• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet |OT| of shadowy space spelunking

OnPoint

Release date: August 3, 2011

Developer: FuelCell Games

Price: 1200 Microsoft points ($15)

Official web site: ITSP MAIN SITE

Microsoft's US link: click here

Dashboard text: In this Insanely Twisted, 2-D action-adventure game, explore unique environments and battle bizarre creatures as you make your way toward the center of the mysterious Shadow Planet! Solve complex puzzles and upgrade your ship with alien technology as you fight to save your home world. Featuring both local and Xbox LIVE multiplayer game modes.​

AqzPe.png

mfzjy.png

Ice_Vibration_bug_740wtd.jpg

landing_zone_740wtd.jpg

HeartChamber_740wtd.jpg

L6_LanternDispenser_740wtd.jpg

magnetic_740wtd.jpg

NIwnn.png

I will make this offer up front.

Anyone that can provide HD wallpaper/print out and turn into a poster quality screen caps.

I will kill the top three people on their "Hate List"...barring Kim Kardashian.

Yes, this game is a lot of fun. I've been playing it for the past week and I'm about 70% through it. The only complaint I have so far is that in the
ice world
there are parts where the controls were a bit wonky and it actually made me kinda dizzy.

OnPoint

dankir said:
Wait this is out?? How come everybody is playing it?? I though it was releasing this week.

Accidentally released last week via the Microsoft store, was subsequently removed in less than 24 hours. Some people got it early. Review embargo was lifted today.

Awesome, can not wait for it to be available. Get to dust off the 360! :D

I'm just worried about the music if it's only in the cutscenes... i was under the impression that Dimmu Borgir plays all the time :D

Really looking forward to this. Looks just awesome :D

A bit off topic but does anyone know a good website where all xbla-reviews are being stored? Just like metacritic, but for xbla games only. I just picked up some points and I want to spend them on some xbla games.

Red

Reluctant-Hero said:
So this is kind of like a twin-stick Metroidvania? If so, I'm so ready for it.
Yes, it's also very linear.

robut said:
Is this game better played alone or in multiplayer?
Multiplayer component is far different from the solo game. It's a score attack mode.

Grisby

Bought. Been thinking about this or From Dust but I've been waiting too long for this game.

Thanks for the OT!

Special J

Banned
Steve McQueen said:
Really looking forward to this. Looks just awesome :D

A bit off topic but does anyone know a good website where all xbla-reviews are being stored? Just like metacritic, but for xbla games only. I just picked up some points and I want to spend them on some xbla games.

kinda annoying looked on meta and gr no filters to differentiate between xbla and retail games.

but i mean every title on summer of arcade are nothing but quality.

to TC: you should mention the publisher just to clarify that it probably is exclusive.

I don't think I can stomach another indie game that uses the clichéd "everything is solid black" trick. It was cool the first couple of times, now it's like "give your fucking game some graphics or go home".

Yeah, I know I'm sounding like a douche.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
xtrasauce said:
I don't think I can stomach another indie game that uses the clichéd "everything is solid black" trick. It was cool the first couple of times, now it's like "give your fucking game some graphics or go home".

What? The art design is straight from the guy who worked on The Iron Giant, Michel Gagné.

Special J said:
Careful, Fruit Ninja comes out soon so you can't say that yet.

ektoll

The animations are incredible, it's really beautiful.

How is the soundtrack in the game? Is there a lot of Dimmu Borgir in instrumental versions? If so, insta-buy!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to try this.

Special J said:
kinda annoying looked on meta and gr no filters to differentiate between xbla and retail games.

Yeah, that's what I meant, there's no filter in Metacritic.
I think I missed some gems from the past, that's why I'm looking for a site that covers all xbla games. Thanks for your answer anyway :)

Special J

Banned
xtrasauce said:

they do this because it looks the best for the budget. it basically allows the player to fill in the holes what they think should be there, essentially by allowing a persons subconscious to fill in those blanks they've created both something and nothing while appeasing what the player wanted.

Feep

Banned
For everyone ripping on Sterling's review, well...I completely agree, though I didn't feel as harshly on some points. My review should be up later today at G4.

Adam J.

To be fair, Michel Gagne had been doing the sillouette look long before it became the hip thing to do in sidescrollers. Look up some of his films--the man's an incredible artist and his involvement in this game makes it instantly distinct and noteworthy.

bathala

Banned
finished this game before From Dust

Finished it on one sitting that's how engaging it was.
really worth the points.

OnPoint

Feep said:
Sidenote, what other games besides Limbo do the silhouette thing?

Off the top of my head:

Patapon, Shank, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Braid (for like the first 10 seconds), Outland, some games in the Pixeljunk series kinda sorta

Kujo

For people who've played it, does this game have lots of background music? The 10 or so minute demo I saw had barely any in it, except maybe the boss fight

Syriel

Feep said:
For everyone ripping on Sterling's review, well...I completely agree, though I didn't feel as harshly on some points. My review should be up later today at G4.

I'm in a similar boat (wrote the WorthPlaying review).

I think the game is visually stunning, but the gameplay is on the shallow end of the spectrum, especially for a $15 title.

Plasma

Banned
This is the only summer of arcade release that I'm not really sold on, will have to give the trial a go.

Feep

Banned
Mojo said:
For people who've played it, does this game have lots of background music? The 10 or so minute demo I saw had barely any in it, except maybe the boss fight
Nearly zero background music.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Are there any plans for this to hit PC/Steam? Looks like a few hours of good fun, but with MS's wonky point system I'd like to avoid giving them $16 just to pony up $12 for this.

Vire

Is this coming to Steam any time soon? :/

Knuckleruckamus said:
Are there any plans for this to hit PC/Steam? Looks like a few hours of good fun, but with MS's wonky point system I'd like to avoid giving them $16 just to pony up $12 for this.
You can buy 400 points individually, so just buy 400 points 3 times. There you go, there's your $15 exactly.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
Vire said:
Is this coming to Steam any time soon? :/

You can buy 400 points individually, so just buy 400 points 3 times. There you go, there's your $15 exactly.

Your logic bested my weaseling excuse, so I'll just say that I'm dubious that it's worth the full $15 for its length/depth.

Vire

Knuckleruckamus said:
Your logic bested my weaseling excuse, so I'll just say that I'm dubious that it's worth the full $15 for its length/depth.
I think that's a fair assessment. It seems like a wonderful but brief experience. I'll let the trial sway my decision.

Red

Mojo said:
Almost quite literally nothing.
Vire said:
I think that's a fair assessment. It seems like a wonderful but brief experience. I'll let the trial sway my decision.
It took me about four hours, and I uncovered 100% of the map (but am still missing one collectible). Multiplayer is a different game entirely.

For those expecting a true Metroidvania, this game isn't really it. It's very, very linear. As in, you meet one objective and a marker instantly appears pointing to the next one. There are few things of worth off the beaten path. Majority of pick ups are unlocks for concept art and cutscenes.

Not necessarily trying to dissuade anyone, simply pointing out its limitations.

Am I the only one who noticed the poor performance in some areas? Final boss ran at like half speed, and that wasn't the only place performance took a dive.

Feep

Banned
Crunched said:
Almost quite literally nothing.

It took me about four hours, and I uncovered 100% of the map (but am still missing one collectible). Multiplayer is a different game entirely.

For those expecting a true Metroidvania, this game isn't really it. It's very, very linear. As in, you meet one objective and a marker instantly appears pointing to the next one. There are few things of worth off the beaten path. Majority of pick ups are unlocks for concept art and cutscenes.

Not necessarily trying to dissuade anyone, simply pointing out its limitations.

Am I the only one who noticed the poor performance in some areas? Final boss ran at like half speed, and that wasn't the only place performance took a dive.
Only about 1.5 seconds of the final boss battle were stuttery for me
(when the lasers first rise up in the second phase)
, but there were noticeable hits throughout the game.

Top Bottom