• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's New High-Bitrate 4K/60fps Footage Finally Offers a Proper Taste of PS5 Pro's Potential

I’m sure it is, this is more of a ‘me’ problem.

I’m just saying, if I walked out of a room and you switched the image on the TV to a PS5 Pro when I walked back in I don’t think I’d be able to tell the difference, personally.
I'm pretty sure if you played Spiderman on PS5 in quality mode, walked out and came back to it running on PS5 Pro you'd notice a huge difference. Maybe not in screenshot, but real world side by side scenarios you'd notice a big difference.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I’d say they turned FSR from Performance to Balanced. Increased draw distance LOD from Low to Medium. Not a bad upgrade at all, but with PS6 right around the corner and zero exciting games even officially announced, it’s still a tough sell.

PS6 won't come out for another 4 years at least... and it's going to launch expensive...

PS5 will be for gamers who want a cheaper entry while the PS6 launches as a premium device.

Yup! Every time I moved back to 30 FPS it would always evoke a slideshow effect in my brain for 20 seconds or so, then I'd get used to 30 FPS again. Can't wait to get the best of both worlds

The Pro has my nipples hard. Can't wait for it 😄
Jake Gyllenhaal Sneaker Shopping GIF by Complex

Mr.Phoenix

They really released that 7 min video with Mark Cerny, a blog post and went into hiding huh...

I expected Digital Foundry and other places to have videos ready to be released but...nothing.

They really are trying to sell an 800€ console based on that lil video alone lmao.
Relax, the thing launches in November. There will be plenty of coverage before then.
The fact that threads like this have to exist tell you everything you need to know. If you have to make GIFS highlighting the incremental increase in fidelity, it’s apparent that we’ve reached the point of diminishing returns. I understand this is a premium option for hardcore enthusiasts, but the idea that people will spend over $700 dollars for something so negligible is why companies continue to do it.
First off, it's not just better looking, it's also running at double the framerate. Unfortunately, pictures don't show the latter.

Secondly, have you been under a rock for the last 4 years and missed what we have had to pay for PC parts?
Yep. People jumped the gun and got hyperbolic now they're looking dumb.

But we've seen this movie before....
As usual. That's the world we live in today. Bunch of sensationalist juvenile pricks.

I’d say they turned FSR from Performance to Balanced. Increased draw distance LOD from Low to Medium. Not a bad upgrade at all, but with PS6 right around the corner and zero exciting games even officially announced, it’s still a tough sell.
So 4 years from now is your idea of right around the corner?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

PS6? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Rumor has the PS6 coming out in 2028. That's a whole 4 YEARS from now. My 4 year old daughter (who's not in school yet since she's not old enough), will be in 3rd grade when the PS6 comes out. That's a long time away bro!

sachos

As i said after the reveal, people were/are pretending to not see diferences just for outrage and clickbait.
I predict the tune will change quick once we start getting DF comparisons in FSR2 games, the difference will be massive. Remember that this comparisons look already this good when compared to Sony's 1st party reconstruction techniques that are already pretty good.

simpatico

That's a long time away bro!
It's all relative. I used to think 4 years was a long time too, but another way to think about it is the Biden administration. Maybe I'm just old and my conception of time is skewed because of it. That election feels like yesterday to me. You could also say 4 years since covid. Again, to me it doesn't feel that long. My youngest will be 19 in 4 years. It flies by bros.

Vick

Gold Member
It's all relative. I used to think 4 years was a long time too, but another way to think about it is the Biden administration. Maybe I'm just old and my conception of time is skewed because of it. That election feels like yesterday to me. You could also say 4 years since covid. Again, to me it doesn't feel that long. My youngest will be 19 in 4 years. It flies by bros.
Wise, and entirely true words.

It is a fact those of us interested in the Pro have to deal with the fact the years between purchase and a new gen announcement, likely from MS, could pass in the blink of an eye.

On the other hand, it seems that all the good stuff, especially from Sony's own studios, will be released in the second half of this generation and likely benefit greatly from this machine.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I think this is only true because Covid stole 2 years of our lives lol

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member

Right around the corner? 4 years isn't around the corner man lol

Killer8

Yeah, it's an easy day one for me now. This is how it should've been done from the start. Deliver the presentation on Youtube but then have a DETAILED blog post with image comparisons to let people get into the nitty-gritty. Have confidence in the product.

simpatico

Right around the corner? 4 years isn't around the corner man lol
In console years it definitely is. Think about the last year of any gen. We get one really good first party release, but the third party stuff is drying up and being delayed for the new gen at that point. You might get one single cross gen Naughty Dog game at this point. Certainly not a second Rockstar game. Not a second Bethesda game. Witcher 4 might see a cross gen release. You've really only got next year and the year after as like, fully meaty years.

Vick

Gold Member

I mean, what we see in Ratchet is obvious and expected, it's the improvement over Fidelity that is puzzling to me.
On a regular PS5 Part II in Fidelity looks insane, not only native 4K but sharpened as well. I would never feel wanting "more" than that.

And yet not only we do see what's a truly noticeable improvement:

Zlz8wgN.gif

And btw, are these actually better assets/LOD?

Those rare IQ artifacts also appear to be solved completely on the Pro, by, I imagine, PSSR:

1yitbn5.gif

On the lower left of the screen it also appears there could be additional vegetation on the Pro, but I honestly find that unlikely and could perhaps be explained in some other way.

Last edited:

ShakenG

Looks good - I’m in!

My only worry is that PSSR will over-sharpen the image (like turning up sharpening on a tv) so that everything looks unrealistically crisp.
Valid concern ive also had. Having said that. If the sharpness slider was the answer to clearer textures/detail, everyone would be doing it.
Waiting for that 1st in depth analysis to ease my worries though.

Killer8

I mean, what we see in Ratchet is obvious and expected, it's the improvement over Fidelity that is puzzling to me.
On a regular PS5 Part II in Fidelity looks insane, not only native 4K but sharpened as well. I would never feel wanting "more" than that.

And yet not only we do see what's a truly noticeable improvement:

Zlz8wgN.gif

It's possible that PSSR is offering "better than native" image quality similar to DLSS.

I suspect the improvement might be because reconstruction techniques like DLSS and PSSR often replace a game's TAA, so what they're really doing is restoring some fidelity back to the image that should've been there originally.

I do love me some TAA because it kills shimmering in motion but there is definitely a loss of sharpness even in the best implementations.

Vick

Gold Member
It's possible that PSSR is offering "better than native" image quality similar to DLSS.

I suspect the improvement might be because reconstruction techniques like DLSS and PSSR often replace a game's TAA, so what they're really doing is restoring some fidelity back to the image that should've been there originally.

I do love me some TAA because it kills shimmering in motion but there is definitely a loss of sharpness even in the best implementations.
That would make total sense.

ND ever since Uncharted 4 always used a pretty prominent, yet unquestionably high quality, TAA implementation, with increasing degrees of sharpening on top depending on the game.

PSSR eliminating the need for both would make total sense, and represent quite a shift for ND actually. It has been said many, many times the reason they always use fixed resolution like 4K or 1440p is due to their image processing pipeline interfering with past reconstruction techniques like CBR. Fascinating stuff.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Digital Foundry has the video file sent from Sony available for download on Patreon and the differences are even more pronounced without YT compression. What's very curious in the case of TLOU2 is Cerny included the comparison along with SM2 and Ratchet in the section where he was going over the cumulative impact of the Big 3 (Larger GPU, RT, and AI Upscaling), unlike Horizon where the uplift seems to be strictly GPU. This strongly suggests that TLOU might be getting a patch to include ray tracing.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Digital Foundry has the video file sent from Sony available for download on Patreon and the differences are even more pronounced without YT compression. What's very curious in the case of TLOU2 is Cerny included the comparison along with SM2 and Ratchet in the section where he was going over the cumulative impact of the Big 3 (Larger GPU, RT, and AI Upscaling), unlike Horizon where the uplift seems to be strictly GPU. This strongly suggests that TLOU might be getting a patch to include ray tracing.
Maybe ray-traced shadows? Don't see how ray-traced GI would benefit that much from this given the lack of dynamic tod and already really good baked lighting. I did spot a few instances where the shadows could use some serious work. Maybe reflections too.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Maybe ray-traced shadows? Don't see how ray-traced GI would benefit that much from this given the lack of dynamic tod and already really good baked lighting. I did spot a few instances where the shadows could use some serious work. Maybe reflections too.
I hope no RT personally in the already released TLOU games.
You're right about GI, and I'd go even further saying absolutely no GI as it's extremely likely it would only mess with the game. Also and especially because they already use extensively dynamic GI as well with its flashlight. No need whatsoever.
RT shadows, maybe not entirely useless, but not exactly necessary either. Part I Remake surprisingly uses PCSS shadows already and they look perfect close to the entire time.
And Part II still improves on the PS4 version shadows when needed, to the point I don't recall a single instance where I felt better ones were needed.
Reflections.. same story, no doubt they could empirically improve, but they put so much effort in their perfectly fine solution it would be a colossal waste of time for marginal difference.. I mean (PS4 Pro footage):

Whole different story for Uncharted 4. I would kill to get RT shadows in many Chapters of Uncharted 4, and to see them on PC as well.
The fact the Legacy of Thieves releases didn't bother to use tech that was already in the game in many Chapters and simply port it to those areas who couldn't afford it on PS4 is legit infuriating.
Most Chapters including open map ones have volumetric shadows on water, they look insane to this day. In Chapter 17, shadows on the river are straight out of a PS3 game still on PS5 and PC. Absolutely ridiculous.

Real-time GI would still benefit this game, as in-game characters lighting never matches the scene.

In the cutscenes, the character models were manually lit, so they look great, but not in gameplay. Try looking at some NPCs during gameplay. The lighting looks flat.
This is true technically, for some portions of the game at least, however I'm not sure a totally realistic, non manually adjusted character lighting would be necessarily an improvement, as I feel there's a chance it could compromise a little, from a merely artistic point of view, the game at times. ND used hero lighting effectively in many instances.
Also, not sure it's fair saying it never matches the scene.

uBR2nM2.gif

m95HBRq.png

9BXFQX2.png

HG5RYJA.png

dEqgUnb.png

x7ywkGk.png

EWT1zFC.png

cZvGBsB.png

aVRdfKc.png

CvyAMwY.png

J2nMzMp.png

x6PP990.png

fnpeUoI.png

La1GMsL.png

HUM5cx8.png

But I get maybe you're referring to instances like these:

h0UB1nH.png

Which I still find very pleasant to look at to be honest. RT GI isn't exactly perfect, for the time being, in vast majority of games using it. We still need way more rays imo.

Last edited:
Real-time GI would still benefit this game, as in-game characters lighting never matches the scene.

In the cutscenes, the character models were manually lit, so they look great, but not in gameplay. Try looking at some NPCs during gameplay. The lighting looks flat.

This game would also benefit from RT reflections.

Javi97

When GTA V was released, your son was 4 years old. Today you still have to wait 2 years to play GTA VI

mitch1971

Gold Member
I'm actually slightly more interested in how the pro treats last gen games. I've a lot more ps4 games to finsh than ps5 games. And so much cheaper to buy if I want to play something else.

This is true technically, for some portions of the game at least, however I'm not sure a totally realistic, non manually adjusted character lighting would be necessarily an improvement, as I feel there's a chance it could compromise a little, from a merely artistic point of view, the game at times. ND used hero lighting effectively in many instances.
Also, not sure it's fair saying it never matches the scene.

uBR2nM2.gif

m95HBRq.png

9BXFQX2.png

HG5RYJA.png

dEqgUnb.png

x7ywkGk.png

EWT1zFC.png

cZvGBsB.png

aVRdfKc.png

CvyAMwY.png

J2nMzMp.png

x6PP990.png

fnpeUoI.png

La1GMsL.png

HUM5cx8.png

But I get maybe you're referring to instances like these:

h0UB1nH.png

Which I still find very pleasant to look at to be honest. RT GI isn't exactly perfect, for the time being, in vast majority of games using it.

bZF9ACS.jpeg

vAkO0f2.jpeg

Real time GI makes a big difference when it comes to characters lighting as shown in Cyberpunk.

2osRSGz.jpeg

We still need way more rays imo.
An insufficient amount of rays is definitely a problem, especially in the PT games (noise, ghosting), however in hybrid RT games like metro exodus (standard edition, EE look like crap), the witcher 3, or even crysis 2 remastered (svogi) I saw no problems with image quality, so dynamic GI can be implemented well.

Last edited:

sachos

The problem is that this requires the developer to update the game, right? Like we will never get Immortals of Aveum running with PSSR instead of FSR. :messenger_neutral:
True. But they say they have up to 50 games coming for launch so if we are lucky maybe thats in there too.

BigLee74

Not differences I would personally see sitting as far away from my 50 inch TV as I do (and with my shitty old man eyes)

Improved frame rates however, I can get right behind!

Top Bottom