• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indonesia about the execute 9 foreigners for drug related charges (Bali 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
Their country believes so.

But I guess there's some innate God-given set of sentencing guidelines that deems that smuggling drugs is worthy of a lesser punishment that the Indonesians are apparently flouting. How dare they contravene the Objective Commandments of Suitable Penalties for Criminals.

and countries like Saudi Arabia have the death penalty for blasphemy and homosexuality, that's alright with you?

I think it's an overly harsh punishment but that is their law, don't want to die, don't smuggle drugs into their country.
It is scary as hell. I traveled through Malaysia two years ago, and in their airport, they play a video that tells you that if someone puts an illicit substance into your baggage without your knowledge--let alone your consent--and you get caught with it, you will be imprisoned or worse.

Like, there's tough, and there's unnecessary brutality, and this kind of thing definitely leans against the precipice between the two.

People should really read up or watch the documentary "The Act of Killing" to see the type of people that run things in Indonesia (and the American involvement).

and countries like Saudi Arabia have the death penalty for blasphemy and homosexuality, that's alright with you?

Nah, that's pretty fucked up. But there's a big difference between blasphemy/homosexuality and drug smuggling. The former are victimless crimes (well, they're not crimes at all, but uh... you know what I mean).

The idea that there's some sort of objective all knowing penalty for a crime is silly to me. The idea that something is barbaric... Europeans don't believe in the death penalty at all, so any use of it in the US is barbaric. The word "barbaric" has really lost all meaning to me. It basically seems to mean "something I don't like." Like the word "fascism."

Honestly I'm kinda torn. Smuggling drugs into a country is illegal and if you know the punishment then it shouldn't come as a surprise, especially since some of the drugs could mess up a person's life in that country.

Obviously you can make the argument that they were forced to smuggle the drugs in but unless that was stated then we don't know for sure, every drug smuggling operation situation is different from another.

So really if they did it knowingly then it sucks that they died but Southern Asia's drug policy is very strict and drug smuggling is illegal in pretty much every country.

If they did it while being forced then it's a sad situation altogether but like I said, I don't know the facts so I'm not sure what to make of the situation.

RM8

I wonder if this is actually effective at combating drug trafficking. Living in Mexico, I can't help but feel these crimes should indeed be harshly punished, but death penalty is... yikes. Awful situation all around.

Edward

Banned
Probably the firing squad.

Lethal injection would have been more humane I think.

Lethal injection LOOKS more humane, but it isn't.
"oh, he's falling asleep... and he's dead. That was peaceful".
No. That's not how it works. You're still killing someone. If it makes you feel better that it LOOKS like they're falling into a peaceful sleep, sure... but you're just lying to yourself.

It's like eating chicken nuggets. You can pretend that you're not eating mechanically separated chicken parts from chickens that were slaughtered inhumanely... but you are.

If you're going to eat meat, I think it's healthier and more respectful to at least acknowledge where it's coming from. If you're going to kill someone, I think it's healthier and more respectful to at least acknowledge that you're not putting someone into a peaceful nap.

The Llama

No. That's not how it works. You're still killing someone. If it makes you feel better that it LOOKS like they're falling into a peaceful sleep, sure... but you're just lying to yourself.

It's like eating chicken nuggets. You can pretend that you're not eating mechanically separated chicken parts from chickens that were slaughtered inhumanely... but you are.

If you're going to eat meat, I think it's healthier and more respectful to at least acknowledge where it's coming from. If you're going to kill someone, I think it's healthier and more respectful to at least acknowledge that you're not putting someone into a peaceful nap.

Don't hate on my chicken nuggets!

KingGondo

Banned
For those giving the "they knew the law, sucks to be them" defense: do you think that the death penalty is a proportionate punishment for drug trafficking?

Edward

Banned
Don't hate on my chicken nuggets!
Chicken nuggets are frigging delicious! But remember that there's a reason that they're shaped like random blobs and not shaped like chicken heads. It's too distance us from the uncomfortable notion(at least in North America..) that you're eating something that... well, didn't have a very pleasant life or death.

RM8

I think by "more humane" people simply mean that there's less suffering involved, not that they're not actually killing people. Unless it's actually a very painful process :0 I really don't know.

Edward

Banned
For those giving the "they knew the law, sucks to be them" defense: do you think that the death penalty is a proportionate punishment for drug trafficking?
Maybe. Probably not.
But still. They (hopefully) knew what they were getting into.

If someone told me that if I wore black shoes in their country, I'd be hit in the face with a pie, I think it would be silly and unfair... but I'd probably avoid wearing black shoes in their country.

The Llama

I think by "more humane" people simply mean that there's less suffering involved, not that they're not actually killing people. Unless it's actually a very painful process :0 I really don't know.

They use three drugs. The first makes you unconscious, the second paralyzes you, the third stops your heart. Whether its painful... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

clemenx

Banned
Don't fuck with drugs in southeast Asia.

Regardless of anyone's opinion about capital punishment that's something that everyone just knows.

I'm more disgusted about that appealing process TBH.

orochi91

I don't think that is more humane.

For what it's worth, lethal injection is far less messy, and will not result in a mutilated corpse.

I would prefer that over a firing squad any day.

For what it's worth, lethal injection is far less messy, and will not result in a mutilated corpse.

I would prefer that over a firing squad any day.

They aim for the heart in Indonesia (I think). Not like China, they put the a gun to the back of your head.

The family of a convict recently had to watch their family member struggling to breathe, and eventually suffocate to death for over 40 minutes in the US.

I thought only one person had ammunition in a firing squad

That's not practiced everywhere, and I believe it originated in soldiers having to execute their own guys because of desertion etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Which is my point :) SG is arguing that moral relativism cannot exist. I think that's pretty ridiculous; what we define as right and wrong is definitely engendered by our culture and values.

Moral relativism is stupid regardless. Its making a universal claim against universal claims.

orochi91

I thought only one person had ammunition in a firing squad

I'm not sure, I took it as its literal name.

As in, you're gun downed by an actual squad of people D:

They aim for the heart in Indonesia (I think). Not like China, they put the a gun to the back of your head.

The family of a convict recently had to watch their family member struggling to breathe, and eventually suffocate to death for over 40 minutes in the US.

Jesus, that's remarkably fucked up.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I absolutely despise drug dealing and the damage that potent drugs can do to people's lives but firing squad is a tad barbaric. There are better ways to keep people alive and have them suffer for their crimes.

What was the name of this convict and what crime did he commit to earn himself the death penalty?

EDIT: Looked it up myself. The only thing I found in my quick internet search was this guy http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-due-vein-failure-officials-article-1.1773508

And what did he do?

"In 1999, Lockett kidnapped, beat, and shot Stephanie Neiman, a nineteen-year-old high school graduate, friend of Lockett's other victims, and a witness to his crimes. The men beat her and used duct tape to bind her hands and cover her mouth. Even after being kidnapped and driven to a dusty country road, Neiman did not back down when Lockett asked if she planned to contact police. After she stated she would go to the police, Lockett decided to bury her alive.[5] Lockett ordered an accomplice to bury her while she was still breathing. She died from two wounds from a shotgun fired by Lockett.[5] In 2000, he was convicted of murder, rape, forcible sodomy, kidnapping, assault and battery and sentenced to death. Previously Lockett was sentenced to four years in prison for a conviction in 1996 in Grady County for conspiracy to commit a felony.[1]

At his 1999 murder trial, DNA from the dead victim, fingerprints from the duct tape used to bind the victim, and eye-witness testimony led to his murder conviction."

Yeah, fuck that guy. I don't even care.

Lamel

Banned
I'm against the death penalty, especially for drug trafficking. But these traffickers likely knew better than to operate where the laws are so strict. I realize that situations around certain crimes are different throughout the world; maybe drugs are a much more damaging thing in indonesian society.

Barbaric shithole treats people as livestock, news at 11.

A little intense there bro.

Yeah, fuck that guy. I don't even care.

You can't just randomly decide who gets killed humanely vs. who doesn't.

Which is my point :) SG is arguing that moral relativism cannot exist. I think that's pretty ridiculous; what we define as right and wrong is definitely engendered by our culture and values.
I mean "only siths deal in absolutes" is an absolute.

Of course our culture matters to what we think is right. But just because we think it is so doesn't make it so.

The Llama

What was the name of this convict and what crime did he commit to earn himself the death penalty?

I think he might be referring to this case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Execution_of_Clayton_Lockett

There was also this guy in January:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/15/us/oklahoma-execution-charles-frederick-warner/

"They poked me five times. It hurt. It feels like acid," Warner said, according to Murphy.

According to Murphy, the execution began at 7:10 p.m. CT (8:10 p.m. ET). Once it started, Warner said: "My body is on fire."

fizzik

Banned
If you don't want to get executed by firing squad in Indonesia, probably don't smuggle heroin through Indonesia.

Feel bad for the families, but I also feel bad for the families of people who OD. Those families don't get to see their children reform and grow. They just find them with a needle in their arm.

Oh shit, it wasn't 45 minutes, it was 15. Apologies, that teaches me for trusting my memory. Still, just as sickening in my opinion.

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/17/nation/la-na-execution-drugs-20140118

Oh no, I edited my post. I found the one where it took a guy 43 minutes to die. Your memory is good. :)

But it is hard for me to feel sympathy for him considering he kidnapped, beat, raped and shot a 19 year old girl with a shotgun twice after trying to bury her alive.

Yup- the first, fuck him. Did you read what he did?

The second guy.. hmm, lets look. Charles Frederick Warner. Oh he only fucking raped and killed an 11 MONTH OLD BABY. http://newsok.com/man-found-guilty-of-baby-rape-murder/article/1934580

Fuck that guy too.

All good candidates for the death penalty. Drug smuggling? No, I don't think that is on the same level as those two assholes who I hope suffered.

If you don't want to get executed by firing squad in Indonesia, probably don't smuggle heroin through Indonesia.

Feel bad for the families, but I also feel bad for the families of people who OD. Those families don't get to see their children reform and grow. They just find them with a needle in their arm.

If you don't want to be hung or stoned to death, don't be gay.

Toxi

Banned
Any use of the death penalty in the legal system is barbaric. Period. I don't care whether it's in Texas or Indonesia, I don't care if it's a mass murderer or a drug smuggler. It's a practice that has led to countless deaths of innocent people and been used by governments to murder their opponents. It has shown little practical benefit beyond satisfying bloodthirst.

Drug smugglers should be punished harshly. Nobody should be executed by the state.

Oh no, I edited my post. I found the one where it took a guy 43 minutes to die. Your memory is good. :)

But it is hard for me to feel sympathy for him considering he kidnapped, beat, raped and shot a 19 year old girl with a shotgun twice after trying to bury her alive.

Ah, good to know.

I don't particularly feel sympathy towards the criminal because of the disgusting shit they've done. I do find state sanctioned revenge torture/murder terrible though.

I don't really like retribution as a goal of punishment because I don't have bloodlust but if it makes you happy, ok then.

If you are going to rape and kill an 11-month old baby, then I don't think you have any business walking this earth anymore. There is no place for you in society.

It is a good thing people agree with me.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I'm really torn on these sorts of cases. On the one hand I think the death penalty is overly harsh for this sort of crime, but drugs destroy so many lives as well, and it is well known that countries like Indonesia will kill you for smuggling them. These people must have known the risk and they took a gamble and lost. Seeing interviews with the two Australian men, though, they both sounded like really really unintelligent people.

You can't just randomly decide who gets killed humanely vs. who doesn't.

True. But it is hard for me to really care when something inhumane happens to a person like that.

I'm glad we care about feeding, sheltering, comforting, and trying hard to make their end as painless as possible. But in the end, the sentence was served. Next.

Contra11

Banned
So .. why Indonesia become angry over execution of maids in Saudi Arabia .. since all of them did much worse then drug smuggling " Killing Children's"

This is the second time being gay has been brought up in this thread. I don't see the correlation.

The correlation being that you don't just have to swallow another country's shitty lack of human rights or barbaric punishment methods.

Nobody would make the 2nd argument (or at least not anyone with a sense of decency) so why is the first acceptable?

Mr Git

Do you know if Serge Atlaoui (french) was executed ?

French Newspaper says his ultimate appeal was rejected but his name doesn't appear on the list.

BBC News says his appeal is still withstanding. I noticed the other day that France had warned "of consequences" were he to be executed.

It's fucking awful this, though. Indonesia is very harsh on drugs offences of any kind.

I'm not sure this will end well. The Australian government had asked to delay the execution of their two nationals until they'd completed a corruption investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom