• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's New High-Bitrate 4K/60fps Footage Finally Offers a Proper Taste of PS5 Pro's Potential

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
zoom in on backpacks and rocks but still nothing to notice.

At least Huadong Cuisine is readable though.

ShakenG

Have to keep reminding myself that these shots are (performance mode Pro) vs (fidelity PS5) mode and the performance mode is night n day different. I had to watch that video on the teli and its looking pretty good so far. Its above my expectations from what ive seen so far.

Im also curious whether future updates will retrospectively upgrade PSSR in all games.. Pretty excited to see what progress is made from it.

Last edited:
And this is only the beginning. Sony have a few more years to work on PSSR for the ps6 and they only need to worry about optimising the shit out of it for one piece of hardware.
Yeah, this is true as well. They'll get a massive amount of data points from deploying this on Pro, collecting user data, and getting info from developers.

Diddy X

James Franco GIF

Ronin_7

This is more than what you get from going from $500 to $700 on a GPU in PC-land. Imagine going from a 7800XT for $500 with no DLSS to a 4070 Ti Super for $700. Except a 4070 Ti Super is only 30% faster than a 7800XT, while the PS5 Pro is 45% faster than the PS5. I think $700 is a fair price for what you're getting. Sure the console crowd may not be used to it... but like Leather Jacket Man said... "Moore's law is dead". From now on you're going to be paying more for more performance.
Facts

You did great OP and clearly spent some time on this. Someone had to do it (as clerly the 'experts' were not doing to do it at least for free for Playstation).
Better job with the OP than Sony's actual presentation did Vick Vick . In these comparisons, it's a pretty decent clarity upgrade over fidelity mode plus double the framerate. Not bad.
This is really important and this is why this showcase was a difficult one for Sony. How you show doubling the framerate? Cerny, again, did an astounding job given the ressources he had (a 60 CUs AMD GPU).

Loboxxx

Neo Member
Sony has a lot of work to do to show us and justify why this console costs twice as much as the PS5 (more if it has a disc drive and a stand...) and Cerny didn't show anything, only PS4 games with higher resolution.

Show me FF7 Rebirth, Dragon Dogma 2, Warhammer 40K 2, Wukon, etc and everything that comes with Unreal 5 at 4K quality and 60fps. Only then will I appreciate your purchase, at the moment it's all smoke and mirrors and to top it all, WITHOUT VERTICAL SUPPORT!!!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony has a lot of work to do to show us and justify why this console costs twice as much as the PS5 (more if it has a disc drive and a stand...) and Cerny didn't show anything, only PS4 games with higher resolution.

Show me FF7 Rebirth, Dragon Dogma 2, Warhammer 40K 2, Wukon, etc and everything that comes with Unreal 5 at 4K quality and 60fps. Only then will I appreciate your purchase, at the moment it's all smoke and mirrors and to top it all, WITHOUT VERTICAL SUPPORT!!!

Yup! We need to see true current gen games not PS4 games. It was all handled so badly.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I'm really on the fence. Later this month with the rumored SoP, as well as TGS, will be huge deciding factors for me. It really comes down to the games. I'm also considering saving up and getting a 65" LG C3 OLED.

Mr.Phoenix

Great work Vick Vick

For those still saying its not worth $700/£800.... I find that odd. We have been saying this even in the speculation thread, people need to stop looking at numbers like TF or % whatever and instead look at the results. And right now, the thing is showing IQ that looks better than what you get in the fidelity mode but at double the framerate.

How much more than the base model in cost is that worth? Because that is what we really should be looking at. If the base digital SKU costs $450, and the PS5pro costs $700, is better than fidelity mode IQ at twice the framerate, worth $250 more?

BlackTron

Lol you gotta be shitting me

$700 for this where’s Waldo difference

Most PS gamers can appreciate the difference between performance and fidelity mode, I think if this system basically says "I give both, spend more and instantly have everything" that's an easy to understand USP, not a Where's Waldo.

That's still an if in my mind, but a much smaller one after this thread. Looks like PS5 Pro can essentially do this but I wonder if Sony will actually tell anyone?

Last edited:

Leo9

Great work Vick Vick

For those still saying its not worth $700/£800.... I find that odd. We have been saying this even in the speculation thread, people need to stop looking at numbers like TF or % whatever and instead look at the results. And right now, the thing is showing IQ that looks better than what you get in the fidelity mode but at double the framerate.

How much more than the base model in cost is that worth? Because that is what we really should be looking at. If the base digital SKU costs $450, and the PS5pro costs $700, is better than fidelity mode IQ at twice the framerate, worth $250 more?
Double the framerate with the same CPU and a 45% increase in GPU rendering performance? How is that possible? Maybe in "heavy" ray traced scenes, but in raster the Pro can't be twice as fast. It will provide a better IQ thanks to better upscaling, but it won't achieve 60FPS in 30FPS games at the same native resolution.

Double the framerate with the same CPU and a 45% increase in GPU rendering performance? How is that possible? Maybe in "heavy" ray traced scenes, but in raster the Pro can't be twice as fast. It will provide a better IQ thanks to better upscaling, but it won't achieve 60FPS in 30FPS games at the same native resolution.

Let's revisit this post in a couple of months... :D

Mr.Phoenix

And even with the evidence in front of you, I guess some will still push this agenda.

First for the CPU. In cases where the game already has a 60fp mode on the PS5, you don't need a faster CPU to get to 60fps on the PS5pro. And in more cases than not, most games do come with a 60fps mode on the base model. There will be exceptions, but they will be the exception, not the norm.

As for the how is that possible thing, well, it's simple. PSSR. With PSSR, you do not need to render the native pixels at double the frame rate. No, with PSSR, you only need to render at anywhere between 1296p - 1440p natively, then use PSSR to take that to 4K, which also gives you the GPU headroom to render at 60fps. And as the images above have shown, you end up with something that looks better than the current Fidelity mode but running at 60fps.

So it doesn't have to do shit at the same native resolution, I don't know where that is coming from... it's not designed to do that. It's designed to use PSSR, which is something the base PS5 simply cannot do. What does it matter what native rez it's running at if the results look better than the base model fidelity mode while getting double the framerate?

Last edited:
And even with the evidence in front of you I guess some will still push this agenda.

First for the CPU. In cases where the game already has a 60fp mode on the PS5, you don't need a faster CPU to get to fps on the PS5pro. And in more cases than not, most games do come with a 60fps mode on the base model. There will be exceptions, but the will be the exception, not the norm.

As for the how is that possible thing, well, its simple. PSSR. With PSSR, you do not need to render the native pixels at double the frame rate. No, with PSSR, you only need to render at anywhere between 1296p - 1440p natively, then use PSSRE to take that to 4K, which also gives you the GPU headroom to render at 60fps. And as the images above have shown, you end up with something that looks better than the current Fidelity mode but running at 60fps.

So it doesn't have to do shit at the same native resolution, I don't know where that is coming from... its not designed to do that. Its designed to use PSSR, which is something the base PS5 simply cannot do. What does it matter what native rez its running at if the results looks better than the base model fidelity mode while getting double the framerate?

They simply won't listen....

They are still talking about raster and teraflops....

LOL

violence

FF7 reforged is the only game pushing me to have a PS5 pro. I'd rather they just optimize the game. Still going to wait for the PS6. The years past by so fast now...

Filben

Differences are as expected. This is not a PS6 or "nextgen". Fundamental differences visible even on a shitty low Bitrate stream was out of the question. This is for enthusiasts who spot the difference and want the best possible image quality and performance. If you can't see the difference than it's actually good for you: saves you a way too pricey piece of hardware.

Given how much enthusiasts spend on software and hardware though, I think a lot of these people will buy the console.

Personally, I don't think the upgrade is worth 800EUR to me, or the difference between base PS5 second hand selling price and MSPR of the Pro.

Mr.Phoenix

Differences are as expected. This is not a PS6 or "nextgen". Fundamental differences visible even on a shitty low Bitrate stream was out of the question. This is for enthusiasts who spot the difference and want the best possible image quality and performance. If you can't see the difference than it's actually good for you: saves you a way too pricey piece of hardware.

Given how much enthusiasts spend on software and hardware though, I think a lot of these people will buy the console.

Personally, I don't think the upgrade is worth 800EUR to me, or the difference between base PS5 second hand selling price and MSPR of the Pro.
Now this I can respect. I wish more people posted like this, though I guess that would be asking too much when sensationalism is trending.

There is a difference, and this is the kinda difference that most of us expected or were hoping for when the specs of this thing started to leak.

Now if on a personal level, that difference is worth it to some or not, that's another matter and I can't fault anyone for opting out. My issue has always been with disingenuous people displaying double standards while making a case for them opting out.

Top Bottom