• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a 770 right now, I'm very happy with my CPU (I have a 3570k) and I have 8 GB of RAM and a 1080p monitor. What I'm wondering is if I should wait for Vega or if I should get a 1080 as they're on sale for 554.99 at the moment.

It would be a massive upgrade but unless you are planning on upgrading your monitor a bit overkill. That is a nice price though and you'd be set for afew years at least. I'd say go for it but realize you aren't using it to anywhere close to its full potential unless you upgrade your monitor. PS where is it on sale?

etrain911

It would be a massive upgrade but unless you are planning on upgrading your monitor a bit overkill. That is a nice price though and you'd be set for afew years at least. I'd say go for it but realize you aren't using it to anywhere close to its full potential unless you upgrade your monitor. PS where is it on sale?

Amazon Warehouse deals! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDUVJ2M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The packaging is damaged, but it is all fulfilled by Amazon so if it doesn't work or anything, they're accountable. They're Amazon's best kept secret imo. I've never had a problem with them.

Ludono

reposting since I think my post got overlooked :(

Currently brought over some parts from my old PC in the US (I'm studying abroad in Germany) and wanted to put together a PC here, albeit some of the parts needing upgrades.

Current specs are
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
Motherboard: Don't remember but some very plain Intel board that was compatible with my CPU
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
Storage: Samsung 830 120GB SSD
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Case: Some piece of shit I found in the rubbish
Power Supply: Corsair 750W

I really want to upgrade to a 1070 for some high end gaming. I also want to get a new case as the current one is just some banged up thing that's supposed to be temporary.

So what parts can I still salvage for use and what would you recommend switching out.

Also does anyone have experience buying parts in Germany? I've never done so.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Currently brought over some parts from my old PC in the US (I'm studying abroad in Germany) and wanted to put together a PC here, albeit some of the parts needing upgrades.

Current specs are
Motherboard: Don't remember but some very plain Intel board that was compatible with my CPU

I really want to upgrade to a 1070 for some high end gaming. I also want to get a new case as the current one is just some banged up thing that's supposed to be temporary.

So what parts can I still salvage for use and what would you recommend switching out.

Are you overclocking? You could get a little more life out of that CPU, but it's getting to be time to upgrade 2500Ks.

If that's a good Corsair PSU and not a lower end CX series one you could probably keep using it, if it's still under warranty. Could also keep using the SSD if you want and add in a big HDD.

BFIB

Current specs are

If you throw a good after market cooler on that CPU, you can easily overclock to 4.5 Ghz. I did that to mine about a year ago and its ran fine with no problems. Should get a few more years out of that CPU.

Your in the same boat as me on the GPU end however, that 670 is long in the tooth. I game at 1080P, so I think its time to bite the bullet on either the 1060 or the RX480.

Triteon

Hopefully you guys can help me with this.

I bought an MSI extreme 1080 about 5 weeks ago, it comes with a 5.25-inch front panel for HDMI and a pair of USB 2.0 plugs on one long 20 pin connector. my mobo doesn't seem to have a place to plug in the 20 pin connector. and 2, My case doesn't really have the free space for the panel.

So now I'm looking for a new Skylake mobo that can take the plug and now that I'm seriously thinking about getting a Vive possibly a whole new case for VR. As while a front panel is great I'd prefer the plugs to be in the top of the case.

I've done my own searches for an hour or so but nothing had really jumped out at me.

Anyone have any good places to start?

paskowitz

so my billets came today. my wire was bent in the total opposite direction since i installed them. so it has a weird bent angle to them. hoping it will fix with time.

FcQaV5x.jpg

Easy fix. Put a comb at the very end of the cord (nearest the GPU). That will fix the kink there.

Now, if you want to straighten out the cables in general, you will have to break out the hair dryer. Heat up the cord and then start bending/training it to go the direction you want. You may have to do this a couple times, letting it cool in between. Leaving the cables in a bowl can also help if you want a smooth shape.

Hey folks,

Built my first rig today but I'm running into 2 issues.

Specs: gtx 1060, 8gb ram, i5-6600k, z170-k mobo

1st: I suspect one of the ram sticks is DOA. My system will not boot with it inside. I've tried different seatings on the Mobo but nothing works.

2nd: I can still use the 4gb stick but the system runs super slow. My temps look normal as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

paskowitz

Hey folks,

1st: I suspect one of the ram sticks is DOA. My system will not boot with it inside. I've tried different seatings on the Mobo but nothing works.

2nd: I can still use the 4gb stick but the system runs super slow. My temps look normal as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Does your mobo have a q-code read out? If yes, look up the last code that remains displayed in the mobo manual. This should tell you the error. I would also try the other single ram stick to make sure it is the culprit.

Dio

Banned
That feeling when you notice a single fan trying hard to start up and failing, testing the port with a different fan and realizing that system fan port is broken or not getting enough power, and it would be an enormous pain in the ass to return the mobo over just that so you just hook the fan to the PSU instead of the mobo and everything's hunky dory.

Bloodember

Hey folks,

You using a SSD or a regular hard drive? Also with only 4gb of RAM it will be a little slow.

LilJoka

That feeling when you notice a single fan trying hard to start up and failing, testing the port with a different fan and realizing that system fan port is broken or not getting enough power, and it would be an enormous pain in the ass to return the mobo over just that so you just hook the fan to the PSU instead of the mobo and everything's hunky dory.

That will run the fan full speed.
Get a 3pin Y cable to connect 2 fans to 1 motherboard header.

I'm currently running

FX 8350
R9 290
8gb Ram
120gb ssd boot drive
1tb HDD

My budget is usually quite tight for gaming and I was lucky to put this together a couple of years ago. I'm worried if I leave it too long I'll have to make a massive upgrade purchase again which just isn't viable for me.

What should I do GAF? This rig should still be good for me for a little while longer but I find myself only really playing a few AAA multiplats a year now and I'm really eyeing up those PS4 exclusives like The Last Guardian and God of War 4.

Would it be more cost effective for me to shuffle back to console?

Echoing what others have said, hold out PC wise, perhaps start putting money aside for a new CPU and motherboard when Zen and Kabylake stuff start coming out. You're otherwise not gonna see massive gains from current alternates - an 8370 is just a slightly faster 8350, and the 9590 is excessively demanding.

The 8350 will still last you a while if you want to pick up a PS4, though you may have to drop a few settings here and there. DX12 might extend the PC's high-end longevity a little - though I only vaguely know the details of its compatibility with AMD cards - but yeah, you're gonna have to swap out a few things.

neoemonk

So last night while playing FF XIV my PC just shut off. It was like someone pulled the power cord. The machine wouldn't power back on. Over the summer I got a new GTX 1070. I don't constantly monitor case temps but I did for about a week after I got the new card and everything looked good.

I thought it might be an overheating issue so I waited a little while and tried to turn the PC back on but no luck. I opened the case and everything looked fine so I removed the video card and the PC started right up. I shut it down and put the video card back in and once again it wouldn't start. I moved the video card to a different PCIe slot and the PC still wouldn't start. I removed the video card again and the PC started right up. I also tried starting the PC with the card in the slot but with no power going to it and the PC will not start then either.

It appears to me that there's a problem with the video card and I need to use the warranty to replace it. Is there anything else I could be missing? I don't have an extra motherboard or video card to test with.

LilJoka

So last night while playing FF XIV my PC just shut off. It was like someone pulled the power cord. The machine wouldn't power back on. Over the summer I got a new GTX 1070. I don't constantly monitor case temps but I did for about a week after I got the new card and everything looked good.

I thought it might be an overheating issue so I waited a little while and tried to turn the PC back on but no luck. I opened the case and everything looked fine so I removed the video card and the PC started right up. I shut it down and put the video card back in and once again it wouldn't start. I moved the video card to a different PCIe slot and the PC still wouldn't start. I removed the video card again and the PC started right up. I also tried starting the PC with the card in the slot but with no power going to it and the PC will not start then either.

It appears to me that there's a problem with the video card and I need to use the warranty to replace it. Is there anything else I could be missing? I don't have an extra motherboard or video card to test with.

Exact PSU model and age?

Memnoch

Heya guys, I currently don't have a gaming pc, but looking at the prospect instead of a ps4 pro. I'm in Canada and could spend 1500. I want to use a controller and hook it up to my 4k TV. What would you all recommend?

Tanston

6600K would be fine for your needs. Overclocking isn't difficult, just a little time consuming to set up.

Excellent build in the OP would be a good starting point-
Z170 motherboard with features you want (ports, slots, ATX/mATX/ITX form factor)
16GB RAM, 3000 is a good balance of price and performance
SSD
Good >500W PSU.

You could do better on the cooler with a Cryorig H7 (better than 212), or M9 (similar to 212 but smaller and cheaper). Could also go with something higher end, but an H7 would be fine for entry level overclocking.

Edit:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($236.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($83.31 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($120.81 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card ($394.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1151.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 15:09 EDT-0400

Could tailor some things more to your liking, like the case or motherboard. DDR4 prices seem to be going up unfortunately, probably to make upcoming holiday sale prices look better.

Edit edit: Changed the RAM to match better, not even intentional but that ended up being a sexy black and white set of components.

This looks like a great start and comes in about 100 bucks cheaper then my attempt at putting a build together. I've settled on the i5 6600k at this point.

Couple questions though and probably anybody can answer these. There are approximately 3000 different brands and configurations of gtx 1070 cards. (slight exaggeration or maybe not) I'm seeing this one on sale on newegg for 385 MSI GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card how does that differ from the evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-sc-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-5173-kr]EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC card recommended in this build or any other gtx1070 for that matter?

Also for power supplies 550W seems a bit low would I be better off spending the small amount to get more wattage so my build has room to grow in later years? Or would 750w be complete overkill?

LilJoka

OK, I wouldn't expect that PSU to be a problem.
What 1070 model have you got? EVGA ones have some ongoing issues right now.

This looks like a great start and comes in about 100 bucks cheaper then my attempt at putting a build together. I've settled on the i5 6600k at this point.

Couple questions though and probably anybody can answer these. There are approximately 3000 different brands and configurations of gtx 1070 cards. (slight exaggeration or maybe not) I'm seeing this one on sale on newegg for 385 MSI GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card how does that differ from the evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-sc-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-5173-kr]EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC card recommended in this build or any other gtx1070 for that matter?

Also for power supplies 550W seems a bit low would I be better off spending the small amount to get more wattage so my build has room to grow in later years? Or would 750w be complete overkill?

550W is enough for a GTX 1070, its only 150W. I very much doubt you will ever run dual GPUS, its a poor value proposition these days,
I wouldn't be buying an EVGA GTX 1070 due to the poor VRM cooling.
MSI Gaming X is good.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1165.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 10:19 EDT-0400

b0bbyJ03

Is Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) still working for everyone? For some reason it just brings me back to an older Nvidia driver now instead of completely removing all display drivers. Has anyone had this issue?

Tanston

550W is enough for a GTX 1070, its only 150W. I very much doubt you will ever run dual GPUS, its a poor value proposition these days,
I wouldn't be buying an EVGA GTX 1070 due to the poor VRM cooling.
MSI Gaming X is good.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1165.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 10:19 EDT-0400

Thanks for the warning on the evga. I was already a little hessitant because i've never used that brand in the past.
The MSI gaming X gtx 1070 is on sale on newegg right now for 385 after rebate I'm wondering if i should be jumping on that or waiting for holiday deals? Haven't really been price tracking these things for more then a couple days.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Thanks for the warning on the evga. I was already a little hessitant because i've never used that brand in the past.
The MSI gaming X gtx 1070 is on sale on newegg right now for 385 after rebate I'm wondering if i should be jumping on that or waiting for holiday deals? Haven't really been price tracking these things for more then a couple days.

if it still comes with a gears of war 4 code (til nov 1? maybe?) that would be a real good price

personally i love my msi gaming x 1070

Ludono

Are you overclocking? You could get a little more life out of that CPU, but it's getting to be time to upgrade 2500Ks.

If that's a good Corsair PSU and not a lower end CX series one you could probably keep using it, if it's still under warranty. Could also keep using the SSD if you want and add in a big HDD.

My current mobo is apparently a "locked" mobo that doesn't allow for overclocking, so I would probably upgrade the mobo and overclock the CPU.

It's a TX750.

If you throw a good after market cooler on that CPU, you can easily overclock to 4.5 Ghz. I did that to mine about a year ago and its ran fine with no problems. Should get a few more years out of that CPU.

Your in the same boat as me on the GPU end however, that 670 is long in the tooth. I game at 1080P, so I think its time to bite the bullet on either the 1060 or the RX480.

So the Corsair H60 isn't good? Should I upgrade to a different cooler? I think I will stick with the CPU since it'll shave a lot of money off my build if I just stick with it and OC it.

Heya guys, I currently don't have a gaming pc, but looking at the prospect instead of a ps4 pro. I'm in Canada and could spend 1500. I want to use a controller and hook it up to my 4k TV. What would you all recommend?

It's a little over budget but if you can find the money this PC will be great for 4K gaming. You can shave ~$70 off the price simply by creating your own Windows 10 USB installer yourself by following one of many tutorials online, and then purchasing a Windows 10 Home serial key from a section of Reddit called "Microsoft Software Swap". Here's a link to a reputable seller's Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsofts...h_windows_10_7_8_81_server_2016_now_in_stock/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($664.35 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1549.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 11:09 EDT-0400

Okay, PC Gaf. I'm getting ready to build a new PC. There's really nothing wrong with my PC now, however, my wife needs a new desktop and I'm handing mine over to her (as an excuse to build myself a new one).

This is what I've put together so far (minus monitors, keyboards etc).

What I want to know is, how future proof is this?
Will it be alright for 4K gaming?

PC Partpicker List

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($428.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($174.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($306.07 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($644.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($48.79 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ My Choice Software)

Any recommendations on changes?

I don't really have a budget, but I also don't want to break the bank.

Thanks!

LilJoka

Yeah, that's the model. I guess I'm lucky a fire didn't start. My wife bought a Note 7 earlier this year as well. Banner year for electronics in my house! Thanks for the link. I'm confident that the GPU is the issue now. I'll have to contact EVGA.

Try and see if they can just refund you.
Otherwise a replacement should come with thermal pads on the VRMs to improve heat transfer and VRM temps.

Okay, PC Gaf. I'm getting ready to build a new PC. There's really nothing wrong with my PC now, however, my wife needs a new desktop and I'm handing mine over to her (as an excuse to build myself a new one).

PC Partpicker List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($174.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($644.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ My Choice Software)

Thanks!

For 4k@30fps I believe it'll run. 60 FPS is more the domain of the Titan X.

Aranath

I'm looking for some advice for getting my ping lower. It generally sits at around 85-95, which is rather high. Occasionally, in BF1, it gets even higher, which isn't exactly optimal.

At the moment, I'm running on a wifi connection about 3m from my computer. My router is the router given to me by my ISP. I'm just curious at this point, what route of upgrades I should try to get an improved ping.

I've ordered an ethernet cable that I'm going to run to the router and connect to the ethernet port on my motherboard (MSI Z77 MPower). If that doesn't work, should I try getting a network card or would I be better off upgrading my router?

If I have to upgrade the router, would a 30 euro one suffice, do you think? I'm a bit worried about buying an expensive one and it does nothing to help.

LilJoka

I'm looking for some advice for getting my ping lower. It generally sits at around 85-95, which is rather high. Occasionally, in BF1, it gets even higher, which isn't exactly optimal.

At the moment, I'm running on a wifi connection about 3m from my computer. My router is the router given to me by my ISP. I'm just curious at this point, what route of upgrades I should try to get an improved ping.

I've ordered an ethernet cable that I'm going to run to the router and connect to the ethernet port on my motherboard (MSI Z77 MPower). If that doesn't work, should I try getting a network card or would I be better off upgrading my router?

If I have to upgrade the router, would a 30 euro one suffice, do you think? I'm a bit worried about buying an expensive one and it does nothing to help.

If you use something like Speedtest.net, what is your ping? If the high ping is ISP side then there's not much you can do.

Thanks!

I edited your parts list. You don't need a 6800K, it just isn't necessary for gaming. The 6700K is more than enough for the vast majority of games. The EVGA 1080 cards have also been having some Galaxy Note 7-esque issues lately, and while it's possible that the issue has been fixed now and newly manufactured EVGA 1080's will be problem-free, I'd rather play it safe and get the excellent MSI Gaming X 1080 instead. Your motherboard had to be swapped to an LGA1151 since the 6700K doesn't use the X99 chipset, so I changed it to a nice black and red MSI gaming motherboard that will look great with your red RAM sticks and the aforementioned red/black MSI graphics card.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($54.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($664.35 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1938.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 11:31 EDT-0400

Aranath

If you use something like Speedtest.net, what is your ping? If the high ping is ISP side then there's not much you can do.

Just ran it from both my PC and mobile phone and they both gave me a ping of about 50. How's that?

I just noticed that if I ping my router (using the default gateway) I get a ping of like 1 or 2ms. If I ping Google.com then I get a ping of around 45ms. Would a direct cable connection make a difference there? Seems like the wireless connection is fine.

Guys I'm having a spot of bother with my new build. Put it all together with my best mate that knows how to build inside out, went to turn it on for the bios and got nothing from the monitor. Tried it on hdmi on my 55" led tv, no signal again in.

Turns out the dram led is on red (asus z11u0-a MB), the manual says its an indicator or a crucial part, so the likelihood is that its the cpu or the ram sticks. Going to have another look at it in the morning bit is there anything we could be overlooking? The cpu is an i7 6700k and 2x16 ram. The fans come on fine.

Thankks guys

Well after rigorous testing, my man has bottomed that the problem is coming from either / both the MB and psu.

Both 1 stick of my 16gb or 1 stick of his 8gb works but it wont do dual. He also noticed that 1 of the cpu connector pins on the board was bent.

So new MB and PSU are ordered and the old ones are getting carted off.

Pc gaming!

BFIB

My current mobo is apparently a "locked" mobo that doesn't allow for overclocking, so I would probably upgrade the mobo and overclock the CPU.

It's a TX750.

So the Corsair H60 isn't good? Should I upgrade to a different cooler? I think I will stick with the CPU since it'll shave a lot of money off my build if I just stick with it and OC it.

Your cooler should be fine. I'd start at 4Ghz and run Prime95 to see how it behaves. Then tweak from there. Should be able to get between 4.2 and 4.5Ghz stable.

LilJoka

Just ran it from both my PC and mobile phone and they both gave me a ping of about 50. How's that?

I just noticed that if I ping my router (using the default gateway) I get a ping of like 1 or 2ms. If I ping Google.com then I get a ping of around 45ms. Would a direct cable connection make a difference there? Seems like the wireless connection is fine.

Your high ping is on your ISP side.
What kind of internet connection do you have?

I'm in the UK and if I ping 8.8.8.8 google DNS server, it's 7ms. High ping can be due to high error correction on a long phone line, or generally a low bandwidth line.

Husker86

So I think I'm about ready to dive in and order.

This PC will be Windows/Linux and mainly for productivity (development, some Adobe CC apps). However I also want to get into some modern games as I haven't played any for the last few years for the most part.

I'm coming from an i5 2500k / GTX760 / 16GB. It can actually run games alright, but I'm feeling the age when working with Premiere Pro and the like. My mid 2014 MacBook Pro is faster and is actually my main computer right now for development related tasks.

I wanted to keep the build around $1,500, but I also don't want to skimp as I'll be keeping this (barring maybe a GPU upgrade) for probably 3-4 years, so I don't think that's going to happen. The timing of my purchase is where my hesitation comes in.

If I'm set on a 6800k (and I'm pretty set), Kaby Lake isn't bringing anything that could change my mind, right? It's just going to be a slightly refined Skylake?

I also want an M.2 drive, but I see the 960 Pro series are coming out soon so I should probably wait and either get that or a potentially cheaper 950 Pro.

Those are my only real holdups for now. I've watched/read so many 6700k vs 6800k videos/articles...I'm starting to go crazy. What I've gathered is there won't be a boost for gaming (and possibly even a slight hinderance depending on the overclock I get), but the extra two cores make a real difference in heavy multitasking and are potentially more "future proof", as little sense as that term makes in computing.

In short: Need a productivity beast that can game well (but productivity > gaming as far as priority goes).

This is what I have so far:

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($118.61 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card ($409.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1930.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 12:06 EDT-0400

Jezbollah

Husker, that's a REALLY nice setup you will have. I have a Corsair Carbide 400Q - and am a big fan of it.

with regards the CPU options you have, take a look at this link - I think it'll give you good food for thought.

LilJoka

So I think I'm about ready to dive in and order.

This PC will be Windows/Linux and mainly for productivity (development, some Adobe CC apps). However I also want to get into some modern games as I haven't played any for the last few years for the most part.

I'm coming from an i5 2500k / GTX760 / 16GB. It can actually run games alright, but I'm feeling the age when working with Premiere Pro and the like. My mid 2014 MacBook Pro is faster and is actually my main computer right now for development related tasks.

I wanted to keep the build around $1,500, but I also don't want to skimp as I'll be keeping this (barring maybe a GPU upgrade) for probably 3-4 years, so I don't think that's going to happen. The timing of my purchase is where my hesitation comes in.

If I'm set on a 6800k (and I'm pretty set), Kaby Lake isn't bringing anything that could change my mind, right? It's just going to be a slightly refined Skylake?

I also want an M.2 drive, but I see the 960 Pro series are coming out soon so I should probably wait and either get that or a potentially cheaper 950 Pro.

Those are my only real holdups for now. I've watched/read so many 6700k vs 6800k videos/articles...I'm starting to go crazy. What I've gathered is there won't be a boost for gaming (and possibly even a slight hinderance depending on the overclock I get), but the extra two cores make a real difference in heavy multitasking and are potentially more "future proof", as little sense as that term makes in computing.

In short: Need a productivity beast that can game well (but productivity > gaming as far as priority goes).

This is what I have so far:

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($118.61 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X99 GAMING ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card ($409.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case ($97.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1930.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 12:06 EDT-0400

My take:

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1852.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 13:00 EDT-0400

Aranath

Your high ping is on your ISP side.
What kind of internet connection do you have?

I'm in the UK and if I ping 8.8.8.8 google DNS server, it's 7ms. High ping can be due to high error correction on a long phone line, or generally a low bandwidth line.

It's a 20mbps ADSL connection in Spain. I'm a little rural, so no fiber out this way. I assume it's my connection then. I'll have to give my ISP a call and see what they say about it.

And if I ping 8.8.8.8 I get a consistent 43ms. Ugh.

th3dude

Any recommendations for a solid ~27" 1440p monitor? Not necessarily looking for 144hz but future proofing wouldn't hurt.

Currently running a GTX 970.

LilJoka

It's a 20mbps ADSL connection in Spain. I'm a little rural, so no fiber out this way. I assume it's my connection then. I'll have to give my ISP a call and see what they say about it.

And if I ping 8.8.8.8 I get a consistent 43ms. Ugh.

They wont/cant do anything. Limitation of ADSL error correction and bandwidth.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It's a TX750.

H60 is decent, the best thing going for it is that you already have it. It will get the job done, but it won't be the coolest or quietest option (or cheapest, if you didn't already have it).

If you can find a good deal on a P67, Z68, Z75, or Z77 motherboard overclocking your 2500K will give you a nice performance boost. Those are listed in order from worst to best. You don't want to spend much though, even an overclocked 2500K is falling behind newer CPUs.

TX series are good PSUs, but I'm guessing it's probably approaching the end of its warranty, which serves as a rough approximation of how long a PSU will last. A good PSU isn't likely go out in a blaze of glory and take the rest of your PC with it, if it does fail it should do so alone. No guarantees though. Basically up to you whether you want to replace it, personally I'd probably ride it out until a bigger upgrade than what you seem to be planning.

Husker86

Husker, that's a REALLY nice setup you will have. I have a Corsair Carbide 400Q - and am a big fan of it.

with regards the CPU options you have, take a look at this link - I think it'll give you good food for thought.

Thanks for the link. I think I did see that and it was one of the things that made me second guess going 6800K (based on the article linked in the summary).

My take:

Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1852.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 13:00 EDT-0400

Mmm, that's a nice case. I wanted to try to go a bit smaller this build, but it's not much bigger than the Corsair. Are you not a fan of prebuilt water cooling solutions?

LilJoka

Thanks for the link. I think I did see that and it was one of the things that made me second guess going 6800K (based on the article linked in the summary).

Mmm, that's a nice case. I wanted to try to go a bit smaller this build, but it's not much bigger than the Corsair. Are you not a fan of prebuilt water cooling solutions?

No I'm not really.
If you want smaller get the same case in matx and the motherboard in matx. I doubt there's any reason you'll have for full ATX.

Motherboard: EVGA Micro 2 Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($181.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1800.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 16:10 EDT-0400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom