• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Tease: Tomorrow's PS2 Top Story = Shocking

thorns

Banned
FFS Microsoft is funding and publishing Jade Empire.
KOTOR, maybe, but very unlikely IMHO.

Psychonauts guys were hiring for PS2 developers recently, so maybe it's that one.

neo2046

3.) It is an announcement related to previouly "other system only" game coming to the PS2. The cool thing is, it hasn't come out for that system yet either.
my guess :D
True Fantasy Live Online XBOX --> True Fantasy Live Offline PS2

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
JC10001 said:
You know what? I bet thats it! There were rumors of a PS2 version a long time ago.

If true, I'm not that excited. Outrun 2 is extremely easy. I beat the arcade version (in Outrun mode) on my 3rd time playing it and I've probably played arcade racers less than a dozen times in my life. Granted, the extra tracks will spice it up...but its still a darn easy game.

If you take the Easy path, yes it is. Take the right path each way and see how well you do. Then do that in Heart Attack mode.

It's not RE4.

"4.) The game itself is very cool. And PS2 owners who may have never given it a second thought before, should do so."

You know why? Because every PS2 owner bitches about RE4 and always makes assumptions about it coming to PS2, which is never going to happen, as we've gone through this time and time again. That's more than a second thought.

border

My instincts say Psychonauts, since the game is coveted by a certain hardcore element but not really "big" enough to make for a true megaton story. The only problem is that I doubt DoubleFine really has the resources to be porting it at the moment.

Outrun is also a pretty decent guess.

Too Human is an outside possibility, as is Resident Evil 4.

teiresias

IGN needs to learn when to just a run a story without trying to make themselves feel more important than they are. If they did that they wouldn't find themselves in the awkward position of having to de-hype their own hype machine in order to avoid a backlash about them under-delivering what they promised.

SantaC

One keynote that just doesn't make it RE4 is that he said that it hasn't been mentioned on any board yet. RE4 has been mentioned like 40 times already.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
border said:
My instincts say Psychonauts, since the game is coveted by a certain hardcore element but not really "big" enough to make for a true megaton story. The only problem is that I doubt DoubleFine really has the resources to be porting it at the moment.

Psychonauts fits pretty well with the scenario, unless I'm missing something.

Sho Nuff

Banned
teiresias said:
IGN needs to learn when to just a run a story without trying to make themselves feel more important than they are. If they did that they wouldn't find themselves in the awkward position of having to de-hype their own hype machine in order to avoid a backlash about them under-delivering what they promised.

No, what IGN really needs is an editor to go over everyone's copy. Some of the sentences the writers haphazardly forge are crimes against humanity.

Gamespot sucks, too, but at least they are grammatically kosher.

Deg

Banned
teiresias said:

No this is going to be the biggest news in ages. I have faith.

eso76

If it is an xbox title then:

dead or alive ultimate :) nah.
BC ? nah...
Tork...i hope it's not Tork, is it ??
Doom 3 ? DOOM 3 ! uhm...i don't think it was successfull enough to get an unexpected port but who knows.
pariah ? but that was already coming for ps2 too, iirc
psychonauts ? maybe
outrun 2 ? don't think so

i think it's either tork, psychonauts or doom 3

Possibilities: (solely based on Xbox console exclusives not released yet and not owned by M$)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Half Life 2
Doom 3
KOTOR 2
BC
Outrun 2
Tork
Jade Empire
Psychonaughts
Phantom Dust
Kingdom Under Fire
DOA: Ultimate
Otagi 2
True Fantasy Live Online (owned by M$ or Level 5??)
Brothers in Arms
Men of Valor
Unreal Championship
Republic Commando
???

bionic77

It is NOT RE4 or KOTOR2.

I will say that some of you have correctly guessed what it is.

Now I am going back to the OT boards where I belong.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
It is not RE4 or any GameCube title. It is an Xbox title.

No, I'm not an INSIDEUR, but I did read the thread.

EDIT: Yeah, deadlifter has the right idea.

Deepthroat: people who already know what the game is (for example, the one guy from IGN) said that the news may irritate Xbox fans.

scarybore

human5892 said:
It is not RE4 or any GameCube title. It is an Xbox title.

No, I'm not an INSIDEUR, but I did read the thread.

EDIT: Yeah, deadlifter has the right idea.

Deepthroat: people who already know what the game is (for example, the one guy from IGN) said that the news may irritate Xbox fans.

Irritate them because the Xbox will not be getting said game or because they lose a exclusive...

Cherubae

Deg said:
Monkey Balls? Harvest Moon?

There's already a HM PS2 in the works in Japan. Basically it's just another rehash of the GC Wonderful Life series, except for the fact you can marry the 14 year old grandaughter of one of the elderly town residents. It's highly unlikely it will be translated into English :D

HM Oh! Wonderful Life

Solid

Aha, ok. Thanks for the brief :p

Dunno what it is then. Maybe Riddick, Outrun 2 or Panzer Dragoon Orta. But those have already been mentioned I think.

Hmm..

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My bet is on Psychonauts.

The described thing already happened with the 'Oddworld: Stranger' transition to a new publisher, and I somehow think it will happen to Psychonauts as well. Much like with Stranger, I cannot imagine why would anyone with Xbox be upset about it, though. I think Xbox owners (as well as the rest of the gamers) should be just happy that those games are being released at all.

Out Run 2 is a good guess as well.

I'm going with Psychonauts. TFLO would be awesome, but no way. If this were even remotely gonna happen, they would have dropped that bomb at TGS, not to some American online only site.

Speevy

Banned
psycho.jpg

Just doesn't look right...

ManaByte

Gold Member
sonycowboy said:
Possibilities: (solely based on Xbox console exclusives not released yet and not owned by M$)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Half Life 2
Doom 3
KOTOR 2
BC
Outrun 2
Tork
Jade Empire
Psychonaughts
Phantom Dust
Kingdom Under Fire
DOA: Ultimate
Otagi 2
True Fantasy Live Online (owned by M$ or Level 5??)
Brothers in Arms
Men of Valor
Unreal Championship
Republic Commando
???

Brothers in Arms is multiplatform as is Men of Valor, IIRC.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hiro_Kunimi_80 said:
Hl2 or Doom III for sure

Ugh, the thought of either of those being crammed onto the PS2 makes my PC weep. Half-Life 1 only looked "so so" on the PS2, so I fear for what HL2 would look like. Doom 3? Keep dreaming.

Laurent

It CANNOT be Outrun 2, since the PS2 version of that game was almost confirmed on many boards 2 months ago! This wouldn't be shocking at all...

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Deathcraze said:
Irritate them because the Xbox will not be getting said game or because they lose a exclusive...
Because they lose an exclusive. If it was the former, we probably would've been told that both GC and Xbox owners could be disappointed with the news.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
My guess would be an ex MS published game. So Tork (not big enough), Psychonauts (could be) or some game using the TFLO assets (now I would be mighty pissed). Stranger has already gone multiplatform so...
As long as Xbox is not losing a game but just the exclusivity I don't think I could be pissed.

Top Bottom