• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

Shaneus

Easy enough to justify two-hundo when you think of the hours of entertainment we've gotten... and that we'll get by way of sweet, sweet day-one merch.

sixghost

I finally played Gravity Bone despite hearing it mentioned by the Thumbs multiple times.

That was certainly different. The jumping puzzle seemed 100% out of place though. I really enjoyed the first part. Immediately launching into the game, skipping any title screen or whatever, then descending into the party with the music playing was neat.

I'm certainly looking forward to 30 flights of loving now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone think the vinyl album will be on sale through the site after the awards go out?

Corto

Anyone think the vinyl album will be on sale through the site after the awards go out?

Let's wait for Chris to chime in and answer but I would think that that would be difficult. Pressing vinyl discs must be a rather expensive process. Maybe if they can add orders until they reach a predetermined volume and then press those but it would always be a non-optimal approach .

We're not sure yet what the plans for this merchandise will be post-Kickstarter (except for the gold Wizard shirts, which will definitely never be available again). We definitely want an Idle Thumbs store set up at some point, but particular rewards like the prints, EP, etc., were made with involvement of collaborators so there would be a number of steps involved to figure out if and how that stuff could be sold later. There really aren't any guarantees in either direction.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
We're not sure yet what the plans for this merchandise will be post-Kickstarter (except for the gold Wizard shirts, which will definitely never be available again). We definitely want an Idle Thumbs store set up at some point, but particular rewards like the prints, EP, etc., were made with involvement of collaborators so there would be a number of steps involved to figure out if and how that stuff could be sold later. There really aren't any guarantees in either direction.

Says the guy with roughly $130K at his disposal in about 32 hours.

Nah, I get it. It's work.

You could at least do the thing with those online shirt printing / shipping facilities. It's pretty easy. Even EviLore figured it out eventually.

Says the guy with roughly $130K at his disposal in about 32 hours.

Nah, I get it. It's work.

You could at least do the thing with those online shirt printing / shipping facilities. It's pretty easy. Even EviLore figured it out eventually.

We definitely DON'T want to do anything with any kind of print-on-demand service. All of the shirts are prints are being made locally so we can check the quality of the runs ourselves.

Also as I said, most of this stuff was illustrated by collaborators, so any future plans would be contingent on working it out with them.

It's amazing and gratifying that the Kickstarter blew up like it did, but that doesn't really have anything to do with this particular issue.

V_Ben

Banned
I'd buy that Idle Thumbs EP as a FLAC download down the line though, if/when you guys do get it worked out. I just don't have the money to go to $100, but I'd certainly chip away at each item if you guys did set up a store. Maybe have money go to child's play, with Idle Thumbs taking a small cut to justify printing/costs associated with making these fine wares. I'd buy them all eventually, but not all at once. :)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
We definitely DON'T want to do anything with any kind of print-on-demand service. All of the shirts are prints are being made locally so we can check the quality of the runs ourselves.
Fair enough.
It's amazing and gratifying that the Kickstarter blew up like it did, but that doesn't really have anything to do with this particular issue.
Just pulling your leg.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Thanks Chris! I know you can't make promises right now, just saying I'd love the chance to buy extra copies of that vinyl, I bet tons of people would do the same.

Strategy games, more often than not hardcore strategy games by the look of it

We do a lot of hardcore stuff because, face it, no one else is really.

But not just that. We've had shows on iOS games recently, talked about themes like religion and politics, look at classic games from the past, some board game stuff...

and a show on F1 simulation because we wanted to.

3MA is not a show for everyone, but we love what we do.

And what is in it for us? Potentially a bigger audience, good webhosting for our growing community, a chance to work with people we like and respect.

Troy

Tim-E

Well it's working already. This podcast sounds like something I would love and I am now downloading episodes for my commute tomorrow.

mattiewheels

Troy, didn't know you posted here! Love your show, and really like Rob as the host since you passed it down to him...partnering with Idle Thumbs sounds amazing man!

Shaneus

Might have to check that one out as well! If the focus isn't solely on strategy board games, I'll be on board for sure.

What was the name/number of the episode that contains discussion of F1 simulation?

Also, Weinhandler?

Might have to check that one out as well! If the focus isn't solely on strategy board games, I'll be on board for sure.

What was the name/number of the episode that contains discussion of F1 simulation?

Also, Weinhandler?

We do boardgames usually once a month, more if Bruce has a brilliant idea that lets him rant.

Rob and I discussed Codemasters F1 2011 with a guest in Episode 140. We don't do a lot of non-strategy shows in a year (that is the entire point) but some weeks you want a break.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
They should get the Rock Paper Shotgun guys on this network so they'll do more than two shows a year.

Ohhhh, I see. Bruce and Tom retired from the show. I thought the podcast sounded familiar, but I haven't listened to it in a couple of years and didn't recognize the new names.

Nope, Bruce is still on quite regularly. Tom has largely stepped away, although he's on occasionally--he was on the most recent episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, that's cool. And funny enough, now I want to look for old Tom vs Bruce articles. Maybe we can do a kickstarter to get them to do that again!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm sitting here mulling it over. The 200 tier is VERY tempting.

Flip-side: it's two hundred dollars.

Decisions.

You pussy rez.

Myself, Aon, Fred (I think?) and maybe a few others have gone $210.

DO IT MAN. Join ausgaf in donating $210.

reefa

Neo Member
After today's awesome news I just had to up my pledge from $1000 to $1337. I look forward to future 3MA+Thumbs crossover casts involving Far Cry 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Neptune's Pride, Far Cry 2, Starcraft 2, Die Weinhändler, and some Far Cry 2 wouldn't go astray.

THUMBS!!!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You pussy rez.

Myself, Aon, Fred (I think?) and maybe a few others have gone $210.

DO IT MAN. Join ausgaf in donating $210.
Ha, yeah I actually upped it yesterday. The amount of free entertainment they've given me alone is worth so much more than that.

Top Bottom