• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new Radiohead album imminent? - form new company similar to prior releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Its a history lesson.

In ancient Roman times if you wanted to tell someone to eat shit but didn't hate them enough to kill them you'd send them a gif of birds chirping.

Yeah, if they somehow drag this shit out till next week they've lost at least one customer unless the price of the new album is exactly $free

5Kg7Y04.jpg

SamVimes

That music sounds pretty good. I don't keep up with unreleased material so I don't know if it's a song that is already known.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Only listening once, I don't want to experience uneven wear on the album BUT OH MY GOD THOSE STRINGS WERE SIIIIIIIIIIIICKKJJK

Servbot24

Banned
I hope that clip isn't actually the new music... I know it's just a couple seconds but it sounds like super basic indie junk.

I hope that clip isn't actually the new music... I know it's just a couple seconds but it sounds like super basic indie junk.

I have absolutely no idea how you can tell what it sounds like - beyond it being ominous strings - based on that clip. Super basic indie junk? Jesus.

Oreoleo

I like that it sounds very organic and not over-produced junk like TKOL.

That animation is wonderful too. Arguably more excited for the video than I am the album.

jdw_b

Okay

Excited for this, I'm expecting some sort of big climax after that build up but knowing Radiohead it could transition into anything...Trans-Atlantic Drawl has taught me that

I like that it sounds very organic and not over-produced junk like TKOL.

That animation is wonderful too. Arguably more excited for the video than I am the album.

TKOL is the only modern Radiohead album that I just don't like at all, so if this is nothing like it, good.

Servbot24

Banned
Ahhhh yes, the tired indie band with an orchestra cliche
Yeah? A million bands use strings to decorate their swelling guitar chords.

And I'm quite sure the song will be very different than that, but they gave us a clip so I'm commenting on the clip.

eXtv

Banned
Although I'm not into the clip, the thought of Jonny having more input is very exciting.

Jonny literally wrote the software TKOL was constructed with he's always been nearly as powerful as Thom in the group for better and for worse, he has the reputation as the guitars + orchestras guy but he's really a lot more

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
How to Disappear is almost entirely without equal in that dpmt

Absolutely. It's in a really tasteful Penderecki style that manages to completely avoid the whole Eleanor Rigby cliche that most bands fall back on.

Although I'm not into the clip, the thought of Jonny having more input is very exciting.

All I Need is lush too. The story behind that arrangement is pretty cool:

New York Times December 9, 2007: Jonny Greenwood said that for this song, he wanted to recapture the white noise generated by a band playing loudly in a room, when “all this chaos kicks up.” In an artificial studio setting he found it impossible to generate such a sound so his solution was to use a string section, and his own overdubbed violas, sustaining every note of the scale, blanketing the frequencies.

Love it. Apparently, he's always telling Thom to add in 'wrong notes'. Plus, I think on a live take of one of the newer songs, Thom mumbles something about 'This is Jonny's bit', so I reckon he definitely has a lot of sway.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Yeah? A million bands use strings to decorate their swelling guitar chords.

And I'm quite sure the song will be very different than that, but they gave us a clip so I'm commenting on the clip.

Bands and strings, yes. But I said indies and orchestras.

Unsigned artists don't typically have access to orchestras due to the associated costs. I'm not talking about a violin and cello, I'm talking about a Greenwood sized orchestra.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That clip sounds like their playing col legno... or summink. That's fairly atypical.

Unsigned artists don't typically have access to orchestras due to the associated costs. I'm not talking about a violin and cello, I'm talking about a Greenwood sized orchestra.

How big is a typical Greenwood orchestra?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Can you explain what this means instead of just casually dropping lingo that a majority of this thread is unfamiliar with?

Percussive string play, but I don't find it atypical for Greenwood, his movie soundtracks are loaded with this stuff

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Can you explain what this means instead of just casually dropping lingo that a majority of this thread is unfamiliar with?

Are you always this passive-aggressive? :D It's hitting the strings with the back of the bow. Like the Mars section of Holst's The Planets Suite.

Also: Google. ;)

He was the BBC's director of classical music a while back, so full size (64 piece?) wouldn't surprise me these days.

Christ. I didn't know that.

Percussive string play, but I don't find it atypical for Greenwood, his movie soundtracks are loaded with this stuff

Atypical for an 'indie band with an orchestra'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom