• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just ordered a Ncase M1 version 4. Gonna start putting some parts together for it soon. I think due to size constraints, I may take my first step into custom cables.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Belgium
the 2 singles because it's like 10 euros cheaper than the nearest 8GB cl9 kit from a respectable brand

I guess I'll keep the cpu at stock clocks for a while then:p I've never used a stock cooler before it'll be interesting to see how much noise it makes:p
Eh maybe I'll look into coolers tomorrow, I know myself I procrastinate endlessly and will end up using that noisy POS stock cooler for a year otherwise.

I've been going back n forth between an i3 +H mobo (230 euros) or an i5 + Z mobo (400 euros) as well but I guess with cpu progress at a complete halt this cpu will probably be a 6-8 year purchase... I still regret cheaping out with my phenom II and not just paying 100 euros extra at the time for an i7 920 and intel mobo.

yes - get some advice on here for coolers - just what case do you have should give an idea of how much space you have for a cooler. Much easier to do it now than removing everything to replace in a couple of months (you'll probably have to remove the entire motherboard to get to the clamp underneath unless your case gives you access)

I've got a simple question.

In a GTX 970 setup, can I use the HDMI audio to input mic audio?

I am thinking about putting a remote setup, where the PC will be some distance away from the display and I would like to know if there is a solution where I would hook up audio through the HDMI cable

daxy

I've been helping pick out parts for a new gaming PC, opinions on what's here? Ignore the listed prices, and the fact they're in AUD. And I know a better heatsink is missing.

Also a Couger Challenger case.

Thanks!

You could switch out that power supply for the suggested Seasonic M12-II Evo, maybe. That particular EVGA model isn't the greatest. Also in that price range is the Cooler Master V650, which uses reliable Seasonic components as well. Japanese capacitors, man 8) If you're planning on a multi-card setup in the future, you may want to invest in more wattage now.

Also, unless you're doing rendering, editing and processing of videos or images (which based on the limited memory you got, you do not), you should go for an i5 4690K, which has similar performance gaming-wise and invest that saved money into getting a better video card, which will have a more significant impact on visual fidelity than the i7.

I don't know what prices are like there, but Asus also has a good motherboard with built-in WiFi, so maybe that's a better option for you. It's the Z97-Pro WiFi/AC.

This comparison is quite interesting -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABt8bHgDHo

Looks like X99 is the way to go for anyone investing in a 980 Ti SLI setup. In that video, there's a performance difference of around 20-25% with an i7 5930K vs i7 4790K setup - same clocks (4.7 GHz). They tested Crysis 3, GTA V, and Witcher 3.

Makes sense, as 2x 980 Ti's would move any performance bottleneck to your CPU. Overclocked to 4.7Ghz, a 5930k is significantly faster than a 4790k in games that make use of its extra cores.

Thorgal

is it harmful long term to continuously keep switching between stock values of clockspeeds and voltage and my OC settings on my GPU ?

jfoul

I bought a reference EVGA GTX980 for $350 during Prime day. Figured I would just pick this up, and wait for the 16nm/HBM2 cards in 2016. So far, the card is performing pretty well for a reference card. It's fully stable under Firestrike, Valley, Furmark and a couple hours of playing Witcher 3.

Base Core: 1326
Boost Core: 1456
Memory @ 7692
Voltage: MV+6
Temp Full Load: 72c
Fan Curve: Aggressive

The temperature drops to 67c under full load when I have Frame Time Control set to 60. This gives me some wiggle room to fine tune my fan curve. Looking to have the fan speed at 70-75% under full load.

paskowitz

Looks like X99 is the way to go for anyone investing in a 980 Ti SLI setup. In that video, there's a performance difference of around 20-25% with an i7 5930K vs i7 4790K setup - same clocks (4.7 GHz). They tested Crysis 3, GTA V, and Witcher 3.

Welp, looks like I'll be going hex or octa core when I do my next big pc upgrade. I assume SLI Pascal would only exacerbate this.

knitoe

Just use Microsoft's and some common sense
Terrible advice. Microsoft's scores by far the worst of any antivirus software. Secondly, even trusted sites could unknowningly install malware, using "common sense" is not smart plan.

As to answering the question, Avast gets good reviews for being free.

yes - get some advice on here for coolers - just what case do you have should give an idea of how much space you have for a cooler. Much easier to do it now than removing everything to replace in a couple of months (you'll probably have to remove the entire motherboard to get to the clamp underneath unless your case gives you access)

An antec sonata III (not the biggest case)

Dude Guy

So I have some prebuilt HP PC that I bought a few years ago that I upgraded the GPU and PSU in. Windows 8.1 (OEM) AMD FX 6120, 750Ti, 10 GB RAM, 600W PSU. I won a Micro ATX case in a contest and I wanted to buy and put an LGA 1150 mobo and an i5 or i7 processor in there and gut my old computer and put its parts in the new one. IS SUCH A THING EVEN POSSIBLE? Will I have to re buy Windows? Will drivers work? Will I have to format my HDD?!

So I have some prebuilt HP PC that I bought a few years ago that I upgraded the GPU and PSU in. Windows 8.1 (OEM) AMD FX 6120, 750Ti, 10 GB RAM, 600W PSU. I won a Micro ATX case in a contest and I wanted to buy and put an LGA 1150 mobo and an i5 or i7 processor in there and gut my old computer and put its parts in the new one. IS SUCH A THING EVEN POSSIBLE? Will I have to re buy Windows? Will drivers work? Will I have to format my HDD?!

You should definitely reinstall Windows, so basically reinstall drivers and such.

You will probably not need to rebuy windows, just call support and explain that you just upgrade your hardware if your key is blocked or sth.

BShadowJ

You can go for the 960 4GB if you're really worried about it. It's only about $50 more, of which I don't know the equivalent in euros.

Yeah that one is even more expensive than the 380 4GB over here... So that's a no go :/

I mean the thing is it's incredibly hard for me to justify spending any more money than this. Should I just downgrade the card to get more vram if it's that important? Like get the R9 280 since that has 3GB of vram for example (it's the same price).

SRG01

Just had a strange experience.

I noticed that Windows had an important security update available so I installed it and restarted my pc. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro.

When Windows said getting your computer ready I noticed that the resolution was really low. After it was done and I got to the desktop the resolution was still low and my second monitor hadn't turned on.

After about 10-15 seconds the resolution bumped back up to the normal and my other monitor came on.

I noticed an Nvidia icon had been placed on my desktop.

Out of curiosity I checked recently installed programs and found out the my Nvidia drivers had just been reinstalled. It wasn't a new version. The old drivers had just been reinstalled for some reason.

I have a 980 Ti. Could this be a hardware problem? Or could the Windows update be to blame?

I've been using this system for a a few weeks now and haven't had any crashes or anything like that.

Probably the periodic Windows Experience update. Yesterday was Sunday, right?

Yeah that one is even more expensive than the 380 4GB over here... So that's a no go :/

I mean the thing is it's incredibly hard for me to justify spending any more money than this. Should I just downgrade the card to get more vram if it's that important? Like get the R9 280 since that has 3GB of vram for example (it's the same price).

In my opinion, it's honestly not that important. It's not like you're running things on ultra or very high at 1080p -- your cars won't be able to handle it with a decent fps. As long as you keep your expectations realistic for a budget system, you'd be okay.

Also, I personally game at 1280x800 windowed mode and I find that to be preferable than a higher resolution with less features.

knitoe

So I got an ssd and Install Windows on it but it don't seem fast booting up

Fresh install or clone OS? On fresh, it should be very fast bootup. If not, do you have many other drives, HDD and/or optical? Have you try benchmarking it, crystaldiskmark in OP? Also, boot time is not the important part of moving to SSD. It's the almost ZERO seek times. Thus, you computer / OS should feel much more snappy.

BShadowJ

In my opinion, it's honestly not that important. It's not like you're running things on ultra or very high at 1080p -- your cars won't be able to handle it with a decent fps. As long as you keep your expectations realistic for a budget system, you'd be okay.

Also, I personally game at 1280x800 windowed mode and I find that to be preferable than a higher resolution with less features.

Hmm ok. Like I said earlier, I'm not planning on playing recent AAA games either so I guess I'll do fine with only 2GB vram. I think I'll go for the 380 then. Thanks for all the help!

OEM license is technically tied to the motherboard, so you will need to call MS to activate it. If you tell them the old motherboard failed, they will transfer it. If this requires that you lie to them, up to you how you feel about that vs. re-buying the OS.

Myself and most others reccomend a fresh Windows install with a new MB. Personally I would do that on a partition that had been reformatted. MBs come with a driver CD to get you up and running, otherwise you can download them to a USB drive, or second HD/partition.

SLX

Banned
Why wouldn't you want to install the drivers? It's not like you have to install the application.

??? You should be able to get internet access (edit: and install drivers) without installing the Network Killer thing..? This is really odd.

edit: On your MSI driver DVD, navigate to the Network directory to get direct access to the drivers.

Well when I double click the MSI driver DVD:
N2I2pnt.png

Then from there:

LL2JJq6.png

I guess I select Intel?

EdHeHWS.png

Do I just click on the Autorun?

Or do I just follow the standard MSI UI for this?

cSeGxL3.png

SRG01

Do both the Intel and RealTek drivers. I don't know the specific Network adapter and it doesn't hurt to install both sets of drivers since Windows only uses what it needs.

Edit: Or if you're feeling adventurous, Killer Network without utility may work too. Experimentation may be in order.

Edit: try the first suggestion, and if that doesn't work, try my second suggestion.

SLX

Banned
Do both the Intel and RealTek drivers. I don't know the specific Network adapter and it doesn't hurt to install both sets of drivers since Windows only uses what it needs.

Edit: Or if you're feeling adventurous, Killer Network without utility may work too. Experimentation may be in order.

Edit: try the first suggestion, and if that doesn't work, try my second suggestion.

Sucks, cause all that Killer Network advertising seemed like a pretty sweet gimmick.

EDIT: Would you consider Live Update 6 as bloatware?

Man I wish nvidia would hurry up with the MGS5 promotion already, it's the literally the last thing I'm waiting for to push go on ordering my new build.

Now is the same true for the 5820k? Because the 5930k is still a bit pricey compared to the 4790k.

5930k = $580 (or $500 at Microcenter)

5820k = $390 (or $300 at Microcenter)

4790k = $340 (or $280 at Microcenter)

5820k and 4790k are much more comparable price-wise. I wonder if it's the extra PCIE lanes on the 5930k that makes the difference?

Wish we knew how Pascal would compare to that. I'm so close to pulling the trigger at Microcenter because I don't know how long that sale will last. Or stock. Tthere's only 1 Microcenter in Pennsylvania and I live 20 minutes away...

Fresh install or clone OS? On fresh, it should be very fast bootup. If not, do you have many other drives, HDD and/or optical? Have you try benchmarking it, crystaldiskmark in OP? Also, boot time is not the important part of moving to SSD. It's the almost ZERO seek times. Thus, you computer / OS should feel much more snappy.

fresh copy of windows 10, I will say once im on desktop, its faster loading everything up in the background. Besides the boot time, google chrome and steam do load up faster than usual.

SRG01

Sucks, cause all that Killer Network advertising seemed like a pretty sweet gimmick.

I personally uninstalled it. Just make sure you visit the product page every so often and check for updates.

knitoe

Now is the same true for the 5820k? Because the 5930k is still a bit pricey compared to the 4790k.

5820k and 4790k are much more comparable price-wise. I wonder if it's the extra PCIE lanes on the 5930k that makes the difference?

Wish we knew how Pascal would compare to that. I'm so close to pulling the trigger at Microcenter because I don't know how long that sale will last. Or stock. Tthere's only 1 Microcenter in Pennsylvania and I live 20 minutes away...
It's more likely due to 6 vs 4 CPU cores.

fresh copy of windows 10, I will say once im on desktop, its faster loading everything up in the background. Besides the boot time, google chrome and steam do load up faster than usual.
Do you have other drives? Each one adds more to your boot times. And, yes, every program on the SSD should load and be more responsive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
2 things for sale, one cross post. Tranny issue fml

8GB DDR4 3000mhz NEW - 120 shipped

Barely used and great condition G1 970's - 310 each or 600 for both. Stable OC is +130core/+330mem over and above factory OC.

Not shown is an 850 evo 250gb. Would probably sell it for 80. It's only a few months old and barely used.

xptoxyz

DDR4 seems to be sold mostly in quad-channel kits (targeted @ haswell-e?) Are dual channel kits expected to coincide with Skylake/Z170?

Trying to figure out pricing on an i5 system Haswell vs Skylake...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
DDR4 seems to be sold mostly in quad-channel kits (targeted @ haswell-e?) Are dual channel kits expected to coincide with Skylake/Z170?

Tbh, I haven't researched that.I have 16gb of that already in my Haswell-E build so the 8gb has just been laying around.

RGM79

Microcenter just has them at that price all the time. They also have CPU and motherboard bundles on perpetual sale, which can save you quite a bit. The 5820K and ASRock X99 Extreme4 together go for $440, which means the motherboard itself costs about $140 as part of that deal (normally costs around $200 by itself).

Have you figured it out? If not, this guide may prove handy.

You should be installing the Killer drivers. Your Z97M Gaming is stated to have Killer NIC rather than Intel. The disc might just include Intel because MSI probably just keeps all of their drivers on a single disc image that they don't feel like personalizing for each of their motherboard models.

MSI Live Update can be useful at first, but I hate having it stay in my system tray doing nothing. I might run through it once then uninstall. Most of the time I'd rather just download all of the latest drivers from the MSI website like I linked to you before.

Dual channel kits already exist, but yes most DDR4 is for Haswell-E and X99 at the moment. There are some X99 mATX/mITX motherboards with only 2 or 4 slots for RAM and X99 does work in dual channel mode, so there are a small selection of dual channel kits.

Athreous

I'm finally upgrading my PC after a good 4 years cycle...

I'm trying to build a good PC, with enough power to run recent games at 60 fps at max settings possible.

Also, the most important thing: - I want to play Valkyrie Profile 2 on PCSX2 Emulator at full speed, with no slow sounds and at a good native x6 internal resolution.

This is my current build:

Phenom x4 965 BE 3.2 mhz
8 gb DDR 3 1666 mhz
GTX 680 2gb 256 bits
PS Corsair 650w
Windows 10 64 bits

I don't plan to upgrade my GPU just yet, because I'm with a low budget atm...

I'm willing to spend around 600$, but if I can use less money, it'll be even better!

Thank you very much in advance and please, help me!

RGM79

I'm finally upgrading my PC after a good 4 years cycle...

I'm trying to build a good PC, with enough power to run recent games at 60 fps at max settings possible.

Also, the most important thing: - I want to play Valkyrie Profile 2 on PCSX2 Emulator at full speed, with no slow sounds and at a good native x6 internal resolution.

This is my current build:

Phenom x4 965 BE 3.2 mhz
8 gb DDR 3 1666 mhz
GTX 680 2gb 256 bits
PS Corsair 650w
Windows 10 64 bits

I don't plan to upgrade my GPU just yet, because I'm with a low budget atm...

I'm willing to spend around 600$, but if I can use less money, it'll be even better!

Thank you very much in advance and please, help me!

I think the best option for you now is to get a new CPU and motherboard. For PS2 emulation, we recommend Intel around here. You're in the US, I assume? You can probably end up spending a bit over $300 on an i5 4690K and Z97 motherboard, and you can pocket the rest or maybe spend it on something nice to have like an SSD, or save up for a new graphics card. If you were to spend the rest of the money on a new graphics card..

For under $300 (and as low as ~$245) the R9 290 is the best graphics card you can get for price-to-performance. It's a pretty decent bump up from your current GTX 680.

Athreous

I think the best option for you now is to get a new CPU and motherboard. For PS2 emulation, we recommend Intel around here. You're in the US, I assume? You can probably end up spending a bit over $300 on an i5 4690K and Z97 motherboard, and you can pocket the rest or maybe spend it on something nice to have like an SSD, or save up for a new graphics card. If you were to spend the rest of the money on a new graphics card..

For under $300 (and as low as ~$245) the R9 290 is the best graphics card you can get for price-to-performance. It's a pretty decent bump up from your current GTX 680.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a SSD!

It's a corsair 120gb, from 2 years ago, I mainly use it for OS

RGM79

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have a SSD!

It's a corsair 120gb, from 2 years ago, I mainly use it for OS

Well, if you want you can hold off on the SSD and graphics card. Just get the Intel processor and motherboard, and you'd be good to go. Maybe a cheap (<$50) aftermarket heatsink and you'll be able to overclock for extra performance down the line.

Athreous

Well, if you want you can hold off on the SSD and graphics card. Just get the Intel processor and motherboard, and you'd be good to go. Maybe a cheap (<$50) aftermarket heatsink and you'll be able to overclock for extra performance down the line.

I'm worried about the i5

How better is an i7 4770 vs an i5?

I really want to play VP2

SLX

Banned
Have you figured it out? If not, this guide may prove handy.

You should be installing the Killer drivers. Your Z97M Gaming is stated to have Killer NIC rather than Intel. The disc might just include Intel because MSI probably just keeps all of their drivers on a single disc image that they don't feel like personalizing for each of their motherboard models.

MSI Live Update can be useful at first, but I hate having it stay in my system tray doing nothing. I might run through it once then uninstall. Most of the time I'd rather just download all of the latest drivers from the MSI website like I linked to you before.

The problem with the downloads from the MSI site is I can't open the .exe file for some reason. Windows tells me its not supported or something.

Anywho I downloaded Live Update, and installed the Killer driver only, I didn't install the utility.

Then I proceeded with the chipset update, Realtek drivers, etc. Didn't install the Creative Cinema 2 or whatever that is. Then I uninstalled Live Update.

I'll let you know how it goes. Plan on trying out a few games today to check performance and temps.

Later I might reseat that CPU heatsink.

RGM79

The problem with the downloads from the MSI site is I can't open the .exe file for some reason. Windows tells me its not supported or something.

Anywho I downloaded Live Update, and installed the Killer driver only, I didn't install the utility.

Then I proceeded with the chipset update, Realtek drivers, etc. Didn't install the Creative Cinema 2 or whatever that is. Then I uninstalled Live Update.

I'll let you know how it goes. Plan on trying out a few games today to check performance and temps.

Later I might reseat that CPU heatsink.

That's weird, it shouldn't have been an .exe file at all. I linked you to the downloads page and told you to get "Killer Network Driver (driver only)", which comes in a 280KB .zip file. Here's a direct link to that file.

I think I'll join the others in recommending that you reseat the heatsink later. Good luck with your PC.

I'm worried about the i5

How better is an i7 4770 vs an i5?

I really want to play VP2

If you're only concerned about PCSX2 performance, you should know that it only uses three cores for now, the i7 processor's added hyperthreading won't make much of a difference if at all.

Edit: Did you mean i7 4770 or i7 4770K? If the latter..

The i7 4770K and i5 4690K run at the same default clock speeds (3.5GHz stock clock, 3.9GHz turbo clock). Given that PCSX2 only uses three cores and both processors run at the same clock speed, they should perform very similarly if not nearly identical for PS2 emulation.

Which one you should get depends on how much you can get the i7 4770K for, but if it comes around to be a similar cost, then the i7 4770K would be preferable in general over the i5 4690K.

ACE 1991

Any good SSD deals? Thinking about finally biting the bullet before Windows 10 drops. Thinking of getting a 120gb, seems like I can fit the OS and rotate through games that I'm currently into at this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom