• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

Random quests confirmed...

jizz-in-my-pants.gif

zigg

Anyone have any general tips for scoring high in RUA2? My challenges right now are Dash 13 Giants in a single wish and Score 175k over three wishes. I think my highest score is in the 90k range and I've only dashed 6 giants in a single wish. So, basically, I'm not even close to either of these challenges!

What are your preferred combos of unicorns, customization, and boosts? Maybe I just suck hard at this game, but I feel like I'm missing something....
I know what you mean. I've barely managed 105k, and felt pretty thrilled when I broke 15 giants over three wishes. Past 30k or so, the platforms just get crazy—too many things to bang your head on, etc.

I've been avoiding boosts (maybe I should look, but ugh! they cost so much, and hurt my pride besides) and I use UV N-7 with all the matching bits. I do slightly better without wings, I've found. Flying is just all kinds of fucked up. I've never even really determined if flying is infinite or not; I never live that long. Quintuple-jumping seems to work better for me.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
What are some good, mindless games to play while listening to podcasts? I've been playing Temple Run, Fruit Ninja, Jet Pack Joyride, and the Stickman Golf games.

Drop 7 or Eighty-Eight, one or the other has been my go to.
Both are similar enough to each other, just small differences to what people prefer. Enough to get invested in, but not hectic at all as a puzzle as nothing happens until you make a move. Drop 7 has the free version to try out in the link.

Dungeon Story.
A match 3 or more puzzle game in a RPG monster fighting set-up. Another passive, as fast or slow as you want game, while having a sense of improving a character. Not that much thought or planning required.

If you want more runners, Punch Quest, and Jaws Revenge.

Your opinion contradicts so many others here. What makes it work? I've been holding off because I don't have more iTunes credit yet, and I thought I'd dodged a bullet—convince me otherwise.

The controls feel inadequate at first, but they're actually perfect. It's just a super challenging game. I've played about 5 hours of it, and I'm starting to get good. Here's a high level play vid by Jason Killingsworth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbbPLyFf2Tw

Why isn't Wario playing this?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I know what you mean. I've barely managed 105k, and felt pretty thrilled when I broke 15 giants over three wishes. Past 30k or so, the platforms just get crazy—too many things to bang your head on, etc.

I've been avoiding boosts (maybe I should look, but ugh! they cost so much, and hurt my pride besides) and I use UV N-7 with all the matching bits. I do slightly better without wings, I've found. Flying is just all kinds of fucked up. I've never even really determined if flying is infinite or not; I never live that long. Quintuple-jumping seems to work better for me.
Flying is infinite once you reach it. I struggle to not hit 200k a wish now. I'm not sure how but I just don't die, it's a bit strange. Could go forever except I get bored and deliberately crash to end my runs. I'm solely playing it now to grind my last two achievements (1k hoops and 10k tears).

zigg

Flying is infinite once you reach it. I struggle to not hit 200k a wish now. I'm not sure how but I just don't die, it's a bit strange. Could go forever except I get bored and deliberately crash to end my runs. I'm solely playing it now to grind my last two achievements (1k hoops and 10k tears).
Are you using a slower-moving unicorn?

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
iPad mini > iPod 5g, unless you wanna, y'know, listen to music and stuff.

Yeah, I was tossing up which to buy, but I often use the iPod to listen to music on the train to work, and it fits in my pocket so I went with that (I am one of the few that doesnt actually have a smart phone). I've got a regular iPad for home though.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to point out some sales for some great games, because half the job of an iOS gamer is proselytizing.

Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders $4.99 -> $0.99 (Highly regarded and beautiful WWII dogfighting sim)
Crazy Taxi $4.99 -> $0.99 (Classic arcade game that actually controls really well on the iPhone)
Totems $1.99 -> $0.99 (Think a super quick version of Risk in which you use animal totems to take over territory)
Fetch $4.99 -> $2.99 (Beautiful beautiful point and click adventure)
Crabitron $4.99 -> $1.99 (From the Tilt to Live devs in which you pinch your fingers to pinch the pincers of a giant space crab)
Defense of the Oasis $4.99 -> $2.99 (Minesweepers meets Civilization...Yeah, you heard me.)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
More impressions on HotD Overkill? Looks nice enough, but more than one IAP always make my bullshit alarm go off.
IAPs are the third episode and currency. Currency which is earned ingame (and can be used to unlock the third episode).

Danneee

IAPs are the third episode and currency. Currency which is earned ingame (and can be used to unlock the third episode).

Alright! Thanks!
But how are the controls? Seems like the control scheme I'd prefer is an unlockable (frenzy tap). Don't really want to control a crosshair in this.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Alright! Thanks!
But how are the controls? Seems like the control scheme I'd prefer is an unlockable (frenzy tap). Don't really want to control a crosshair in this.
Crosshairs work alright to me. Though I'm one of those people who used to play HotD 1-2 on PC with a keyboard. :p

zigg

UGH! I still can't do this. I've tried tuning my unicorn to slow it down a little, tried again with the flying, etc. I just keep smacking into the sides of platforms (or getting vaporized by a giant because I see that if I dash, I will smack into the side of a platform.) Presumably I could have time to deal with these, but I just don't seem to be able to make the requisite course corrections in the time between their appearance on the right edge of the screen and the time of impact.

I suck. ;)

I'm using the UV N-7 etc. models for everything except the horn, which is the Chronoscopic Spike.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I've been staying away from using wings because I feel like the change in controls messes me up, but it seems like I just need to embrace the change an practice flying

krYlon

This may already have been posted, but Sir Benfro's Brilliant Balloon and Zach Gage's Halcyon are both free at the moment and they're both fantastic.

PFD

Man, this thread has been dead for the past couple days.

So, what's everyone's favorite iOS games from 2013 been so far? Mine would have to be Badland, Sorcery! and Heroes & Castles. I haven't played Block Fortress yet, but I'm probably gonna like it as well given all the positive feedback I've seen.

I'm also gonna play a bunch of meaty games this week. Eclipse, Talisman, and Ace Patrol, which I'm sure I'll enjoy as well.

And I'm looking forward to Frozen Synapse, XCOM, Warhammer, and BG2 later on. All in all, this is shaping up to be a great year for iOS.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I've been playing Carmageddon as well (first time) and I agree that the controls are absolutely awful. After 5 minutes I feel like throwing my phone against the wall.

Dabanton

Wait...what? Is iOS getting a version of XCOM?

Yep and I'm salivating. It's a damm shame Ubi never moved forward with bringing Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars to iOS you would have thought it would be no brainer.

I was reading that Ubi wanted to turn it into an IAP game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yep sure is. Same as console version too. Heard they may reduce the maps count though due to size of file. Other than that all the same. Simply can't wait. Awesome indeed.

I haven't been following ios gaming news too closely but that really is awesome. I didn't have much time to get into the PC game even though I really liked it, but on my ipad forget about it.

I still insist that Impossible Road is THE game right now. Maybe all the arcade twitch people are gone now, but back in the mega-thread days this game would have been obsessed over. I've probably sunk 10 hours into it by now and just finally broke 100. It's basically two games: 1. Try to stay on the road. 2. Try to bounce back onto the road. Both require a lot of finesse. I'd take this over Super Hexagon at this point.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Yep sure is. Same as console version too. Heard they may reduce the maps count though due to size of file. Other than that all the same. Simply can't wait. Awesome indeed.

Game changer. That's great news. After a quick dig, my concerns over IAPs appear to be quashed as well. If they put the full game up for ~$20 with a quality conversion, I'll start taking the platform more seriously. I'm a huge fan of TBS and the platform is perfectly suited towards it.

More of this please devs/publishers.

Hi, is there a seperate thread for The simpsons tapped out? And if not, should i create one. And if not.. is anyone else playing it that wants to share some eggs?

Foob

I still insist that Impossible Road is THE game right now. Maybe all the arcade twitch people are gone now, but back in the mega-thread days this game would have been obsessed over. I've probably sunk 10 hours into it by now and just finally broke 100. It's basically two games: 1. Try to stay on the road. 2. Try to bounce back onto the road. Both require a lot of finesse. I'd take this over Super Hexagon at this point.

ya, i really suck at this game but can't stop playing either

Flunkie

Banned

You're tempting me. Edit: bought Edit 2: frustrating. should be easier to hop back on down the road after falling. Edit 3: game is awesome, can't stop playing... but the game's physics, especially when rounding corners, is unpredictable. frustrating Edit whatever: also when falling it's realllllly hard to judge where you're going to land because the ball covers it up..

Ace Patrol is fun.

I just tried Minigore 2 for the first time since getting it for free, and it's pretty fun. The "gore" part is pretty well-done. Satisfying shooting stuff.

Totems isn't even worth $.99. I got a free code and played one game and deleted it. It's an okay concept but it's just so simple and boring that you could play one game and see all the game has to offer.

DodgerSan

I would pay good money for an X-Wing miniatures game done in the style of Ace Patrol.

Actually it's a real shame Fantasy Flight haven't done more with iOS in general, because Elder Sign is great.

Zia

I really dislike it. It feels a bit like balancing an umbrella on your nose. It's not as intuitive and playable as something like Super Hexagon. Plus, there are a bunch of little aesthetic issues I have with it that I'm sure you and Jason don't give two shits about. I plan on coming back to it sometime this week, but so far, as both a huge Super Monkey Ball fan and top one-hundred Super Hexagon player, I'm not digging it.

PFD

Just finished Sorcery! App Stat says it took me 2h 27mins. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and really looking forward to part 2. I'm planning to do another playthrough at some point, as I saw many areas on the map that I hadn't visited.

I really dislike it. It feels a bit like balancing an umbrella on your nose. It's not as intuitive and playable as something like Super Hexagon. Plus, there are a bunch of little aesthetic issues I have with it that I'm sure you and Jason don't give two shits about. I plan on coming back to it sometime this week, but so far, as both a huge Super Monkey Ball fan and top one-hundred Super Hexagon player, I'm not digging it.

Ah, but imagine what it feels like when you suddenly "get" how to blance that umbrella on your nose.

Only aesthetic issue I have is the music, which stays off. Otherwise, it's monochromatic and entirely utilitarian. Hard to hate.

krYlon

Just finished Sorcery! App Stat says it took me 2h 27mins. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and really looking forward to part 2. I'm planning to do another playthrough at some point, as I saw many areas on the map that I hadn't visited.

If you want more objectives for multiple playthroughs, inkle posted these challenges on their website:

"If you’re looking for a bit more challenge, here’s a carrot – the current best number of Gold Pieces to finish with that we’ve heard of is 54. Can you do better? Also, have you managed to complete the game without fighting the Manticore at all? Have you saved the Plague Village? Have you found the jewel-studded collar, or the Borrinskin boots? Have you made it through the Black Lotus? And have you heard of Vik?"

Also, they said not to worry about overwriting your save:

"A quick note to all Sorcery! players – if you’ve finished already and are thinking of replaying, but are worried about your save game, we want to reassure you: in Part 2, you’ll be able to choose which of your save-games to continue, but you only need one cloud save spell to reference those saves (so there’s less to remember!)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom