• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinp

Banned
In the old days, we called this losing the game. All your units defeated you need to start over. :)

But seriously, it sounds like you made some errors, lost your forces and are now upset there's not a retry button? I don't know, reading the TA forums it does sound like you can just start the next mission with no pilots, skip it (failing it) and eventually your pilots will be back for duty?

There's no retry button, but there's a $.99 Get Out of Jail IAP. =p

I wish there was a real fail state instead.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There's no retry button, but there's a $.99 Get Out of Jail IAP. =p

I wish there was a real fail state instead.

You can skip missions, waiting for your pilots and planes to recover. You don't get any points on those days, and there is a point threshold you must pass when the campaign is over to move onto the next part.

If you don't have enough points when the 8 (I think) missions are over, the campaign is failed and you don't move on to the next phase.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Guess what I am hitting? and then it just goes back to the IAP select screen.

I'm trying to give them money and it's broken :/

I had the same problem. I solved it by going into the app store and entering my password. Then I loaded the game back up and the buying worked.

PittaGAF

Actually, playing Warhammer Quest till impossibile hours :p, I was a bit out of the loop...so I needed something when away from my iPad (where WHQ still rules).
I was torn between Eclipse and Star Command, wanting somethin sci fi...being Eclipse iPad only and wanting a ligther experience...I went for Star Command for now.

Despite all the horror stories I've read, I must say I'm having a lot of fun now that I got some firm grasp on the 'rules' (those damn NEED AMMO messages!!!) and expecially after I started upgrading my crew.
I've read there are many exploits you can take advantage of, but I'm playing as Kirk or Picard would do.
I must say I was very very sad when a torpedo breached my hull and Tasha, my levelled up security officier was ejected in deep space :(

Nice little game to play between massive WHQ playthrough....I can see a lot of potential here.

colinp

Banned
You can skip missions, waiting for your pilots and planes to recover. You don't get any points on those days, and there is a point threshold you must pass when the campaign is over to move onto the next part.

If you don't have enough points when the 8 (I think) missions are over, the campaign is failed and you don't move on to the next phase.

It's 6, but the point of skipping missions is still to encourage you to buy the IAP.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
It's 6, but the point of skipping missions is still to encourage you to buy the IAP.

I dunno, I feel like the game is actually balanced towards the risk-reward of obligating and completing harder missions to put you in a better place in case you have to skip a mission down the road.

The IAP really seems like a cheat. Although I don't like the fishy thing where once you buy the hospital, it permanently reduces injury recover time by one day for every game after buying. Is the game balanced towards a five day or four day recovery time?

Hofmann

Aliceffekt (Hiversaires among many others) is working on a new game called Melady Antres - it should be released on july 1st.

meladyantres.jpg

Double D

Aliceffekt (Hiversaires among many others) is working on a new game called Melady Antres - it should be released on july 1st.

This time sync stuff sounds neat but it's not for me. It's the reason I never finished Sworcery. Instead it should be location based and know when I'm in a bathroom.

colinp

Banned
I dunno, I feel like the game is actually balanced towards the risk-reward of obligating and completing harder missions to put you in a better place in case you have to skip a mission down the road.

The IAP really seems like a cheat. Although I don't like the fishy thing where once you buy the hospital, it permanently reduces injury recover time by one day for every game after buying. Is the game balanced towards a five day or four day recovery time?

Maybe two day after you've bought all three hospitals?

I agree it is generally well balanced. Am I correct there is no great incentive to buy the campaign triple pack? It's just new planes and pilots but not new missions, in fact it's the same campaign...? The wording is pretty bizarre.

Hofmann

This time sync stuff sounds neat but it's not for me. It's the reason I never finished Sworcery. Instead it should be location based and know when I'm in a bathroom.

Lol, but in S&S you could change the time of a day
in one of the caves
, at least in PC version of the game.

big_z

If you redownload an app on a new device will you still have any in app purchases or are they lost? For instance extra purchased songs in robot unicorn attack 2.

Anilones

I know apps can be redownloaded on a new device since they're tied to your account but do in app purchases remain or are they lost? For instance extra purchased songs in robot unicorn attack 2.

'Permanent' IAPs are account based so should not require a second purchase (I assume that RUA2 songs would be this type). Disposable IAPs cannot be redownloaded.

MasLegio

Banned
If you redownload an app on a new device will you still have any in app purchases or are they lost? For instance extra purchased songs in robot unicorn attack 2.

there usually is an option in the game/app to reactivate previously purchased content

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
House of the Dead: Overkill, Crazy Taxi, Ascendancy (again) and Sky Gamblers are all on sale at the moment.

In the old days, we called this losing the game. All your units defeated you need to start over. :)
Condescension aside, I'm fine with the old days. I grew up in the old days (the likes of Strategic Simulations, Inc. on the C64) but in the old days, there was a game over, not some bullshit "pay to keep playing" option in a game like this.

But seriously, it sounds like you made some errors, lost your forces and are now upset there's not a retry button? I don't know, reading the TA forums it does sound like you can just start the next mission with no pilots, skip it (failing it) and eventually your pilots will be back for duty?
Yep, made some mistakes. I don't want a retry button. There should be some form of punishment that doesn't revolve about trying to leverage more money. That's my issue. Gimme a "Game Over", fine. Gimme a points deduction, fine. Lock me out of content I've already paid for unless I pay for "healing" IAPs. That's some bullshit right there.

Vince51

Neo Member
Lol, but in S&S you could change the time of a day
in one of the caves
, at least in PC version of the game.

It's in iOS version too, but it returns to the current time when you switch apps or go to Home.

Much easier to just change the Date/Time in Settings.

ToxicAdam

Condescension aside, I'm fine with the old days. I grew up in the old days (the likes of Strategic Simulations, Inc. on the C64) but in the old days, there was a game over, not some bullshit "pay to keep playing" option in a game like this.

Yep, made some mistakes. I don't want a retry button. There should be some form of punishment that doesn't revolve about trying to leverage more money. That's my issue. Gimme a "Game Over", fine. Gimme a points deduction, fine. Lock me out of content I've already paid for unless I pay for "healing" IAPs. That's some bullshit right there.

Is it really any different than inserting a quarter in an arcade machine to continue where you left off? How many times in your life have you done that?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

The punishment is that you end up having to skip missions in the campaign until your pilots recover. If you messed up big enough, that may mean you end up losing the campaign and have to start over. I don't see how you're missing out on content or being forced to purchase cheats or anything - you take your lumps and hope to recover as best you can if possible, otherwise you start over. I don't see how it's any different from old style flight sim games with dynamic campaigns where if your pilot is injured and out of action, you're also forced to wait and miss out on some missions until you're better, sometimes making it very difficult or impossible to recover in some cases.

Minsc

Gold Member

Yeah, cheap shots aside, I am curious about how they handled it. There's no consumable IAP in the game right? So the hospital or whatever IAP functions more akin to a pay to unlock easier difficulty settings, where the hardest difficulty (no hospitals) = 5 turns recovery, hard (1 hospital) = 4 turns to recover, normal (2 hospitals) = 3 turns, and easy (all three hospitals) = 2 turns.

I dunno, if the hospitals are permanent, and you can't pay to restore a soldier's status every single time they are destroyed, it doesn't sound abusive to me. The down times are in there as a risk/reward factor, as mentioned above and even with all the IAP, it sounds like they can't be eliminated altogether.

If anything I am getting the impression there's a lack of proper explanation and poor presentation, with the way people are getting confused about the extra campaigns being dupes of the original, and the confusion about even purchasing the IAPs for the game.

deim0s

Can you force yourself not taking a mission? 3 pilots are down for repairs, and I don't want to let my pilot face a squadron for a cleanup mission.

XiaNaphryz

Can you force yourself not taking a mission? 3 pilots are down for repairs, and I don't want to let my pilot face a squadron for a cleanup mission.

Not sure, but in this case you can just immediately turn your ace around back towards your base and retreat once the mission starts. Just as long as you're okay with the poor mission score.

Is it really any different than inserting a quarter in an arcade machine to continue where you left off? How many times in your life have you done that?
Ace Patrol isn't an arcade game and an iPad, isn't an arcade.

Besides, just cos something was that way in the old days, that don't make it right today.

PFD

Yeah, cheap shots aside, I am curious about how they handled it. There's no consumable IAP in the game right? So the hospital or whatever IAP functions more akin to a pay to unlock easier difficulty settings, where the hardest difficulty (no hospitals) = 5 turns recovery, hard (1 hospital) = 4 turns to recover, normal (2 hospitals) = 3 turns, and easy (all three hospitals) = 2 turns.

That's correct, they are not consumable, and the funny thing is they don't even let you buy them if you have no injured pilot.

PittaGAF

There are 3 methods to go past that part, only one requires the 'time sync'.

You can go in the cave and control in game time from there.
You can wait till the moon is like you want.
You can change the hour of the iPhone (the game mention you are a cheater doing so, but works)

chris121580

There are 3 methods to go past that part, only one requires the 'time sync'.

You can go in the cave and control in game time from there.
You can wait till the moon is like you want.
You can change the hour of the iPhone (the game mention you are a cheater doing so, but works)

And make sure it's the full full moon. There is one that looks close to it that is incorrect. I got fooled by it for way too long

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I dunno, if the hospitals are permanent, and you can't pay to restore a soldier's status every single time they are destroyed, it doesn't sound abusive to me. The down times are in there as a risk/reward factor, as mentioned above and even with all the IAP, it sounds like they can't be eliminated altogether.

If anything I am getting the impression there's a lack of proper explanation and poor presentation, with the way people are getting confused about the extra campaigns being dupes of the original, and the confusion about even purchasing the IAPs for the game.
Are the campaigns different? Someone in the other thread claimed otherwise

DodgerSan

So we all love Ace Patrol (mostly, barring a few niggles).

But did anyone check out Leviathan Warships yet? It seems to have dropped off the radar, and I'm curious to see what IosGAF thinks.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

But did anyone check out Leviathan Warships yet? It seems to have dropped off the radar, and I'm curious to see what IosGAF thinks.

People on TA said it was still buggy as hell.

XiaNaphryz

People on TA said it was still buggy as hell.

It's a Paradox release, generally it takes a couple patches for most of their products to stabilize. Unless the issues are mainly with the iOS version, in which case it's likely just a poor port job.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Yeah I got it a few days ago, been playing it a bit. Ace Patrol is probably gonna overshadow it but I dug what I did get through.

What are some good, mindless games to play while listening to podcasts? I've been playing Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Jet Pack Joyride, and the Stickman Golf games.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What are some good, mindless games to play while listening to podcasts? I've been playing Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Jet Pack Joyride, and the Stickman Golf games.

Zuma's Revenge, dawg. It's a PopCap action/puzzle game, not much else needs to be said. It's one of my go-to games when I'm listening to music.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zumas-revenge!/id501499260?mt=8

If you want something more passive, try Fairway Solitaire, Doptrix or Dungeon Raid.

Double D

As part of my point-n-click quest I played through McPixel (all gags found) and Kaptain Brawe. McPixel didn't exactly fit the bill as an adventure game, but it was very fun and clever. The bonus levels were especially neat.

Kaptain Brawe was pretty good. No voice acting, which I've come to really appreciate in these adventure games, but I've got a good imagination so it wasn't too much of a loss. I had some issues with the game around the middle, specifically in the cave. Not bugs, just issues with the game itself.

I had chosen to play on casual mode (basically just enables the optional hint system), using the hints only when I was desperate. For those who haven't played it, it's a hint system where you keep clicking and it gives you additional hints until the solution is basically spelled out for you. The problem here is that they did nothing. The game is trying to spoon feed the solution to me, but is essentially smearing the food all around my mouth. It's hard to explain if you haven't played it, but when you are trying to use an item on an object in the world (in these quirky instances), it just gives you the message saying, "that's a dumb idea" or something to that effect. In actuality I had to use that same object on a different part of that object. I'm specifically talking about the workstation and the press if you've played it.

Anyways, I did have a couple issues in other areas, but for the most part the rest of the game was fairly sensible. I would recommend it if you're interested in a humorous cartoon-style adventure.

For the next game I really want to play either Simon the Sorcerer or Flight of the Amazon Queen (never played either), but the reviews indicate that they are just shitty ports. Anyone have first hand experience with the iOS versions?

zigg

Robot Unicorn Attack 2 has an update that should address issues some of you have come up against and improve performance.
Thanks, it has been. Regrettably, it has not improved my performance much... ;)

Turning the music off in Robot Unicorn Attack and hearing the unicorn gallop across that strange alien land is a majestic experience.
I just tried this and it is kinda cool. I should try some ambient stuff next…

Impossible Road is the best score attack game in ages. It just takes a long while to get a handle on it.
Your opinion contradicts so many others here. What makes it work? I've been holding off because I don't have more iTunes credit yet, and I thought I'd dodged a bullet—convince me otherwise.

Anyone have any general tips for scoring high in RUA2? My challenges right now are Dash 13 Giants in a single wish and Score 175k over three wishes. I think my highest score is in the 90k range and I've only dashed 6 giants in a single wish. So, basically, I'm not even close to either of these challenges!

What are your preferred combos of unicorns, customization, and boosts? Maybe I just suck hard at this game, but I feel like I'm missing something....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom