• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyborg009

Banned
How do you know it's a power related issue? The internal fan on the power supply is usually the air intake, and most cases are designed to have the fan facing down now. This gives the PSU it's own thermal intake/outlet path, and is usually plenty good for cooling the PSU. Unless the case is sitting on carpet, or the power supply is undersized or failing, you should not be experiencing power supply problems due to this.

If you are sure the cutouts are power related, you probably either need a new power supply, or, if you are experiencing power quality issues (whole house has lights flickering / appliances resetting), then you probably need a UPS or something to mitigate that.

Yea it started happening after I clean the vent filter where the power supply was located. I also unconnected the power cord since I need to do that to get the filter.

vector824

Your Current Specs: I have none, I do have a 2.5 750GB Hard Drive though.

Budget: $1400

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii/Wii U) 4, Video Editing 1, Streaming games in HD 3, 3D/Model work (and what program) 1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 5.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p... maybe 4K. I have a 1080p monitor for now. Use the 1tb HDD for backup.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I would like to run most games at 60fps... not sure what a good PC benchmark game is for reference.

Looking to reuse any parts?: just the hard drive.

You can get in for way under $1400. Saw the mITX builds that were put together for you. This is a larger computer, will still run anything at 1080p on ULTRA over 60fps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($236.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($259.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan ($7.99 @ Directron)
Total: $992.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-21 16:45 EDT-0400

Now if you want to start looking at 4k go for a 1080 GPU. But you're going to have to buy a monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($236.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.53 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($644.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1377.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-21 16:46 EDT-0400

hey guys, just installed a fresh copy of Windows.

what's that site again with all the quick links to install all of the fundamental programs? starts with a 'z' or something I think.

Ocho

Do you guys install many drivers when you get a new build or just the GPU drivers?

I've been installing only the GPU drivers for years now and still no problems. Do you guys encounter issues without other drivers?

If audio and ethernet works, I'm good to go.

Do you guys install many drivers when you get a new build or just the GPU drivers?

I've been installing only the GPU drivers for years now and still no problems. Do you guys encounter issues without other drivers?

I always install the mobo drivers... which usually covers chipset, audio, sometimes usb-specific stuff and whatnot.

LilJoka

Chipset
Lan
USB 3
GPU
Bluetooth/wifi if it's onboard

That's usually it.

Went ahead and ordered a fury nitro to replace me 290x.

Not the best replacement, but I have a freesync monitor and I got tired of jet engine noise and temps.

Temps got up to 90+ lately.

Sure, I could clean it, but I'm wary of the first gen vega anyways.

Pretty sad when you have to limit frames to 60 on a 144hz monitor to keep me from annoyed to death from the triple turbine of which was me card.

I was all about to hit the order button on a 1070 before I realized that the memory was gimped after reading the 1070 threads. Fuck paying 400 hundo on that. Specially forgoing freesynce.

Will have to see how well 4gb vram sticks on 1440p.

DBT85

Just started ripping some BluRays and noticed that my 6700k was only hitting 4ghz. Somehow I forgot to get overclocking again after the water build settled down! Had to root through this thread to find the settings I had stable on air.

Doh.

b0bbyJ03

Hey all, I typically use DDU to clean out my drivers before every driver update and I create a restore point, boot into safe mode, run DDU, and boot make into normal mode. Its always worked and its easy to tell that the drivers got uninstalled because the resolution will be very low until i install the new driver but today its not working. Every time I run DDU it just goes back to running at regular resolution when I boot back into normal mode and the Nvidia control panel is still there. Anyone know whats going on? is this just on my end or has there been some kind of Windows update that prevents me from fully uninstalling the driver properly? Thanks.

Hey GAF, my friend wants upgrade his CPU in his PC he built a year and half ago. He wants to stick with a AMD CPU, as he's on a budget, and upgrade from a FX-6300. He's willing to spend $150 on a new CPU. Any suggestions?

I got my CPU and motherboard replaced and after that my computer turned on but had to readjust the Motherboard and I/O shield because I couldn't plug my HDMI.

Now my computer is not turning back on again, only the Mouse light and the light in front of the case stays on. Not even the led light on the fan turns on even for a split second.

I made sure everything is plugged back in.

Yea it started happening after I clean the vent filter where the power supply was located. I also unconnected the power cord since I need to do that to get the filter.

Possible that you have a loose connection somewhere?

After some research, I've discovered that most GTX 1060s are affected by coil whine... not sure what to do.

If research is reading any type of user review online, it seems most cards these days are affected by coil whine. Just buy from someplace that has decent return policies and take advantage if it's too terrible.

Hey GAF, my friend wants upgrade his CPU in his PC he built a year and half ago. He wants to stick with a AMD CPU, as he's on a budget, and upgrade from a FX-6300. He's willing to spend $150 on a new CPU. Any suggestions?

Just tell him to save his money for Zen or an Intel cpu. Not trying to be snarky or anything, but its for the best, the upgrade to an 8 core fx is not really worth it. Maybe overclock in the meantime.

I got my CPU and motherboard replaced and after that my computer turned on but had to readjust the Motherboard and I/O shield because I couldn't plug my HDMI.

Now my computer is not turning back on again, only the Mouse light and the light in front of the case stays on. Not even the led light on the fan turns on even for a split second.

I made sure everything is plugged back in.

oy vey. so your mouse is lighting up, and the pwr led lights but nothing else? but before that your computer booted up? Make sure you got the right 4+4 power header going into the mobo. Reinstall the pwr, hd, reset jumpers. Maybe try taking out the io shield again.

DBT85

Hope someone can help.

I'm ripping some of my Blu rays and I cannot for the life of me get CouchPotato to rename them and move them where they need to go. It just created a .ignore file with the following text inside

Code:
This file is from CouchPotato
It has marked this release as "unknown"
This file hides the release from the renamer
Remove it if you want it to be renamed (again, or at least let it try again)

edit: I've tried renaming the file in different ways but I'm clearly missing something.

fml. I put the wrong year in. Plex worked it all out with no issues lol.

kakashi08

MOBO:
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155

why do they change the sockets. Why can't we use the same motherboard and just change the CPU/GPU.
If you gonna replace the motherboard, might as well do a brand new desktop. Just use the same case.

Current Setup:
GTX 780
i7-3770k
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 2.5" 128GB
HDD seagate 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Thinking about keeping the case/hdd/sdd and get everthing else new. Saves me about couple hundred using the same SSD. Is that ssd gonna be slower cuz its old or is it still good for next couple years?

Also what about the PSU, will this power supply unit be good for the new GTX 1080 with new ram/etc I need, other than the case. This is my current PSU from 4 years ago. I think thats when i got the 780.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Bloodember

MOBO:

why do they change the sockets. Why can't we use the same motherboard and just change the CPU/GPU.
If you gonna replace the motherboard, might as well do a brand new desktop. Just use the same case.

Current Setup:
GTX 780
i7-3770k

Thinking about keeping the case/hdd/sdd and get everthing else new. Saves me about couple hundred using the same SSD. Is that ssd gonna be slower cuz its old or is it still good for next couple years?

Also what about the PSU, will this power supply unit be good for the new GTX 1080 with new ram/etc I need, other than the case. This is my current PSU from 4 years ago. I think thats when i got the 780.
They change sockets because of new technologies, change in size of the silicone and chipsets.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Ok I am still rocking the system mkenyon built for me back in 2013. It is still purring like a kitten and I have no complaints.

I am gonna have some bonus money coming up soon, so I figure... 3 years, maybe an upgrade.

Here is my setup... what upgrade will give me the most bang for my buck? Assuming video card.

3570K @ 4.4GHz, 1.21V
MSI Z77 MPower
Gigabyte GTX 670 @ 1180MHz
Fractal Define R4 Titanium
Crucial M4 256GB
Seagate 1TB Drive
Corsair H60
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600, 1.35V

Ok I am still rocking the system mkenyon built for me back in 2013. It is still purring like a kitten and I have no complaints.

I am gonna have some bonus money coming up soon, so I figure... 3 years, maybe an upgrade.

Here is my setup... what upgrade will give me the most bang for my buck? Assuming video card.

3570K @ 4.4GHz, 1.21V
MSI Z77 MPower
Gigabyte GTX 670 @ 1180MHz
Fractal Define R4 Titanium
Crucial M4 256GB
Seagate 1TB Drive
Corsair H60
Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600, 1.35V

Video card, then RAM plus a more aggressive cpu overclock.

Dio

Banned
And there we go.

Everything except the case, the CPU, the CPU cooler and the m.2 are here now. (I don't need the M.2 to do the setup since you can get things ready without actually getting the boot drive/OS set up.)

Coming home to see the Noctua package leaning against my apartment door is always relieving. I keep wondering if someone will come off the street and swipe one of these.

desmax

Gaf, help.

Currently I'm using a PC with:
i3 2100 ~ 3.10ghz
GTX 650 Ti

And I'm having some serious issues with framerate in games.
Basically any game that I try to run seems to run time, but seemingly at random the framerate drops to 10~20 for a few seconds, and then returns to normal.

It's kinda harmless, but it really annoys me, especially when I'm playing Overwatch.
Initially I though it was because of memory (I had 4gb of ram), so I installed 16gb of ram and also a small SSD for windows boot up.

It severely increased performance of my PC, but these shutters kept happening; so I'm looking for a more drastic upgrade.

I believed that the problem was with my CPU (Seems like it's always at 100% even when I'm playing any games on it), so I though I'd get another one; Last month I managed to get an i5 6400 on a sale, but I can't install it on my machine due to it having a different CPU socket.

The motherboard I'm using is fairly old, I can't overclock with it and it doesn't even have SATA 3 port, so I'm not using my SSD at full power; I think it's time to change it anyway; saw a Z170 model with a fairly nice price too, some people say that those are the ones to go.

But, right now, I feel like I'm getting cold feet. I'm not sure if my problem is with the CPU or GPU; anyone knows any good way to evaluate each machine component?

PS: Anyone knows any good tutorial for swapping motherboards? It's my first time doing something like it, and I don't want to mess it up.

Bloodember

Gaf, help.

Currently I'm using a PC with:
i3 2100 ~ 3.10ghz
GTX 650 Ti

And I'm having some serious issues with framerate in games.
Basically any game that I try to run seems to run time, but seemingly at random the framerate drops to 10~20 for a few seconds, and then returns to normal.

It's kinda harmless, but it really annoys me, especially when I'm playing Overwatch.
Initially I though it was because of memory (I had 4gb of ram), so I installed 16gb of ram and also a small SSD for windows boot up.

It severely increased performance of my PC, but these shutters kept happening; so I'm looking for a more drastic upgrade.

I believed that the problem was with my CPU (Seems like it's always at 100% even when I'm playing any games on it), so I though I'd get another one; Last month I managed to get an i5 6400 on a sale, but I can't install it on my machine due to it having a different CPU socket.

The motherboard I'm using is fairly old, I can't overclock with it and it doesn't even have SATA 3 port, so I'm not using my SSD at full power; I think it's time to change it anyway; saw a Z170 model with a fairly nice price too, some people say that those are the ones to go.

But, right now, I feel like I'm getting cold feet. I'm not sure if my problem is with the CPU or GPU; anyone knows any good way to evaluate each machine component?

PS: Anyone knows any good tutorial for swapping motherboards? It's my first time doing something like it, and I don't want to mess it up.
Since you already have the I5 6400, you don't need a Z170. Just get a H170 or B150 motherboard with the specs you want. Z170 is for overclocking "K" processors and Overclocked RAM.

100% cpu utilization points to a cpu bottleneck, but the age of that graphics card means a cpu upgrade is also an instant GPU bottleneck.

Motherboard installation is covered in any beginner build tutorial. Just do it bacwards to uninstall yours, paying special attention to the retention locks on your pcie and RAM slots.

desmax

Since you already have the I5 6400, you don't need a Z170. Just get a H170 or B150 motherboard with the specs you want. Z170 is for overclocking "K" processors and Overclocked RAM.

Fair enough, the B150 seems fairly cheaper than the Z170. The one I saw has a bunch of USB ports too, so that's an extra plus.

Could save some extra money for a gpu too. A 1060gtx should work fine, right?

desmax

100% cpu utilization points to a cpu bottleneck, but the age of that graphics card means a cpu upgrade is also an instant GPU bottleneck.

Motherboard installation is covered in any beginner build tutorial. Just do it bacwards to uninstall yours, paying special attention to the retention locks on your pcie and RAM slots.

Yeah, sometimes some Windows processes go almost up to 50%, so I initially though it was the CPU. I run Malwarebytes every week and it never picked up anything, so I don't think it's a virus or something.
Opening the Task Manager immediately sends it to 100%, and then it calms down.

Bloodember

Fair enough, the B150 seems fairly cheaper than the Z170. The one I saw has a bunch of USB ports too, so that's an extra plus.

Could save some extra money for a gpu too. A 1060gtx should work fine, right?

Yeah, a 1060 would work, just get a 6gb model. You'll also need new RAM, I'd get at least 16gb, but 8gb would work for now.

Yeah, sometimes some Windows processes go almost up to 50%, so I initially though it was the CPU. I run Malwarebytes every week and it never picked up anything, so I don't think it's a virus or something.
Opening the Task Manager immediately sends it to 100%, and then it calms down.
Just because Malwarebytes doesn't pick it up doesn't mean you don't have one. Run Ad-aware also, malwarebytes don't scan for everything, with these two you should be good. You could also run rkill to make sure nothing is running that's not suppose to be.

desmax

Yeah, a 1060 would work, just get a 6gb model. You'll also need new RAM, I'd get at least 16gb, but 8gb would work for now.

Just because Malwarebytes doesn't pick it up doesn't mean you don't have one. Run Ad-aware also, malwarebytes don't scan for everything, with these two you should be good. You could also run rkill to make sure nothing is running that's not suppose to be.

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting 2 4gb sticks for now, and then I buy another 2 4gb later

I'll give those a try

coughlanio

Man, will they ever release the Samsung 960 EVOs. We have dates for the 960 Pro SSDs but not the EVOs, want to grab me two of those 1TB bad boys.

Dio

Banned
Man, will they ever release the Samsung 960 EVOs. We have dates for the 960 Pro SSDs but not the EVOs, want to grab me two of those 1TB bad boys.

I made an order for a 960 Evo on the 17th and it said 2-4 weeks for shipping. It's currently in 'preparing for shipping' on Samsung's website.

I checked their site again, and it says 6-8 weeks now. I assume I got lucky and ordered in the first bracket, they're probably backordered to the point of needing to restock before sending out another batch (thus 6-8 weeks)

LilJoka

MOBO:

Current Setup:
GTX 780
i7-3770k

There is no point upgrading the CPU.
Overclock the CPU and upgrade the GPU.

So my parents need a new pc, they had the same one since 02/03 and it's way past due for an upgrade.

Am I better telling them to grab something pre made or should I build something for them? I wouldn't mind having something to play civ 6 on though seeing as my laptop isn't strong enough;)

Maxim726X

So, I need help getting a new monitor... I have a 970 right now, and I plan on sticking with Nvidia if I upgrade. I do not have a g-sync monitor at this time.

So I guess I'll ask two questions- Best monitor if money was no object, and best overall value?

Celcius

°Temp. member
So, I need help getting a new monitor... I have a 970 right now, and I plan on sticking with Nvidia if I upgrade. I do not have a g-sync monitor at this time.

So I guess I'll ask two questions- Best monitor if money was no object, and best overall value?

If money is no object: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A3N60A2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Better value: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AWGY9MG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Both are IPS, Gsync, 4K. The first one is a 32" Acer and the 2nd one is 27" Asus.

Vipu

Banned
I have no problem upgrading if necessary. 1070 good enough?

What kind of fps are you targetting etc?
If something close to 60fps and good settings then 1080 or titan xp

Or you talking about monitor upgrade?
Then 970 is no where near enough for k, barely even 1440p if you want more than 60fps.

britt0n

Neo Member
I'm pulling my old pc out of the garage and giving it a gpu upgrade today. It has a 2500k and 8 go of ram and a gtx570. I was thinking about the 1070 but the 1060 is much cheaper. I'm only playing on my big screen tv at 1080p. Should I just save the money or splurge? I don't see myself upgrading monitors any time soon.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom