• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet |OT| of shadowy space spelunking

Gaspode_T

The shield is probably just in a little nook you haven't explored yet, even if the map shows up it doesn't mean you've taken every passage way.

I made it to what I thought was the first boss but the achievement didn't tick so it must have been a mini boss. Still loving this game, lives up to the hype, animation is incredible.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Lately...my 360 has been nothing but an XBLA player and I'm completely satisfied with that.

XBLA is a fucking goldmine, sir.

That it truly is! :)

Can't wait for my 360 to arrive so I can play the thing!

I'm loving this so far. Beat what I think was the 2nd boss and am now at
(the ice section)
... I wish there was background music. Oh well, at least I can catch up on podcast backlog.

Haunted

Demo was pretty great, but with the reported length, 1200 points does seem a bit steep. 2D PC Indie gaming prices have spoiled me.

Grisby

Haven't bought yet, still finishing 2nd run through of Bastion but Ima gonna. The framerate and length discussion is a bit disappointing but damn if I haven't been watching this thing for years.

chris121580

vermadas said:
Read this first for minor hint:
It sounds like you are trying to find a way to navigate to the mini-gear. Instead, find a way to bring the mini-gear to you

More details if you are still stuck:
Start at the top. I think you have to use a missile to release the mini-gear initially. Then you can use the purple ray gun thing to shift openings around to send it downward. The little purple boxes are there to help you guide the mini-gear, since you can't control it directly.

Hope that helps.
Awesome. Thanks so much. Felt like an idiot on that one :lol

Really loving this game so far, I think I'm fairly close to the end but one of the zones near the end is kind of aggravating me so I stopped.

Late Game Zone Spoilers:
The Electrical Zone is just annoying. The little electrical sprites are kind of hard to kill while charging up the yellow bulbs you have to destroy. Also, as a general complaint for the whole game, the claw needs better reading. Lots of times I'll go to grab something and think I have it, only to have sped away and not have anything. Best example is the Electrical Zone when you're using the lantern to blow up the bulbs and have the squid chasing you. It's very time intensive and I died a few extra times simply because the claw wouldn't grab at the right time.

Overall, though, I'm really enjoying it. I'd give it an 8/10, but I think Bastion's already locked on to my downloadable game of the year.

Red

BigJiantRobut said:
I only have time/room in my heart enough for one Metroidvania right now.

This or Shadow Complex?
Shadow Complex. ITSP is nowhere near it as a Metroidvania game.

Shadow Complex is seriously good. ITSP is just good. Regular ol' good.

SC also has a massive amount of replay value for the speedrunner and completionist crowd, while ITSP has virtually nothing for either.

Gaspode_T

I don't like Shadow Complex nearly as much as I do ITSP...Different strokes for different folks

The animation style is so different it's barely even comparable, but if anything Outland brings something more creative to the plate than both of these games (the bullet polarity thing), then ITSP wins on artistic merit and Shadow Complex maybe like you say for graphics and speedrun depth.

Red

Gaspode_T said:
I don't like Shadow Complex nearly as much as I do ITSP...Different strokes for different folks

The animation style is so different it's barely even comparable, but if anything Outland brings something more creative to the plate than both of these games (the bullet polarity thing), then ITSP wins on artistic merit and Shadow Complex maybe like you say for graphics and speedrun depth.
Graphics I'd say go to ITSP, everything else to SC.

He asked for a Metroidvania game, and I don't think ITSP fits the bill. It's got a Metroid-like map, but doesn't progress the same way and lacks replayability. No sequence breaking or multiple routes. It's more a light puzzle game than a true Metroidvania. It's not like you get progressive upgrades like better jump, faster speed, etc. Your only significant expansion items are "shoot two bullets," "shoot three bullets," and "shoot five bullets." You've got a selection of other items but they're all essentially keys to progress linearly than they are tools to play around with. Hopefully I am explaining myself well enough? It's a shadow of a Metroidvania game (pun intended), but not really the same thing

I haven't finished Outland yet but it's absolutely beautiful. Seems to be level based though? How open is the actual game map?

None of them are perfect, but Shadow Complex is by far the closest to a legacy Metroidvania experience. The only glaring problem in that one is a "point of no return," but it's remedied if you plan to replay by the addition of NG+.

HBroward

I have only one major gripe with this game. Why can't you map inventory items to the d-pad in addition to the face buttons? The d-pad isn't even used in this game, such a waste.

Megasoum

Banned
Well...to put it simply, I've been playing ITSP all day, it's good....but I REALLY want to play more Shadow Complex now lol. I think I'll start a third playthrough.

mujun said:
Is it just me or is there a bunch of port begging going on in this thread?

"When is it out on Steam?"

"PSN?"

"Why isn't this coming out on Steam"

"No PSN, no buy"

are staples of any 360/XBLA exclusive thread.

VALIS

mujun said:
Is it just me or is there a bunch of port begging going on in this thread?

Every time a new batch of mods is added I think, "Ah ha, now the XBLA threads won't have so many port begging mutants clogging it up with their trivial whining and off topic distractions."

Maybe the next batch. :(

mujun

Infamous Chris said:
The same thing goes in in every XBLA thread, pretty much.

There is definitely more precedent with XBLA stuff eventually heading to other platforms, moreso than PSN, for example.

Still don't think that means that people should use it as free license.

jtrov

I'm really enjoying this game so far, which is great, because I was looking forward to it for some time. The atmosphere present through out is just amazing, and the ambient sound work, a long with the sound effects of your ship is just so well done. I just love the free flowing experience with the ship, and I'm having a lot of fun flying around and exploring as far off the path as I can. It's a shame the game seems like it's going to be a tad on the short side, but Lantern Mode looks to be quite awesome. I haven't played it yet, but after watching the GB QL, Lantern Mode looked to be quite a time sink for both single and multi-play.

Can't wait to get off from work so I can dive back in. I'll probably try some Lantern Mode as well. If anyone is down for some co-op later, let me know.

Twinduct

Just wanted to take this space to thank Crunched!
Not only did he completely turn around my horrible .. horrible day. But he honestly did something generous without any hidden intent, something that I've seldom experience in life, let alone online!

To make this short, for no reason at all, he gifted me 3200 points. This might be throw away for some, however in my region 1600 points = R343 = US$52.
This is in no means a small gift.

Again, thank you Crunched! Now I can finally experience Shadow Complex and ITSP!
(Guess this part is compulsory 'Crunched, you are a gentleman and a scholar!')

Adam J.

ITSP is this teams first game isn't it? Really terrific title and one of the most unique experiences available on XBLA. I wonder if Michel Gagne will go back to films or make another game. I'd love to see him make a game based on his Saga Of Rex comic...

jtrov

Finally got a chance to play some Lantern mode and I really enjoyed it. I really love the teamwork aspect of it and saw some neat new tricks you can use cooperatively on certain enemies. I also really love the tension that builds as you are trying to outrun whatever this alien may be; so many exciting and tense split second moments. Such a fun little distraction that adds a nice diversion from the main campaign, while also giving the game some nice replay value.

Jimmy Stav said:
Could I have permanently missed something on the home planet? I read there is concept art there and I can't remember if I had found it or not.

Anyone? I'd hate to go for 100% only to realize that I missed something here.

OnPoint

Twinduct said:
Just wanted to take this space to thank Crunched!
Not only did he completely turn around my horrible .. horrible day. But he honestly did something generous without any hidden intent, something that I've seldom experience in life, let alone online!

To make this short, for no reason at all, he gifted me 3200 points. This might be throw away for some, however in my region 1600 points = R343 = US$52.
This is in no means a small gift.

Again, thank you Crunched! Now I can finally experience Shadow Complex and ITSP!
(Guess this part is compulsory 'Crunched, you are a gentleman and a scholar!')

A true gentleman

Red

Jimmy Stav said:
Anyone? I'd hate to go for 100% only to realize that I missed something here.
I just double checked. There's nothing you can miss on the home planet. All artifacts are on the shadow planet itself.

Finally got my last one. Thought I already had it... must have floated right on past it initially.

Kind of weird seeing my map completion in the top hundred on the leaderboards, when my game completion is 600-something.

Twinduct, you enjoy it. Just pass on a favor to someone else when you get the chance.

Crunched said:
I just double checked. There's nothing you can miss on the home planet. All artifacts are on the shadow planet itself.

Finally got my last one. Thought I already had it... must have floated right on past it initially.

Kind of weird seeing my map completion in the top hundred on the leaderboards, when my game completion is 600-something.

Twinduct, you enjoy it. Just pass on a favor to someone else when you get the chance.

Thank you.

I think getting 100% is going to be a pain in the ass. I have 23 of the 24 artifacts (
just got the one that's in the worm's mouth
), so I'm not sure how I'm going to go about figuring out which one I'm missing.

How do you get to that separated far left corner? EDIT: Found it.

EDIT: I'm looking for anyone to get the Lantern Run achievements with, so add Jimmy Stav.

Gowans

Jimmy Stav said:
Lantern Run? Anyone? I'm finding it impossible with random players.
Bah I would have, that mode is a major surprise, I love it.

Really enjoying the game, the upgrades are making the difference for me.

Gowans007 said:
Bah I would have, that mode is a major surprise, I love it.

Really enjoying the game, the upgrades are making the difference for me.

Err, I'll be around most of the day. Add Jimmy Stav if you're interested.

TheOddOne

Have not tried that mode yet, but if your going for the achievements I would gladly accompany you.

P.S. I have no mic though :(

TheOddOne said:
Have not tried that mode yet, but if your going for the achievements I would gladly accompany you.

P.S. I have no mic though :(

I don't either. But I'll say beforehand that I find it best to let the person without a lantern to take point instead of rushing forward. You'll get the hang of it. Add me.

Knuckleruckamus

Neo Member
So my roommate decided to get this and I've been watching/playing a bit, and I've got to say the aiming and weapon physics doesn't feel good to me at all. Lots of sliding, wonky precision and floatiness that, while possibly sensible given the game's setting, sure makes it more frustrating to play.

In the 4 years of development, they should've spent much more time on the controls/feel.

Another gripe would be the 8 (?) weapons but only four mappable slots. No D-pad, really?

burgerdog

Stuck at the beginning of the electrical zone. There's this yellow object that looks like a pill blocking my way. I can't use my new power because it lacks power. I bet the answer is going to be something extremely obvious that I just can't see.

This game was great; I loved the metroidvania-ness, the animation and the weapons. Only problems are: last 2 bosses are annoying, game is very linear and no background music. Well worth 15$.

Jaffaboy

burgerdog said:
Stuck at the beginning of the electrical zone. There's this yellow object that looks like a pill blocking my way. I can't use my new power because it lacks power. I bet the answer is going to be something extremely obvious that I just can't see.

You need to bring the lantern with you, the thing you can grab that is a big circle, with two smaller circles either side. You plug the lantern in, and then use your electricity to make big yellow thing blow up. You'll need the lantern throughout ;)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jaffaboy said:
You need to bring the lantern with you, the thing you can grab that is a big circle, with two smaller circles either side. You plug the lantern in, and then use your electricity to make big yellow thing blow up. You'll need the lantern throughout ;)

I experienced a glitch here where the lantern didn't spawn and I had to exit to the menu and reload my game :/

Top Bottom