• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fbh

Gold Member
Super Noob GPU question:
So I'm looking into building a PC. Not sure yet but getting a parts list together and making a budget seems like a good idea.

But I'm kinda confused by how the GPU market works. I allways asumed Nvidia and AMD made their own products and there was only one version of their GPU's. But now that I'm looking at online stores I see that each GPU is being made by several manufacturers.
So there isn't the one "GTX 1080", there is one by Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac, etc, etc.
Some manufacturers even have various GTX 1080 versions which look differently
And prices are all over the place, with some cards costing up to $100 more than others.

So what's the difference? And if there is one, how can I tell which one I'm supposed to get?
Will the one for $799 give better performance than the one for $699? Is there a brand that's allways a safe bet or one that should be avoided?

kennah

Super Noob GPU question:
So I'm looking into building a PC. Not sure yet but getting a parts list together and making a budget seems like a good idea.

But I'm kinda confused by how the GPU market works. I allways asumed Nvidia and AMD made their own products and there was only one version of their GPU's. But now that I'm looking at online stores I see that each GPU is being made by several manufacturers.
So there isn't the one "GTX 1080", there is one by Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Zotac, etc, etc.
Some manufacturers even have various GTX 1080 versions which look differently
And prices are all over the place, with some cards costing up to $100 more than others.

So what's the difference? And if there is one, how can I tell which one I'm supposed to get?
Will the one for $799 give better performance than the one for $699? Is there a brand that's allways a safe bet or one that should be avoided?

AMD and NVIDIA make the basic chips. But they don't sell the 'package', they leave it up to the other manufacturers to put their own spin on those things.

From your perspective, there really is no difference from one 1080 to another. They'll all perform similarly, some will be slightly faster with a factory overclock, some will be slightly cooler with different cooling fans. The really expensive ones are likely 'binned' for a better chance at overclocking. However, if you're not in the kinda super enthusiast category, you're not going to be able to tell the difference between one at stock speed, and one that is overclocked. Get the cheapest one that you find that you like the look of and has a warranty that you like, and will fit in your case. That's it really.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Quick question...

If I wanted to build a small form factor PC to sit in the living room and double as a gaming and capture/streaming box, what's a good case for such a beast?

It seems like everything I look at is either huge or has decided it only needs two slots (which would be taken up immediately by the GPU unless I used a crappy single slot solution.)

Given I want to use an internal capture card I already have lying around, I want space for a dual slot GPU and the internal capture card, and I'd like it to fit under the TV. (So Xbone sized or so with a horizontal form factor.)

Does such a thing exist?

rac

Banned
Let me know if the PSU works for you. I'm in the same boat and don't want to replace my GPU.

I'll keep you updated, however its really unpredictable. So even if it seems to work for a day or two I have no idea...

edit:
voltmaybepnu42.png

Is that the voltage that I'm supposed to be looking at? It looks way off.

Iorv3th

Is it necessary to install integrated audio drivers if you're using a dedicated audio card?

I'm using a Sound Blaster Z and every time I boot there's an error message saying:

Everything works fine, it's just annoying. Doesn't matter if I press Yes or No, it doesn't change anything and it still shows up at boot.

I've disabled the integrated HD audio in the BIOS.

Are your case headers for front audio hooked up correctly?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question...

If I wanted to build a small form factor PC to sit in the living room and double as a gaming and capture/streaming box, what's a good case for such a beast?

It seems like everything I look at is either huge or has decided it only needs two slots (which would be taken up immediately by the GPU unless I used a crappy single slot solution.)

Given I want to use an internal capture card I already have lying around, I want space for a dual slot GPU and the internal capture card, and I'd like it to fit under the TV. (So Xbone sized or so with a horizontal form factor.)

Does such a thing exist?

You would need a mATX case for the extra slots. There are quite a few horizontal mATX options but you may want to consider a cube if possible. At the same volume a cube-style case will have better airflow, much better compatibility with CPU coolers and GPUs, and most likely be easier to work in. A good horizontal case is probably going to be a bit big for your liking, a bit more like a "sideways tower" or an AV receiver than a console.

andycapps

Quick question...

Does such a thing exist?

I got this one and like it a lot. Pretty small and clean looking. Pretty quiet as well.

e90Mark

I feel like Gsync isn't worth its money, especially if you're on a budget. Also, in a recent driver update Nvidia added "Fast Sync" support to their control panel which is said to be a better version of Vsync but with less input latency. I haven't tested it enough to make a convincing statement but if Fast Sync really does what it promises then there is only little reason to spend money on a Gsync monitor.

I'm using a BenQ XL2411Z myself. Obviously it's only 24" but it's a pretty good monitor. The out-of-box color/gamma accuracy is pretty bad but nothing that can't be fixed with a little bit of research. Would recommend.

Fast Sync has been available for awhile now, but it's really meant to be used when you have extreme frame rates passing your refresh rate.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fast Sync has been available for awhile now, but it's really meant to be used when you have extreme frame rates passing your refresh rate.

I'd imagine it would be best to use the two together. Gsync would do its thing up to the monitor's maximum refresh rate, and going beyond that Fast Sync would make sure things stay smooth and responsive.

What has integrated audio got to do with the sound blaster?
It's more likely Windows notices something odd with the sound blaster driver.

No you don't need to install drivers for integrated audio.
Disabling HD Audio in bios should prevent the integrated audio device being seen in windows. But that's not going to help with your sound blaster errors, it's unrelated.

What sound blaster card you got exactly and what's hooked up to it?

Not sure, that's why I'm wondering. It's a weird issue that showed up around the time I installed chipset and graphics drivers. Could be coincidental though.

The sound card is a Sound Blaster Z, hooked up to headphones via the headphone jack and 5.1 system via the 3 3.5mm jacks.

Dalto11

Alright guys so I'm going to be building my first personal computer in December. Here's the PC Part picker list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($58.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($188.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $530.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 23:28 EDT-0400

The CPU/GPU/PSU are all gifts. The GPU is already purchased so that is set in stone. The CPU/PSU price is my set budget for the two as my brother wants to contribute to my build as a Christmas gift. I already have the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 board and the 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM, they were both gifts from a friend that was upgrading (as well as a 950 mini I won't be using). I'm happy with the build so long as it will put me at 60 fps ultra in GTA V/Skyrim Special Edition/Overwatch at 1600x900. I can always upgrade to a LGA 1151 socket board and i7-6700k come tax return time. Right now I'm pulling together a real frankenbuild here. My main question lies in the case I'll be using. I'm using an ancient ass tower as it belonged to a family friend that passed away and he'd love to see it used in a fresh build. I'm currently trying to figure out it if it's even going to be possible though due to temperatures and all. What sort of case fans would you recommend? The air flow from the top/bottom is nonexistent and the front is a no go either. Pretty much all air flow is generated from the tiny fan on the side of the case and any back case fans I buy. Here are some pictures of the case as it is right now:

http://imgur.com/a/oruZ4

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright guys so I'm going to be building my first personal computer in December. Here's the PC Part picker list.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($58.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($188.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $530.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-02 23:28 EDT-0400

The CPU/GPU/PSU are all gifts. The GPU is already purchased so that is set in stone. The CPU/PSU price is my set budget for the two as my brother wants to contribute to my build as a Christmas gift. I already have the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 board and the 8 GB DDR3-1600 RAM, they were both gifts from a friend that was upgrading (as well as a 950 mini I won't be using). I'm happy with the build so long as it will put me at 60 fps ultra in GTA V/Skyrim Special Edition/Overwatch at 1600x900. I can always upgrade to a LGA 1151 socket board and i7-6700k come tax return time. Right now I'm pulling together a real frankenbuild here. My main question lies in the case I'll be using. I'm using an ancient ass tower as it belonged to a family friend that passed away and he'd love to see it used in a fresh build. I'm currently trying to figure out it if it's even going to be possible though due to temperatures and all. What sort of case fans would you recommend? The air flow from the top/bottom is nonexistent and the front is a no go either. Pretty much all air flow is generated from the tiny fan on the side of the case and any back case fans I buy. Here are some pictures of the case as it is right now:

http://imgur.com/a/oruZ4

The AMD CPU is really unfortunate, but as long as you aware of that and plan to get something decent down the line I guess it doesn't hurt too much. I'd suggest spending less on it if anything, since it seems to be a placeholder.

The PSU is just as unfortunate. 750W is overkill and the CX series is junk. Don't spend $70 on a bad PSU, an EVGA 500B would be better, cheaper and still provide plenty of power for a single GPU setup. Or you could step up a bit more and get an actually nice PSU. This is cheaper than the CX and much better.

Noctua makes great fans. Lot of fans are pretty good now, don't know enough about what's currently available to make a specific recommendation beyond Noctuas.

Anduril

Hey guys, tried asking this in the more appropriate thread, but got no replies, so I'm trying my luck here too.

I currently have a Minix X8 for my media needs and it works well enough for the money. But it's on Android, which, while having its advantages, also makes it pretty crappy for my second HTPC wish: a retro gaming platform/steam streaming device.

So I've been looking at Windows HTPCs these last few days. I'm looking for something with a relatively low standby power usage and passively cooled that I could use as a Kodi device + Plex server, 4k video support for being a bit future-proof, USB 3.0 for an external hard drive with all the media and powerful enough for Steam streaming. Something like this, but with a newer/better CPU. Maybe this but less fugly and more black? :)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm a bit out of the loop regarding these low cost SoCs and their video decoding/Steam streaming support.

I don’t want to spend more than £600 on a gaming PC but managed to get £150 in Amazon vouchers 

So I was looking at gaming PCs from Amazon which are £750 max in price (with vouchers then bringing it down to £600) and came across this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J1OGA2W/

Is this any good for 1080p gaming? Is it worth £600 or are there better alternatives from Amazon

kikonawa

I don’t want to spend more than £600 on a gaming PC but managed to get £150 in Amazon vouchers 

So I was looking at gaming PCs from Amazon which are £750 max in price (with vouchers then bringing it down to £600) and came across this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01J1OGA2W/

Is this any good for 1080p gaming? Is it worth £600 or are there better alternatives from Amazon
Seems like a good setup if you dont want to build a pc yourself

I have some problems with HDMI audio on my new build that I am unable to find a solution for on google. I have my PC hooked up to my TV and then the Tv connected to a soundbar through ARC or whatever it's called. On my PC it seems to be Nvidia HD audio handling the audio. It comes from my GTX 1070. Now to the problem:

It seems like the levels are way too high and I get audio saturation/crackling when things get loud (i.e. some songs and also dialogue when people are yelling and so on). Nothing I try seem to make any difference. I've installed and reinstalled the drivers. Tried to get realtek to handle the sound through my motherboard (to no success, since Nvidia seems to be the only device that will give me sound) and ofc I've tried to simply lower the levels under properties while also enabling loudness etc.

Maybe I should add that I had the exact same setup on my old PC without problems.

Any suggestions?

luffeN

Hello all!

I would like to build a PC for work and I want to start fresh. If possible, I would like to fit all in a small case/shuttle. I use translation software, Office 365 and other text-programs. My monitor is a Dell 27 inch with 2560x1440 resolution, 144hz and G-Sync.

1. Is there a CPU with an onboard GPU strong enough to drive 2560x1440 @120hz?
2. G-Sync will not work without a Nvidia GPU, but the monitor should work regardless, right?
3. Budget: If possible for about 500 Euro without Windows 10

I am thinking about an i5-6500, 8 GB RAM, possibly a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD. Wireless either via motherboard or external adapter. I did not closely follow AMD in the CPU department for the last few years.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Building in Germany/Austria

Hello all!

I would like to build a PC for work and I want to start fresh. If possible, I would like to fit all in a small case/shuttle. I use translation software, Office 365 and other text-programs. My monitor is a Dell 27 inch with 2560x1440 resolution, 144hz and G-Sync.

1. Is there a CPU with an onboard GPU strong enough to drive 2560x1440 @120hz?
2. G-Sync will not work without a Nvidia GPU, but the monitor should work regardless, right?
3. Budget: If possible for about 500 Euro without Windows 10

I am thinking about an i5-6500, 8 GB RAM, possibly a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HDD. Wireless either via motherboard or external adapter. I did not closely follow AMD in the CPU department for the last few years.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: Building in Germany/Austria

1. I'm not sure about the 120 Hz part, but otherwise pretty much anything recent from Intel (Skylake is what I'm thinking right now) will do 1440p60 desktops, just make sure you're using DisplayPort.
2. Yes.

Unless you're willing to be patient, just buy an i5-6500 and you should be happy :)

luffeN

1. I'm not sure about the 120 Hz part, but otherwise pretty much anything recent from Intel (Skylake is what I'm thinking right now) will do 1440p60 desktops, just make sure you're using DisplayPort.
2. Yes.

Unless you're willing to be patient, just buy an i5-6500 and you should be happy :)

Thank you. Patient why? Anything new and cool coming soon? I will get a new internet connection in about ten days at home. If that works out then I will (probably) proceed with the PC build.

Can any of the good folks here recommend the best( brand-wise, not sure if there's much difference) GTX 1070 for the following setup:

Geforce GTX 750ti
i5-4690k
MSI z97-gaming 5
600watt Corsair CXM PSU

Just upgraded the RAM in July from 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz to 16. Does current specs inhibit the 1070 in any way? I'd like to play current stuff like Gears 4/FH3/ Titan-fall 2 on high setting and possibly dabble in a little 4k/30fps, or at least 1440p,and VR.

ISee

Can any of the good folks here recommend the best( brand-wise, not sure if there's much difference) GTX 1070 for the following setup:

Geforce GTX 750ti
i5-4690k
MSI z97-gaming 5
600watt Corsair CXM PSU

Just upgraded the RAM in July from 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz to 16. Does current specs inhibit the 1070 in any way? I'd like to play current stuff like Gears 4/FH3/ Titan-fall 2 on high setting and possibly dabble in a little 4k/30fps, or at least 1440p,and VR.

The number one picks are the msi x/z 8g, Asus strix 1070/oc or the gigabyte xtreme gaming. Very sadly the gigabyte g1 gaming falls a bit behind this time around, which is a bit sad because the 9xx g1 models were extremely good (even the best imo). Newer EVGA cards seems to have problems atm because of bad vram cooling, so I'd stay away from the for now.

If you're looking for cheaper cards with good out of the box overclocking you can go for the iChill x3, palit game rock/gainward phoenix (practically the same cards). Zotacs new amp extrem also seems to be fine.

And yes the rest of your system is fine.

The number one picks are the, Asus strix 1070/oc or the gigabyte xtreme gaming. Very sadly the gigabyte g1 gaming falls a bit behind this time around, which is a bit sad because the 9xx g1 models were extremely good (even the best imo). Newer EVGA cards seems to have problems atm because of bad vram cooling, so I'd stay away from the for now.

If you're looking for cheaper cards with good out of the box overclocking you can go for the iChill x3, palit game rock/gainward phoenix (practically the same cards). Zotacs new amp extrem also seems to be fine.

And yes the rest of your system is fine.

Thanks bud. I don't really dabble too much in overclocking yet( though I did get the 'k' 4690 in case I ever do). Is this the MSi you're referencing? I see a few different prices on it but I don't see any spec difference:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GXOX3SW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

vector824

Thank you. Patient why? Anything new and cool coming soon? I will get a new internet connection in about ten days at home. If that works out then I will (probably) proceed with the PC build.

New Intel Kaby Lake processors coming in the next few months. The current chipsets are Sky Lake. Specs are here.

It's going to be tough to get everything for under 500. With no GPU you're looking at 600 plus the Windows key.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€207.91 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€99.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€46.76 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€77.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.84 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case (€43.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€49.70 @ Mindfactory)
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-80 19.5 CFM 80mm Fan (€6.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-SSR2-80 19.5 CFM 80mm Fan (€6.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €590.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 13:46 CET+0100

enewtabie

Thanks bud. I don't really dabble too much in overclocking yet( though I did get the 'k' 4690 in case I ever do). Is this the MSi you're referencing? I see a few different prices on it but I don't see any spec difference:

EVGA has released a VBIOS update for the 1070/1080 cards. I've had my 1070 FTW since August with no issues, but their customer service is excellent so I wouldn't count them out as their cards are excellent. Any 1070/1080 after 11/1 will be updated from the factory as well.

Zotac, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte all make good card too, Just figure out what features you want extra as they all stay in the same relative range.

ISee

Yes sir.

Also a msi gaming x for just under $400? That's insanely good. I paid 465€ for mine just a month ago. Granted gears 4 was included but still. Go for it if it fits your case. No thinking needed.

EVGA has released a VBIOS update for the 1070/1080 cards. I've had my 1070 FTW since August with no issues, but their customer service is excellent so I wouldn't count them out as their cards are excellent. Any 1070/1080 after 11/1 will be updated from the factory as well.

Zotac, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte all make good card too, Just figure out what features you want extra as they all stay in the same relative range.

I'm not too 'in the know' on any extra features per se, I just would like to play stuff like Gears 4/Forza H3 etc etc on high/very high and 4k whenever possible. 750ti has served me well( it was the best card I could afford at the time it was built) but I'm ready to upgrade. It's basically upgrading my PC to that level GPU vs the xbox scorpio next year.

Yes sir.

Also a msi gaming x for just under $400? That's insanely good. I paid 465€ for mine just a month ago. Granted gears 4 was included but still. Go for it if it fits your case. No thinking needed.

Ok this is my last pain in the ass question, I swear :)! This is my case:

CoolerMaster Black HAF 912

Will that fit? Is there a particular site where I can research these kinds of issues?

EDIT: just went on coolermaster site and their compatibility look-up says my case is compatible with this card :)

enewtabie

I'm not too 'in the know' on any extra features per se, I just would like to play stuff like Gears 4/Forza H3 etc etc on high/very high and 4k whenever possible. 750ti has served me well( it was the best card I could afford at the time it was built) but I'm ready to upgrade. It's basically upgrading my PC to that level GPU vs the xbox scorpio next year.

Ok this is my last pain in the ass question, I swear :)! This is my case:

CoolerMaster Black HAF 912

Will that fit? Is there a particular site where I can research these kinds of issues?

I play Gears 4/Forza 3 on Ultra settings at 90 plus FPS on 2560x1440. 6700k/1070 FTW card. I was referring to RGB, do you care about the style of the card/How it looks,etc?

I play Gears 4/Forza 3 on Ultra settings at 90 plus FPS on 2560x1440. 6700k/1070 FTW card. I was referring to RGB, do you care about the style of the card/How it looks,etc?

No cosmetic preferences whatsoever, just as long as it fits my case.

And that performance is in the range of what I'm hoping for, granted I have the 4690k so not sure what the % difference is between that and your card.

luffeN

New Intel Kaby Lake processors coming in the next few months. The current chipsets are Sky Lake. Specs are here.

It's going to be tough to get everything for under 500. With no GPU you're looking at 600 plus the Windows key.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€207.91 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€99.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€46.76 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€77.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.84 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€49.70 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €590.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 13:46 CET+0100

Thank you! The 500 was just to see if it is really possible. Are there any good duo cores worth the investment?

Jackpot

Banned
I'm completely unfamiliar with what monitor brands are considered good nowadays. I game and work a lot at my PC, but usually on a budget. My room is small and I sit about a 2 feet from my monitor so size and weight are important. I want to be able to switch between a DVI input (my PC) and a VGA input (my console) at the touch of a button. i also need the HDMI port for a work laptop.

I have a GTX760 so I won't be taking advantage of ultra high resolutions or framerates.

£200-300
16:9 or 16:10
1920 x 1200 or 1920 x 1080
DVI, VGA, HDMI
No speakers
22-24 inch
Adjustable height
Nicest image I can get - no fading when you look at it at an angle.
Is 1ms response time worth it?

So far I've found the ASUS PB248Q and BenQ RL2455HM, though the latter has speakers adding to the price and weight.

vector824

Thank you! The 500 was just to see if it is really possible. Are there any good duo cores worth the investment?

No problem. The i3-6100 gets you to 500. But two cores is going to limit you in the future. It will definitely last longer with the i5 so I'd spend the extra 90.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€119.84 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€49.43 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €505.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 16:14 CET+0100

Edit:

Go with the one 8gb stick, then if you need more RAM in the future just drop in another 8gb.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€207.81 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€49.43 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €593.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 16:13 CET+0100

Then add a GPU and you have a decent 1080p gaming rig:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€207.81 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€91.82 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (€267.37 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €903.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 16:17 CET+0100

Zel3

PC Gaf help me out.

I'm a little confused on how lanes work on the current Intel CPUs.

Will a 6700k have enough lanes to run a Single GPU, m.2 drive and 2 SDD drives at their full capacity?

I don't know where else to ask this but are there any negatives to running in cloned mode (a monitor and a TV) as I greatly prefer it regarding my setup for convenience sake? Performance or IQ degradation?

I'm running a GTX 1070 .

amardilo

What are peoples opinions on recertified SSDs from Crucial?

I got an email about a recertified 960GB M500 Crucial SSD on sale from Crucial for £121. The drive first came out years ago and has since been replaced by the M550.

I currently have 2 480GB SanDisk Ultra II' in my PC in RAID 0 but I've run low on space and this seems like it could be a good replacement (have 2 960GB drives in RAID 0).

LilJoka

Tweaked build

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€208.88 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€79.19 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: A-Data XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€83.05 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€68.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (€267.37 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case (€81.41 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €890.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-03 21:40 CET+0100

I have a very specific question:

Has anyone built in a Fractal Design Core 500 with a Corsair SF450 PSU? It's what I want to go with (have heard bad things about the Silverstone SFX-L 500 PSU), but when I add the Corsair to my build on pcpartpicker, it gets flagged as incompatible with the case. Which is bizarre to me, because the case supposedly takes ATX PSUs, too.

I'm 99% sure pcpartpicker is wrong, but it's making me paranoid. The size for the Corsair SF450 is 125x63.5x100mm (WxHxD) according to this review (couldn't find dimensions on the Corsair site), and the specs for the case mention: "ATX PSUs, up to 170mm in length (non modular PSUs); ATX PSUs, up to 160mm in length (modular PSUs)."

That's mainly why I wanted to see if anyone had done this build with these specific parts, before I flag it as incorrect. I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I checked the "completed builds" with the PSU, but no one used it in the Core 500. Some Node 202s, though.

rac

Banned
I'll keep you updated, however its really unpredictable. So even if it seems to work for a day or two I have no idea...

edit:
voltmaybepnu42.png

Is that the voltage that I'm supposed to be looking at? It looks way off.

So the new psu I just put in shows the same voltage as the picture above, is it just wrong?

I really have no idea if getting a new psu helped. Hasn't crashed in wither 3 or gwent though. Holding my breath.

LilJoka

So the new psu I just put in shows the same voltage as the picture above, is it just wrong?

I really have no idea if getting a new psu helped. Hasn't crashed in wither 3 or gwent though. Holding my breath.

What voltage? There's lots.
Most of the values look completely wrong. I wouldn't trust anything you see there.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Has anyone built in a Fractal Design Core 500 with a Corsair SF450 PSU? It's what I want to go with (have heard bad things about the Silverstone SFX-L 500 PSU), but when I add the Corsair to my build on pcpartpicker, it gets flagged as incompatible with the case. Which is bizarre to me, because the case supposedly takes ATX PSUs, too.

I'm 99% sure pcpartpicker is wrong, but it's making me paranoid. The size for the Corsair SF450 is 125x63.5x100mm (WxHxD) according to this review (couldn't find dimensions on the Corsair site), and the specs for the case mention: "ATX PSUs, up to 170mm in length (non modular PSUs); ATX PSUs, up to 160mm in length (modular PSUs)."

That's mainly why I wanted to see if anyone had done this build with these specific parts, before I flag it as incorrect. I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I checked the "completed builds" with the PSU, but no one used it in the Core 500. Some Node 202s, though.

Dimensions are on the tech specs tab on Corsair's site, the ones you mentioned are right.

I'd say it's almost certainly an error on PCPP's part. That PSU has the same dimensions as Silverstone PSUs that are listed as compatible. Unless it does something weird like use non-standard screw holes or something, there's not much reason to believe it wouldn't work.

kennah

The Silverstone includes a SFX to ATX Bracket

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/sfx-to-atx-psu-adapter-bracket

The Corsair DOES NOT.

That is why it is coming up as incompatible. The Core 500 doesn't have any SFX mounting holes. (Which is interesting, because it's very similar in make to a Node 304, which does have SFX mounting holes)

EDIT: Looking at it again, you should be able to mount an SFX PSU in the Core 500, it has the same mounting holes as a Node 304. You'll just only be able to use two screws.

Bloodember

Hey guys, tried asking this in the more appropriate thread, but got no replies, so I'm trying my luck here too.

I currently have a Minix X8 for my media needs and it works well enough for the money. But it's on Android, which, while having its advantages, also makes it pretty crappy for my second HTPC wish: a retro gaming platform/steam streaming device.

So I've been looking at Windows HTPCs these last few days. I'm looking for something with a relatively low standby power usage and passively cooled that I could use as a Kodi device + Plex server, 4k video support for being a bit future-proof, USB 3.0 for an external hard drive with all the media and powerful enough for Steam streaming. Something like this, but with a newer/better CPU. Maybe this but less fugly and more black? :)

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm a bit out of the loop regarding these low cost SoCs and their video decoding/Steam streaming support.
Check out an Intel NUC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom