• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2018-2019. High memory costs, now with more cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

draliko

It's never the right time to upgrade, the next best thing is always coming soon. I tend to upgrade when the bug hits but you might want to hold off a bit, at least until something goes on sale. The new cards could be anywhere from six months to a year or more away. I paid about the same for my 2080ti as I did for my previous card, which was a "great deal" with the current inflated pricing structure. While the current cards are overpriced, I don't know that they'll get any cheaper so if I were in your shoes, I'd at least keep my eyes peeled for a sale, or some sort of deal unless you think the next run will be soon, and cheaper. With the possible reported console strength and AMD possibly entering the higher-end market and making a stronger push into the market, the prices of everything might go down. It's a crapshoot.

For the side question, how close is the studio to the living room? Here's your excuse to route a signal cable through your walls.

HDMI pass-through plug.
I know it's never the right time sadly :) The bug hit me i'm just worried being on the verge of the new generation with a new competitor entering the gpu market (intel) that waiting a couple of months could actually pay off big. I think i'll read around a bit and maybe use bf to snag some deals, thanks in the meantime.
The room are adjacent, probably i'll need something like a 10 meters hdmi, so i think i'll make a new build and move it right under the tv

Contemplating picking this up:

I have a $15 off $75 coupon from eBay as well so it'd bring it down some more but I keep thinking BF will have some good deals on the AIB cards, I live near an MC too so there's that.
Couldn't find any reviews of the Visiontek Blower card, would really prefer an AIB but for $260, kinda hard to pass on, think I should wait?
Still need to pick up a case, PSU, and GPU.

Knch

Those building a new PC, remember to get one with bluetooth.
Pairing with the creative outlier gold true wireless buds have been a revelation.
Now i can take a shit with them streaming my vast muisc library.
They are sound pretty good already.
They work as wireless mic too!
If I turn up the volume on my Jamo S803 (they were on sale, I had to!) me, everyone else in the house and my neighbours can listen to my vast music library. No Bluetooth required! (Yes, I'm kidding, the old folks next door are as deaf as can be.)

Corrik

Looking for 32" VA panel monitor with 5ms response time. Either 4k/60 or 1440p/144.

Can anyone recommend me one / find me a good deal on one for black Friday.

I have a 9700k and 2080 Founders if that matters in your recommendation.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Need some feedback from the techies. I jumped on an Amazon deal for an MSI Triton X (small form factor PC) with an i7-9700k, RTX 2080 and 16 MB of RAM for $1500. It won't ship for a while so I could still cancel.

I'm not a big frame rate guy and am too old to seriously play competitive shooters anymore, so that's a secondary concern. I'm used to the 30 fps afforded to console serfs . If I hook this thing up to my 4k tv, what kind of performance would I Get with those specs? Right now I primarily use a Xbone One X.

I mostly play racing games (Forza series, F1, rally games) with the occasional FPS and will Get Cyberpunk day one.

Last edited:

evanft

Need some feedback from the techies. I jumped on an Amazon deal for an MSI Triton X (small form factor PC) with an i7-9700k, RTX 2080 and 16 MB of RAM for $1500. It won't ship for a while so I could still cancel.

I'm not a big frame rate guy and am too old to seriously play competitive shooters anymore, so that's a secondary concern. I'm used to the 30 fps afforded to console serfs . If I hook this thing up to my 4k tv, what kind of performance would I Get with those specs? Right now I primarily use a Xbone One X.

I mostly play racing games (Forza series, F1, rally games) with the occasional FPS and will Get Cyberpunk day one.

FPS will depend on what resolution and graphical settings you set it to. You can set the game itself to output something like 1440p and then have the GPU scale it up to 4k for your TV. That's what I do with most newer games on my 1080. With your 2080 that should give you a locked 60 fps in most titles with high settings. In anything older you'll probably be at 4k60 without much issue.

Does your TV support higher frame rates or variable refresh rates over HDMI?

Guileless

E evanft - thanks for the input. I have an older Sony 4k TV that's pretty basic so nothing fancy with higher frame rates. Although the Black Friday prices for tvs are such that I am tempted to upgrade it too, even though I'm fine with locked 60 fps with high settings.

Btw side question, any suggestion on how to hook up the pc to the tv ? pc is located in the studio, and tv in the living room.

Thanks all!

I have this kind of setup but only use the pc to play games in 4K in the living room.

I use a Lenovo backlit wireless keyboard with the built in track pad and a wireless xbox controller.

I use a syncwire brand 4k uhd hdmi cable run through the wall. You can buy adapter plates that mount on the wall you connect to, but i don't like that idea cause UHD can be finicky. So, i just drilled out a small hole in the sheetrock near the floor and stuck a small peice of PVC pipe cut flush into the hole (cut the depth of the hole). Ran the cable through it.

Last edited:

Athreous

I ended up buying a ryzen 3600x, 16gb ddr4 3000mhz and an Asus b450m Motherboard... My question is: Can this mobo hold it? I read that it heats too much with this processor... is it true?

Guileless

Doing some monitor shopping. Planned to get something fairly basic to use occasionally for strategy games while mostly keeping the PC hooked up to my 4k TV, but 1440p G-sync monitors can now be had for only $400. I had no idea.

Knch

I ended up buying a ryzen 3600x, 16gb ddr4 3000mhz and an Asus b450m Motherboard... My question is: Can this mobo hold it? I read that it heats too much with this processor... is it true?
Where the f* did you read that?! The only thing that heats up on (most) motherboards are the VRM, which are designed to work up to insanely high temperatures.

Athreous

Where the f* did you read that?! The only thing that heats up on (most) motherboards are the VRM, which are designed to work up to insanely high temperatures.
YouTube tech vlog said the mobo vrm could reach 100°c ++ with ryzen 5 3600x
That scared me a lot

Athreous

If you're going to do that, exchanging it for something with a pre-installed heatsink is probably a safer bet. (Not that you're likely to break anything)
Yeah, it's safer to get a better motherboard with good heatsinks, so I'll return the asus prime once it arrives and buy a better one.

draliko

as i said i'm trying to catch up on technology, and i need a confirmation, if i'm not mistaken it's still unsure if x470 chipset or x570 chipset will support ryzen 4XXX series right? I could do a partial upgrade (keeping the cpu and selling the 1080 for a 5700xt to use freesync), but knowing i won't be able to hit 60@4k on high setting in a lot of games is there anything similar to checkerboarding for pc? Could using integer scaling (1080p to 4k) be a solution while waiting for ampere or rdna2 (i prefer the latter onestly)?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I know AMD has 7nm cpus out already, but I am wondering how long I should wait to do a new build? I want something that will not bottleneck a 3080ti or the eventual 4080ti or 5080ti when they come out. This would be a 1440p 144fps/4k 60+ fps machine. Basically I am wondering how future proofed these CPUs are.

My current basic build would be:

CPU: AMD 3700x or intel 9900ks.
Motherboard: Whatever is good for the CPU
GPU: 2080ti (current) upgraded to a 3080ti when it comes out
Ram: 32gb
HDD: 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD
PSU: 800w
Cooling: Liquid

Are there any other reasons to wait? New 7nm AMD CPUs? Intel 7nm CPUs?

From what I understand the AM4 socket will be used in the AMD 4000 series so if I went 3700x I should be able to upgrade to the 4000 series correct?

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
There is no confirmation 4000 series is backward compatible.
If you no need a new PC, may as well wait, maybe another 9 months if you are not itching for an upgrade.

Right now, i may go with 3900X, the additional cores should help next gen games which are starting at 8 cores.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
There is no confirmation 4000 series is backward compatible.
If you no need a new PC, may as well wait, maybe another 9 months if you are not itching for an upgrade.

Right now, i may go with 3900X, the additional cores should help next gen games which are starting at 8 cores.
Thanks for your input. I am not itching to upgrade right now but possibly in like march or april.

Are there any other reasons to wait? New 7nm AMD CPUs? Intel 7nm CPUs?

From what I understand the AM4 socket will be used in the AMD 4000 series so if I went 3700x I should be able to upgrade to the 4000 series correct?
I think there's like one more ryzen launch before compatibility on current motherboards ends. But after that there likely will be new boards compatible for several future launches.

Also the next ryzen is likely to have 15+% IPC + slightly higher clocks, that should allow it to basically match or exceed intel on single thread, while killing it on multithread.

Just a relatively quick question for anyone who owns one of the new ASUS X570 boards. I’m looking at getting an X570-E and using some Corsair m.2 NVME PCIE4 SSD’s for it. I’m just wondering if these new cards with the big heatsinks work with these motherboards.

It’s been 8 years since my gaming PC was upgraded so this will be my first time using the m.2 connectors and it looks to me like they must be hidden under those massive heatsinks they’ve got covering the lower part of the motherboard. I will probably figure it out when I get them in hand but I wanted to check and see if anyone can give me any information first. Thanks in advance!

So I'm goin with leonidas' ultimate set

I7 9700K
Z370 Basic
2070 super

With 2x8 ddr4 ram, 1T ssd and hdd, and 650w gold PSU.

My questions are 1. I don't f*** with overclocking, is this still a good setup or am I buying high-tier parts for no reason?
And 2. What's up with the cpu needing a dedicated cooler?

I7 9700K
Z370 Basic
2070 super

My questions are 1. I don't f*** with overclocking, is this still a good setup or am I buying high-tier parts for no reason?
Why not go the AMD route? rYZEN 7 3700X is a better choice then your current cpu. You even get a capable cooler with it.
Plus if you eventually wish to upgrade, you will be able to do so on the AM4 socket, atleast for another generation (ryzen 4xxx series).

Why not go the AMD route? rYZEN 7 3700X is a better choice then your current cpu. You even get a capable cooler with it.
Plus if you eventually wish to upgrade, you will be able to do so on the AM4 socket, atleast for another generation (ryzen 4xxx series).
Honestly I've just always heard intel+nvidia were better and I just followed the neogaf pc thread guides for my builds. I have been hearing good things though about amd...

CPU gets hot, dude.

Yeah silly question, but if it needs it they should've packed one with it!

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)

I7 9700K
Z370 Basic
2070 super

That's a great setup even if you don't overclock. A decent $30-$40 air cooler should do the trick.
The reason for that is K CPUs are overclock-able which requires better cooling than the basic coolers they used to include in K SKUs. If you still have an old one laying around from an old build it should still work though, not that I'd suggest using it...

Non-K CPUs (9700, 9900, etc.) still come with the basic cooler.

9700K is the better choice for gaming. AMD does offer good value and is worth a look but the upgrade path on Zen has been an abysmal value.

CPUs these days lose value so fast, if you end up selling your old CPU you're probably going to eat at least half the cost when the new stuff is out.

For this reason I recommend buying a CPU that fits your needs today and keeping it as long as possible. When you really need to upgrade, say 3-4 years from now, both AMD/Intel will be on new sockets.

Last edited:
I can't wait til tax season. My 9600k went from being a great overclocker to a fucking lemon. I was running 5.2ghz @ about 1.33v for 5 months without a hitch. 24hour prime 95 stress? No problem. Temps never creaked past 87C. AVX offset of -3? no problem. Heavy workloads? Great.

Now the fucker is thermal throttling and can't even maintain 5 ghz @ 1.32v without blue screening in a prime 95 run 2 hours in. I do believe chip degradation hit me like a ton of bricks. I've got conductanaut on it, so my cooling isn't inadequate.

I'm just gonna run it at 4.8ghz for now, sell it online and just go bust for a 9900KS for the time being. I would be saddling up for 10th gen intel or maybe 4th gen ryzen, but I payed $260 for a motherboard, and I'm not gonna switch chipsets now after such a significant investment in a higher end motherboard. The 9900ks should last for a good long time considering they're binned 9900k's and should do 5ghz+ at higher voltages no problem.

Ascend

9700K is the better choice for gaming. AMD does offer good value and is worth a look but the upgrade path on Zen has been an abysmal value.
Seriously?

As for which CPU to go for... Leaving this here...;

Just build this bad boy for my brother.

Wow what a beast it’s so incredible. I find it even more incredible that even with all this it’s not really possible to play modern games at 4K !

Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-E
GPU: Zotac 2080Ti AMP Extreme
Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3200Mhz
SSD: Corsair Force MP600 PCIE4 NVME 1TB
PSU: Corsair Platinum HX850
Case: Corsair 270R
Monitor: LGE8 OLED 65”

A.Romero

Wow what a beast it’s so incredible. I find it even more incredible that even with all this it’s not really possible to play modern games at 4K !

How come? A 2080ti can reach 60fps on most games...

How come? A 2080ti can reach 60fps on most games...
Not red dead...

Maybe somethings wrong as well but when we cranked Witcher 2 at 4K on UBER mode it was only about to keep up 45 - 50 FPS and it was fluctuating so much it felt jerky. Because I can’t imagine Witcher 2 shouldn’t be able to be maxed even now?

A.Romero

Not red dead...

Maybe somethings wrong as well but when we cranked Witcher 2 at 4K on UBER mode it was only about to keep up 45 - 50 FPS and it was fluctuating so much it felt jerky. Because I can’t imagine Witcher 2 shouldn’t be able to be maxed even now?

RDR will run at 4k by using the right settings. There are a few videos around that explain what each setting does and the optimum configuration.

Regarding witcher 2, you mean uber sampling? If you are running at 4k you shouldn't need to activate uber sampling. Most likely you are running at a higher resolution.

You can easily run Witcher 3 at 4k with that hardware.

b6c.gif

I'm not sure why, but a friend of mine just gave me a box with a nice MSI mobo, i7 8700K, AIO CPU cooler, and 32GB of DDR4 plugged into it. I still have my old Fractal case and still have my old Asus Matrix 980ti in the closet. All I need is a PSU and an SSD and it'll be up and running. All-in-all not a bad day. Free stuff is great!

Mithos

Gold Member
It's closing in on actually ordering/buying my new computer (waiting and hoping for some good prices between xmas and new years before doing it)

Cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Cool: Dark Rock Pro 4
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB (Reference/Founders Edition)
Ram: Gigabyte AORUS RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
SSD: Kingston A2000 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME + Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
PSU: Corsair RM650 or RM750
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower

Now, a question to those of you that have Ryzen 3000 series and maybe specifically 3700x or above.

1. What cooler you using, STOCK or aftermarket AIR or watercooler AIO?
2. What is your temps when idle, gaming, stress testing?

I'm wondering if there is even a need for a cooler such as the Dark Rock Pro 4 (might be for silent cooling), since I've been reading that even with that cooler compared to stock cooler the CPU still have very high temps (80c+) in some games/stress testing.
Would be nice to hear from some 3700x+ owners.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Bought a "like new" 1080 ti for 660 CDN and sold it for 670 cdn a month later.

I couldn't max out RDR2 @ 1440p

Now I am waiting a few months for something new to come out.

PhoenixTank

Bought a "like new" 1080 ti for 660 CDN and sold it for 670 cdn a month later.

I couldn't max out RDR2 @ 1440p

Now I am waiting a few months for something new to come out.
Pascal is a weird anomaly on RDR2 - way lower perf than expected, alongside low GPU usage. 1080 Ti stomps practically everything else.
Don't know whether it is Rockstar or Nvidia that are at fault here.

O-N-E

Just finished a new 3900x 2080 Super build.

One word of advice. Always make sure to get RAM that your Motherboard is 100% guaranteed to work with off their official list.

I didn't know this going in, but thankfully it wasn't something more serious.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is this a good thread to ask for this stuff?
I have 3700x with Dark Rock pro 4 cooler, msi 2070 armor 8g and x570 gigabyte aorus elite motherboard. Only drives are 480gb nvme for system and 1tb nvme for games (both are corsair mp510)
I currently have it all in fractal define c silent case but since that gpu is starbing for air and I never had a window case, I've ordered grey Phanteks p600s case and have few quesitons if maybe anyone knows:
-P600S comes with 3x140mm phanteks fans. Are these good? I have 2x140mm be quiet silent wings 3 from current case which I can reuse.
-msi 2070 and gigabyte motherboard have some rgb but how do I control it all and how do I add some rgb/light inside the case to show it off? do I buy phanteks halos addon for existing fans or buy some other fans?
tl;dr - do I go rgb and how

longdi

Banned
For the fans, you have to try and hear which sound profile you like better.
i believe msi 2070 rgb can be controlled by their own afterburner or likewise app in windows.
gigabtye board have some rgb on the heatsink, which also can be control by their own in windows app.
I dont see P600s having included rgb stripes, so i guess you need addons.

IM frank old school opinions, dont waste time with rgb! The in windows app will take up resources with it sitting in the background, and there are cases of vulnerabilities with unpatched third party apps.
As for adding hardware rgb stripes or using rgb fan, be warned, you need to hook up messy rgb cables for it to work, cable management nightmare!

Go dark! no rgb nonsense. The only rgb i have is my keyboard, which is set in firmware and i deleted the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom