful feature to keep your computer good a longer amount of time before it needs to be upgraded.
And I think it technically "wears it out" faster to an extent, so if you're buying very nice equipment you don't need it at the moment.

RGM79

I was going to wait around 4 years to jump into the world of PC gaming and build a nice gaming rig but was wandering if doing it now would be wise with the Amazon sale going on. Are there going to be any sales on PC parts and if so is there a list of the things I should watch out for? Don't really know what I'm doing. I was going to do tons of research myself... over the course of 4 years lol but this sale came out of nowhere. Anyway, I'll take the survey.

[Basic Desktop Questions]

•Your Current Specs: Surface Pro :p, This monitor, Cheap Speakers, Astro a50.
•Budget: Lets say $12-1500 If can be VR ready.
•Main Use: 5 gaming. I also like to play around in CAD.
•Monitor Resolution: I am fine with 1080p for now but do plan on upgrading to 1440p in the future.
•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Would LOVE to be able to play Star Citizen. 1080 60 is fine with me for now. Don't know what any of those other things are but I like bells and whistles. Also, VR if possible.
•Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't have any.
•When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? No deadline, Like I said was going to wait 4 years but was wandering about this Amazon sale so I guess anywhere between now and 4 years...

No one knows much about the Amazon Prime sale, so it's hard to say if you should decide to build a PC now instead of four years later solely because they might have good deals. I mean.. they're probably going to have a sale every year.

Star Citizen doesn't seem to have concrete requirements yet beyond very vague and basic specs. VR systems like Oculus Rift and HTC Vive already have basic requirements as a guideline, but in both cases I think it'll be a case of "the better your PC, the better the experience". You can definitely have a very nice PC for $1200~1500, but if you're fine with waiting, perhaps you shouldn't buy in before Star Citizen and VR is ready, unless you don't mind upgrading again if you really needed to.

Also, it's hard to recommend a build without knowing just how low prices will be during the sale. New Intel Skylake processors are said to be launching next month, as well. Not saying you shouldn't build now, but keep an open mind and eye for deals and whether you should wait a bit longer.

I'm no expert, but I can answer this-

Uh. In non-tech speak- you're making your thing run a little faster than the factory settings. However, with this increase, heat output goes up, so you may need extra cooling. This is a useful feature to keep your computer good a longer amount of time before it needs to be upgraded.
And I think it technically "wears it out" faster to an extent, so if you're buying very nice equipment you don't need it at the moment.

You're absolutely right. Just a little clarification about "wearing it out faster", though. Things like processors usually have fairly long lifespans if used properly. Processors usually have such good quality control that it is extremely rare to encounter a faulty or defective processor. The lifespan of a processor is probably in the 10+ year range. Technically yes, overclocking will reduce the lifespan of the part, but not by such a huge amount that the part will burn out long before it's obsolete. With decent cooling, you can keep the part working at a comfortable temperature and minimize any chance of damage or premature weardown, too. Chances are that the computer will be upgraded or replaced long before then, anyway.

This is also true of graphics cards, but they tend to have higher defect/failure rates than processors.

Soulflarz

Banned
So with the OCable Mobo and 4790k and a 980x superclocked from EVGA

uh

Can I overclock any of those with stock parts? As in, with no extra cooler? (If so, I'm guessing the GPU)

RGM79

So with the OCable Mobo and 4790k and a 980x superclocked from EVGA

uh

Can I overclock any of those with stock parts? As in, with no extra cooler? (If so, I'm guessing the GPU)

Oh, I guess I overlooked that part of your build. Yes, you'll want an aftermarket CPU heatsink if you want to overclock your CPU and/or keep it running cooler. The graphics card itself has a decent heatsink already, you won't need a different heatsink for it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Oh, I guess I overlooked that part of your build. Yes, you'll want an aftermarket CPU heatsink if you want to overclock your CPU and/or keep it running cooler. The graphics card itself has a decent heatsink already, you won't need a different heatsink for it.

Okay.

And nah, you didn't, I took it out because I thought I wasn't overclocking. If I need it, I'll buy one. I doubt I need to overclock this thing for a bit.
And if I do, that comes after buying a decent keyboard ;-;
Totally hitting my wall buying this thing. Not like I plan to buy much else :3

Kaz42

Is there any difference in graphics cards depending on who makes them? To put it better, is there a difference between a Sapphire r9 290 or a MSI 290 in terms of features, build quality or anything else?

Vuze

Hey guys, noob question. I'm in the process of installing my new CPU cooler (thanks again for the recommendations) but have to remove my motherboard first. Does it matter which SATA ports I connect my HDDs and SSDs in terms of drive letter etc? Otherwise I might have to go out and pick up some post-its or sth so I can identify them later on when reassembling the PC. Just don't want to mess anything up. Cheers!

knitoe

Hey guys, noob question. I'm in the process of installing my new CPU cooler (thanks again for the recommendations) but have to remove my motherboard first. Does it matter which SATA ports I connect my HDDs and SSDs in terms of drive letter etc? Otherwise I might have to go out and pick up some post-its or sth so I can identify them later on when reassembling the PC. Just don't want to mess anything up. Cheers!

Other then making sure the drive with the boot loader is set as first priority in the bios and SSD in Intel 6GB port, everything else doesn't matter. Windows knows which drive is which.

RGM79

Is there any difference in graphics cards depending on who makes them? To put it better, is there a difference between a Sapphire r9 290 or a MSI 290 in terms of features, build quality or anything else?

Yes, there can be, but that's down to the design of the cooler itself. Certain brands have flagship tier coolers (Gigabyte G1 Windforce, EVGA ACX2.0+, etc) often have different strengths. Gigabyte Windforce coolers tend to be large and have three fans which can make the graphics card quite long, but often have excellent cooling capability. EVGA ACX2.0+, MSI Twin Frozr, Asus Strix, etc have silent fan modes that will shut off the fans when the graphics card is at low temperature for a silent experience. There's usually a lot more variation than that, and most companies produce more than one cooler design and usually weaker graphics cards will have simpler coolers, though.

Build quality varies, but among the largest brands (EVGA/MSI/Gigabyte/etc) the build quality is generally fine, although there are a few examples of them cutting corners on the cooler design sometimes. Generally build quality isn't much of an issue to be concerned with, but occasionally things happen like fan blades breaking off or fan motors failing, usually after some time.

Other than that, it's common for graphics cards to have factory overclock settings applied to them so their default speed is slightly faster than a normal reference graphics card (the base models developed by AMD and Nvidia). Usually the factory overclock settings are somewhat conservative and careful tweaking (as well as luck) will let you overclock them to a point of even higher performance. Sometimes graphics cards simply don't overclock well though, and even factory overclock settings can be unstable. That's just silicon lottery, not all GPUs can be overclocked to the same degree due to manufacturing and quality control.

That said.. most of the time factory and custom overclocking rarely ever results in extremely high performance changes. At best you could hope for a factory overclocked graphics card to be around 10% faster than a reference model, although it can depend on the graphics card in question.

reKon

Banned
I can't believe how many people are waiting on this amazon prime sale. I mean historically, they haven't had good sales on GPU on black friday right? They never have GPU's on sale too often generally I believe. I'm being a little bit more bitter because Amazon has recently charged tax in my state so GPUs over $300 end up costing an extra $20. I just can't see Amazon discounting enough to make it worth buying for me or other individuals who are charged tax.

Arex

In the end the ddr4 ram price is a still more than the ddr3, but I still ended up getting the X99A SLI Krait + 5820k and 16gb ddr4 for about $150 more :) the 6 cores should be good for my rendering work I think!

manhack

I just realized after almost a year that I have been running Windows 8 32-bit.

I feel pretty stupid now as I haven't been utilizing all 16 gigs of RAM.

After installing Windows 8.1 64-bit installed it has been a pretty significant improvement in overall performance.

so mad at myself over this

OraleeWey

Does anyone know anything about sound cards?

I'm currently using one atm. When I bought it I specifically needed DDL to be able to use my surround sound headset. I built my PC and I didn't know I'd run into this problem at some point. No biggie. I just need a sound card that can get me DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound using Optical cable. Anyone have any ideas what I could use? I'd like to plug it into my receiver for when I want to play on my TV. This is my Surround Sound model: Yamaha RX-V373 5.1-Channel AV Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom