• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finaika

JWrRFdw.jpg

What speakers are those?

MisterNoisy

Aida64 says the bios temps are in the mid to low 20s.

So guys, maybe some of are you are interested in seeing the final product. I managed to find a 140MM PWM fan I could install as an exhaust even WITH the Noctua NH-D15.

Behold, my Mini ITX PC and small desk area.

I don't know what I was thinking when I put the badges on there. They're ugly and a bitch to remove. Oh well.

Love the keyboard!

Dio

Banned
Hey, how that's PNY 1060 holding out?
I kinda lost control and brought one for myself. I read some reviews, and people seemed to say it's fine, but I want to hear opinion of someone who's been using it for a while

You're on the same page as me then. I finished this build two days ago, I haven't even been able to run anything yet because I'm waiting for my NVME 960 Evo to get here before I actually install Windows.

desmax

You're on the same page as me then. I finished this build two days ago, I haven't even been able to run anything yet because I'm waiting for my NVME 960 Evo to get here before I actually install Windows.

Oh sorry, though you'd already started using it.

MisterNoisy

Is that how you got your username? :p

You'd think so - some of them joke that I brought it in as some sort of passive-aggressive move.

As for my home box, there have been a few changes. Mostly, I dropped in a 1070 in place of the 970 and bought a new keyboard and mouse.

I also set up a new desk by laying a 80"x32" hollow-core door that I'd painted with four coats of spray on truck bedliner onto a couple of IKEA table leg sets. So much room now and everything is off the floor:

IEaVCBz.jpg

Dio

Banned

Nice, I like your Model M. Is that an Ergohuman chair?

Pictured: Dell U2414H, Micca MB42x, Dayton DTA-1 for those two passive Miccas, Logitech G710+, Logitech M510, cheap ass piece of neoprene for like 2 dollars that was washed and dried to get the rubber stink out, and a Samsung 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Duo which is already preloaded with Windows 10 for boot (yes I realize I need to plug it into a USB 2.0 to properly get things going.)

Re: desk space, I have one of these bad boys:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Gillespie-L-Shaped-Desk/product_1929202?externalize=certona

I don't have enough space for a desk like your DIY door thing, but getting this for 99.99 was a fantastic choice.

An old pic before I got the tower and moved things around but you get the idea. In a tiny apartment like mine it does wonders. This is how I lived with only a Macbook Pro and a PS4.

shanafan

Dang! My 1070 requires a 8 pin pcie power plug. I need the adapter to connect a 6 to an 8. Think Walmart or Meijer has that at 1 AM?

Edit: Duh, I have a two pin that I can use with my 6 pin

enewtabie

Finally got in the last piece for my desk/build and I'm done. Works great on ultra settings at 1440p on everything I've played (Gears, Forza Horizon 3,Doom,BF1)
Got a Fractal 500 mini itx case on my desk behind me. Just waiting on a few parts to do that,but I haven't really made my mind up on the GPU. Was thinking 1050ti,but I might go AMD on this one.

pwnage2u

Banned
Finally got in the last piece for my desk/build and I'm done. Works great on ultra settings at 1440p on everything I've played (Gears, Forza Horizon 3,Doom,BF1)
Got a Fractal 500 mini itx case on my desk behind me. Just waiting on a few parts to do that,but I haven't really made my mind up on the GPU. Was thinking 1050ti,but I might go AMD on this one.
What desk did you get? I been having more problems finding a desk then actually building a computer.

Nice setup, where is the wallpaper from? Looks nice.

1. Desk is from Flash Furniture. I got it on Amazon for 70 bucks

2. Wallpaper is on the Corsair website under Support, Downloads ,Media

Desk is a cable management challenge,so if you enjoy that like I do, then its fun.

Sweet thanks, got it just now, really looks smooth.

Desk with cable management is best.

VoxPop

Does anyone know if the Corsair H100i v2 fits inside the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX case?

Debating if I should go mini again (coming from a Node 304) or just go all out in an ATX build.

LilJoka

Thanks.

BTW. The low profile exhaust fan helped. A lot! And for this particular build, the Noctua blew the H100i V2 out of the water (ironically enough!) I like that the build isn't ostentatious. It's obviously a pretty high end machine but it isn't flashy. It's beautifully utilitarian. I think a lot of PC enthusiasts would look at it and say "that is a solid computer."

Very nice clean build. I am not one for AIO cooling or flashy lights or tacky plastic, so this ticks all my boxes :)

Does anyone know if the Corsair H100i v2 fits inside the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX case?

Debating if I should go mini again (coming from a Node 304) or just go all out in an ATX build.

It will. I was unimpressed with the results, returned the cooler and went with the noctua.

Tanston

Ok gaf lets do this you are my only hope to get out of this endless loop of flip flopping back and forth on parts. I am apparently 100% incapable of making basic decisions about what processor I need. I can't decide between the i5 6600k, i5 6600, i7 6700k, i76700. Only things I'm really sure on is i'd like to get a gxt 1070 and a 500gb SSD.
I could probably use one of the builds on the front page (are those still up to date?) but I'm really having problems deciding on a processor.

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)

I have a 6 going on 7 year old PC build and there's almost nothing worth carrying over. I'll probably carry over a storage drive I purchased about a year ago and maybe i'll carry over the dvd drive just to make it easier to install the OS on the new machine.

Budget: Price Range + Country

I'd love to keep it between 1000 and 1300 US dollars. I could go over slightly if it will make a big difference but the closer to 1k I get the more likely I can get a new monitor which will probably be needed to take advantage of the new GPUs.

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii/Wii U), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).

Gaming: 5

Emulation: 3 (I'll probably get a rasberry pi at some point for emulation or the score would be higher.)

Using the apps that sony and microsoft put out recently to stream ps4/xbone to computer: 4 (because my wife keeps using the tv to watch cooking shows)

Streaming games in HD 1. Bah humbug get those kids and their twitches off my lawn. I am not the youtubes generation :)

3D/Model work (and what program)

General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 4. I surf the web a lot and stream video to my tv from my PC currently I use plex media server for that.

Work related stuff 1 I might want to be able to mess around with setting up basic virtual machines and using chef and mess around with JDK a bit. I could do that on my work laptop though and it's not a huge consideration but it's something I might do. If it doesn't work very well i'll say oh well and move on with my life.

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?

I suppose i'd like to play at 1440 if possible.

My current monitor is more of a tv it's a samsung syncmaster p2770hd I get the feeling it's not going to be very good for the higher end modern video cards. If I can keep my budget down I can get a new dedicated PC monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144?

The number one game I want to run well that I know my current system won't be able to handle is Planet coaster. I've listed the games I want to run well in order of importance. If diablo 4 is ever a thing in our lifetime it jumps to the top of the list but as it's not even anounced I can't possibly build for it.

1. Planet Coaster
2. Cities Skylines (and all manner of sim management type games)
3. AARPGS like diablo, grim dawn etc
4. RPGS like fallout 4 and skyrim although not those specifically as i've already played them
5. Battlefield 1.
6. Train simulator and games like truck simulator etc

I don't get too hung up on frames per second but 60 sure is better then 30.

How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?

I don't really know what these do for me in relation to the games I want to play. I'd have to do some research to answer this question.

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750TX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)

I don't have anything worth reusing (or compatible for that matter) excepting maybe my SATA HDD media storage drive.

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?

I'd like to settle on a parts list within the next week or two so I can take advantage of any holiday sales that come up

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Maybe if it's easy. I think i'd like to avoid water cooling. And the less mucking about with thermal paste the better....but if I must then I must.

taoofjord

My GTX 1080 and 4K tv came in not too long ago and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out why I'm having color band issues. A very obvious offender is the background in Steam's Library page (tile view), where I see thick horizontal bars making up the subtle gradient. Is this due to an incorrect setting? I've tried both RGB and YCbCr444, Limited vs. Full, 8 bpc vs 12 PC and found no difference. The Samsung KS8000 is in Game Mode with UHD enabled and all processing effects off.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

6600K would be fine for your needs. Overclocking isn't difficult, just a little time consuming to set up.

Excellent build in the OP would be a good starting point-
Z170 motherboard with features you want (ports, slots, ATX/mATX/ITX form factor)
16GB RAM, 3000 is a good balance of price and performance
SSD
Good >500W PSU.

You could do better on the cooler with a Cryorig H7 (better than 212), or M9 (similar to 212 but smaller and cheaper). Could also go with something higher end, but an H7 would be fine for entry level overclocking.

Edit:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($236.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($83.31 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($120.81 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card ($394.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1151.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 15:09 EDT-0400

Could tailor some things more to your liking, like the case or motherboard. DDR4 prices seem to be going up unfortunately, probably to make upcoming holiday sale prices look better.

Edit edit: Changed the RAM to match better, not even intentional but that ended up being a sexy black and white set of components.

Xux

I sure hope Amazon charging me two days ago for my monitor means it's shipping soon. It's the last part I need bedore the graphics card then I can finally start building. :/

Coonce

I just noticed MSI Afterburner doesn't show any adjustments to my core clock when trying to OC my 1080 but it shows my memory clock adjustments fine. My core clock is stuck at 1607 and won't move.

Also, when I monitor my system with OpenHardwareMonitor the GPU clock always show 1607 and 5005 for current, min, and max no matter what.

Any solutions?

Open a game in the background and then adjust.

So I'm looking to get a new monitor, currently I use a 39'' TV and the color reproduction is garbage, but it's old and outdated.

I've been looking at ultrawides, my budget is 1,000. What's the consensus? 34'' ips 3440x1440? Which brand? Would prefer something over 60 hz too.

Thanks.

StewboaT_

Hey guys,

So I built my first PC last night and while it went pretty damn smoothly, I've run into a few snags. Firstly, My mobo only came with two sata cables and of course I need 3 for my build, whoops. Secondly, my tower placement will be too far for a few of my usb connections. What's the best remedy for this? A usb hub with a long cable?

And lastly, the one that tripped me up for most of the night. My monitor is the ASUS VX238h and I for the life of me just couldn't find the damn driver. Windows recognizes it as a generic pnp monitor but my nvidia control panel calls my display Ancor Communications. Everything seems to be working as it should so I'm just curious if this is fine as is? Not sure why the driver was so impossible to find last night...I'm probably missing something plainly obvious.

Thanks!!

kuYuri

I've been deciding on a budget gaming build for a few months now and I'm slowly getting the parts together, waiting on deals on parts. I haven't been in a particular rush to build it, hence why it's taking this long. I'm mostly doing it to practice assembling PCs.

Here's what I've got this far. If the prices are manually inserted in there, it's because that's the price that I either got it for or can currently get it for. If you see non-standard prices, it's because I added tax to the price of that part since I'm planning on buying it from Micro Center, although there are plenty of parts I didn't get taxed on due to Newegg. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I stretched my definition of "budget" a bit, hence why I included a few things like 16GB of RAM rather than 8GB. :p

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.20)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($30.33)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($70.43)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $53.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.59)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For $134.99)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $34.99)
Other: Seasonic M12II Bronze 620W (Purchased For $49.99)
Total: $540.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 16:23 EDT-0400

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've been deciding on a budget gaming build for a few months now and I'm slowly getting the parts together, waiting on deals on parts. I haven't been in a particular rush to build it, hence why it's taking this long. I'm mostly doing it to practice assembling PCs.

Here's what I've got this far. If the prices are manually inserted in there, it's because that's the price that I either got it for or can currently get it for. If you see non-standard prices, it's because I added tax to the price of that part since I'm planning on buying it from Micro Center, although there are plenty of parts I didn't get taxed on due to Newegg. Any thoughts are appreciated!

I stretched my definition of "budget" a bit, hence why I included a few things like 16GB of RAM rather than 8GB. :p

Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $53.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.59)
Other: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING (Purchased For $134.99)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 16:07 EDT-0400

I'd have prioritized a better GPU over 16GB RAM. A 470 isn't that much more is a fair bit better than a 1050 Ti. Solid budget build otherwise.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For $134.99)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-29 16:23 EDT-0400

Should be good for 1080p 60 in current games at a mixture of Medium and High settings (depending on the game, of course).

Good choice of case and power supply! My PC is in a Corsair 100R personally.

kuYuri

Should be good for 1080p 60 in current games at a mixture of Medium and High settings (depending on the game, of course).

Good choice of case and power supply! My PC is in a Corsair 100R personally.

Thanks! I wanted to go 88R cause the size is perfect for the motherboard. And yeah, the power supply is awesome since it's a full modular bronze rated PSU which you almost never see. Not a bad price too for the convenience of full modular!

Ludono

Currently brought over some parts from my old PC in the US (I'm studying abroad in Germany) and wanted to put together a PC here, albeit some of the parts needing upgrades.

Current specs are
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60
Motherboard: Don't remember but some very plain Intel board that was compatible with my CPU
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3
Storage: Samsung 830 120GB SSD
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Case: Some piece of shit I found in the rubbish
Power Supply: Corsair 750W

I really want to upgrade to a 1070 for some high end gaming. I also want to get a new case as the current one is just some banged up thing that's supposed to be temporary.

So what parts can I still salvage for use and what would you recommend switching out.

Also does anyone have experience buying parts in Germany? I've never done so.

I'm currently running

FX 8350
R9 290
8gb Ram
120gb ssd boot drive
1tb HDD

My budget is usually quite tight for gaming and I was lucky to put this together a couple of years ago. I'm worried if I leave it too long I'll have to make a massive upgrade purchase again which just isn't viable for me.

What should I do GAF? This rig should still be good for me for a little while longer but I find myself only really playing a few AAA multiplats a year now and I'm really eyeing up those PS4 exclusives like The Last Guardian and God of War 4.

Would it be more cost effective for me to shuffle back to console?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm currently running

FX 8350
R9 290
8gb Ram
120gb ssd boot drive
1tb HDD

My budget is usually quite tight for gaming and I was lucky to put this together a couple of years ago. I'm worried if I leave it too long I'll have to make a massive upgrade purchase again which just isn't viable for me.

What should I do GAF? This rig should still be good for me for a little while longer but I find myself only really playing a few AAA multiplats a year now and I'm really eyeing up those PS4 exclusives like The Last Guardian and God of War 4.

PS4 may be the best option if you don't want a big, expensive upgrade, and you want PS4 exclusives. You would want a 480 or 1060 at least to get something notably better than your 290, and your CPU is going to hold you back. An Intel quad core would have been a much better buy that you could squeeze some more life out of.

Guys I'm having a spot of bother with my new build. Put it all together with my best mate that knows how to build inside out, went to turn it on for the bios and got nothing from the monitor. Tried it on hdmi on my 55" led tv, no signal again in.

Turns out the dram led is on red (asus z11u0-a MB), the manual says its an indicator or a crucial part, so the likelihood is that its the cpu or the ram sticks. Going to have another look at it in the morning bit is there anything we could be overlooking? The cpu is an i7 6700k and 2x16 ram. The fans come on fine.

Thanks guys.

Guys I'm having a spot of bother with my new build. Put it all together with my best mate that knows how to build inside out, went to turn it on for the bios and got nothing from the monitor. Tried it on hdmi on my 55" led tv, no signal again in.

Turns out the dram led is on red (asus z11u0-a MB), the manual says its an indicator or a crucial part, so the likelihood is that its the cpu or the ram sticks. Going to have another look at it in the morning bit is there anything we could be overlooking? The cpu is an i7 6700k and 2x16 ram. The fans come on fine.

Thanks guys.

Check if the RAM is correctly inserted, also try the RAM one by one, maybe one RAM stick is faulty or the MoBo doesn't suport 32 GB RAM.
Or else try updating the BIOS.

etrain911

So I have a 770 right now, I'm very happy with my CPU (I have a 3570k) and I have 8 GB of RAM and a 1080p monitor. What I'm wondering is if I should wait for Vega or if I should get a 1080 as they're on sale for 554.99 at the moment.

blanky

Hi guys,

i'm having some problems with the 2nd harddrive i'm installing on my desktop. It went fine initially but then i transferred a large amount of data to it. During the transfer I moved the desktop which unhooked the power supply causing it to turn off. Now when I reboot it the HD is no longer mounted and i'm unable to format the drive. Disk management says it can't format it, i should restart and look at it again. I've tried a number of things, wiping the drive, using different formatting tools. But nothing seems to bring this drive back into being useable. Does anyone have any clues?

Hi guys,

i'm having some problems with the 2nd harddrive i'm installing on my desktop. It went fine initially but then i transferred a large amount of data to it. During the transfer I moved the desktop which unhooked the power supply causing it to turn off. Now when I reboot it the HD is no longer mounted and i'm unable to format the drive. Disk management says it can't format it, i should restart and look at it again. I've tried a number of things, wiping the drive, using different formatting tools. But nothing seems to bring this drive back into being useable. Does anyone have any clues?

Keep the power plugged in, disconnect the Sata cable. Let it sit for an hour or so.

Don't move your computer when it it turned on.

Filth

Billet. The Stealth ones are acrylic, billet is aluminum. They are are really nice!

so my billets came today. my wire was bent in the total opposite direction since i installed them. so it has a weird bent angle to them. hoping it will fix with time.

FcQaV5x.jpg

I'm currently running

FX 8350
R9 290
8gb Ram
120gb ssd boot drive
1tb HDD

Soldier on for a little while more and upgrade to a Zen CPU/Main Board. The 290 should serve you well for 1080p for some while yet.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Soldier on for a little while more and upgrade to a Zen CPU/Main Board. The 290 should serve you well for 1080p for some while yet.

Summit Ridge is targeting the high end, a CPU and a good AM4 motherboard could end up being $400+ at launch. Mainstream and lower end options aren't supposed to come until later.

On the other hand, he has time to start saving for that now (or a good Intel upgrade).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom