• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air 2 |OT| - Vibrating Sound, Not Magical but Revolutionary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played with one in the Apple store yesterday and it was enough to put me off. I thought a lot of the responses I saw online was just the usual hyperbolic nonsense but it really wasn't that nice to handle with the speakers only at half volume.

Lovely device otherwise.

I'll go try it in a store soon, hopefully it doesn't annoy me.

gimmmick

Purchased the smart case from the Apple Store this afternoon (midnight blue). Feels good, a bit pricey but I like it.

HylianTom

Banned
My 128GB LTE finally made it out of Korea. Arrival: tomorrow!

Streaming is painfully slow at work, so I'll be loading it up with LOTS of my favorite TV shows. The Twilight Zone, MST3k, Futurama, Little Britain.. we have a good amount of downtime at work where I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs, so the space will be much-appreciated.

Eusis

I had an Air 1 like a month before the air 2 released and returned it since I figured something better was coming. I dropped 750 on a 128 gig air one originally.

Ended up getting an air 2 128 for 679 plus tax due to a school discount. Really glad I returned the air one when I did.

Do any of you use screen protectors? I've always put screen protectors on my phones, and I did for my ipad 3 and my wife's ipad 2, but now I'm wondering if I should bother. The ipad doesn't ever get into a situation where it would be scratched. When it's not in use it has it's smart cover, and it's in a padded carrying pouch I own. Does anyone else use them? I've heard good things about tech armor's ballistic glass. I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks!
My mindset has been to only use them if it's something that's plastic, as the case is for 3DS and (as I recall) Vita. For your modern decent quality smartphone or tablet it's extraneous I'd think, even if it got scratched it'd be nearly impossible to see short of the sun shining down, and you might not be able to see the screen well period then anyway.

ruxtpin

Banned
Can't wait to pick up my 128gb Air 2 this weekend. Back home for 1 day before hitting the road again. Even though I love my MacBook Air (since Apple has roped me in to their ecosystem), I hate dragging both my Air and work PC around. Gonna' pack this thing with more movies, shows, games, and music than my sweet cheeks can handle. mhmm

So my Air 2 had its first crash yesterday. I was closing out of safari, opened up the youtube app, scrolled through my subs, clicked a video, screen froze, flash of white and blue screen, iPad restarted lol.

And the keyboard in safari started freezing for the first time as well.

Did the iPad actually restart completely our did you just see the Apple logo flash? I'm asking because this happened to me couple of times ibn my iPhone 6 Plus and it's actually just restarting the spring board thing but not the entire OS our device.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Mine has just been delivered \O/.
This is my first Apple device (apart from my old iPod Nano) so I'm very excited.

Certinty

My first iPad and I'm disappointed that:
- There isn't an option for 1 minute autolock
- With Touch ID on there isn't an option to keep the device unlocked for a period of time when inactive

Besides that, so far so good.

-Horizon-

Did the iPad actually restart completely our did you just see the Apple logo flash? I'm asking because this happened to me couple of times ibn my iPhone 6 Plus and it's actually just restarting the spring board thing but not the entire OS our device.

It just stopped working (I couldn't scroll or tap select anything), the screen flashed white/blue, the screen darkened, then it turned back on like I had just turned it off and then back on.
I don't know about this springboard thing but maybe it was that, idk *shrug*

Ambitious

Might have a hardware problem. Once in a while, the speakers make this annoying, loud popping noise. So far it happened three times in about twenty minutes, each time when I tapped on a textfield and the keyboard appeared.

I'm not the only one, people are discussing it on the Apple forums:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3

I had an Air 1 like a month before the air 2 released and returned it since I figured something better was coming. I dropped 750 on a 128 gig air one originally.

Ended up getting an air 2 128 for 679 plus tax due to a school discount. Really glad I returned the air one when I did.

Do any of you use screen protectors? I've always put screen protectors on my phones, and I did for my ipad 3 and my wife's ipad 2, but now I'm wondering if I should bother. The ipad doesn't ever get into a situation where it would be scratched. When it's not in use it has it's smart cover, and it's in a padded carrying pouch I own. Does anyone else use them? I've heard good things about tech armor's ballistic glass. I'd love to hear some thoughts.

Thanks!

I haven't been using any screen protectors the last few years either on the smartphones or the iPad. These things are built for them now and they've been quite scratch radiant to me personally.

Not to mention I like the feel of the bare screen tan with a scratch protector on it.

cjp

Might have a hardware problem. Once in a while, the speakers make this annoying, loud popping noise. So far it happened three times in about twenty minutes, each time when I tapped on a textfield and the keyboard appeared.

I'm not the only one, people are discussing it on the Apple forums:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3

I had an old laptop with a built in sub that used to do this. I can't remember the exact cause though.

In regards to the vibrating when paying sound, I just played a track at full volume on my iPad 2 and it does the exact same thing. I then tried my dad's Air (1) and it felt no different to my 2.

I'm interested in having a little hands on with the Air 2 to see just how apparently worse it is but I don't think it's something that annoys me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I had an old laptop with a built in sub that used to do this. I can't remember the exact cause though.

In regards to the vibrating when paying sound, I just played a track at full volume on my iPad 2 and it does the exact same thing. I then tried my dad's Air (1) and it felt no different to my 2.

I'm interested in having a little hands on with the Air 2 to see just how apparently worse it is but I don't think it's something that annoys me.

It's not even comparable. There's vibration, and then there's Apples patented new iRumble technology. Haptic feedback for music, games and video. Revolutionary!

Wallach

I'm still surprised by how fast it is. Gaming performance is a big step even over the Air.

Thermals seem to be struggling a little more than before. KotOR will cause the CPU area on the back to get pretty hot. I don't remember the Air ever getting quite to that temp.

HylianTom

Banned
Finally arrived this morning, but I'm unable to do anything with it until probably tomorrow.

I was able to take it out of the box and look at it for a moment. Coming from a 4, I'm realizing what an impressive size reduction it brings.

Tangeroo

I just upgraded to a 128GB Air 2 from an iPad 3 (seems to be a pretty common leap) and it's a world of difference to me. Also, going through my app purchase history to restore previous purchases... man, so many poor decisions.

HylianTom

Banned
I just upgraded to a 128GB Air 2 from an iPad 3 (seems to be a pretty common leap) and it's a world of difference to me. Also, going through my app purchase history to restore previous purchases... man, so many poor decisions.

Ha! Same here. At this point, my keep-to-reject ratio on apps is pretty pitiful.

I'm slowly realizing what a huge project this is going to be, converting and organizing everything. Yikes.

I'm wondering if I should cough up $550 for 64GB Air 2. I wanted to pay $525, which is $100 less than the price with education discount and tax.

I'm surprised the iPad 2 resale value held up very well. It's worth $200 after being in the market for 3 years and 7 months.

epmode

I just switched from an iPad 3. God, it's such a huge improvement. Very few Safari tab reloads, task switching is lighting fast, etc. Good purchase.

ss_lemonade

I just switched from an iPad 3. God, it's such a huge improvement. Very few Safari tab reloads, task switching is lighting fast, etc. Good purchase.
I moved up from an ipad 4 and so far, the improvement has been very noticeable. I can only imagine the upgrade from older models

Laekon

Finally got the chance to handle one of these today and I think I'll just hold onto my iPad 4. The thinness and weight are really impressive but the vibration makes it seem really cheap. It seems like they really reduced the thickness of the aluminum on the back to far. While the original Air also vibrates from any sound the Air 2 is really bad in my opinion.

HylianTom

Banned
Been playing with it (finally) this evening.

I can definitely see how the vibration would bother some. Not a deal-breaker for me, but if you're having any doubts, I'd highly suggest checking it out before buying. The maximum volume on this one seems to be a good bit higher coming from the 4. Thankfully, I haven't heard any sound defects, even when the pad is vibrating at higher volume.

Very very snappy. I've had an iPad 2, a 4, and now this one. In older models, it seemed like the more content I loaded onto the drive, the slower the iPad would get.. but no evidence of this whatsoever. I currently have about 100GB of music/tv/movies on this one, and it's still as fast as when it was near-empty. I'm not too demanding on Safari, usually keeping a maximum of 4 or 5 tabs open at any given time; thus far, I've had zero tab refresh instances, even on photo-heavy pages.

I had also read a report on an Apple forum about how some folks were getting iPads with screen defects, but I'm not seeing any evidence on the one I have. No dead pixels, no dark spots or distortions.

I'd avoid the 16GB model. Not much room for holding any photos, apps data, etc. I'm not really sure why they'd sell such a model; its longevity would be limited.

My first iPad and I'm disappointed that:
- There isn't an option for 1 minute autolock
- With Touch ID on there isn't an option to keep the device unlocked for a period of time when inactive

Besides that, so far so good.

Your second point has bothered me since the 5S launched with touch id. So much so that every once in a while I'll turn of Touch ID altogether because when you only use the passcode, you can set it to request the code at longer time intervals. I wish you could do that with Touch ID on.

I'm wondering if I should cough up $550 for 64GB Air 2. I wanted to pay $525, which is $100 less than the price with education discount and tax.

I'm surprised the iPad 2 resale value held up very well. It's worth $200 after being in the market for 3 years and 7 months.

I can't take it. Some guy is offering $400 for 16GB iPad Air 2. Should I get his?

I prefer the 64GB mode.

16gb isn't enough for me, but it's going to vary from person to person depending on your usage.

16GB buyers should be wary, it only has 11GB of space the minute you turn it on, it fills up really fast with few apps.

I found a 128 iPad Air 2 LTE for $710! That's more than $150 off compared to the price with the student discount: $876.72.

I'm going to meet him nearby college to pick it up.

Guess Who

Banned
Your second point has bothered me since the 5S launched with touch id. So much so that every once in a while I'll turn of Touch ID altogether because when you only use the passcode, you can set it to request the code at longer time intervals. I wish you could do that with Touch ID on.

Honestly I find using Touch ID faster than not having a passcode most of the time. Don't even have to slide to unlock.

So guys, what's the overall opinion on Air 2? I am looking to buy a new tablet to replace my old and slow Galaxy Tab 2. There is nothing appealing in Android world as of now. I am using the tablet mainly for surfing and reading. Air 2's issues with vibration and image distorsion aren't helping. Are they exaggerated?
I can get Air 1 for 370€ and Air 2 for 470€, is Air 2 worth 100€ more?

kharma45

So guys, what's the overall opinion on Air 2? I am looking to buy a new tablet to replace my old and slow Galaxy Tab 2. There is nothing appealing in Android world as of now. I am using the tablet mainly for surfing and reading. Air 2's issues with vibration and image distorsion aren't helping. Are they exaggerated?

Vibrations aren't, well, not for me at least. Sort of thing I really recommend going to a store and trying for yourself.

Laekon

I don't think the vibration issue is exaggerated. I found it to be to much as it just made me think it was really cheap.

The Nexus 9 is available now in the US and should be elsewhere. Lighter then the Air 2 but thicker.

Meh3D

I bought the iPad Air 2 (WiFi, 128GB)

So far I have felt minor vibrations playing back a video from my Halloween 2014 outing. I honestly never noticed any vibrations on the first iPad Air. But that may have been because the only time I turn the volume up is because I'm set the iPad Air away somewhere playing music as I do something else. I felt some vibrations as I turned the volume up on the iPad Air 2. Moreover, I don't think I care about it nor would I bring it up either had it not been for reading forum post on the issue. Could probably be just not be as severe as others.

One thing I do know is that my iPad Air 2 crashed and I could not get it back on. I thought it was dead. When I first opened the device I attempted to restore my recent backup from the iPad Air before it. After the restore was finished the device just went black and would not turn on. After many attempts to reset and safely boot the device by holding down the power button and home button it finally turned on. The iPad seemed to be working now though all my apps were missing. I did a full reset and just set it up as a new device.

So far it's alright. I was happy with my iPad Air however the apple care on the iPad 4 that I had given my mother was set to expire on February 2015. So I took advantage of the best buy deal. Though the plan was to buy her the new mini and keep mine. She preferred the bigger screen so I just gave her mine and bought the iPad Air 2. I prefer the longer battery of the Air, moreover my Air was not slow and so far this iPad Air 2 doesn't really do anything faster for what I use it for. Except it doesn't do that annoying refresh when I switch apps.

I'm truly fascinated about how people use their Ipads. Many people use them so differently.

I have an Air 1, and I have been using it for reading, browsing the web, and basically to do things that taxes my iphone and macbook less.

It's really weird. I love the icloud sync everything, but my I am beginning to feel now that there are things I just dont do on some of the devices. for example, I have no music to put my music on my Ipad, so I am struggling with how to make me only get a few tracks on it for the rare times I will be using it. On the other hand I dont need it auto-downloading all my iphone photos that I just basically take pictures off to remember stuff. and I dont use mail on my iphone either, and the ipad apps I download auto-download on the iphone.

I think this will be less annoying once I upgrade my iphone 4s. Every since the 8.1 update I can feel the slowness. I just did a complete reinstall and it runs better but I can feel it. the home button and lock buttons are worn down, the battery is beginning to drain faster and I find it more difficult to type on (slower ). a bigger screen would make the apps from ipad more useable. I just need to figure out how to hell to do this. Itunes have been updated so many times I have kinda tuned out (hu hu.. ) of figuring out how to deal with the disparity in content.

imessage is also giving me problems across devices, and it feels crazy getting facebook updates on both devices at the same time (and macbook) - three devices that beep at the same time. its kinda cool but also an overload.

Dead

well not really...yet
Played with one today and was shocked that vibration gate was actually a real thing.

Im sort of shocked that Apple would accept this sort of thing. It's a huge distraction, and even at mid level volume it was rocking the entire tablet. Very shocked at how bad it is...

defiant04

Banned
This is so much faster than my old ipad 4 but the speaker is so bad. Why aren't reviewers talking about the bad speakers?

I got my iPad 2 Air 128GB with LTE for $710! I'm going to post an ad for $829 to see if anyone is interested and I don't need LTE.

Vyer

Loving this so far. Really appreciate the screen improvements and though it's not quite as useful as it is on the phone it's still nice to have TouchID.

I also decided to use a Smart Cover for the first time. It's pretty nice. I'm kinda fascinated by how it attaches and functions as I've never used one til now. I was planning on using my case I ordered from Amazon in combination with it but honestly I might just go with the cover only unless traveling.

Also the black Smart Cover looks pretty nice with the gold.

Deals kept getting better. I sold my 128 LTE iPad Air 2 for $760 and....

I bought another iPad Air 2 16GB WiFi for $380!!! Deal keeps getting better. :)

Tangeroo

Deals kept getting better. I sold my 128 LTE iPad Air 2 for $760 and....

I bought another iPad Air 2 16GB WiFi for $380!!! Deal keeps getting better. :)

You actually going to keep one or are you going to keep flipping them for profits? Because I'm pretty sure this thread is for one and not the other.

You actually going to keep one or are you going to keep flipping them for profits? Because I'm pretty sure this thread is for one and not the other.

I wanted to get one for my mom. I'm pretty sure she won't need 128GB and Cellular. The last iPad she had was the new iPad(2012) which was over 2 years ago and her brother bought it from her. It was good that I made $50 from the 128GB Cellular model.

Loving this so far. Really appreciate the screen improvements and though it's not quite as useful as it is on the phone it's still nice to have TouchID.

I also decided to use a Smart Cover for the first time. It's pretty nice. I'm kinda fascinated by how it attaches and functions as I've never used one til now. I was planning on using my case I ordered from Amazon in combination with it but honestly I might just go with the cover only unless traveling.

Also the black Smart Cover looks pretty nice with the gold.

Did you get the cover only or full case which covers the back also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom