• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet |OT| of shadowy space spelunking

chris121580

I've been playing since last week taking my time and am now about 75% done but stuck. Any help would be appreciated:
I'm stuck on trying to figure out how to get the last mini gear. I have a bunch of purple boxes scattered around and gears everywhere going in different directions. There's a gear that I need to switch the direction of to get above to get the last mini gear. I've figured out how to get all the boxes down but I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do with them. Sorry if this is a little vague but not sure how to explain the rest. The whole area is a pretty pinnacle part in the game where you have to collect the 4 mini gears and I'm on the alst one

clip_image001.gif

This thread is dead. GAF doesn't care about ITSP.

OnPoint

ProtoCents said:
clip_image001.gif

This thread is dead. GAF doesn't care about ITSP.

It's quite depressing because the game does some really good things. I understand it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I've seen far less interesting games get way more posts.

Microsoft should be marketing all of these games harder, but this one especially since they're publishing it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Lotta GAF already played it thanks to the early release snafu. I did so and dug it, it's a short game but I've got no regrets.

I'm not sure what Crunched is on about by pounding on his pulpit that it's a totally linear game. Every Metroid-like has a pretty well-focused path the game is guiding you down, whether it expressly spells it out with waypoints or not. There's a big interconnected map it sends you around in myriad directions and there's plenty of optional little splinters to explore for optional items/upgrades and revisit once you get the appropriate weapons to access them and such. Sounds like a Metroid-style game to me. Those splinters may not go so far off the beaten path as other games of this ilk, but they're there. They probably just seem a bit neutered because you can scan them and it'll add a marker on the map telling you what location needs which weapon to progress, which takes away the "alright, I got this weapon, now where did I see that place I could use it?" memorization element. You could, of course, just not use the scanner if you want to retain that.

vermadas

chris121580 said:
I've been playing since last week taking my time and am now about 75% done but stuck. Any help would be appreciated:
I'm stuck on trying to figure out how to get the last mini gear. I have a bunch of purple boxes scattered around and gears everywhere going in different directions. There's a gear that I need to switch the direction of to get above to get the last mini gear. I've figured out how to get all the boxes down but I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do with them. Sorry if this is a little vague but not sure how to explain the rest. The whole area is a pretty pinnacle part in the game where you have to collect the 4 mini gears and I'm on the alst one

Read this first for minor hint:
It sounds like you are trying to find a way to navigate to the mini-gear. Instead, find a way to bring the mini-gear to you

More details if you are still stuck:
Start at the top. I think you have to use a missile to release the mini-gear initially. Then you can use the purple ray gun thing to shift openings around to send it downward. The little purple boxes are there to help you guide the mini-gear, since you can't control it directly.

Hope that helps.

OnPoint said:
It's quite depressing because the game does some really good things. I understand it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I've seen far less interesting games get way more posts.

Microsoft should be marketing all of these games harder, but this one especially since they're publishing it.

Game is awesome, but over 700 people were on the leaderboards before the game released due to getting it a week ago so I'm sure tons of people from GAF played it to death before the OT was even created.

Red

Shig said:
Lotta GAF already played it thanks to the early release snafu. I did so and dug it, it's a short game but I've got no regrets.

I'm not sure what Crunched is on about by pounding on his pulpit that it's a totally linear game. Every Metroid-like has a pretty well-focused path the game is guiding you down, whether it expressly spells it out with waypoints or not. There's a big interconnected map it sends you around in myriad directions and there's plenty of optional little splinters to explore for optional items/upgrades and revisit once you get the appropriate weapons to access them and such. Sounds like a Metroid-style game to me. Those splinters may not go so far off the beaten path as other games of this ilk, but they're there. They probably just seem a bit neutered because you can scan them and it'll add a marker on the map telling you what location needs which weapon to progress, which takes away the "alright, I got this weapon, now where did I see that place I could use it?" memorization element. You could, of course, just not use the scanner if you want to retain that.
Metroid-lite. It's very straightforward, with constant waypoints and no alternate routes. Not something I can see being sequence broken, put it that way.

In that regard it lacks the replay value of games like Shadow Complex and Super Metroid.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Crunched said:
Metroid-lite. It's very straightforward, with constant waypoints and no alternate routes. Not something I can see being sequence broken, put it that way.
Yeah, that's true.

It would be a stronger game if it simply had a difficulty select at the beginning to ease back on the handholding; EASY to keep it like what we got, NORMAL to turn off waypoints and not place markers permanently on your map whenever you scanned a passage that needed a weapon you didn't have.

OnPoint

Shig said:
Yeah, that's true.

It would be a stronger game if it simply had a difficulty select at the beginning to ease back on the handholding; EASY to keep it like what we got, NORMAL to turn off waypoints and not place markers permanently on your map whenever you scanned a passage that needed a weapon you didn't have.

I tended to ignore the scanner through the game, not because I wanted to make it more difficult but because I tended to forget it was there. It's really not a necessary component and is easily left unused.

The waypoint system on the map should be optional, however. The map is pretty much obviously laid out in the screen even when you are just starting, though. It's just covered over.

I'm usually pretty big on SoA and buy every game on release day but given the fact that I have huge backlog and that these games will probably be on sale sometime around christmas, I'm trying my best to not hop on this.

That said, I bought 2100 points today so maybe I'll pick it up if I like the trial.

NME

Giant Bomb - 4/5

The art style is really fantastic, and I was just saying how I wanted to play a new Metroidvania-ish game. I can see why folks would want a longer or more nuanced game, but I think this will be right up my alley.

Already stuck (I'm very early in the game):

I went off the beaten path a bit--to that room with the giant drill-like thing that you pull those antennas off of. I did that, the thing is raised, and there's an orb at the bottom of the room that hurts me. There doesn't appear to be any way out of the room. What do I do?

Red

Jimmy Stav said:
Already stuck (I'm very early in the game):

I went off the beaten path a bit--to that room with the giant drill-like thing that you pull those antennas off of. I did that, the thing is raised, and there's an orb at the bottom of the room that hurts me. There doesn't appear to be any way out of the room. What do I do?
Heat up a rock.

This puzzle bugged out on me when I played, but worked after reloading a save.

TheOddOne

ashbash159 said:
Is this game coming to the PC?

On Giant Bomb's page for this game it says it is coming to the PC.
No word on the PC release yet.

Been enjoying the game immensely, love the calm vibe.

Teknoman

I really hope the team and Michel Gagne make a platformer at some point with a similar art style, especially with the cartoon short.

Mrbob

I'll try the demo when I get home. Concept seems interesting, but if the execution is a bit generic I can wait on a price drop.

Special J said:
has there been any ms published xbla game that has came out on pc?

I believe Orcs Must Die will be the first.

tjohn86

Bought it and played for about an hour this morning. Loving it so far.

Kind of concerned im like 30% done in already.

Spookie

Welp I've finished it. Twas enjoyable but I was bored before I reached the final two zones, at that point I'd felt I've seen everything and just wanted to be done with it. :(

Red

O.DOGG said:
This needs to be on the PC.
Would prefer Shadow Complex far more myself. ITSP looks better and has a more interesting setting, but Shadow Complex is the more substantial game.

Twinduct

Crunched said:
Would prefer Shadow Complex far more myself. ITSP looks better and has a more interesting setting, but Shadow Complex is the more substantial game.

This and shadow's complex needs to come to PC. Quick question, how long before a game like this goes down in price? XBLA points is waaay to expensive around here, so not spending close to what would be $40 on a 4 hour game!

Twinduct said:
This and shadow's complex needs to come to PC. Quick question, how long before a game like this goes down in price? XBLA points is waaay to expensive around here, so not spending close to what would be $40 on a 4 hour game!
MS will probably throw all of the SoA games on sale during the winter. I think they did last year as well, right before the winter "Block Party" promotion began.

Ocaso

Shig said:

A Metroidvania that blatantly points out the ideal path is like a puzzle game that spits out its own answers: it robs you of the satisfaction of figuring things out for yourself.

Twinduct

Reluctant-Hero said:
MS will probably throw all of the SoA games on sale during the winter. I think they did last year as well, right before the winter "Block Party" promotion began.

Nice, will pick it up by then (if not announced for PC). The wait is going to be terrible, been looking forward to it!

Off to download the trial :)
Twinduct said:
Wow, $40 for 1200 points? Can't you just buy the points off MS?

Twinduct said:

1200MSP = $40?

lol...

PLayed the demo, noticed that the framerate isn't quite stable and it's not very easy to aim ( I think Pixel Junk Shooter -as a twin stick shooter -does a better job when aiming ). Tbh....demo left me a bit disappointed, or maybe I expected too much.

Red

Steve McQueen said:
PLayed the demo, noticed that the framerate isn't quite stable and it's not very easy to aim ( I think Pixel Junk Shooter -as a twin stick shooter -does a better job when aiming ). Tbh....demo left me a bit disappointed, or maybe I expected too much.
Been warning you guys about the frame rate since the early release. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned it.

Ocaso said:
A Metroidvania that blatantly points out the ideal path is like a puzzle game that spits out its own answers: it robs you of the satisfaction of figuring things out for yourself.
It's not that it points out an ideal path. It points out the destination. There's always only one way to get there. The game seems to actively go out of its way to force you down certain corridors. Imagine if Super Metroid's elevators were all one-way, and there were no hidden passages. That's the kind of dynamic ITSP uses.

I think I sound like I hate the game, which couldn't be farther from the truth. It's good, it's very solid, but it's more a light puzzler with a Metroid-like map than it is a true Metroidvania experience. I guess my posts are meant more to curb expectations than they are a statement that "the game is bad."

Twinduct said:
Nice, will pick it up by then (if not announced for PC). The wait is going to be terrible, been looking forward to it!
Wait no longer.

OnPoint

Ocaso said:

Um? Modern Metroid titles definitely did this

Red

OnPoint said:
Um? Modern Metroid titles definitely did this
Don't remind me :(
Jimmy Stav said:
Could I have permanently missed something on the home planet? I read there is concept art there and I can't remember if I had found it or not.
Haha what

If true that's probably the one I'm missing

Could I have permanently missed something on the home planet? I read there is concept art there and I can't remember if I had found it or not.

Bought it, been looking forward to this for years. Love it so far, although I'm kind of stuck already. I'll figure it out soon, I'm sure, though. Really fun!

PooBone

I'm stuck early on, anyone wanna give me a hand?

I don't have the buzzsaw yet, but I have the shield. I killed the one boss early on that spins and spits the little creatures at you and has regenerating eyeballs that stick out of it, and then I went more towards the middle of the map and would up w/ a big drill thing with a sawblade on the end, and there's a little swarm going between the blade and these two red balls on either side, and there's rocks there that I can pickup that glow blue, and if I put them in front of the flame the swarm flocks to it and kills me.

TheOddOne

PooBone said:

I don't have the buzzsaw yet, but I have the shield. I killed the one boss early on that spins and spits the little creatures at you and has regenerating eyeballs that stick out of it, and then I went more towards the middle of the map and would up w/ a big drill thing with a sawblade on the end, and there's a little swarm going between the blade and these two red balls on either side, and there's rocks there that I can pickup that glow blue, and if I put them in front of the flame the swarm flocks to it and kills me.
Drop the rock the moment they come for it.

Red

PooBone said:

Scan the big thing, you'll figure it out.

Adam J.

I'm almost to the very end and didn't even know there was a shield (lol). Is it really well hidden? I sure could have used it during some of these boss-fights.

PooBone

Just stopped and my progress and map exploration are both at 33%. Doesn't seem like I've been playing that long.

Top Bottom