• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The support rep you spoke with just didn't know what they were talking about. The NAS and router external storage are two totally separate things. Your router does not need to support external storage to allow the NAS to function on your network.

You need to connect an Ethernet cable from the NAS to your new router/network. If the NAS is setup to pull an IP address via DHCP then it should work just fine. If it was ever previously statically assigned an IP address then that may need to change, but you would probably know if you did something like this.

Don't fret - it will work.

No such feature as connecting to a NAS via Ethernet, it's simply connecting via Ethernet.

Yes, connect to the old router, set up a new IP address to match the address scheme of the new router, then hook it up to the new router.

Yep. Asus support was utterly clueless. Spent some time on Dlink forums and had the problem sorted within a few posts. Just needed to change the IP address on the Asus router to match the one used by the NAS. Done and done. Though now I figured out that my Raid 1 is degraded so I have to sort that out. Both drives past the SMART test so I'll just back things up, cross my fingers, and rebuild.

mid83

1) New products come out all the time. We just had a major GPU refresh from NVIDIA and AMD this summer, but next year we're looking at newer cards again. Intel is releasing Kaby Lake and AMD the Zen processors early next year also. Samsung releases their 960 line of SSDs soon. So if you have some time waiting a few months to see what these processors can do might not be a bad idea.

2) $1200 can buy you a very capable PC for 1080 or 1440 resolution. 4k is still a little ways off for full spec at 60fps, 30fps is achievable. So, if you want to run 1080 or 1440 on Ultra, a pc TODAY should last 3-5 years. In a few months it could last even longer with the new refreshes coming out.

3) Newegg, Amazon are two of the biggest. I ordered everything for my rig from there.

Try pcpartpicker.com to mess around and get yourself familiar. Guys on here are more than happy to help you tweak it.

Sorry the late reply, but I completely forgot to check back for any responses.

You said $1200 could get me a good 1440 build. What price range are you looking at for a 4K build?

Popstar

PC Gaf help me out.

I'm a little confused on how lanes work on the current Intel CPUs.

Will a 6700k have enough lanes to run a Single GPU, m.2 drive and 2 SDD drives at their full capacity?
Lanes depend not on just the processor, but also the motherboard chipset. If you're getting a 6700K you're probably also getting a Z170 motherboard I'd imagine so you should be fine.

The Silverstone includes a SFX to ATX Bracket

http://www.corsair.com/en-ca/sfx-to-atx-psu-adapter-bracket

The Corsair DOES NOT.

That is why it is coming up as incompatible. The Core 500 doesn't have any SFX mounting holes. (Which is interesting, because it's very similar in make to a Node 304, which does have SFX mounting holes)

EDIT: Looking at it again, you should be able to mount an SFX PSU in the Core 500, it has the same mounting holes as a Node 304. You'll just only be able to use two screws.
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it! I'm relieved.

redlegs87

Are the Monitor suggestions on the first page still good or are there any ones I should look at as well since I am in need of a new monitor.

Roybr

Gaf, I need help!

I need a new GPU, and my options are a Fury X, 980ti and for some more a 1070.
I've got a Freesync ultrawide monitor and also want to dualboot linux. I sold my old card (390) because of problems with linux drivers.
If more information is needed, please let me know! Thanks!

shanafan

Playing around with my 1070 and Black Ops 2, and did unlimited framerate. Was achieving 180 FPS, but not sure I see any advantage with such. I mean, it still played "normal" as if I was playing 60 FPS.

Why do some players play at such high framerates?

Playing around with my 1070 and Black Ops 2, and did unlimited framerate. Was achieving 180 FPS, but not sure I see any advantage with such. I mean, it still played "normal" as if I was playing 60 FPS.

Does your monitor support 180Hz refresh?

Ashhong

HELP!

I was taking off the back side cover on my Fractal R4 and this grey thing fell out. Im not sure where it's from but it seems like the backplate of the CPU. What is it? Do I need it? It's not sticky at all and I don't know where I would stick it back

zVQDo

Edit: I don't know how to use new imgur app wtf is this can't find the link

https://imgur.com/a/zVQDo

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Running at a framerate (edit: not resolution) higher than your monitor supports doesn't provide much benefit. If you have a 60hz monitor it doesn't matter if it's 61 FPS or 600 FPS, the monitor is still only showing 60 frames in one second. A competitive situation is about the only time it makes a difference, so you have maximum responsiveness by minimizing frametimes. Not just "not below 60 FPS" but "not above 16.7ms per frame."

If the monitor supports a higher refresh rate (75hz, 120hz, 144hz, 165hz) then a higher framerate has the same advantages as 60 FPS vs 30. Smoother, more responsive, etc.

What would you guys say is the best 480 out right now? best 470? Kinda torn on which one to get at the moment.

MSI Gaming X or XFX GTR. MSI will be a quieter out of the box, but you can adjust the fan curve on the XFX to match it. XFX has a nifty removable fans and a good warranty on those fans.

HELP!

I was taking off the back side cover on my Fractal R4 and this grey thing fell out. Im not sure where it's from but it seems like the backplate of the CPU. What is it? Do I need it? It's not sticky at all and I don't know where I would stick it back

zVQDo

Edit: I don't know how to use new imgur app wtf is this can't find the link

https://imgur.com/a/zVQDo

Some sort of backplate, either from the motherboard or the CPU cooler. Kind of weird that it just fell, you don't know where it came from?

Ashhong

Running at a resolution higher than your monitor supports doesn't provide much benefit. If you have a 60hz monitor it doesn't matter if it's 61 FPS or 600 FPS, the monitor is still only showing 60 frames in one second. A competitive situation is about the only time it makes a difference, so you have maximum responsiveness by minimizing frametimes. Not just "not below 60 FPS" but "not above 16.7ms per frame."

If the monitor supports a higher refresh rate (75hz, 120hz, 144hz, 165hz) then a higher framerate has the same advantages as 60 FPS vs 30. Smoother, more responsive, etc.

MSI Gaming X or XFX GTR. MSI will be a quieter out of the box, but you can adjust the fan curve on the XFX to match it. XFX has a nifty removable fans and a good warranty on those fans.

Some sort of backplate, either from the motherboard or the CPU cooler. Kind of weird that it just fell, you don't know where it came from?

No, I was cutting a zip tie and it rocked the case and caused it to fall down. There's some sticky residue on it but it's very very slight and will not stick back..

Here it is on a random picture. It's def from the backplate. Could it be important for cooling or something?

teiresias

I need to buy a new monitor in the next week or so. My main criteria is that it be G-sync capable and support higher refresh rates.

I'm having a hard time deciding between a higher refresh rate capable 16:9 1440p monitor or shell out the extra $400 or so for either the Acer or Asus 21:9 ultrawides that only support up to 100Hz.

The screens are the same physical height - I think - regardless of aspect ratio, and I actually could feel the difference between a max 100hz vs a max 144hz in Windows (I played around with the PG278Q and the PG348Q at Fry's).

I'm leaning toward ultrawide, but am having a hard time pulling the trigger. I know a number of games I own on steam support ultrawide and I think it looks cool and probably has good use outside of gaming. I'm not a major fps player (online or otherwise) so refresh isn't the biggest deal for me.

I dunno, just looking for some advice I guess from anyone that made the move from 16:9 to ultrawide (I'd actually be moving from a 16:10 monitor to whatever I get). I think it's between the Acer and Asus Ultrawide and the Asus PG279Q 16:9 for my choices, unless someone has better alternatives.

Ashhong

I need to buy a new monitor in the next week or so. My main criteria is that it be G-sync capable and support higher refresh rates.

I'm having a hard time deciding between a higher refresh rate capable 16:9 1440p monitor or shell out the extra $400 or so for either the Acer or Asus 21:9 ultrawides that only support up to 100Hz.

The screens are the same physical height - I think - regardless of aspect ratio, and I actually could feel the difference between a max 100hz vs a max 144hz in Windows (I played around with the PG278Q and the PG348Q at Fry's).

I'm leaning toward ultrawide, but am having a hard time pulling the trigger. I know a number of games I own on steam support ultrawide and I think it looks cool and probably has good use outside of gaming. I'm not a major fps player (online or otherwise) so refresh isn't the biggest deal for me.

I dunno, just looking for some advice I guess. I think it's between the Acer and Asus Ultrawide and the Asus PG279Q 16:9 for my choices, unless someone has better alternatives.

Fir what it's worth I hate ultra wides. At least when the option is 1 ultrawide vs 2 16x9/10. I love having two monitors and I thought ultrawide would be great for me. But you lose so much space compared to two that it's just unusable. I also can't multitask like game on one screen and surf on another, easily. I say go for two of the Acer

teiresias

Fir what it's worth I hate ultra wides. At least when the option is 1 ultrawide vs 2 16x9/10. I love having two monitors and I thought ultrawide would be great for me. But you lose so much space compared to two that it's just unusable. I also can't multitask like game on one screen and surf on another, easily. I say go for two of the Acer

i'm not interested in a multi-monitor setup though, so it's really just a debate between the aspect ratios

shanafan

Running at a resolution higher than your monitor supports doesn't provide much benefit. If you have a 60hz monitor it doesn't matter if it's 61 FPS or 600 FPS, the monitor is still only showing 60 frames in one second. A competitive situation is about the only time it makes a difference, so you have maximum responsiveness by minimizing frametimes. Not just "not below 60 FPS" but "not above 16.7ms per frame."

Thanks!

Syncytia

I went from 2x 16:9 24" 1080p to the LG34UM95 1440p. I would say without hesitation to get that but you want G sync and that's a bit of a tougher sell because of the price of those things.... I'm hoping beyond hope there will be a deal on one for Black Friday.

For gaming... I don't know if it's huge massive upgrade. It's certainly very cool and switching to my X1 at 16:9 is kind of funky but the weirdness passes once you start playing.

For other stuff - music recording, photo editing, anything media related really, it's amazing and for the most part I like it a lot better than 2 monitors.

Ashhong

So I put in my new R9 Fury, but there's some weird noises going on now. I can't 100% tell if it's from my Fury or maybe my EVO212 cooler. I've never noticed it before putting in my Fury. But there's like this, almost staticy sound at certain times in games.

For example in League of Legends, when I'm on the buy screen, it makes the sound, but as soon as I close it it's silent. When I minimize from the game (fullscreen borderless) it instantly goes away. Going back into the game instantly brings it back.

If anybody has a plasma tv, it reminds me of the sound that it makes when you are watching a bright scene vs dark. There's a noticeable sound that I can't describe. Any ideas?

DBT85

Sounds like coil whine.

Congratulations, you cannot unhear!

Never noticed my 980ti had it when it was air cooled. Chuck it under a custom loop and now eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol.

Nothing quite like having a quiet yet pissed of dolphin in your pc.

Dio

Banned
Thanks to this thread I decided to get extensions and a few mnpctech metal billets and I really like how my mobo connection to the PSU looks now. It was weird and twisted at an angle that worried me a little before regarding pressure on the motherboard, but it looks pretty great now.

I also used regular Bitfenix Alchemy presleeved extensions rather than full on custom ones, they fit perfectly with them.

I appreciate Paskowitz making his post here:

Almost done...

shanafan

I like how I can turn on FPS counter with Nvidia's Shadowplay. Is there a similar "plugin" that shows resolution during gaming?

Ashhong

Sounds like coil whine.

Congratulations, you cannot unhear!

Never noticed my 980ti had it when it was air cooled. Chuck it under a custom loop and now eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol.

Nothing quite like having a quiet yet pissed of dolphin in your pc.

I thought I had coil whine before...but I guess not if this is it. It's unbearable!

I was able to look at the card at one point and the fans weren't even moving, but I heard it. I thought maybe it was from the EVO212 cooler. It sounds like a fan noise...

edit: Ok, so as I raise and lower the core clock using MSI Afterburner, I can hear the noise getting lower and higher. Is that coil whine?

Finaika

I thought I had coil whine before...but I guess not if this is it. It's unbearable!

I was able to look at the card at one point and the fans weren't even moving, but I heard it. I thought maybe it was from the EVO212 cooler. It sounds like a fan noise...

edit: Ok, so as I raise and lower the core clock using MSI Afterburner, I can hear the noise getting lower and higher. Is that coil whine?

https://youtu.be/HP73edpQwgc?t=1m45s

Chinbo37

I am going to build a new gaming PC using as many parts of my old PC as possible.

At the same time I will sell off the parts of my old gaming PC that I cannot use.

My question is, I have;

- MSI z77 Mpower MOBO
- i3770K (never OC'd)
- 4x4gb Corsair ram ddr3

Would it be better you think to sell them together or separate? In terms of how much I could get total. Will sell on ebay.

The replacement motherboard is finally coming today, which means I can crack on and finally get the build done. Only thing is this is my first PC I've built myself after previously doing it in college some 15 years ago.

I built it with a good friend that works in IT last Saturday so I pretty much how what's going on but he's not around this weekend so I'm flying solo this time round., it's just where all the cables (so many cables!) go on the motherboard. Will follow the manual and some walkthrough's online.

When we switched it on for the first time the fans booted up but nothing on screen. After 18 odd hours of trouble shooting, we tried some of the parts on his the next day and eventually surmised that the MB had a faulty port for the RAM and there was a bent pin on the motherboard that we didn't see previously (had no problem getting the CPU in place so I'm not taking blame for that one!). Also he thought it could be to do with the PSU so got that replaced too.

Anyway, my question is from the bios how difficult is it to set up? My mate put windows and the relevant drivers for everything on a USB stick, and again I'll probably follow a Youtube video from the bios settings onward.

Wish me luck!

It's a bit warm today but it made no difference playing BF1, my system was very quite. But when I tried AC:U the fans starts going very loud after 5 minutes. I don't understand why with BF1 it's normal. Not sure if it's CPU or GPU fan.

This never happened before, just today as it's warmer than usual.

Edit 20 mins later I Tried afterburner/riva tuner.

My GPU 980ti evga sc, usage is at 99%. Is this normal?

After 10 mins here are my stats for my GPU while playing AC:S.

GPU temp 75c, 99% usage and fan speed at 45%.
How's that?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

OK this is what i'm concerned with. i'm trying to decide what monitor to go with next - an ultra wide or 2 'normal' monitors.

why can't you multitask on it? is it because of the curve that makes each half of the screen look weird?

Question

Got myself 16 GB Ram (8+8) yesterday. I already had 8 (4+4). My question is does it matter if the bigger Ram is in slot 3 and 4 Dual Channel or should it be in 1 and 2?

right now its like this:
1. 4
3. 8
2. 4
4. 8

paskowitz

Thanks to this thread I decided to get extensions and a few mnpctech metal billets and I really like how my mobo connection to the PSU looks now. It was weird and twisted at an angle that worried me a little before regarding pressure on the motherboard, but it looks pretty great now.

I also used regular Bitfenix Alchemy presleeved extensions rather than full on custom ones, they fit perfectly with them.

I appreciate Paskowitz making his post here:

Nice!

I couldn't agree more....
I9QHwAT.jpg

KiKaL

I don't game as much as I used too. Generally been playing a lot of older games lately and indie games that are not too taxing. However, Battlefield 1 has hooked me and is showing my systems age. It runs decently but could be better. I know one bottleneck is clearly my ram but my CPU and GPU are probably also pretty dated at this point.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX
2x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA GTX760 4GB
500 Watt Antec PSU
1tb Seagate HDD
256GB Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD
Win10

What would be the most cost effective upgrade? Would bumping my ram to 16GB help much? If so, am I fine to buy another brand as long as it's DDR3 SD Ram 1600? I couldn't find the same sticks in 4gb. Or do I really need to do the full CPU/Mobo/Ram/GPU upgrade. Ideally. I would want to upgrade in phases.

paskowitz

I don't game as much as I used too. Generally been playing a lot of older games lately and indie games that are not too taxing. However, Battlefield 1 has hooked me and is showing my systems age. It runs decently but could be better. I know one bottleneck is clearly my ram but my CPU and GPU are probably also pretty dated at this point.

EVGA GTX760 4GB
500 Watt Antec PSU
1tb Seagate HDD
Win10

What would be the most cost effective upgrade? Would bumping my ram to 16GB help much? If so, am I fine to buy another brand as long as it's DDR3 SD Ram 1600? I couldn't find the same sticks in 4gb. Or do I really need to do the full CPU/Mobo/Ram/GPU upgrade. Ideally. I would want to upgrade in phases.

I would say your CPU, GPU and RAM... so basically everything... are holding you back. Your build is pretty dated.

IF you can get Intel Z87/Z97 (i5/i7 K) used, then that route will be most cost effective. A local Microcenter helps in that regard. Overclocked.net marketplace is a trust worthy online resource. Other than that, you've got eBay and CL for used parts (eh).

Otherwise, I would go new. Skylake i5, new mobo, DDR4 and an RX 470 or if budget allows, Nvidia 1060. For RAM, I would get 2x4gb and upgrade to 16Gb (+2x4gb) down the road or if you have remaining budget. 1. GPU 2. CPU 3. RAM

Thorgal

on another note , would going from a i7 3770 CPU to a I5 6600k be an upgrade or a downgrade for a pure high end gaming system ?

If it is the former , would such an upgrade be worth it ?

paskowitz

think iv'e finaly decided on my new headphones and mouse :

Mouse : LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM

Headphones : SENNHEISER HD 598

what say you PC Gaf ? solid purchases or do you know something better to recommend ?

I am wearing my 598s at work right now and they are glorious. They serve double duty for gaming as well and are a terrific gaming headphone. I used to have a set of Astro A50s and I just couldn't bare the bad sound quality. The 598s are a huge upgrade.

The 598s have a very nice warm and open sound to them. They lack a little bit of base, so explosions and gun shots don't quite have that "pop" (Vs. AKG, or BD), but voices, footsteps, environmental noises, basically everything else sounds terrific. Same deal with music, light on bass but great mids and good highs.

The proteus is a great mouse. I am not fond of the thumb buttons but that is personal taste.

KiKaL

I would say your CPU, GPU and RAM... so basically everything... are holding you back. Your build is pretty dated.

IF you can get Intel Z87/Z97 (i5/i7 K) used, then that route will be most cost effective. A local Microcenter helps in that regard. Overclocked.net marketplace is a trust worthy online resource. Other than that, you've got eBay and CL for used parts (eh).

Otherwise, I would go new. Skylake i5, new mobo, DDR4 and an RX 470 or if budget allows, Nvidia 1060. For RAM, I would get 2x4gb and upgrade to 16Gb (+2x4gb) down the road or if you have remaining budget. 1. GPU 2. CPU 3. RAM

Thanks, I was guessing that would be the case. So based on your order, are you recommending the GPU be the first upgrade? I will probably do the upgrade in two phases. One phase being the GPU and the second phase being the CPU/MOBO/Ram.

paskowitz

Thanks, I was guessing that would be the case. So based on your order, are you recommending the GPU be the first upgrade? I will probably do the upgrade in two phases. One phase being the GPU and the second phase being the CPU/MOBO/Ram.

Yup.

I'll be honest, your RAM and CPU are going to hold any new GPU you get back. That being said, getting a new GPU will net more FPS than CPU/RAM.

Ashhong

OK this is what i'm concerned with. i'm trying to decide what monitor to go with next - an ultra wide or 2 'normal' monitors.

why can't you multitask on it? is it because of the curve that makes each half of the screen look weird?

I guess it comes down to personal preference. It had nothing to do with the curve. But multitasking on the ultrawide means basically 2 4x3 monitors, or something like that. Even if they are big monitors, it's still not the same as 2 16x10 monitors.

Also, I like to do full screen gaming while browsing or watching a movie, and that's pretty much impossible to do on an ultrawide as well. Playing a movie on one half of the monitor leaves it with huge black bars on the top and bottom. It's just not ideal for me

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I guess it comes down to personal preference. It had nothing to do with the curve. But multitasking on the ultrawide means basically 2 4x3 monitors, or something like that. Even if they are big monitors, it's still not the same as 2 16x10 monitors.

Also, I like to do full screen gaming while browsing or watching a movie, and that's pretty much impossible to do on an ultrawide as well. Playing a movie on one half of the monitor leaves it with huge black bars on the top and bottom. It's just not ideal for me

hmm, this sounds a lot like my use case.

when you "full screen" game on ultra wide for a game that doesn't support that resolution- how does it usually end up? with black bars on the left & right?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

EVGA GTX760 4GB
500 Watt Antec PSU
1tb Seagate HDD
Win10

I'd definitely upgrade the CPU/motherboard/RAM first (and maybe the PSU). That CPU is comparable to late Core2Quads. Not even the first Core i-series. 760 isn't great but will get the job done for a bit longer if necessary.

KiKaL

Okay, looks like I will most likely save up a bit and use the holidays to possibly upgrade everything. I appreciate the advice.

Ashhong

hmm, this sounds a lot like my use case.

when you "full screen" game on ultra wide for a game that doesn't support that resolution- how does it usually end up? with black bars on the left & right?

I honestly don't remember..I only used it for about a day before deciding it wasn't for me, and I only did League of Legends lol. I do imagine you have black bars though. It's like playing an old 4x3 game on a 16x9 monitor. I couldn't give up the convenience of gaming and watching and watching a show at the same time in full screen, even if Ultrawide looks amazing on it's own. If you have space for Ultrawide AND a 16x9 maybe that would be ok

Crossposting my reddit post for maximum help:

Troubleshooting Help:
*What is your parts list? *
i5 4670k
16gb RAM
4gb Sapphire R9 Fury
256gb Samsung 850 EVO
Corsair RM650

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

Hi everyone,
I installed a R9 Fury last night to replace my MSI R9 270, and discovered noise issues coming from somewhere within my tower. It increases and decreases with the core clock speed so I believe it is coil whine. Around 850-900mhz it goes away.

So my question is this: I used to game on a R9 270 and noticed no coil whine. Now the 270 uses much less power than the Fury, is this the main factor? I was also considering the MSI 8gb RX480 which uses less power as well. Is this likely to produce less, maybe even no, coil whine? The below reviews show that the 480 uses about 100w less when gaming

http://www.eteknix.com/msi-gtx-1060-gaming-x-graphics-card-review/11/

http://www.eteknix.com/sapphire-nitro-oc-r9-fury-graphics-card-review/10/

Also, on my power supply I used the cable that has 2 8pin connectors on it to power the connectors on my GPU. Would it possibly help to use 2 cables, 1 8pin connector each? I am also aware that apparently the Corsair RM series is not the best. I would really like to avoid getting a new PSU at this point.

Thank you for any help! Super frustrating to hear this noise after finally deciding on this GPU after days of agonizing contemplation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom