• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

I’m a bit late listening to progressscast #3 with Vincent Perea.

Just got to a point where Sean distills the essence of video game sequels into one phrase and it rung so true.

“The cool thing about Zelda 1 was not that you had eight weapons. But the cool thing about Zelda 2 is that you had twelve”

I love it

Yeah, it had the clarity and sharpness that only an offhanded comment can have. It was perfect.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I reinstalled Far Cry 2. I'm re-listening to the episodes during my commute and morning jogs, so it's kind of hard to resist the urge.

The beginning of the game is just so god damn oppressive. I'm going to stick with it, because damn it, FarCry2FarCry2, but it's not an easy world to be in.

That said, turning the music off has dramatically improved my experience. I still don't feel totally in sync with all of the systems, but approaching it much, much slower than I usually would a shooter has been an interesting experience.

Odrion

Banned
I've been playing Far Cry 2 again as well. Ten more hours bitches. It's a hard game to penetrate, but there's a moment where it clicks...

...It's when you buy your first Sniper Rifle.

Jintor

Okay, after I finish Jamestown and get tired of Rollercoaster Tycoon and assuming I don't have more recent games to play, I'll try Far Cry 2 once more :|

God fucking damnit I could not stop laughing at the Kangaroo Jackcast.

"I wonder what Kangaroo Jack is doing right now"

*short silence*

"Ah, oh, well we can probably take a pretty solid guess as to what Kangaroo Jack's up to. He's probably doing two things in order"

sixghost

I thought Far Cry 2 was an awful game but I'll try it again I guess.

I played it for about 3-4 hours the first time I tried it and though it was the most boring, broken FPS I've ever played. I thought the shooting was horrible, enemies took too many bullets, they could spot you through 3 fucking trees and tons of bushes, etc.

I put it down and gave it another shot 5-6 months later after listening to a bunch Idle Thumbs again, and went into it with a mindset of, I'm just going to take it slow, try to enjoy the game, and try to explore the systems in the game as best I can.

I thought it was pretty awesome after that. I also happened to pick the character that started with a flamethrower, which is so fun to use, and then realized you get a sniper rifle very early, which helps so much more than you could ever realize, since it basically gives you a telescope to scout ahead that is much faster and usable than the monocular that you can use with the map, which sucks.

Just try to play it like it's not just another FPS. Use the flamethrower or a molatov to start a fire in the brush near an enemy checkpoint, then either run away and snipe them all as they are fleeing, or just use the chaos to sneak past. On the missions where you need to kill someone in a convoy or a jeep, use your head and do stuff like set up a trap, rather than just chase after them in a jeep, then gun then down with the turret. Observe their path for a bit, then find a point in their route that is narrow, then block the path by parking a car in their way, then ambush the shit out of them by throwing grenades and starting fires.

It's the kind of game where you get more out of it when you put more into it. If you just drive places, then get in huge firefights, it's not a good game at all.

Fredescu

if I already pledged $10 can I go back and up it to the $30 pledge?
Yep. Make sure you're logged in and click "manage pledge". Then just change the number in the pledge amount box and hit continue. There's a little FAQ on the side:

"How do I change my pledge amount?
Enter a new amount in the pledge amount box. Note that you are not adding to your existing pledge; the amount you enter will be the total amount collected if this project is successfully funded.

How do I change my reward selection?
To change your reward, make a new selection on this page. Note that changing your reward selection does not automatically change your pledge amount."

Xander51

I need to catch up on the Progresscasts! Having more Thumbs than I have time to listen to is a really weird thing that hasn't happened in years. I can't wait to listen to the Breckoncast.

Jintor

Can't wait until we're getting full fledged casts again. Progress casts do not sate my thirst. Or is it whet my thirst? Either way, they're not helping. I NEED MY HIT.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
no one is going to believe that this actually happened, but I was looking at the map and drove into a river. yep.

also, GDC cast incoming according to Jake's twitter.

sixghost

no one is going to believe that this actually happened, but I was looking at the map and drove into a river. yep.

also, GDC cast incoming according to Jake's twitter.

classic Far Cry 2 moment!

edit:
the closest I've got to the map/river is trying to make the jump on the way to Mike's Bar and failing for the 13th time in a row. The car always gets stuck.

fallout

classic Far Cry 2 moment!

edit:
the closest I've got to the map/river is trying to make the jump on the way to Mike's Bar and failing for the 13th time in a row. The car always gets stuck.
One time, I actually pulled over to the side of the road while I was driving when I had to look at the map. I realized what I had done and just laughed thinking about my concerns for obstructing the traffic behind me.

Shaneus

I requested to Remo via Twitter that he does a We Didn't Start the Fire-esque song to open up the first 'cast with all major gaming news since they were last on the "air". Something like The Simpsons one, but about vidya games.

I hope he does it.

randomwab

I requested to Remo via Twitter that he does a We Didn't Start the Fire-esque song to open up the first 'cast with all major gaming news since they were last on the "air". Something like The Simpsons one, but about vidya games.

I hope he does it.

That would be amazing. My god.

sixghost

I hope he does it.

For $1000 that request can be granted.

He's probably got enough songs to write from the kickstarter.

edit: also the Idle Thumbs theme song covers that topic quite well.

Tim-E

Hour long conf grenade up for everyone!

http://feeds.feedburner.com/idle-thumbs

The Idle Thumbs Conf Grenade 2012: GDC '12: The Death of Nick Breckon
Idle Thumbs starts to wake up, both literally and figuratively, with our first special episode from the first day of GDC 2012. We attended some sessions, we played some games, and we made up excuses to talk about all sorts of things together for the first time in years. With special guests all of us, and all of you. Support our Kickstarter campaign: http://idlethumbs.net/kickstarter

dekjo

Today is awesome. Conf granade, ME3, and Game of Thrones all out. What could make it better? Opening a beer before 1 p.m.? Okay!

Gomu Gomu

4jRRw.png

:').

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so good.

the Super Metroid talk was amazing.

I really enjoyed all the Starcraft and DOTA talk. It was kind of hilarious that no one mentioned any form of explicit exercising or working out when they were talking about adult recreational activities and good uses of time, that seems like the classic example.

I had no idea JP was working at Double Fine now, neat.

Also cool: Brendan Cheong didn't have any formal programming experience before making his first games. Wow.

sixghost

so good.

the Super Metroid talk was amazing.

I really enjoyed all the Starcraft and DOTA talk. It was kind of hilarious that no one mentioned any form of explicit exercising or working out when they were talking about adult recreational activities and good uses of time, that seems like the classic example.

I had no idea JP was working at Double Fine now, neat.

Also cool: Brendan Cheong didn't have any formal programming experience before making his first games. Wow.

Frequenting a Rock Climbing gym was mentioned.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
What do you mean, Bart is not canon? I will hunt you down.

Alright, I'll edit it out, congratulations Nick

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Alright, changed it. Let me know if there's other stuff I made that you hate.

Jeff bradcooldad jeffsaddaddaddoomcool batfatbatmadmadbrad blum dadjeffdadhatdadbat goodgoldblum moldcatbradbeardmadbeard doom famewaddoom blast coolradfat mad bold radwadmadhataim doom beardgoodbadcoolbradbat maddoom boostgood bradblast blamemaddoom doommadcoolbaldblumbold bad coolgoldbraddoomdadmold bad wadgoldblumboostbrad blameboldjeff badblum baldrad doomjeffbeardbald bold catbatsadbataimwad madboost madjeff fatjeffcatboostbatdad blum doomwad mad boost cat catblamehatbaldhat goldcatfat doombad blastsad batcoolgoodgameboostgame doomdoom gamebold jeffradradmoldbeardjeff cool jeff beard boldblumfatfamecat doomblastfat coolblamehatrad jeff golddadboost boost doombradcatbradbold catfameradjeff hatbradbold dadmad catgood blastmadmoldfameblastblame sadboost sad madfatfamegood gamesad blumwadjeffbradcoolmad fat goldgoldbeardbradfatgold blame doommoldradbatgoldrad goodbeard rad rad boostgoldmadmadwadjeff blamebad mold fameaim braddoomaimfamecool moldcatbadsadgame hatbatdadbadbeardfame aimgoodbold boost blumbeard blumbradboostaimhatblast doom gamejeffblast cat goodmoldblamemadbradgame hat goodwad bold saddoombradjeffbeardblame rad doomfatbeardbaldsadboost blameradblamemad doomdad fatgoldboldbradfatbold madcatgoodcat doombadbadbalddoomfame radbradgold blastwad moldcoolfame doom famedad goodsad fatblumbeardblastblummold badbolddoombadcatgame famebaldaimboost hat fatjeffgoodbold mad madbadgame wadhatbadgame blastgoldcoolcool mold blastblumcoolbatbaldgold fatgoodcoolbeardbradbold sadboldcat doom dadfame dadboldcoolbrad boostboost sadbraddoomboosthataim fatbradblastgold jeffaim beard hat blamebearddoom catsadwadmold rad fatboostmad gamehatbaldcatgoldbat beardbadsadbrad gamefat boostbatbrad beardbeardboosthatboost hatsadhat baldbaldgoldbadbadgame coolboostblumblameradmad goodsad hat blum hatwad sad bald bald batmoldfatblamebat gold radcooljeffblamebeardmold bradcat boostbatcoolwadboldfame blum beardwadjefffame bald goodjeffbeardblast mad wadhatboost beardfamefamemad madbadbadsadgold dadaimboldsad bold bataimfat famecoolaim. Video Games.

Could anyone explain to me exactly what kickstart is? From what I gather, it's a program that allows players to donate in order to fund the games they want made so that Devs don't have to worry about losing money on niche titles. Is that about right?

castlegar

Could anyone explain to me exactly what kickstart is? From what I gather, it's a program that allows players to donate in order to fund the games they want made so that Devs don't have to worry about losing money on niche titles. Is that about right?

It's a platform that allows creators to pitch ideas/projects to potential customers, allowing them to contribute money that will aid in the creation of said project. Usually, there are rewards that come out of donating - ie Art, free copy of thing, etc

kickstarter.com

rexor0717

Well, not really. Its not about games, just creative projects. If people want it, people fund it.

It's a platform that allows creators to pitch ideas/projects to potential customers, allowing them to contribute money that will aid in the creation of said project. Usually, there are rewards that come out of donating - ie Art, free copy of thing, etc

Okay. Really cool. Definitely seems like a good system for things that fans may want, but may have trouble finding a massive audience, or at least seem as though they would.

(I'd donate to a Jedi Knight 4 or Red Steel 3, myself.)

Congrats to Idle Thumbs and their fans!

Top Bottom