• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's New High-Bitrate 4K/60fps Footage Finally Offers a Proper Taste of PS5 Pro's Potential

Vick

Gold Member
A true night and day difference compared to the, borderline cringe-inducing, original presentation stream:

Even as a YouTube-encoded (and re-encoded again for the download) file, and even and especially considering the games they presented already have almost impeccable image quality in their Performance modes on a regular PS5, the difference remains not only evident but objectively quite pronounced at times, and not just for the obvious and expected PS5 Performance Mode vs. Pro:

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h28m13s710.png

Lu5F0Ae.gif

Fidelity-vs-Pro-SM2-Alberi.png

lE3ONFe.gif
wwf09n8.gif

But, surprisingly, for PS5 Fidelity vs Pro as well:

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h26m23s382.png

Uq8io9p.gif

Fidelity-VS-Pro-Zaino-Rocce.png

DgW3umJ.gif

jTIaird.gif

And it's important to note motion blur is disabled in the Fidelity footage for TLOU Part II.

Now I can't wait for proper, direct-feed comparisons as I'm sure we'll see pretty interesting results.
And personally, the idea of playing 60fps games on a Console with this kind of IQ (and again, these are not only from YT but re-encoded another time) is absolutely wild:

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h34m54s648.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h34m26s888.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h33m56s766.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h33m34s799.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h38m03s716.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h38m38s679.png

Jesb

We’re not really going to get to see just how good the improvements will be until this is out in the wild and we have a lot of games to draw comparisons. Especially more current top looking games like wukong, Alan wake 2, cyberpunk, ect. This is a better look but it’s still remains to be seen how much of a game changer PSSR will be.

Topher

Gold Member
We’re not really going to get to see just how good the improvements will be until this is out in the wild and we have a lot of games to draw comparisons. Especially more current top looking games like wukong, Alan wake 2, cyberpunk, ect. This is a better look but it’s still remains to be seen how much of a game changer PSSR will be.

Hopefully Sony will provide some units to outlets for independent testing and analysis.

tmlDan

Great work, OP! Appreciate the gifs.

While the differences are very noticeable in comparison, I doubt those would result a significant improvement in a real gaming session.

I am also curious to see some games that PS5 really struggled with performance , like DD2, FF7 Rebirth etc.
The real test will be PS5 only first party games from big studios, still waiting sadly

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I will say though, I think Sony fucked up. They should have nerded it up some more with actual numbers to show the real differences. As it is, they had a shitty feed showing people barely perceptible image differences and asking for $700. They should have gone with resolution and frame rate numbers and perhaps shown a grid to show how PSSR fills out the additional pixels and how much of a dramatic improvement it really is over FSR/TAA/IGTI.

This console is for enthusiasts, so they should have vehiculated their message to them. That 9 minutes demo showing 5 seconds clips didn't cut it.

Is this the first time console players are experiencing AI Upscaling?
dumb-and-dumber-uh.gif

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Great work, OP! Appreciate the gifs.

While the differences are very noticeable in comparison, I doubt those would result a significant improvement in a real gaming session.
Appreaciated man.
As for the noticeable improvement during a gaming session, try to watch the video at 4K/60fps on a proper screen. Difference jumps at you immediately and not due to the comparison but simply because of how stunning the 60fps footage is. There's absolutely no way you wouldn't be able to appreaciate such a difference even simply playing casually.

I am also curious to see some games that PS5 really struggled with performance , like DD2, FF7 Rebirth etc.
Actually there is footage from both DD2 and FF7 Rebirth in the video, I've included some screens in the OP. Improvement on the latter is immediately appreciable already.

Last edited:

Fahdis

I will say though, I think Sony fucked up. They should have nerded it up some more with actual numbers to show the real differences. As it is, they had a shitty feed showing people barely perceptible image differences and asking for $700. They should have gone with resolution and frame rate numbers and perhaps shown a grid to show how PSSR fills out the additional pixels and how much of a dramatic improvement it really is over FSR/TAA/IGTI.

Still not worth $700 my guy. But its a Vick Vick Thread. Dude is always remarkably thorough.

vivftp

Amazing work OP

Since day 1 of getting my launch PS5 I've been craving the Pro so I wouldn't have to choose between fidelity and performance modes. The Pro will be the solution to that issue for the majority of games and I can't friggin' wait. Just these examples alone have me salivating and this is just the tip of the iceberg

kevboard

Is this the first time console players are experiencing AI Upscaling?

sadly yes, because Intel still doesn't open up XeSS for console use. they said they will eventually make it open source n shit, but that has yet to happen.

XeSS has the potential to improve console image quality above FSR2/3. yes, even with the higher hit to performance it has, because XeSS can actually run at a lower base resolution than FSR2/3 while still exceeding its image clarity, especially in motion.

nick776

This is more like it, Sony should have uploaded this quality in the first place. I can actually see an appreciable difference in the image quality. One thing is curious though--in one of the R&C images in the video a comparison starting at about 4:46 a juxtaposition is made between PS5 fidelity and PS5 PRO. However, the image quality looks noticeably better on some of the textures so I am almost wondering if they mis-labeled the comparison and that it was actually a comparison between PS5 Performance and PS5 Pro (look at the area where the plants are in the silver-grey sections of the flower beds).

Jesb

Hopefully Sony will provide some units to outlets for independent testing and analysis.
That would be the smart thing to do. Give it to DF and other outlets to give us more to base a purchase on. But I don’t know if they will. Sony seems lost and I don’t trust that they will do the right thing. Some of their decisions are so awful. Using bad quality for their presentation, using ps4 games to showcase differences, not showing high profile 3rd party games.

vivftp

The difference is there but those aren't the best games to show. DD2, FF7 Rebirt, maybe Black Myth, Alan Wake 2 and etc. I just can't play rebirth in blurry mode.

The thing is, Sony themselves aren't likely to show comparisons for third party games, they'll do it with first party. Third party devs/pubs aren't likely to be keen having their base console games made to look "bad" for the sake of advertising the new Pro console. Sony can do that just fine with their own games as they're the platform holder.

We'll get the comparisons you desire, but others like Digital Foundry and whatnot will be the ones to do that.

ap_puff

This is more than what you get from going from $500 to $700 on a GPU in PC-land. Imagine going from a 7800XT for $500 with no DLSS to a 4070 Ti Super for $700. Except a 4070 Ti Super is only 30% faster than a 7800XT, while the PS5 Pro is 45% faster than the PS5. I think $700 is a fair price for what you're getting. Sure the console crowd may not be used to it... but like Leather Jacket Man said... "Moore's law is dead". From now on you're going to be paying more for more performance.

Vick

Gold Member
Also. This difference is not even worth upgrade at all.
not bad mike pence GIF by Election 2016

Well, to me it unquestionably is. But I understand, even though it's important to note these are game that already look great on a normal PS5.

It's not hard to imagine the true upgrade will be recognized once those awful looking titles, that according to DF Sony couldn't show directly for understandable reasons, like Jedi: Survivor, Wukong and the likes, get compared to how they run on this machine.

Brigandier

How the fuck do you botch a product launch in such a way that the media have to do your job in putting together a proper presentation to promote your product.

The hell is going on over there at PlayStation??!!

Appreciate the OP for putting together this information.

They took the criticism regarding the Cerny talk about the PS5 a little too seriously lol....

The way Cerny rushed through the important stuff was very odd.

Sony should have been in depth and clear about the RT and PSSR capabilities more and show better examples all in a much better quality stream, It would have stopped many of the "lol looks the same" idiots for sure and such negativity.

Like you say what's going on over at PlayStation?.

vivftp

if not for the gifs i wouldnt tell any difference.

Also. This difference is not even worth upgrade at all.

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Demon's Souls
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
The Last of Us Part 1 (Remake)
The Last of Us Part 2 (Remastered)
Spider-Man 2

These are just a few of the games I've spent this entire gen so far constantly flipping back and forth between fidelity and performance modes while playing so I could see what I'm missing. I absolutely hate the feeling of knowing that I have to make a decision on my console of which mode I'll play and knowing that there is no "best" version to experience on the console. Either option I choose, I'm missing out on something. 40 FPS has helped to mitigate that, but I had already completed many of those games before the 40 FPS patch ever came out.

I'm gaming on a 77" OLED so I can see the difference clear as day. That's why I've been waiting for the Pro since the moment I booted up my PS5 on launch day, and I'm ecstatic that they're pushing the amalgamation of fidelity and performance modes into a singular, definitive experience on the Pro. It's fine if not every single game goes down that path, so long as most of them do I'll be happy :D

As for worth, that's really in the eye of the beholder. For me it's 100% worth the upgrade. Of course each person will have to make their own call. Anyone on the fence will have to wait for more info to be revealed to make up their mind.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is more than what you get from going from $500 to $700 on a GPU in PC-land. Imagine going from a 7800XT for $500 with no DLSS to a 4070 Ti Super for $700. Except a 4070 Ti Super is only 30% faster than a 7800XT, while the PS5 Pro is 45% faster than the PS5. I think $700 is a fair price for what you're getting. Sure the console crowd may not be used to it... but like Leather Jacket Man said... "Moore's law is dead". From now on you're going to be paying more for more performance.
Yeah, let’s use the prices of a company known to rip off its customers to prove that Sony ain’t that bad.

NVIDIA, the company that sells 8GB $400 GPUs in 2024. NVIDIA, the company that managed to somehow make the RTX 4060 slower than the 3060 in some scenarios. NVIDIA, the company that gave their most popular segment a 15% uplift after 2 years. NVIDIA, the company that attempted to sell us an RTX 4070 Ti (really a 4070) for $900 by calling it a 4080 12GB. NVIDIA, the company that went from selling a 3080 for $700 to selling a 4080 for $1200.

Lol. Sony ain’t that bad compared to them gaiz!!

Top Bottom