• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new Radiohead album imminent? - form new company similar to prior releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
that clip really makes me want to hear that song.

Servbot24

Banned
Bands and strings, yes. But I said indies and orchestras.

Unsigned artists don't typically have access to orchestras due to the associated costs. I'm not talking about a violin and cello, I'm talking about a Greenwood sized orchestra.

Depends how they're used. You could spend millions and still come away with something unremarkable, and even something that would have sounded better on a single instrument. I'm more talking about the composition of the track.

That said my previous comment was from listening to the instagram clip while at the gym so I definitely missed some of the texture, sounds better now that I'm in my room.

All I Need is lush too. The story behind that arrangement is pretty cool:

Love it. Apparently, he's always telling Thom to add in 'wrong notes'. Plus, I think on a live take of one of the newer songs, Thom mumbles something about 'This is Jonny's bit', so I reckon he definitely has a lot of sway.
True, I was thinking more compositionally. I'd love for Thom to give Jonny a lot more room to stretch out, as usually it's Jonny kind of building around Thom, or so it seems.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
True, I was thinking more compositionally. I'd love for Thom to give Jonny a lot more room to stretch out, as usually it's Jonny kind of building around Thom, or so it seems.

Ah, okay. I might be wrong (ha) but I think he wrote The Tourist. Gorgeous song.

EDIT: Oh, and wasn't Idioteque built from like a 40 minute electro-jam he did? That's one of my favourites!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

It seems like radiohead is almost entirely based around 'dealing with thom'. My favourite band, but they must be a patient lot. I can't help but have the impression that Thom must be extremely difficult to work with. I'm basing that off exactly 0 except how weird he seems and how quiet/normal the rest of them seem.

Blader

giphy.gif

That guy's gonna be in trouble though :lol

That's really a bizarre statement. I know TKOL wasn't everyone's favorite Radiohead album, but Pablo Honey should be everyone's least favorite.

It's a terrible record with one listenable song. At least I can listen to...three songs on Pablo Honey. Given the choice of either to listen to, I'm picking Pablo Honey every time.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
So even if Staircase and The Daily Mail would have clashed with TKoL's aesthetic, do you believe the album would have been better with them included?

I say yes personally and since we're fucking up the vibe go ahead and throw These Are My Twisted Words & The Butcher in there too.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Was there ever a digital release for Supercollider and The Butcher or was it vinyl only?

Blader

The Bends is showing its age a bit, but it's still essential listening if you're interested in Radiohead.

I love the album and will always have a soft spot for it as my gateway to Radiohead, but more and more I'm starting to feel this way a bit too.

The Bends is amazing.

The Bends is amazing, but unlike everything they've done from OK Computer onwards it feels a bit more a product of its specific time. It's Radiohead's quintessential "alternative rock" album. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike The Bends, but they just moved in so many more interesting directions afterwards.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
There is an interveiw with Thom and Ed where this is pretty much established :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gng48OeYc2E

Loving the Trumpton/Camberwich Green gone bad vibe.

Can't wait to hear more.

There's a great part in this interview from 2012 where Jonny talks about his approach to using orchestras. Definitely exciting if there's going to be a lot more strings in this LP!

Not seen either of those. Nice one!

I hate that I have to keep posting fantastic reasons to listen to Pablo Honey. There are many fantastic reasons to listen to it. You, Anyone Can Play Guitar, Lurgee... It was my first Radiohead album, so I'm perhaps biased.

Blow Out, Thinking About You and You are my favourites. Yes I Am and Inside My Head are shit hot B-Sides too.

Still their worst album.

Your use of 'summink' threw me off. Thought that was some musical term I wasn't familiar with, Urban Dictionary suggests I was wrong.

Oh! :D

Nah, just being English. Sorry, man!

Oh. Oh my.

The Bends is amazing, but unlike everything they've done from OK Computer onwards it feels a bit more a product of its specific time. It's Radiohead's quintessential "alternative rock" album. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike The Bends, but they just moved in so many more interesting directions afterwards.

Agree. Though, it's not an album that should be put aside as "stuff they did before they became computerized". It has some really great and memorable tracks. Planet Telex, High and Dry, Fake Plastic Trees, Nice Dream, Just, My Iron Long, Bulletproof, Street Spirit. These are all amazing tracks that will never feel outdated.

eXtv

Banned
It's a terrible record with one listenable song. At least I can listen to...three songs on Pablo Honey. Given the choice of either to listen to, I'm picking Pablo Honey every time.

Little by Little (Basement vsn) > 90% of their collective output

The fucking fade-in on Blackstar is more 90's than maybe everything else they've done, dude

Definitely a solid reason to dismiss an album.

Maybe it was an 80s thing. They might have been referencing "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others". Who knows, it's a minor production choice.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Get the fuck out. :D

It took me a while to get my head around, admittedly. I still don't like Little By Little (not sure why, seems a bit flat) and I think Feral should've been a B-Side, but other than that it's fucking sterling stuff: Bloom, Codex, Lotus Flower, Good Morning, Mr Magpie, Give up the Ghost, Separator - they're all top quality.

dogstar

Banned
The Bends is showing its age a bit, but it's still essential listening if you're interested in Radiohead.

I've heard enough to know its not my bag... FPT is a great song I'll admit, but I'm just into what they started with OKC and where they went from there.

I love TKOL and think its a great LP.... I'm not going to order them as I change my mind all the time.

The Basement sessions are their own standalone record as far as I'm concerned, and 'Limbs really comes alive there. I listen to it all the time.

Then they failed at making a record, by either not playing the songs enough first or by failing to capture on tape what makes them interesting live. Either way, a live version doesn't retroactively make a record great.

Get the fuck out. :D

It took me a while to get my head around, admittedly. I still don't like Little By Little (not sure why, seems a bit flat) and I think Feral should've been a B-Side, but other than that it's fucking sterling stuff: Bloom, Codex, Lotus Flower, Good Morning, Mr Magpie, Give up the Ghost, Separator - they're all top quality.

It's a boring record. It starts at 88bpm at a medium intensity and never budges from there. Boring.

eXtv

Banned
Definitely a solid reason to dismiss an album.

Maybe it was an 80s thing. They might have been referencing "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others". Who knows, it's a minor production choice.

I love The Bends but it's chock-full of tropes that make it typical of it's era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom