• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet |OT| of shadowy space spelunking

soldat7

xtrasauce said:
I don't think I can stomach another indie game that uses the clichéd "everything is solid black" trick. It was cool the first couple of times, now it's like "give your fucking game some graphics or go home".

Yeah, I know I'm sounding like a douche.

The art style is gorgeous and not used that much in games. Then again, I've always loved Jan Pienkowski.

Tymerend

Can't wait! Been looking forward to this since I saw the first teaser trailer and they were looking for funding. Glad it got finished.

feel

Bought this along fruitninja and from dust from the Microsoft site. Played it for about 5 min the other day and it seemed incredible, though I had no idea wtf was going on plot wise or gameplay wise (I'm my defense, I was sleepy it was like 3am). I'm waiting till I'm done with Bastion to dedicate my full attention to it. Really excited to get into it, and what a fuckin amazing summer of arcade.

OnPoint

Sad_Panda said:
3 hours in, 75% of the Campaign finished. Can't say the game is bad, but it's incredibly forgettable and linear.

I guess that's why I've started cringing when people attach the term Metroidvania to this. It's more like Solar Jetman and Ecco the Dolphin than Metroid or Castlevania as far as I can see it. Calling it a Metroidvania gives people the wrong impression.

Ocaso

I think people throw out the term Metroidvania way too generously nowadays, as if simply being a sprawling 2D sidescroller were enough. If exploration isn't built around the acquisition of new abilities and progression isn't at least somewhat obfuscated, then a game really isn't really following the Metroidvania formula.

That said, from the smattering of reviews I've read it does seem like this game might fit the bill. I'm interested in playing it, and being able to explore a weird alien planet should appeal to Metroid fans regardless of whether the game is a Metroidvania or not.

Red

Ocaso said:
I think people throw out the term Metroidvania way too generously nowadays, as if simply being a sprawling 2D sidescroller were enough. If exploration isn't built around the acquisition of new abilities and progression isn't at least somewhat obfuscated, then a game really isn't really following the Metroidvania formula.

That said, from the smattering of reviews I've read it does seem like this game might fit the bill. I'm interested in playing it, and being able to explore a weird alien planet should appeal to Metroid fans regardless of whether the game is a Metroidvania or not.
This game is exactly that, but it's much more linear than typical Metroid/Castlevania games. You find upgrades to progress and all that, but it's almost always a charge forward. Also, every time you reach an objective a new marker appears to indicate where you're to go next.

Tawpgun

I hear so many good things about this game.

And then there's things like this

http://worthplaying.com/article/2011/8/1/reviews/82615/

And other user comments.

Not sure if I should get. I loved the music in Bastion and it was amazing. From Dust disappointed me with the trial. But I know trials are poor representations of the entire product. Bastions trial was good but it didn't show you how AMAZING the game could become.

Very hesitant....

A27 Tawpgun said:

And other user comments.

Not sure if I should get. I loved the music in Bastion and it was amazing. From Dust disappointed me with the trial. But I know trials are poor representations of the entire product. Bastions trial was good but it didn't show you how AMAZING the game could become.

Very hesitant....

Think of all the worse things you could spend $15 on. That's like, 3 beers at the pub (and you can't replay those!).

Red

A27 Tawpgun said:

And other user comments.

Very hesitant....
The remarks about loose control, especially over the rockets... are absolutely untrue. The only control issue is with carrying/placing objects with the grapple arm. The ship control and rocket control is fine, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The "narrow corridors" mentioned that rockets need to be navigated through give you such a huge margin for error that it'd be tough to fail. Plus each rocket can hit a wall, what, like five times before it blows? That's the very last thing to complain about in this game. Says something about twitch reflexes as well, which is so off. It's a floaty, relaxing game 90% of the time. I can think of maybe two bosses that require quick reactions.

It also overestimates length. Took me about four hours to collect all but one object and finish the game.

Bastion is the best of the Summer lineup this year. There's no question about that. ITSP is alright, but it's tough to recommend at $15. There's always multiplayer, which is basically a score attack, but there's no guarantee that you'll personally find value there.

Don't go in expecting a great soundtrack either -- there's only one song in the game, and it plays exclusively during the opening and ending cutscenes.

Ocaso

Crunched said:
This game is exactly that, but it's much more linear than typical Metroid/Castlevania games. You find upgrades to progress and all that, but it's almost always a charge forward. Also, every time you reach an objective a new marker appears to indicate where you're to go next.

So it's like Outland then? The hand-holding in that game took away any satisfaction one could have derived from exploration. It's a shame developers nowadays are so afraid to let gamers figure things out for themselves.

$15 for 4-6 hours isn't entirely unreasonable provided the game remains satisfying. I'll definitely try the demo out with interest, but it doesn't sound like this is the must-buy I would have hoped it to be.

Red

Ocaso said:
So it's like Outland then? The hand-holding in that game took away any satisfaction one could have derived from exploration. It's a shame developers nowadays are so afraid to let gamers figure things out for themselves.

$15 for 4-6 hours isn't entirely unreasonable provided the game remains satisfying. I'll definitely try the demo out with interest, but it doesn't sound like this is the must-buy I would have hoped it to be.
I haven't finished Outland, but from what I played it seemed to be level-based? There are loading screens in ITSP, but it's not broken up into the same sort of named "zones." I mean, there are different themed areas, but they're nearly all built into a seamless world.

And there is still a bit to figure out in ITSP. Bosses, for instance, are usually puzzles in themselves (and happened to be my favorite part of the game after the visuals). There's no text at all outside menus and titles, so you're left on your own to figure out what to do (just not where to go).

That said, the game does a very respectable job of priming you for upcoming puzzles through environmental clues.

The markers are closest to Metroid Zero Mission's, if we're comparing games. But the world is more enclosed than most Metroid titles. Think something like Metroid Prime 3 or Other M, where a branching path is typically not more than a room or two containing a hidden collectible.

Cerepol

fuck, it turned out to be a XBLA game, I've been following it for like a year and this is how I'm repaid. Well I guess my $15 is safe >_<

Feep

Banned
Cerepol said:
fuck, it turned out to be a XBLA game, I've been following it for like a year and this is how I'm repaid. Well I guess my $15 is safe >_<
Yeah, I hate games you can download instantly, are one-fourth the cost of a retail release, and come with a representative demo.

Cerepol

Feep said:
Yeah, I hate games you can download instantly, are one-fourth the cost of a retail release, and come with a representative demo.

>_> I wasn't making a comment on XBLA, I was making a comment on the fact I don't have a 360 and am not buying one for 3 XBLA games I want.

Basically when it was first previewed I had hoped beyond hope that PC would be a release platform, but alas as we can see now it is not, Ergo I can't play it

OnPoint

Crunched said:
The remarks about loose control, especially over the rockets... are absolutely untrue. The only control issue is with carrying/placing objects with the grapple arm. The ship control and rocket control is fine, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The "narrow corridors" mentioned that rockets need to be navigated through give you such a huge margin for error that it'd be tough to fail. Plus each rocket can hit a wall, what, like five times before it blows? That's the very last thing to complain about in this game. Says something about twitch reflexes as well, which is so off. It's a floaty, relaxing game 90% of the time. I can think of maybe two bosses that require quick reactions.

It also overestimates length. Took me about four hours to collect all but one object and finish the game.

Bastion is the best of the Summer lineup this year. There's no question about that. ITSP is alright, but it's tough to recommend at $15. There's always multiplayer, which is basically a score attack, but there's no guarantee that you'll personally find value there.

Don't go in expecting a great soundtrack either -- there's only one song in the game, and it plays exclusively during the opening and ending cutscenes.

I'll defend a lot about this game, and I never really had a problem with the grapple arm, but the rocket controls absolutely do suck.

Cerepol said:
>_> I wasn't making a comment on XBLA, I was making a comment on the fact I don't have a 360 and am not buying one for 3 XBLA games I want.

Basically when it was first previewed I had hoped beyond hope that PC would be a release platform, but alas as we can see now it is not, Ergo I can't play it

360's are cheap and XBLA is a goldmine. There is no excuse.

Cerepol

I'm not buying a 360 just for 3 games. I'm sorry as awesome as those 3 games are, its not worth it to me, not to mention I'm incredibly cheap and have been ruined by steams awesome sales so XBLA games seem overpriced in comparison

OnPoint

Well you don't buy it just for three games you want. You buy it and get those, but I would guess there are far more than three titles you would enjoy on XBLA. Then there's the Indie Channel, which has been a little rough in quality over the last month but is also an incredible (and cheap!) source of great games.

Pretty sure you can find Xbox 360s with broken disc drives for super cheap.

Red

Yeah Cerepol, I'm not going to suggest you run out and buy a $200 for 3 games, but if you ever see a discless 360 for cheap, like ~$100, jump on that. XBLA is one of the best things to come out of this gen's consoles.

I understand the concern about game prices, though. Steam has us spoiled.

OnPoint said:
I'll defend a lot about this game, and I never really had a problem with the grapple arm, but the rocket controls absolutely do suck.
Well that's completely bizarre to me. Rockets controlled perfectly, I can't imagine them functioning better. They steer from the rear, just as they should.

The grapple arm, though? Man, was it frustrating during the
electric zone, trying to get the battery lined up to sockets.
That's not to mention when it flat out doesn't work, and you're clutching madly at objects that seem to fade right through your claw. It was the only mechanic in the game that really frustrated me, and it was one of the most used.

I did like that you could grab enemies and smash them into each other, though. Nice touch.

I liked the game as well, don't get me wrong. Glad I played it. But I think it has some problems, and that a few mechanics don't quite live up to the art.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Does every XBLA thread need to start like this? Gets really tiring. From Dust atleast made since due to a PC release planned day and date, but lately this stuff infects every thread.

Two hours in, 55% completion. I described it to my friend as a space shooter with little shooting in a metroid map. Enjoying it for the time being, but I see myself forgetting about this game in about a week.

I have some really high hopes for this game. Some of these impressions aren't great but I'm still totally willing to give it a shot. At the very least, it looks gorgeous.

S1kkZ

can you download the trial? its up on the us mp but when i start the download it gives me an error message.

Lima

S1kkZ said:
can you download the trial? its up on the us mp but when i start the download it gives me an error message.

Yup same here. Went straight to buy and just getting a bunch of error messages right now. Sucks.

Morphis

Just bought it, on EU MP.

Played like the first 10 minutes or so,
the homeworld portion before you get to the shadow planet itself.

Hoped that the exploration would ramp up, sad to read it doesn't. I still really like the look and feel of the game through, I'm looking forward to playing more.

Cerepol said:

Lately...my 360 has been nothing but an XBLA player and I'm completely satisfied with that.

XBLA is a fucking goldmine, sir.

_Alkaline_ said:
I have some really high hopes for this game. Some of these impressions aren't great but I'm still totally willing to give it a shot. At the very least, it looks gorgeous.

With a demo for every game, it is easy to give each game a shot. Downloading now.

Top Bottom