• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.
is Xcom coming to both ipad AND iphone? I dont think its coming to android unfortunately so I would have to get it on my iphone but I will if it is.

Oh and I picked up bastion as it was on sale and its not gonna come out on my nexus 7 as far as I can tell so thought I might as well. Christ this game is good. the art style, music and narration are first rate and the gameplay works really well with classic controls. Didnt really like the whole tap to move and auto shoot thing so switched to classic straight away. Has a floating d-pad though which I can use just fine.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man, this thread has been dead for the past couple days.

So, what's everyone's favorite iOS games from 2013 been so far? Mine would have to be Badland, Sorcery! and Heroes & Castles. I haven't played Block Fortress yet, but I'm probably gonna like it as well given all the positive feedback I've seen.

I'm also gonna play a bunch of meaty games this week. Eclipse, Talisman, and Ace Patrol, which I'm sure I'll enjoy as well.

And I'm looking forward to Frozen Synapse, XCOM, Warhammer, and BG2 later on. All in all, this is shaping up to be a great year for iOS.

Probably Eighty Eight now, I spent hours on that over the weekend, along with Starbase Orion. This year's been very quiet for me so far though, I'd say that Ms Splosion Man is my favourite thing so far.

I'm hyped for the same stuff as you though. Gimme my RPGs and strategy games!!

dexterslu

I finally tried out the Simpsons Tapped Out this weekend. As someone who hasn't watched the Simpsons in years I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit.

Anyone looking for some friends? add me dexterslu

back from the dead again.

Stuff I've been playing the past few weeks:

Silver Noir

I'm usually pretty iffy about kemco stuff, but this one pressed the right buttons for me. Fun combo magic systems and cutsey anime art and sprites works well.

Blitz Brigade

Gameloft's new f2p shooter that combines some of TF2 and some of battlefield heroes (classes and loadouts are really similar to TF2, but gameplay and modes are more akin to a battlefield style game with vehicles and what not). For what it's worth, I quite enjoy it so far. I can already see horrible balanced stuff for paid users down the road, but its still quite fun and visually appealing. Do note that this is quite possibly the hardest fps game for the platform due to movement being quite fast (think somewhere between CoD and Quake 3), so you need some agile fingers. Worth a look.

Ninja Striker!

Quite possibly my favorite ios action game in a while. Brilliant controls and gameplay that really does make it feel like a nes action platformer, but impossible because the control mechanisms are all touch based. Feels super good chaining dashes together and the game gets quite hard later. Highly recommended.

Reese-015

WHY DIDNT NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT RAGNAROK VALKYRIE UPRISING

THIS IS LIEK RAGNAROK ONLINE
BUT ON MY PHONE

Srsly. This is pretty cool. A 2D Ragnarok-style MMO. All the menus and systems like the friends list and itemization and stats etc seem really well done. A bit of a shame that the in-game assets are a bit murky and low-res, looks like they were targeting pretty low-end iPhones and Android phones initially but still really neat. Really feels like playing good old Ragnarok. Guess I'll get tired of it quickly like the old Ragnarok as well but still.

Reese-015

Also, wtf @ Survivalcraft. While obviously a total Minecraft clone, this looks like an incredibly good Minecraft clone, even comparable to the desktop version of Minecraft in terms of features and how fleshed out it is. Looks polished. Might get it. Any impressions here? Toucharcade is going nuts about it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
WHY DIDNT NOBODY TELL ME ABOUT RAGNAROK VALKYRIE UPRISING

THIS IS LIEK RAGNAROK ONLINE
BUT ON MY PHONE

Srsly. This is pretty cool. A 2D Ragnarok-style MMO. All the menus and systems like the friends list and itemization and stats etc seem really well done. A bit of a shame that the in-game assets are a bit murky and low-res, looks like they were targeting pretty low-end iPhones and Android phones initially but still really neat. Really feels like playing good old Ragnarok. Guess I'll get tired of it quickly like the old Ragnarok as well but still.
Downloading this right now! I have a lot of not so good memories of my time with Ragnarok but I can't resist checking out a mobile version.

heringer

Also, wtf @ Survivalcraft. While obviously a total Minecraft clone, this looks like an incredibly good Minecraft clone, even comparable to the desktop version of Minecraft in terms of features and how fleshed out it is. Looks polished. Might get it. Any impressions here? Toucharcade is going nuts about it.

I haven't played much yet, but I like it so far. It has more features than Minecraft PE in terms of survival. You can even mount horses, camels, etc. Instead of creeps you will be fighting wild animals like bears and wolves. So far I can tell it's polished.

PFD

They advertise IAPs as a goddamn feature, lol

mzl.zwtvgixb.480x480-75.jpg

PFD

If you want more objectives for multiple playthroughs, inkle posted these challenges on their website:

"If you’re looking for a bit more challenge, here’s a carrot – the current best number of Gold Pieces to finish with that we’ve heard of is 54. Can you do better? Also, have you managed to complete the game without fighting the Manticore at all? Have you saved the Plague Village? Have you found the jewel-studded collar, or the Borrinskin boots? Have you made it through the Black Lotus? And have you heard of Vik?"

Well, shit. I don't think I've done any of these things, lol. And I finished with like 13 gold and my starting sword.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm liking Impossible Road (despite being HORRIBLE at it), but it needs a quick restart button. I go off the track so fast that waiting for the ball to drift into the abyss gets tedious. I need some friends who actually play it, though. Friend Leaderboards are empty :(.

Airport Scanner fills part of the mental space that Papers, Please does. Where Papers, Please sinks into the dreariness of the setting in its colors and droning soundtrack, Airport Scanner tries to disguise how disruptive and invasive security scanning can be through bright colors, loud graphics, and a single chipper tune. Where Airport Scanner doesn't quite fill the hole is that the consequences of failure are negligible. When I fail in Papers, Please, my family will starve and likely die. When I fail in Airport Scanner, it's a minor annoyance, and I can always replay the stage. And the folks in line waiting to be scanned don't present narrative twists like the travelers in Papers, Please. Unfortunately, that means Airport Scanner has less incentive for emotional investment.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Airport Scanner fills part of the mental space that Papers, Please does. Where Papers, Please sinks into the dreariness of the setting in its colors and droning soundtrack, Airport Scanner tries to disguise how disruptive and invasive security scanning can be through bright colors, loud graphics, and a single chipper tune. Where Airport Scanner doesn't quite fill the hole is that the consequences of failure are negligible. When I fail in Papers, Please, my family will starve and likely die. When I fail in Airport Scanner, it's a minor annoyance, and I can always replay the stage. And the folks in line waiting to be scanned don't present narrative twists like the travelers in Papers, Please. Unfortunately, that means Airport Scanner has less incentive for emotional investment.

What are you rambling on about, junior?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm really enjoying Impossible Road, it's tough but kind of similar to Super Hexagon

I like it better than Hexagon, I've been playing it on and off the last few days. My high score is a mere 31. I'm impressed people are scoring 100+, seems really hard to get that far.

I love it when you just hit the road as the screen is about to turn white. It's pretty tough to recover from a high bounce though. If you do succeed, it's very satisfying.

Eighty Eight is fun but it takes way too long to set a high score in hardcore mode. In Drop 7 it takes about 4 minutes. In Eighty Eight, you're looking at over an hour.

KingKong

I like it better than Hexagon, I've been playing it on and off the last few days. My high score is a mere 31. I'm impressed people are scoring 100+, seems really hard to get that far.

I love it when you just hit the road as the screen is about to turn white. It's pretty tough to recover from a high bounce though. If you do succeed, it's very satisfying.

yeah I got past 50, a lot of seems like luck (you get a good easy stretch of road and then a nice bounce to another good stretch).

What I really like about this and Super Hexagon and games like Canabalt is that they dont waste your time with boring easy beginnings like every other 'runner' type

guest1321

Hey guys quick question: I recall seeing a game a while ago on the featured page in the app store. It had a black icon with one or two blue zig zagging lines on it. I believe the game is also black and blue. My understanding of the premise was that you were walking around in a dark room and you would use sounds to navigate.

Any help with the name would be greatly appreciated. Also reviews/opinions/advice on buying is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys quick question: I recall seeing a game a while ago on the featured page in the app store. It had a black icon with one or two blue zig zagging lines on it. I believe the game is also black and blue. My understanding of the premise was that you were walking around in a dark room and you would use sounds to navigate.

Any help with the name would be greatly appreciated. Also reviews/opinions/advice on buying is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

The Nightjar.

sqwarlock

yeah I got past 50, a lot of seems like luck (you get a good easy stretch of road and then a nice bounce to another good stretch).

What I really like about this and Super Hexagon and games like Canabalt is that they dont waste your time with boring easy beginnings like every other 'runner' type

As someone that's wasted A LOT of time on the flash version of Canabalt, would you recommend the iOS version? $3 seems like a lot, but maybe I'm wrong.

KingKong

As someone that's wasted A LOT of time on the flash version of Canabalt, would you recommend the iOS version? $3 seems like a lot, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's basically the same thing so depends on if you'll play it a lot. I like it a lot especially because it doesn't have any coins to collect or quests to complete

PFD

The Nightjar as rogue said earlier, but I would get Papa Sangre instead. Same developer, but reviews seem to point to it as the better game.

LugNut74

Just wanted to chime in on Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy. What a superb job they did putting this on the IOS platform. I play a lot of board games and this title plays perfectly on the iPad. Highly recommended for board game junkies.

Also worth mentioning Space Command too. Really enjoying this game also.

putermcgee

If you want more objectives for multiple playthroughs, inkle posted these challenges on their website:

"If you’re looking for a bit more challenge, here’s a carrot – the current best number of Gold Pieces to finish with that we’ve heard of is 54. Can you do better? Also, have you managed to complete the game without fighting the Manticore at all? Have you saved the Plague Village? Have you found the jewel-studded collar, or the Borrinskin boots? Have you made it through the Black Lotus? And have you heard of Vik?"

Also, they said not to worry about overwriting your save:

"A quick note to all Sorcery! players – if you’ve finished already and are thinking of replaying, but are worried about your save game, we want to reassure you: in Part 2, you’ll be able to choose which of your save-games to continue, but you only need one cloud save spell to reference those saves (so there’s less to remember!)"
Well, that's a relief. I finished quite strong on my first play through, and didn't want to risk losing what I had if I wanted to check out other aspects of the game.

Tony from 8-4 said the books just get bigger and bigger as they go, so it seems like this one's more like an intro to the series. He said it's probably not worth playing again... but man, I feel like I should enjoy it some more while I wait for the next installment.

Speaking of the future releases, I have to say it's a bummer that they'll all be separate apps.

Out of the Fighting Fantasy series, I've only played the Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Are there any others that are must-see games? I'm kind of worried that Sorcery has spoiled me in that I won't want to play these older style games anymore. I couldn't put Sorcery down, but with the older FF games, I found it got a little boring just clicking "turn left" or "turn around" all the time while navigating the dungeons.

PFD

Battle of the Bulge just received an update. There's a new scenario, but it's a $3.99 IAP. There's also two new AI behaviors for $1.99 each.

Seems to be comparing this freemium iOS game: https://itunes.apple.com/app/airport-scanner/id486947533?mt=8

With the masterpiece-in-making that is Papers, Please for PC/Mac. http://youtu.be/_QP5X6fcukM

Indeed. Maybe one day we'll get Papers, Please on iOS, maybe we won't. But it's worth exploring other games that might be exploring the same space, or at least pieces of the same space. And Airport Scanner does have, on the surface, the same sense of exploring tedious governmental tasks in games. And, as I noted, while it translates the mechanics of airport scanning into a game like Papers, Please transforms identification checking at a border crossing into a game, it doesn't have the emotional attachment that Papers, Please has.

Zia

I've been really sick all weekend so I've played a lot of the third best puzzle game of all-time (behind Tetris and Panel de Pon), Drop7. It's the newest Zynga masterpiece and everyone should own it.

matt360

For those of you who have both an iPhone/iPod Touch and an iPad (not the mini), have you found a balance as far as which types of games you prefer on which device? When I first got my iPad 3, I was playing games on it like crazy, but now I find that I've mostly shifted back to my iPhone. Games like Magic the Gathering and Walking Dead are perfect for the big screen but I've recently tried playing Lego Batman and Harry Potter on my iPad and it just isn't working.

What are your preferences? Is there anything you were excited to play on a specific device only to find out it wasn't as good as you'd hoped? For example, I've found that basically:

-anything with a virtual d-pad plays better (for me personally) on iPhone
-board games, definitely iPad
-racing games, iPhone
-strategy and puzzle games, iPad

Seems like maybe I should pick up a mini in a couple years when I've gotten all I can out of my iPad 3. It should have retina by then I'd imagine.

Trin

The Nightjar as rogue said earlier, but I would get Papa Sangre instead. Same developer, but reviews seem to point to it as the better game.

Although I haven't played Papa Sangre yet, I thoroughly enjoyed The Nightjar (mostly owing to Benedict Cumberbatch's excellent voice acting). Unfortunately, my earbuds and headphones are super painful for my ears, so getting through to the end was a mild form of torture. Gotta invest in a non-cheapo pair that works with my iPad :(

While looking for a Professor Layton-esque game, I stumbled across Puzzle Agent HD. Looks pretty good! Would you guys recommend it?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Not gonna lie; I gave that Blitz Brigade game a try and liked it. Played for about 30 minutes and got to rank 5.

Looks and runs great on my iPod 5g.

Aaron

I find that Drop7 doesn't hold up to repeated play for long. The 1s are annoying, and due to the random nature, feel more like luck than skill. Even the preset combinations aren't very fun after a while. I have DropZap 2 for my drop puzzle needs.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I got it, you explore a space ship on the verge of being destroyed by a black hole, Benedict Cumberbatch does an excellent VO.

Headphones/surround sound is vital for this experience as you react to cues happening around you.

matt360

Star Command already has an update! A "Beginner's Mode", a bigger touch radius when picking up tokens, etc. Glad to see they are on top of things. I wanted to like this game more than I currently do, but I really think they're onto something with the formula they have.

krYlon

Well, that's a relief. I finished quite strong on my first play through, and didn't want to risk losing what I had if I wanted to check out other aspects of the game.

Tony from 8-4 said the books just get bigger and bigger as they go, so it seems like this one's more like an intro to the series. He said it's probably not worth playing again... but man, I feel like I should enjoy it some more while I wait for the next installment.

Speaking of the future releases, I have to say it's a bummer that they'll all be separate apps.

Out of the Fighting Fantasy series, I've only played the Warlock of Firetop Mountain. Are there any others that are must-see games? I'm kind of worried that Sorcery has spoiled me in that I won't want to play these older style games anymore. I couldn't put Sorcery down, but with the older FF games, I found it got a little boring just clicking "turn left" or "turn around" all the time while navigating the dungeons.

The next book, Khare, is slightly bigger, the third, The Seven Serpents is about the same size, however they will seem longer as they are not as non-linear as the first book I think. They are also harder.
The last book, Crown of Kings, is MASSIVE. I think bigger than the first three put together. And very difficult.

Thats as far as I remember anyway, dont quote me on it.

As far as other Fighting Fantasy books are concerned, are you talking about apps in particular, or are you interested in the books as well?
If you are only interested in apps then I fear you will have been spoiled by Sorcery. The other apps, particularly the Tin Man ones are quite basic straight-up conversions. And none of the source material is as good as the sorcery books in my opinion. House of Hell, also by Steve Jackson, is very good though and highly acclaimed.
I agree with you on Warlock, even the original is boring and unimaginative. It was the first one though, they were just getting warmed up, so dont judge the others on that.

There are some good non-Fighting Fantasy gamebook apps. Fabled Lands is a series that is seen as the pinnacle of fantasy gamebooks, and the conversion is well done and presented more as an rpg. Unfortunately only the first two books have been released and the gamebooks were made in a way that you needed all books to access all areas. You can still play it as a sandbox rpg but some places will be cut off.
I also recommend some of the other inkle apps like Frankenstein (which is adapted by one of the Fabled Lands writers Dave Morris) and New Voices (which is free). They are more interactive fiction than games, but very well written, compared to gamebooks anyway.
Judge Dredd by Tin Man Games, from what I played is pretty good as well.

Its a shame that the last guys lost their Fighting Fantasy license, because they did an app of THE Fighting Fantasy masterpiece, Creature of Havoc (again by Steve Jackson). But they had to take it down after losing the license.
You can always buy the actual book though!

checked out airport scanner because it was free. It is a teeny bit like papers, please, but not really. It's pretty fun though... and kinda weirdly dark if you think about how it seems like 60% of the passengers for an airplane has a crossbow, gun, bomb, or something illegal in their suitcase.

check it out when it's still free (or was it always free?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom