• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostEther

Neo Member
I wish AMD released their new GPU's next month since I'm getting a new monitor (3440x1440) my 970 won't cut it much anymore. I guess I'll have to hold out until the 1080 Ti or Vega equivalent since I bet I'll regret jumping on the 1080 right now and the Ti release is close but I also heard rumors that Nvidia won't even do a Ti version this generation because the Titan X Pascal is a cut down version already of the GP102 chip.Do you guys think there'll be something announced at GDC?

nkarafo

I searched around the internets a bit and i hear that Gigabyte 1060 cards suffer from coil whine. Should i go for a MSi instead?

Which 1060 brand is the best you think?

Yeah, luckily I have mine mounted so I don't have to use the stand. The Predator logo is a bit much, but overall it's not so bad.

Good luck on the panel!

Thanks! Panel is ok. A little bit of IPS glow on the bottom right but it's very little. I need to mount this thing cause I really don't like the look of the stand. Why do they do this? I'm using a 27" 1440p IPS dell and it's so sleek and elegant looking next to the Predator

Did ram jump up in price recently, I swore it wasnt these prices around 6 months ago.

Yeah. I paid about £80 for 2x8GB 3200 sticks in June but now cost £122 for the exact same ones. I thought it was just Brexit but no other parts have increased that much.

For 32GB i remember it was about £190 but now cost £230.

Yeah. I paid about £80 for 2x8GB 3200 sticks in June but now cost £122 for the exact same ones. I thought it was just Brexit but no other parts have increased that much.
Apparently there's a RAM production shortage that won't alleviate until maybe Q4 2017, due to mobile taking up more production from fabs.

Apparently there's a RAM production shortage that won't alleviate until maybe Q4 2017, due to mobile taking up more production from fabs.

Oh ok. I don't plan on building a new PC until towards the end of 2018 or maybe 2019 so I'm OK. The only part I will upgrade is maybe my GPU. Cpu/ram should last a good while yet.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Tomorrow I'm finally planning to get started on overclocking my 7700k.
What speeds have you guys been able to get 24/7 stable so far?

I used to just use prime 95 and if an overclock could run for 24 hours straight then I called it stable. However, with modern processors it seems like you also need to run a benchmark that can stress the avx registers of the cpu. However, this makes it run hotter and consume more power, so you probably wouldn't want to run the AVX version of prime 95 for 24 hours right?

I read this excellent guide: http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/ and I'll probably start off just using Asus realbench. Once I get that stable then I'll run other stress tests as well, before finally keeping my tradition of running the 24 hour (older, non-avx) prime 95 stress test.

Weevilone

Tomorrow I'm finally planning to get started on overclocking my 7700k.
What speeds have you guys been able to get 24/7 stable so far?

I used to just use prime 95 and if an overclock could run for 24 hours straight then I called it stable. However, with modern processors it seems like you also need to run a benchmark that can stress the avx registers of the cpu. However, this makes it run hotter and consume more power, so you probably wouldn't want to run the AVX version of prime 95 for 24 hours right?

I read this excellent guide: http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/31/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/ and I'll probably start off just using Asus realbench. Once I get that stable then I'll run other stress tests as well, before finally keeping my tradition of running the 24 hour (older, non-avx) prime 95 stress test.

You're going to hit a temp wall with any AVX instructions if you don't de-lid, unless of course you got some crazy golden sample. I'm stable at 5GHz with 1.37ish volts but Realbench stress test hits 97C pretty quickly with a Noctua DH-14. Water might do better.

Celcius

°Temp. member
hmm, I'm using an NH-D14 myself. I'll aim for 5ghz but I may have to settle for a little less as I'd like to be able to run programs with avx usage as well.

Weevilone

hmm, I'm using an NH-D14 myself. I'll aim for 5ghz but I may have to settle for a little less as I'd like to be able to run programs with avx usage as well.

Kaby has a feature where you can run the multiplier lower when AVX is running if you don't want to delid. And when I say delid, I am referring to changing out the thermal interface between the die and heat spreader. So delid / relid.

Hey guys, does anyone knows if the ASUS ROG G20 (i7-6700, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1070) for $1,400 a good purchase. The only reason I'm interested in it is because of the form factor and I saw it in real life and was impressed.

Hey guys, does anyone knows if the ASUS ROG G20 (i7-6700, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1070) for $1,400 a good purchase. The only reason I'm interested in it is because of the form factor and I saw it in real life and was impressed.

You could build a better PC for the same amount of money, and if you use an ITX case, you can probably achieve a similar form factor assuming the ROG G20 isn't crazy tiny.

Also it will be way easier to upgrade than a custom ASUS thing.

Also ASUS' customer service is the worst of any tech company I've dealt with so I would never spend that much money on something made by them.

edit: like this build for example

better CPU (i7-7700K), awesome CPU cooler that will let you overclock a ton, faster RAM, SSD and HDD, nice EVGA 1070, nice case.

and it's ITX. is it as thin as the asus? no, but it's a way better investment.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.48 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($127.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1342.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-05 23:36 EST-0500

You could build a better PC for the same amount of money, and if you use an ITX case, you can probably achieve a similar form factor assuming the ROG G20 isn't crazy tiny.

Also it will be way easier to upgrade than a custom ASUS thing.

Also ASUS' customer service is the worst of any tech company I've dealt with so I would never spend that much money on something made by them.

edit: like this build for example

better CPU (i7-7700K), awesome CPU cooler that will let you overclock a ton, faster RAM, SSD and HDD, nice EVGA 1070, nice case.

and it's ITX. is it as thin as the asus? no, but it's a way better investment.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.48 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($127.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($98.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1342.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-05 23:36 EST-0500
The actual case seems to be bigger than the ASUS case, which is slightly bigger than and Xbox One. Though this PC is really tempting. I know you'll argue otherwise, bit what would be a good place to build this if I didn't want to build myself?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Will Vega likely be a good buy when it releases? I'm really interested in gaming at 4K with freesync.

I wish AMD released their new GPU's next month since I'm getting a new monitor (3440x1440) my 970 won't cut it much anymore. I guess I'll have to hold out until the 1080 Ti or Vega equivalent since I bet I'll regret jumping on the 1080 right now and the Ti release is close but I also heard rumors that Nvidia won't even do a Ti version this generation because the Titan X Pascal is a cut down version already of the GP102 chip.Do you guys think there'll be something announced at GDC?

There is a 1080 Ti coming you can bet your house on it and it is very likely releasing around April, definitely before aby Vega cards which should arrive May.

Will Vega likely be a good buy when it releases? I'm really interested in gaming at 4K with freesync.

i imagine vega will be similar to the GTX 1000 series of cards but just priced a bit cheaper. i don't see amd having anything that out performs nvidia cards. i'm happy with my 1070 and don't think there will be anything worth upgrading to until the next round of cards come out.

ISee

I searched around the internets a bit and i hear that Gigabyte 1060 cards suffer from coil whine. Should i go for a MSi instead?

Which 1060 brand is the best you think?

Has nothing to do with gigabyte. Can also happens on a asus, MSI or 'insert brand name here' 1060.
As you aren't looking to overclock go for for something cheaper (just avoid the founders edition). No need to get a top of the line 1060 (imo).

But personally I think msi is offering great 10xx cards this generation. I went with the msi 1070 gaming X (I initially bought a gigabyte 1070 gaming x but i was constantly power limited). On the msi I'm able to reach stable 2040mhz on the core and 9500 mhz on the vram (Samsung ddr5) while temperatures stay below 66°C.
The maximum stable OC was at ~2060mhz, but I always go a bit lower.

Josemsar

Neo Member
Guys, would you recommend getting a 7700 for someone who is not going to do OC or Delid? The temp stuff I've been reading about is giving me some fear...

LilJoka

Guys, would you recommend getting a 7700 for someone who is not going to do OC or Delid? The temp stuff I've been reading about is giving me some fear...

I'm running 4.8ghz without delid on a noctua nh u14s. There is no requirement to delid, but most have to on normal cooling for 5ghz.

Josemsar

Neo Member
Thank you for your answers...

How do you see this? (It´s in spanish but I guess that's not a problem)

Tlf322v.jpg

Tlf322v.jpg

looks like a solid build. only things i can think of are:

see if you can get faster RAM. shouldn't really add much to the price. if it is too much then it's not a huge deal. also your motherboard is mini itx so i assume your case is quite small too. just make sure you can get that CPU cooler in there.

vector824

A ddr4 3000mhz 8gb stick is $20 MORE than what I paid last year...

Tlf322v.jpg

To echo the other responses, make sure that cooler isn't too tal and get 2400mhz or 3000mhz RAM. Then you're set.

ISee

Tlf322v.jpg

Nothing wrong here, just some input.

You could get faster ddr4 ram. It further boosts cpu performance. The i7 is a great foundation for future gpu upgrades and the 480 is a capable card but an i5/1070 combo would give you better overall performance.

question: so how durable those well built PCs are? I always get fucked with laptops, they don;t seem to last me for more than 3 years (maybe I am buying cheap ones)

So If I spend a 1K on a desktop, how long can I expect it to last without problems? in terms of upgrades, we are talking just CPU and video card down the road?

Do I have to go into bios to disable onboard graphics [7700k asus maximus ix code] or does it happen automatically if I have my monitors hooked up to a dedicated gpu?

Josemsar

Neo Member
looks like a solid build. only things i can think of are:

see if you can get faster RAM. shouldn't really add much to the price. if it is too much then it's not a huge deal. also your motherboard is mini itx so i assume your case is quite small too. just make sure you can get that CPU cooler in there.

Nothing wrong here, just some input.

You could get faster ddr4 ram. It further boosts cpu performance. The i7 is a great foundation for future gpu upgrades and the 480 is a capable card but an i5/1070 combo would give you better overall performance.

Thank you both. I will check RAM stuff (Frequency and CL you recommend?). Regarding the i5/1070. The computer it´s also for programming, and I´m usually with several Virtual Machines, TONS of Chrome tabs and so... So I will stick wit the i7. Also, (As I work with Linux based OS) it seems that AMD is getting better open source drivers regarding this last gen.

Weevilone

Do I have to go into bios to disable onboard graphics [7700k asus maximus ix code] or does it happen automatically if I have my monitors hooked up to a dedicated gpu?

You can tell it in BIOS which video output to prefer, but it can't be explicitly deactivated. My Hero board is constantly deciding to ignore the BIOS setting and set itself to integrated. Auto doesn't seem to work properly. I've also tested this on the Tuf Mark 1 with the 0701 BIOS. It is jacked up there too. When this happens it will usually boot to Windows if I wait long enough, but I can't see it POST or enter BIOS without switching my DisplayPort cable to the integrated port.

From there I can select PEG or Auto, swap cable back and be ok until it happens again.

Thank you both. I will check RAM stuff (Frequency and CL you recommend?). Regarding the i5/1070. The computer it´s also for programming, and I´m usually with several Virtual Machines, TONS of Chrome tabs and so... So I will stick wit the i7. Also, (As I work with Linux based OS) it seems that AMD is getting better open source drivers regarding this last gen.

i would recommend looking at RAM with anything between 2400-3200. personally, my RAM can go up to 3200 but I only run it at 2666 as I'm only playing games. if you are doing programming and working with virtual machines then you'll definitely want to get faster ram and keep that i7.

Weevilone

i would recommend looking at RAM with anything between 2400-3200. personally, my RAM can go up to 3200 but I only run it at 2666 as I'm only playing games. if you are doing programming and working with virtual machines then you'll definitely want to get faster ram and keep that i7.

I would argue that the faster RAM is likely more useful for improving minimum frametimes in games than helping with programming or VM tasks.

Vipu

Banned
question: so how durable those well built PCs are? I always get fucked with laptops, they don;t seem to last me for more than 3 years (maybe I am buying cheap ones)

So If I spend a 1K on a desktop, how long can I expect it to last without problems? in terms of upgrades, we are talking just CPU and video card down the road?

You mean until hardware gets too slow or?
CPU, memory, motherboard, powersupply have lasted very long for 5 years+ now.
GPUs get old pretty fast, about every 3-4 year.

Hardware doesnt break or something until you break it so they last as long as you bare to use it and can live with it being slower than new stuff.

You mean until hardware gets too slow or?
CPU, memory, motherboard, powersupply have lasted very long for 5 years+ now.
GPUs get old pretty fast, about every 3-4 year.

Hardware doesnt break or something until you break it so they last as long as you bare to use it and can live with it being slower than new stuff.

talking about hardware failure

ISee

In this case i'd recommend going with more ram (32gb) instead of faster 16gb.

Josemsar

Neo Member
In this case i'd recommend going with more ram (32gb) instead of faster 16gb.

The plan for now is going for 1 stick of 16GB so I can upgrade to 32 dual channel once I have some more money, but I do not think I will require 32 GBs in a while thanks to Docker

Spine E Lobster

Neo Member
Did one real quick.

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($56.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($43.74 @ B&H)
Storage: Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 470 4GB STRIX Video Card ($169.99 @ Jet)
Case: DIYPC DIY-N8-BK MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.88 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 400W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $562.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-05 16:29 EST-0500

Edit: Modified slightly because I derped on the SSD a bit, and additionally revised since Quantum Squid pointed out an aftermarket cooler was unnecessary.

Now I admit, that's not including the price of the operating system, but that's because you can find W10 keys around for a fair bit cheaper than what the site suggests. You can downsize the GPU to a 1050 Ti to save a little more if need be, and if being able to see the insides doesn't matter so much, there are cheaper but still good cases available. It's got all the essentials though, and leaves you guys some room to upgrade in future if you want to ease him into this stuff.
Thank you, I'm looking forward to getting started. I'm going to have my 11 yr old son help me build this and hopefully we'll get the confidence and experience to keep doing this going forward.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to getting started. I'm going to have my 11 yr old son help me build this and hopefully we'll get the confidence and experience to keep doing this going forward.

Hope it works out. I admittedly did this only last year, but building PCs with your Dad is honestly a pretty cool father-son bonding thing.

My front I/O has a switch for the fans, with a low, something I assume is either medium or off, and high. None of the options seem to make a tangible change to the fan speed. Is this wrong?

My front I/O has a switch for the fans, with a low, something I assume is either medium or off, and high. None of the options seem to make a tangible change to the fan speed. Is this wrong?

Depends. Your motherboard may have - if not probably has - automatic fan control which overrides any of the physical settings.

Weevilone

My caee has these, so I ripped them out when I built the PC. The motherboard is a far better way to control fan speeds, so I didn't want some confusing, unused fan controls on the case.

Perhaps yours aren't even connected to anything.

Weevilone

The plan for now is going for 1 stick of 16GB so I can upgrade to 32 dual channel once I have some more money, but I do not think I will require 32 GBs in a while thanks to Docker

Why not buy a pair of 8GB sticks now so you can have dual channel 16GB for now, then add another pair of 8GB sticks later?

Unless you plan for 64GB someday there's no reason not to. Of course if you desire high speed memory you'll likely shoot yourself in the foot when all sticks aren't pre-tested together.

Hi experts! :)

I have a three year old PC that still runs all games I want to play but I'd like to upgrade the graphics card. I have this:

http://m.canadacomputers.com/mobile/itemid/061075
(Click on specifications)

Can I just go buy a GTX 1070 and replace the old 660? Or is the rest of the computer too old to make that possible?

Thanks for any advice! Still on the newish side to gaming on PC.

Weevilone

Could anyone recommend me a good adn reliable ATX Motherboard for a Core i7 7700k?

Not really looking to use SLI

You should be fine with any of the major players (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI) imo.

That being said, I've had quality issues with Asus as of late and I anecdotally have friends in that boat too. I don't know how other manufacturers are doing.

Receipts:
-My Asus Z97 board lost its Ethernet port and 1 of the PCIE slots for no apparent reason. I practice good behavior with surge protection, battery backup, etc.
-I replaced it with an Asus Tuf Mark 1 Z270 board and it was DOA
-Swapped to a Z270 Maximus Hero and have had some BIOS strangeness that seems unnecessary since Z270 is pretty derivative. Then managed to snap off an M.2 mount point using one of those tiny screwdrivers that you'd use for eyeglasses. (ie no unnecessary force)

Josemsar

Neo Member
Why not buy a pair of 8GB sticks now so you can have dual channel 16GB for now, then add another pair of 8GB sticks later?

Unless you plan for 64GB someday there's no reason not to. Of course if you desire high speed memory you'll likely shoot yourself in the foot when all sticks aren't pre-tested together.

Going MiniITX so only 2 mem..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom