• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's New High-Bitrate 4K/60fps Footage Finally Offers a Proper Taste of PS5 Pro's Potential

Fahdis

This feels like going from the "Medium" to "High" preset, in terms of clarity:
lE3ONFe.gif

Is it extra? Sure. But is it nice to have for those who want it? Absolutely.

Its not a high preset. Consoles have a fixed preset. Only PC gives you that option for textures. If you have a PC and any newgen game from PS3 onwards and a 4K TV or monitor. Switch from 1080P to 2K and notice a grand shift to visual fidelity and then 4K to see that you're reaching meager returns but still good enough to see aliasing completely or almost disappear. Pisser is just doing its job as an AI Upscaler and giving you greater visual fidelity. Because the picture is being upscaled it frees up CPU and GPU load to also give you higher FPS as long as your TV/Monitor can support it.

vivftp

Lol you gotta be shitting me

$700 for this where’s Waldo difference

These differences are easy to spot when actually playing the game natively from the console on a TV. However due to Youtube compression destroying a lot of the original quality, zoomed in comparisons help to illustrate the difference.

A game like Horizon Forbidden West drove me absolutely mad constantly switching between fidelity and performance modes. The fidelity mode was just so friggin' crisp and detailed, but of course was locked to 30 FPS. The 60 FPS performance mode was blissful for how fluid the motion was, especially in combat, but so much of the detail was sacrificed.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
People are commenting on Sony's compressed video.

It's a limitation with Youtube I believe in how long it takes video to process across formats. And you don't want to publish the video early and risk it being leaked.

Again, the catch 22 that you're in that no one wants to stop and think about, because they generally don't care about it from the marketing team's perspective.

Robb

Gold Member
Seems like such a minuscule difference to me visually. 60fps in, presumably, most titles definitely seems like the biggest improvement imo.

Without a side-by-side I’d have told you this was just a standard Ps5 footage.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
A true night and day difference compared to the, borderline cringe-inducing, original presentation stream:

Even as a YouTube-encoded (and re-encoded again for the download) file, and even and especially considering the games they presented already have almost impeccable image quality in their Performance modes on a regular PS5, the difference remains not only evident but objectively quite pronounced at times, and not just for the obvious and expected PS5 Performance Mode vs. Pro:

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h28m13s710.png

Lu5F0Ae.gif

Fidelity-vs-Pro-SM2-Alberi.png

lE3ONFe.gif
wwf09n8.gif

But, surprisingly, for PS5 Fidelity vs Pro as well:

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h26m23s382.png

Uq8io9p.gif

Fidelity-VS-Pro-Zaino-Rocce.png

DgW3umJ.gif

jTIaird.gif

And it's important to note motion blur is disabled in the Fidelity footage for TLOU Part II.

Now I can't wait for proper, direct-feed comparisons as I'm sure we'll see pretty interesting results.
And personally, the idea of playing 60fps games on a Console with this kind of IQ (and again, these are not only from YT but re-encoded another time) is absolutely wild:

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h34m54s648.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h34m26s888.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h33m56s766.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h33m34s799.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h38m03s716.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-12-02h38m38s679.png

The same horse shit with the last of us part 2.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Definitely.

But still I'm sure we'll see the huge difference once the problematic games get compared, instead of things like Spider-Man or TLOU that already look amazing on a regular PS5.

I think people still aren't grasping that if you can't tell the difference between pictures of fidelity mode and the pictures of the PS5 Pro running games at 60 fps that they've achieved their objective.

Somehow they think the fidelity mode picture is running at 60 fps as well rather than 30 fps...

That's an achievement for the larger GPU and PSSR.

ap_puff

Yeah, let’s use the prices of a company known to rip off its customers to prove that Sony ain’t that bad.

NVIDIA, the company that sells 8GB $400 GPUs in 2024. NVIDIA, the company that managed to somehow make the RTX 4060 slower than the 3060 in some scenarios. NVIDIA, the company that gave their most popular segment a 15% uplift after 2 years. NVIDIA, the company that attempted to sell us an RTX 4070 Ti (really a 4070) for $900 by calling it a 4080 12GB. NVIDIA, the company that went from selling a 3080 for $700 to selling a 4080 for $1200.

Lol. Sony ain’t that bad compared to them gaiz!!
yeah, except sony includes a cpu, a heatsink+cooler, 2tb ssd, and a controller along with the package. You don't have to buy it if you don't want to. I just don't want to hear anyone talk about how "they'd pay for a high spec console" any more.

Zathalus

This is more than what you get from going from $500 to $700 on a GPU in PC-land. Imagine going from a 7800XT for $500 with no DLSS to a 4070 Ti Super for $700. Except a 4070 Ti Super is only 30% faster than a 7800XT, while the PS5 Pro is 45% faster than the PS5. I think $700 is a fair price for what you're getting. Sure the console crowd may not be used to it... but like Leather Jacket Man said... "Moore's law is dead". From now on you're going to be paying more for more performance.
A better comparison would be going from a 6800 to a 4070 Ti Super. Considering when each card launched.

ap_puff

A better comparison would be going from a 6800 to a 4070 Ti Super. Considering when each card launched.
I'd still pay an extra $200 for the nvidia card. Like, let's do a fair comparison. Would you pay an extra $200 to go from a 6700XT to a 4070 with 16gb VRAM? I would. The problem is nvidia starves their cards of VRAM so you are forced to upgrade early.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Great job Vick Vick

I still think if this was digital foundry and they had console a vs console b. Console a was 350 dollars and console b was 700, 99 percent of people would say that isn't worth the extra money.

Need to see real world performance information and not single screenshots. Especially third party games.

I wanna see how wu Kong compares to base ps5 and a pc. Cyberpunk. And all the ue5 games.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I will say though, I think Sony fucked up. They should have nerded it up some more with actual numbers to show the real differences. As it is, they had a shitty feed showing people barely perceptible image differences and asking for $700. They should have gone with resolution and frame rate numbers and perhaps shown a grid to show how PSSR fills out the additional pixels and how much of a dramatic improvement it really is over FSR/TAA/IGTI.

This console is for enthusiasts, so they should have vehiculated their message to them. That 9 minutes demo showing 5 seconds clips didn't cut it.

dumb-and-dumber-uh.gif
Yeah, this was a product designed for enthusiasts (especially price wise) with a low quality video feed (who cares about realtime events??? At least publish the high resolution and high quality version before revealing the price and release date, even if it is like 1-2 days later) and a scarcity of details.
Even Apple goes far more in depth with the nerdy stuff, whoever advised Cerny to revamp the presentation format like this made a big blunder.

They fucked up the reveal and as the footage is now showing they got tons of people unnecessarily angry.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That would be the smart thing to do. Give it to DF and other outlets to give us more to base a purchase on. But I don’t know if they will. Sony seems lost and I don’t trust that they will do the right thing. Some of their decisions are so awful. Using bad quality for their presentation, using ps4 games to showcase differences, not showing high profile 3rd party games.
I do not think DF is getting anything till November 7. To be fair we as customers should actually flock to / demand outlets not to review games before the release date and should stop pre-orders. Game reviewers (and console reviewers) depending on the game publisher / manufacturer need to maintain access and thus will need to cater to what they demand (not their consumers 100%).
Of course right now we are in the cycle where DF will act like spurned lovers and will be extremely annoying and petty but 🤷‍♂️

nnytk

The difference is there but those aren't the best games to show. DD2, FF7 Rebirt, maybe Black Myth, Alan Wake 2 and etc. I just can't play rebirth in blurry mode.
Monster Hunter Wilds at 60fps and not looking like a blurry mess is what it's all about for me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Great job Vick Vick

I still think if this was digital foundry and they had console a vs console b. Console a was 350 dollars and console b was 700, 99 percent of people would say that isn't worth the extra money.
Maybe, but it is $449 vs $699 (and you get double the internal storage too).

Biggest issue is Sony could and should have made a super strong intro and got unnecessary hate and anger.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The foliage on the trees reminds me of those blown-up comparison pictures between pics taken with different cameras, around fifteen years ago. When we’d still print pictures, or look at them on screens that were mostly 720p.

I assume the differences would pop on very big screens, but on smaller screens? I mean, it’s good to have better options, but this is another situation that makes me think that performance should be the main concern, always before fidelity.

Preseznik

Definitely an improvement for someone like me that mostly plays COD/GT7 at my desk with a 55'' LG OLED.

But looking at this 4k video comparison on my 65'' TV from my couch... Nah, not really.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe, but it is $449 vs $699 (and you get double the internal storage too).

Biggest issue is Sony could and should have made a super strong intro and got unnecessary hate and anger.

In the uk it's 390 for a digital vs 700 pounds. Digital is often on sale and even the disk drive ps5 is often 399 it's double the price more or less for this meager upgrade

Not even nvidia is fucking it's fans like this. Just think about that.

Sony

Nintendo
To be fair, the upgrade does look like a higher graphical preset which is the intention of the Pro, but then that price completely f*cks it over. This type of upgrade would have been fine for +150, especially since it's the all digital.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I’ve finished TLoU2 on PS5 (PS4 version) 2 days ago and it’s more than enough for me. Good work OP but I would miss those details on normal play. So it goes back to value and price. Is it worth it for me? No.

Top Bottom