• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 2. Read the OP. Rocking 2500K's until HBM2 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help needed again. Today, i got back the Gigabyte 280X as a refurbished replacement for my Gigabyte 7970. I am again running into issues, making this the potential 4th RMA experience. I was able to play dota 2 fine when I didn't stress the card at all, having everything on pretty low settings; however, once I put everything to highest quality, I get this happening: http://imgur.com/a/AjraQ

Is there something I am missing here? Could it be another component, like the Seasonic M12II 620W not providing enough power (despite the suggestion being 600 W), or is Gigabyte not handling the repair of their units correctly? Again, when I use my friend's older nvidia card (GTX 460), everything works fine.

Not sure if it will help, but did you try to undervolt the card? The 280X and its predecessors run at very high stock voltages that lead to high powerr consumption and high temperatures.

Hypron

I just ordered parts for my new PC today, by making use of "boxing day" sales:
Code:
1 x Corsair RMi SeriesT RM650i - 650 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU
1 x ASUS Z170-AR Intel Z170, DDR4, ATX, LGA1151 Motherboard
1 x Intel Skylake Core i7-6700K 4.00Ghz, 8MB, LGA1151, Unlocked Processor, No Fans
1 x ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 GeForce GTX970 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E3.0
1 x Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2666 CL16
1 x Fractal Design Define S Silent Mid Tower - Black
It cost around NZ$1,900 in total which isn't too bad.

I'm super impatient now though, I can't wait to put this together, it's going to be such a massive upgrade coming from my Phenom 2 x4/HD5850.

390 performs 1-9% better at 1080p when compared to the 970 across most modern games at stock memory/core clock. At that point it's just up to you to decide if you care more about better driver support + lower power consumption or 1-9% more frames in your games.

From all the reviews I read the 970 also generates less heat and custom models like the 970 STRIX can be way quieter than any 390 which is why I ended going for the NVIDIA card. It's kinda like slightly more perf vs literally everything else being better.

LilJoka

Help needed again. Today, i got back the Gigabyte 280X as a refurbished replacement for my Gigabyte 7970. I am again running into issues, making this the potential 4th RMA experience. I was able to play dota 2 fine when I didn't stress the card at all, having everything on pretty low settings; however, once I put everything to highest quality, I get this happening: http://imgur.com/a/AjraQ

Is there something I am missing here? Could it be another component, like the Seasonic M12II 620W not providing enough power (despite the suggestion being 600 W), or is Gigabyte not handling the repair of their units correctly? Again, when I use my friend's older nvidia card (GTX 460), everything works fine.

Install MSI afterburner. Reduce the GPU Core CLock to -100Mhz, and the Memory clock to -100Mhz.

See how it performs. MSI AB will log the temperatures of the GPU, please post how hot the GPU gets.

You might want to clean the drivers too with Display Driver Uninstaller
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Then install the latest drivers for AMD.

You're gonna have to contact the company that makes your PSU for replacement cables, or you can get a new power supply. It can be considered unsafe to power things off molex adaptors if it draws more than the 12V rail that supplies one of the power cables to the molex, meaning it becomes overloaded. A decent power supply will shut itself down to prevent damage, worse ones can die or even blow.

All of those parts should be compatible. Not sure if you've tried what I'm about to suggest, so I might as well say it: Make sure all of the cables are plugged in and tightly connected, unplug them and replug them to be sure. It could be the power supply. Try the paper clip test to see if it turns on. If it works, then the next likely thing is the motherboard. Unfortunately your motherboard doesn't seem to have a status LED going by what the manual says, so it's a bit difficult to tell if your motherboard is dead or not.
Thank you!

Not sure if there is a PC peripheral thread on gaf but I need a new headset so here it goes.

I want a new headset, preferably in the $50-$70 price range. I recently got the SteelSeries Siberia v3 but they are way too small, it actually squeezes my head and I have to take them off every hour or so. I was quite surprised that they are nonadjustable to be honest.

I would say to me comfort is more important than sound or mic quality, although having a decent sound/mic is important too.

I needed a new headset a couple months ago, ended up with the Kingston Hyperx Cloud and am quite pleased. Was around $50 on sale. There is a Cloud II USB model as well, but after my experience with Coursair's drivers, I wanted to stick to analog.

I have a fairly small head though, so YMMV, but they are pretty adjustable.

dareacher

Banned
quick question on my quest for 4k gaming. Should i purchase specifically a 4k pc monitor or stick to my 65 inch tv? other than the conveniance of a smaller screen for my setup is there a downside of gaming on my tv?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
quick question on my quest for 4k gaming. Should i purchase specifically a 4k pc monitor or stick to my 65 inch tv? other than the conveniance of a smaller screen for my setup is there a downside of gaming on my tv?
Is your 65" only 1080p? Have you ever played games on it? If so then you know how it feels in that space.

I don't think that there is a downside. You may actually benefit a bit from better picture quality since you're shrinking 4K to 1080p (assuming that you're using some kind of "dynamic super resolution" or GeDoSaTo type of thing).

It may not have as much resolution, but if the TV has been fine for you so far, then there shouldn't be a problem.

So my second g700 mouse just finally crapped out on me (side buttons popped off). Thinking about getting another one, but it'd probably only last about a year or so again. Don't want a Naga or Naga-esque mouse (I've played with them in stores and don't really like them), but I need at least 5-6 (ideally around 8) secondary buttons for playing WoW. g700s has 8, not including right-middle/scroll-left.

Any suggestions?

Otherwise I just resign myself to buying another g700s and getting the warranty on my current one for a backup replacement when I can find the receipt.

KiraFA37

So my old screen, a hp2311x, has gotten some dead pixels and I'm looking for a replacement. I'm currently eyeing the Asus VG248QE or its bigger brother the Asus VG278HE. Does anybody have these screens and if so how is the image? Also looking for alternatives, budget is 200-300 euros but I could be tempted to pay more, not necessarily looking for high refresh screens as the Asus ones.

UnrealEck

Just replaced my CPU (i7 920 3.8GHz) with a 6700K at 4.5GHz.
GTAV's utilisation of my 980 Ti went from in the 55-75% range to a constant 97-99% range.
Such a huge difference. The Z170 platform is really nice too. Overclocking these CPUs and the memory is so easy compared to the old X58 stuff I came from.

Erebus

I'm on mobile otherwise I'd look up parts for you, but I'm still somewhat sure an i5 4460, H81 or B85 motherboard, and 8GB of DDR3 should be cheaper than an i5 6600K, Z170 motherboard, and 8GB of DDR4. I apologize of it isn't, I haven't had time to look at the retailer you linked at.

Edit:
i5 4460 for 193 Euros
http://www.skroutz.gr/s/4857199/Inte...-4460-Box.html

Asrock B85M-HDS R2.0 for 58 Euros
http://www.skroutz.gr/s/7483111/Asro...-HDS-R2-0.html

Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB DDR3 for 38 Euros
http://www.skroutz.gr/s/4060032/Cruc...169DS3CEU.html

Those parts would be very cost effective if she has no desire to overclock. You say she doesn't upgrade her computer for a long time, so it would not be an issue going with Haswell parts instead of Skylake. By the time she would need new parts again, Skylake would be discontinued and there would be a new line of incompatible consumer computer parts. It's true that Skylake offers maybe 10~20% higher performance (depending on what's being compared) but if the Q6600 was enough and she only plays those games you mentioned the Haswell is more than good enough to last her for several years.
Many thanks.

I'll look into it after Christmas and post again if I need any more help.

Cartman86

Banned
You're gonna have to contact the company that makes your PSU for replacement cables, or you can get a new power supply. It can be considered unsafe to power things off molex adaptors if it draws more than the 12V rail that supplies one of the power cables to the molex, meaning it becomes overloaded. A decent power supply will shut itself down to prevent damage, worse ones can die or even blow.

All of those parts should be compatible. Not sure if you've tried what I'm about to suggest, so I might as well say it: Make sure all of the cables are plugged in and tightly connected, unplug them and replug them to be sure. It could be the power supply. Try the paper clip test to see if it turns on. If it works, then the next likely thing is the motherboard. Unfortunately your motherboard doesn't seem to have a status LED going by what the manual says, so it's a bit difficult to tell if your motherboard is dead or not.

The fans I have plugged into the motherboard (and the GPU when I had that plugged in at first) all spin. Could it still be a power supply issue in that is the case?

Just replaced my CPU (i7 920 3.8GHz) with a 6700K at 4.5GHz.
GTAV's utilisation of my 980 Ti went from in the 55-75% range to a constant 97-99% range.
Such a huge difference. The Z170 platform is really nice too. Overclocking these CPUs and the memory is so easy compared to the old X58 stuff I came from.

I went from X58 to X99 and an i7-5820K @ 4.3 and the QoL improvements are really nice. I never thought I would like a mouse clickable GUI BIOS that much. Going from SATA2 to SATA3 was super amazing too, I've been holding my SSDs back all these years.

Jharp

Build finished and posted at first boot, always a good feeling. Now it's time for cable management, and this is just about as good as I can do. I always forget how much I hate cable management. Only thing that worries me is the HDD and SSD power cables on the bottom right pressing up against the case side panel. Hopefully that won't fuck up my power connector on the HDD over time.
94JGrX5.jpg

EDIT: Well, FUCK. I'm getting a S.M.A.R.T. status bad on my WD Black 2TB hard drive. It's not the boot drive I'm installing Windows to, and it obviously has nothing on it, but this is still a pain in the ass. Few things to note here-
1. The SATA III cable connecting the drive to my motherboard is loose. Like, it's not even snapping when I attach it and it practically falls off when touched. Not sure if it's the drive connector or the cable, but I think it's the cable.
2. The cables connecting to the drive are tightly pressed against the case side panel when I put the side panel on.
3. The drive cages in this case (Corsair 750D) are pretty shit. The HDD in particular had to be forced extremely hard to fit in with the way the tabs worked.

Before I assume the drive itself is simply dead, do you guys think it could be any of these factors?

RGM79

Build finished and posted at first boot, always a good feeling. Now it's time for cable management, and this is just about as good as I can do. I always forget how much I hate cable management. Only thing that worries me is the HDD and SSD power cables on the bottom right pressing up against the case side panel. Hopefully that won't fuck up my power connector on the HDD over time.

EDIT: Well, FUCK. I'm getting a S.M.A.R.T. status bad on my WD Black 2TB hard drive. It's not the boot drive I'm installing Windows to, and it obviously has nothing on it, but this is still a pain in the ass. Few things to note here-
1. The SATA III cable connecting the drive to my motherboard is loose. Like, it's not even snapping when I attach it and it practically falls off when touched. Not sure if it's the drive connector or the cable, but I think it's the cable.
2. The cables connecting to the drive are tightly pressed against the case side panel when I put the side panel on.
3. The drive cages in this case (Corsair 750D) are pretty shit. The HDD in particular had to be forced extremely hard to fit in with the way the tabs worked.

Before I assume the drive itself is simply dead, do you guys think it could be any of these factors?

Try another cable. Without it pressing against the case panel. With the hard drive not installed into the drive cage.

kikonawa

It could be your mobo you know

I recently bought a Rosewill 10" SATA3 cable and it would not click into a SATA2 port on my mobo. So now it's sitting there loose.

It DID click into the mobo's two SATA3 ports, which I have disabled in the BIOS since that Marvell SATA controller sucks.

Are there any decent recovery services for harddrives?

I don't hear any clicking...but I can't even look at anything in the harddrive without it telling me its corrupted

RGM79

I recently bought a Rosewill 10" SATA3 cable and it would not click into a SATA2 port on my mobo. So now it's sitting there loose.

It DID click into the mobo's two SATA3 ports, which I have disabled in the BIOS since that Marvell SATA controller sucks.

Some older SATA port designs don't have a locking connector. It just stays plugged in with tension. As long as nothing causes the cable to become disconnected, it'll be fine.

Logitech G502 for $60 seems like a good price, yes?

It's okay, not the best price it's ever been. Looking at this link it's been $60 in the past quite frequently, occasionally dropping to $40 in the last few weeks.

I was generously gifted a $50 Amazon gift card this Christmas Eve. I went ahead and ordered an LG WH16NS40 BD RW drive. I'm pumped. Time to retire my PS3 and use my PC to watch my Criterions in all their glory.

I plan on using VLC for BD playback unless anyone else has any superior (free/cheap) suggestions.

RGM79

Thanks, it's CAD so I think I'll bite.

Oh sorry, I had no idea. I assumed USD because the majority of users in this thread are American. I've seen some Canadian retailers like London Drugs have the similar Logitech G402 for $40 from some retailers for recent sales, if you want a cheaper deal.

I was generously gifted a $50 Amazon gift card this Christmas Eve. I went ahead and ordered an LG WH16NS40 BD RW drive. I'm pumped. Time to retire my PS3 and use my PC to watch my Criterions in all their glory.

I plan on using VLC for BD playback unless anyone else has any superior (free/cheap) suggestions.
VLC won't be able to play back commerial BDs. Unless the drive comes with software, you will need to get one of the players listed here.

Jharp

Try another cable. Without it pressing against the case panel. With the hard drive not installed into the drive cage.

I'm not sure I can have it NOT press against the case side panel. That's just kind of the way the case is designed with how big the drive is and how close the cage is to the side panel.

Hi GAF. Lightning struck my PC rendering my mobo useless. I am planning on using this opportunity to upgrade to Skylake (was using a i5 3450). I was looking at getting a i7 6700K but I read that some mobo manufacturers have found a way to unlock the multipliers to allow for overclocking on the non-K versions on of the the Intel chipsets. Should I rather just save my cash and go for the i7 6700 then? Oh, and this is the motherboard which I am planning to get:
Asus Z170-K
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813132570

Jharp

Alright, after the first time I got the S.M.A.R.T. warning about my HDD, I haven't seen it since. Just to be safe, I switched out cables, and still haven't gotten a warning. Am I safe? It's my main storage drive, so I want to transfer a good 400-ish GB of stuff onto it, but I'd hate for it to fail soon after I do so.

knitoe

Alright, after the first time I got the S.M.A.R.T. warning about my HDD, I haven't seen it since. Just to be safe, I switched out cables, and still haven't gotten a warning. Am I safe? It's my main storage drive, so I want to transfer a good 400-ish GB of stuff onto it, but I'd hate for it to fail soon after I do so.

WD should have software to test and show the HDD health. Also, the HDDs connectors should be facing the other way so you can run and hide the cables behind the MB tray. You should try to route all the cables coming from the PSU through the closest 2 holes with the plastic covering, and thus, hiding them behind the MB. Then, you thread the wires through the closest openings to whatever connectors you are using. This would make your wire management much cleaner.

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my new PC. It's a skylake i7 6700k with this motherboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530&dl=#ov
and this ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231941

When I selected XMP for it to run at 3200mhz I kept getting bios errors till I deselected it. I downloaded the latest bios for the board and then it started working fine for like 2 days. And then again it started giving bios errors. I've emailed Gigabyte as well but thought I'd ask here if anyone had any advice on what I can do. This is the first time I'm using XMP so not really sure how to go about this. Here's a pic of what my ram bios settings looked like with XMP on:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/xRi2xij.jpg[/img]

Thanks!

RGM79

I'm not sure I can have it NOT press against the case side panel. That's just kind of the way the case is designed with how big the drive is and how close the cage is to the side panel.

Oh, now I see. You installed the hard drive backwards. The plugs are supposed to be facing the other side of the case. See here for an example. That's why it was so tight and difficult to install.

whats a good simple build for 300 dollars. No need for OS. This will not be used for gaming but for day to day use.
This should more than suffice.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($50.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($17.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $248.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-25 01:59 EST-0500

Depending on what you're doing with the PC, an AMD APU system might be preferable.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($51.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($17.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $265.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-25 02:04 EST-0500

This PC has stronger graphics performance but somewhat weaker CPU performance.

Hi GAF. Lightning struck my PC rendering my mobo useless. I am planning on using this opportunity to upgrade to Skylake (was using a i5 3450). I was looking at getting a i7 6700K but I read that some mobo manufacturers have found a way to unlock the multipliers to allow for overclocking on the non-K versions on of the the Intel chipsets. Should I rather just save my cash and go for the i7 6700 then? Oh, and this is the motherboard which I am planning to get:
Asus Z170-K
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813132570

Non-K overclocking is still mostly unknown at this point. What we know so far is that only ASRock motherboards have the ability to overclock non-K processors on their Z170 motherboards. Support from other manufacturers is coming but ASRock is the first on the scene.

For the sake of ease of use, the i7 6700K would be preferable but you probably know how expensive it is. Is there a reason you need the i7 6700K? What will you be doing with the PC?

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my new PC. It's a skylake i7 6700k with this motherboard:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530&dl=#ov
and this ram:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231941

When I selected XMP for it to run at 3200mhz I kept getting bios errors till I deselected it. I downloaded the latest bios for the board and then it started working fine for like 2 days. And then again it started giving bios errors. I've emailed Gigabyte as well but thought I'd ask here if anyone had any advice on what I can do. This is the first time I'm using XMP so not really sure how to go about this. Here's a pic of what my ram bios settings looked like with XMP on:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/xRi2xij.jpg[/img]

Thanks!

Check the lowest user review on Newegg for your motherboard, someone else had the exact same issue you had with the exact same RAM. I'd link it, but Newegg doesn't allow linking to individual review. He details very thoroughly what he did to get it working. Here's a screenshot I took of his review in case you can't find it.

Check the lowest user review on Newegg for your motherboard, someone else had the exact same issue you had with the exact same RAM. I'd link it, but Newegg doesn't allow linking to individual review. He details very thoroughly what he did to get it working. Here's a screenshot I took of his review in case you can't find it.

Ah, thanks man. I guess there's a compatibility issue for sure then. Ugh, I should've researched this more before buying these sticks. Oh well, guess I have to wait for a bios update that fixes this. I'll email both gigabyte and gskill just in case.

slapnuts

I really feel people wanting to buy a video card right now that want to have last for a couple of years, which are the majority of PC gamers, are very very much making a bad decision in going with a Nvidia 970 right now. I bring this up because of its 3.5gb of usable ram and some other more subtle perks that favor AMD cards right now.

Right now games are now at that tipping point of breaking that 4gb barrier, even at someone gaming at 1080p, 3.5gb of video ram is simply on the brink of overloading and cause some kind of hiccup either by having to gimp your gfx settings or lowering resolution.

Personally i been one of those buyers of both the green team and red team with zero prejudice towards withe green or red but i feel with great emphasis in warning those looking for a gfx card right now to either hold on to what you got and wait for the true next gen cards coming out in the latter part of 2016 or really looking at what AMD has to offer.

I would say without doubt that AMD has, by far, the best bang for the buck card with the AMD r9 390 8gb card. If you're looking to buy a card now and want your investment to last a few years at 1080p or 2k resolutions...you cannot go wrong with a R9 390 right now. It's a killer bargain for what you get.

I been playing a lot of PC games and noticed quite a few games are now inching to that 4gb threshold and soon-to-be games going over that 4gb threshold. I only bring this up because i see person after person keep pushing that 970 in here and it makes my stomach turn a bit because its not wise advice at all. In no way am i trying to make someone feel insecure with their already-purchased 970...you can always sell it and upgrade to the next gen cards coming in the 2nd half of 2016 but those that own a 970 and push it as advice to others are doing a disservice to those looking to invest in a card that want to make it last a few years and YES they're more in PC gaming that do make a 300 dollar card last a few years than those that upgrade their card yearly...the biggest group of PC gamers are those that buy "performance" video cards than those that spend big $$$ on "enthusiasts" level cards.

So folks, if you are looking for a video card right now....please do more research on this, take a hint from current day games already starting to edge over that 4gb mark and don't let green or red bias hold you back. Most people always recommended their brand of choice or what they already purchased instead of being completely unbiased and fair about what they recommend. Look ...AMD always seems to hit that price per performance ratio pretty good and besides..If i had to put big money on the longevity on current cards..I would bet my last dollar this R9 390 is going to grow long legs and mature nice into one heck of a card like just about any bang for the buck AMD card seems to do at least once per gen series of cards.

PS - Amazon had a bunch of new cards with dented boxes of these cards for 279.99 over the last week..most been snapped up but if you're looking..keep an eye out for that and make sure to click the "used" link because these new cards in dented boxes are sold by Amazon under the "used" link even though they are actually new.

slapnuts

One last thing, from my previous reply above.

If you look at say...downsampling resolutions to gain better image quality...here is a good example why the Nvidia 970 simply isn't wise advice to give those looking to buy a new video card because of its semi-gimped vram. Like i said above in my previous reply...going with the R9 390 is truly the best bang for the buck right now.

Below are using Shadow of Mordor in-game downsampling/virtual resolutions the game offers in its gfx settings to achieve better image quality.

As you see..the GTX 970 gets hit by its 3.5gb of vram in terms of performance.

mordor-geforce.gif

And here is AMD's latest offerings with downsampling resolutions to gain better IQ.

mordor-390x-furyx.gif

A bit more read here http://techreport.com/blog/28800/how-much-video-memory-is-enough

One last thing, from my previous reply above.

If you look at say...downsampling resolutions to gain better image quality...here is a good example why the Nvidia 970 simply isn't wise advice to give those looking to buy a new video card because of its semi-gimped vram. Like i said above in my previous reply...going with the R9 390 is truly the best bang for the buck right now.

Below are using Shadow of Mordor in-game downsampling/virtual resolutions the game offers in its gfx settings to achieve better image quality.

As you see..the GTX 970 gets hit by its 3.5gb of vram in terms of performance.

mordor-geforce.gif

And here is AMD's latest offerings with downsampling resolutions to gain better IQ.

mordor-390x-furyx.gif

A bit more read here http://techreport.com/blog/28800/how-much-video-memory-is-enough

Who is going to run >4k with a 970?

Hi, RGM79. The PC will be used mostly for gaming, hey. Let's say I can afford to go for the 6700K as I already have a decent PC at hand (970, 256GB SSD, and 1TB HDD). I was thinking that maybe I can just go for the 6700 rather and go for 16GB of decent gaming RAM? What do you think? Thanks for the reply, btw:).

Terra

I went all in today. It burnt a hole in my wallet. But I have been saving for years.
But at least I am revved up now. And happy. Finally saying goodbye to my I7-960 from 2009! Yay!

Got myself the following:
i7 6700k @ 4,0 ghz unlocked
MSI m5 gaming mother board
2x8 Red Vengeance LPX RAM DDR4 2666mhz
MSI GTX 980 4Gb

I use my PC for gaming only, 1080p on my TV. Comfy couch gaming with Xbone controller.
I can expect pretty much all games to run pretty good with this rig, right?

Now to the boring and hard stuff. To get this stuff together and up and running.
I am using my old Cooler Master Cosmos Case.

LilJoka

I really feel people wanting to buy a video card right now that want to have last for a couple of years, which are the majority of PC gamers, are very very much making a bad decision in going with a Nvidia 970 right now. I bring this up because of its 3.5gb of usable ram and some other more subtle perks that favor AMD cards right now.

Right now games are now at that tipping point of breaking that 4gb barrier, even at someone gaming at 1080p, 3.5gb of video ram is simply on the brink of overloading and cause some kind of hiccup either by having to gimp your gfx settings or lowering resolution.

Personally i been one of those buyers of both the green team and red team with zero prejudice towards withe green or red but i feel with great emphasis in warning those looking for a gfx card right now to either hold on to what you got and wait for the true next gen cards coming out in the latter part of 2016 or really looking at what AMD has to offer.

I would say without doubt that AMD has, by far, the best bang for the buck card with the AMD r9 390 8gb card. If you're looking to buy a card now and want your investment to last a few years at 1080p or 2k resolutions...you cannot go wrong with a R9 390 right now. It's a killer bargain for what you get.

I been playing a lot of PC games and noticed quite a few games are now inching to that 4gb threshold and soon-to-be games going over that 4gb threshold. I only bring this up because i see person after person keep pushing that 970 in here and it makes my stomach turn a bit because its not wise advice at all. In no way am i trying to make someone feel insecure with their already-purchased 970...you can always sell it and upgrade to the next gen cards coming in the 2nd half of 2016 but those that own a 970 and push it as advice to others are doing a disservice to those looking to invest in a card that want to make it last a few years and YES they're more in PC gaming that do make a 300 dollar card last a few years than those that upgrade their card yearly...the biggest group of PC gamers are those that buy "performance" video cards than those that spend big $$$ on "enthusiasts" level cards.

So folks, if you are looking for a video card right now....please do more research on this, take a hint from current day games already starting to edge over that 4gb mark and don't let green or red bias hold you back. Most people always recommended their brand of choice or what they already purchased instead of being completely unbiased and fair about what they recommend. Look ...AMD always seems to hit that price per performance ratio pretty good and besides..If i had to put big money on the longevity on current cards..I would bet my last dollar this R9 390 is going to grow long legs and mature nice into one heck of a card like just about any bang for the buck AMD card seems to do at least once per gen series of cards.

PS - Amazon had a bunch of new cards with dented boxes of these cards for 279.99 over the last week..most been snapped up but if you're looking..keep an eye out for that and make sure to click the "used" link because these new cards in dented boxes are sold by Amazon under the "used" link even though they are actually new.

Give us the list of games struggling with 3.5Gb vram vs a 4gb AMD card, excluding over 1440p.

Subtle perks of a 970:
Overclocked it matches/beats a 980
Quieter and cooler
Lower heat output
Shadow play
Physx
HBAO+, Gameworks etc

The AMD people literally cannot let go of the 3.5 GB thing. It's like the Benghazi of video cards at this point.

No one cares about 3.5 GB. Meanwhile the 970 accounts for 4% of all video cards by itself on the Steam Hardware Survey for a reason. Maybe it really does have 4 GB of VRAM (it actually does, the last 512 MB is just really slow), that explains why it's 4% of all video cards.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Yes, there are more people on Steam who use 970 than the Intel HD Graphics 4000 included with literally every single laptop which uses Ivy Bridge (Core i3/5/7-3000 series).

LilJoka

The AMD people literally cannot let go of the 3.5 GB thing. It's like the Benghazi of video cards at this point.

No one cares about 3.5 GB. Meanwhile the 970 accounts for 4% of all video cards by itself on the Steam Hardware Survey for a reason. Maybe it really does have 4 GB of VRAM (it actually does, the last 512 MB is just really slow), that explains why it's 4% of all video cards.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

Yes, there are more people on Steam who use 970 than the Intel HD Graphics 4000 included with literally every single laptop which uses Ivy Bridge (Core i3/5/7-3000 series).

I was one of them, but Batman AK, GTA V and Witcher 3 were my big concerns, none of which materialised.
I did extensive testing with my own 970 and found no issue. Even when you end up using that last 512MB, the overall fps are so shit that it becomes irrelevant. This card is king for 1080p60.

It's also hilarious that according to the same AMD people, 3.5 GB is somehow crippling the 970 and it will soon be unplayable in games but 4 GB on the Fury X is perfectly OK even when running 4K resolutions in games today and down the road. Cognitive dissonance is one hell of a drug.

The 970 was and is a fine card. I dunno if I'd recommend it from a value/money standpoint over a 290, but people should not really be worrying about the 3.5gb thing if they find a good deal on it. It took a team of the country's best forensic analysts to even figure out whether or not the last 512mb was slow when the first rumours hit about it.

UnrealEck

New motherboard, CPU and RAM.
One ear of my cherished PC350 headset died. Damnit. More money to shell out I suppose. But they were quite old.

Any reccomendations on a good set of headphones (don't really need a mic).
I think I've become a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy. But I've been reading good things about Audio-Technica, Hi-Fi man, Sony, Grado, Philips, Stax, Beyerdynamics and AKG.

I was thinking of getting some HD500 (probably HD598) series since they seem to be very similar but I'm wondering if there's anything better in the same price range. I might even save for the HD600 series if they'd be worth it, but they would need to be excellent for games too.
I saw the Audio-Technica ADG1 which look good but they seem like they're just the AD700X with a mic attached at a much higher price.

The 4570 in my current htpc is really starting to piss me off with its aging and loud fan.. I need a new low profile VGA recommendation to replace that. Something that will not use much power, preferrably passively cooled, and can enable 720p gaming for last gen titles would be great. I would rather stick with AMD if possible.. Recommendations GAF?

Hey guys Im new to pc gaming and Im sorry if this is a dumb question but what's the difference between say a MSI GeForce GTX 970 and a EVGA GTX 970? Are they the same graphics card but with just different branding?

Hey guys Im new to pc gaming and Im sorry if this is a dumb question but what's the difference between say a MSI GeForce GTX 970 and a EVGA GTX 970? Are they the same graphics card but with just different branding?

More or less. There may be differences in terms of what kind of cooling solution they have or whether or not they're overclocked out of the box, but other than that performance should be about equal. For me, the main thing I look for is how long the warranty is and whether or not there are reliability issues with a specific brand.

More or less. There may be differences in terms of what kind of cooling solution they have or whether or not they're overclocked out of the box, but other than that performance should be about equal. For me, the main thing I look for is how long the warranty is and whether or not there are reliability issues with a specific brand.

Thanks for the information!

UnrealEck

The GPU is exactly the same and made by nVidia. The PCB and all the components (the 'card') on it though are MSI and EVGA's own design. Essentially the biggest difference between vendors are things like power delivery and the cooler.
You can't really go wrong with MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, Asus, Zotac, Galax, Palit or a bunch of others.
Most of the benchmarks testing cooling isn't necessarily going to give you a completely accurate representation of what's a better cooler either because even that can have minor variances.
Do a bit of research on one you like the look of (and if it matters, costs less) and check if it's got any problems. If not, buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom