• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN's New High-Bitrate 4K/60fps Footage Finally Offers a Proper Taste of PS5 Pro's Potential

hinch7

It’s a double-edged sword. You also don’t wanna show off how bad the base version looks lol.
Hah true. I wonder what masochrist would play it on that mode though. Looks like if someone poured vasaline over the screen.

They really released that 7 min video with Mark Cerny, a blog post and went into hiding huh...

I expected Digital Foundry and other places to have videos ready to be released but...nothing.

They really are trying to sell an 800€ console based on that lil video alone lmao.

Not really, PS5 Pro is not even up for sale right now

It was just an announcement. They still have 2 weeks to show what it can do

Radical_3d

The Pro will have to support cross-gen into the PS6 for at least 3 years to not be a complete ripoff.
Let’s be real. Anyone who buys the Pro is not going to wait a single day to purchase the PS6. We’re all junkies here. There is no outsider here to fool.
They really released that 7 min video with Mark Cerny, a blog post and went into hiding huh...

I expected Digital Foundry and other places to have videos ready to be released but...nothing.

They really are trying to sell an 800€ console based on that lil video alone lmao.
Agh. Hard agree. No matter what it’s in the end this first step has been the worst decision they could make in every aspect pile one into another.

King Dazzar

I disagree. But I think it should come with a stand. Lol.

The EU prices are too high, but I don't think the NA price is unreasonable.

Its a pretty significant upgrade from PS5 fidelity modes.
Without doubt for me, the price is taking the piss. But so is everyone else these days. To the point where by, piss taking is being normalised unfortunately. It is what it is. As hardware goes, the PS5 does feel cheap with the plastics used and for me its very much a look but dont touch bit of kit. When I lay the Pro on the side, with its dainty little shitty plastic leg, it wont look like a £700 bit of kit should.

That said, I'm day one, pre orders permitting. And throw on some black plates and it can sit there, discrete and hopefully silent. Which will be good. I'm already sold on what it'll bring technically. Which after all is the main importance for moi.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I will say though, I think Sony fucked up. They should have nerded it up some more with actual numbers to show the real differences. As it is, they had a shitty feed showing people barely perceptible image differences and asking for $700. They should have gone with resolution and frame rate numbers and perhaps shown a grid to show how PSSR fills out the additional pixels and how much of a dramatic improvement it really is over FSR/TAA/IGTI.

This console is for enthusiasts, so they should have vehiculated their message to them. That 9 minutes demo showing 5 seconds clips didn't cut it.

dumb-and-dumber-uh.gif

They were stupid and listened to the PS5 Cerny nerd drop and went the complete opposite direction. I never understand why billion dollar corporations listen to nobodies on Twitter.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Since its announcement I've been comparing pictures like

Cant See Ken Jeong GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

And also it says potential. I'm not buying anymore on potential alone.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You know Sony has a rumored State of Play coming later this month, right?

SolidQ

Interesting with Hogwart there in video 2 footages one 30 fps, other 60fps. That mean like 1440@60/4k@30 and both RT mode?

These differences are easy to spot when actually playing the game natively from the console on a TV. However due to Youtube compression destroying a lot of the original quality, zoomed in comparisons help to illustrate the difference.

A game like Horizon Forbidden West drove me absolutely mad constantly switching between fidelity and performance modes. The fidelity mode was just so friggin' crisp and detailed, but of course was locked to 30 FPS. The 60 FPS performance mode was blissful for how fluid the motion was, especially in combat, but so much of the detail was sacrificed.
I think my brain was hurting having to adjust to 30 everytime I flipped back

Neo_game

This bodes well for the future . They already know most gamers prefer performance mode. Although devs should not go below 1080P IMO. Hardware based AI upscaling will be a important factor in next gen as well. 8K to totally pointless IMO. Games should have fixed resolution whether 1080P,1440P or even 4K and then use the AI upscaling technique to improve the IQ. Usually I prefer 1440P with high res textures and good texture filtering.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Yeah but its not a remake, so isnt it essentially just an upscaled version of an upscaled version? I honestly expect the next ND to make TLOU2 PS5 to look last gen.

See I feel as though people really struggle with the facts.

Upscaled version of an upscaled version?

Like I don't think you know what upscaling means here.

There was a PS5 patch on the Ps4 game that would allow it to run at 60 fps, but it was still 1080p60.

The remaster upgraded that to 1440p60 in performance mode or 4K30 in fidelity mode. Once again, what's done here is 4K60.

So comparing this to the PS4 version of the game which ran at 1080p30 vs the PS5 Remaster on PS5 Pro which is 4K60... That's 4x the pixels and double the framerate of a title that came out 4 years ago. Hilarious that anyone doesn't realize what a jump that is, to call this "just a PS4 game"

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Trust me, we'll all get to see what the Pro can do once Sony start using that SKU FOR FOOTAGE ON EVERY TITLE THEY PUBLISH/SHOWCASE!

Just like Microsoft with the One X.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

See I feel as though people really struggle with the facts.

Upscaled version of an upscaled version?

Like I don't think you know what upscaling means here.

There was a PS5 patch on the Ps4 game that would allow it to run at 60 fps, but it was still 1080p60.

The remaster upgraded that to 1440p60 in performance mode or 4K30 in fidelity mode. Once again, what's done here is 4K60.

So comparing this to the PS4 version of the game which ran at 1080p30 vs the PS5 Remaster on PS5 Pro which is 4K60... That's 4x the pixels and double the framerate of a title that came out 4 years ago. Hilarious that anyone doesn't realize what a jump that is, to call this "just a PS4 game"

The patch ran at 1440p60 I think, because the Pro version already ran at 1440p30.

Seems like such a minuscule difference to me visually. 60fps in, presumably, most titles definitely seems like the biggest improvement imo.

Without a side-by-side I’d have told you this was just a standard Ps5 footage.
Its a much improved image, running at double the framerate of the base console. It's more than miniscule. It's not just running Fidelity mode at 60fps, it's improving it too.

Robb

Gold Member
Its a much improved image, running at double the framerate of the base console. It's more than miniscule. It's not just running Fidelity mode at 60fps, it's improving it too.
I’m sure it is, this is more of a ‘me’ problem.

I’m just saying, if I walked out of a room and you switched the image on the TV to a PS5 Pro when I walked back in I don’t think I’d be able to tell the difference, personally.

simpatico

I’d say they turned FSR from Performance to Balanced. Increased draw distance LOD from Low to Medium. Not a bad upgrade at all, but with PS6 right around the corner and zero exciting games even officially announced, it’s still a tough sell.

SABRE220

They really need to showcase the consoles raytracing capabilities with some impressive raytracing/gi overhauled fidelity modes for the pro. Having a cleaner image treatment alone isnt enough to sell this especially with the cpu limitations. Send out cyberpunk with an optimized path tracing mode at 30fps even if its 1080pish upscaled via pssr. Send out spiderman/horizon/ft7 with added high quality gi/bounce lighting. They are being so lazy with even their first party pro patches that I have lost hope.

Top Bottom