• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new Radiohead album imminent? - form new company similar to prior releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
So even if Staircase and The Daily Mail would have clashed with TKoL's aesthetic, do you believe the album would have been better with them included?

I say yes personally and since we're fucking up the vibe go ahead and throw These Are My Twisted Words & The Butcher in there too.

TKOL doesn't have a very strong aesthetic to begin with (first 4 songs do, last 4 are like "eh fuck it"), so sure, may as well throw some extra songs in there.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's a boring record. It starts at 88bpm at a medium intensity and never budges from there. Boring.

I'm not sure that's true. :)

HTTT is rounding up 14, ugly mashed up assholes that have no business being together with no discernible flow and calling it an album.

I wouldn't have put it quite like that but I sort of agree. It's about 5 songs too long. It just so happens some of those songs are some of their best work. It always felt like a retrospective of sorts, covering styles from their previous albums.

Oreoleo

Knives Out is one of my least favorite Radiohead songs of all time.

Straight garbagio. Trans-Atlantic Drawl, Kinetic and Amazing Sounds of Orgy should have all made the cut instead.

Blader

Probably. There's a lot of gormless rubbish on there. I'll take the b-sides over most of the album.

Yes. How in the world did Pulk/Pull, Like Spinning Plates (live piano version is ace but the studio cut is dull), Hunting Bears or a second Morning Bell make it in over Org or Cuttooth?

1. In Rainbows
2. Kid A
3. OK Computer
(3.5. How Am I Driving EP)
4. Hail To The Thief (would be higher if they cut about 1/3 of it)
5. The Bends (for nostalgia as much as quality, I suspect, if I'm being cruel and honest)
(5.5. My Iron Lung EP)
6. Amnesiac (which is still an 8/10)
(6.5. The second disc of In Rainbows)
7. Pablo Honey
8. King Of Limbs

I really, really hated King Of Limbs. I've listened to it about fifty times and I still don't get it. Aimless, tuneless, joyless.

Servbot24

Banned
That's the first I've ever heard of anyone not liking Spinning Plates, and frankly, I'm taken aback!

1. OK Computer - best album ever made
2. Amnesiac
3. Kid A
4. Hail to the Thief
5. The Bends
6. In Rainbows
7. The King of Limbs
8. Pablo Honey

I really love each of the top 6. TKOL is a pleasant listen but nothing too special. PH is actually an alright record, but mainly worth listening to for historical purposes.

eXtv

Banned
Yes. How in the world did Pulk/Pull, Like Spinning Plates (live piano version is ace but the studio cut is dull), Hunting Bears or a second Morning Bell make it in over Org or Cuttooth?

Hunting Bears is pretty but it's mixed so loudly I hate it every time it comes on after Dollars & Cents. Cuttooth is a stomper, love it to death.

dogstar

Banned
It really is an exercise in futility claiming one LP/track is better than another. I like what I like and hate what I hate, and that is that... nothing going to change me, but me... and I guess that applies to everyone.

Anyway, I wonder when we'll get the next instalment of the video?... hopefully the full thing.

NotLiquid

Amnesiac > Hail to the Thief > OK Computer > Kid A > Everything else > TKOL

I realize there's not much of a consistent thread here

Oh god, it's the list part of the Radiohead thread cycle?

Top tier
OK Computer
In Rainbows
Kid A
Amnesiac

Great tier
Hail to the Thief
The Bends

Good tier
The King of Limbs

Bleh tier
Pablo Honey

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It is kind of astounding how that version never got a proper studio treatment (or it did but then they butchered it).

Studio version came first. It's 'I Will' backwards, I think. I like the original, it sounds so volatile and dreamy. The double vocals are awesome. Whole thing is epic.

Hunting Bears is pretty but it's mixed so loudly I hate it every time it comes on after Dollars & Cents. Cuttooth is a stomper, love it to death.

I like Hunting Bears, it's one of their be(ar)tter interludes. Nasty sounding guitar.

Oli

To me, TKOL is an album made to be heard live. Listening to the basement version of Give up the Ghost gives me chills.

It's more of a feat in their use of technology to produce music than it is an easy listening record.

Deeku

In Rainbows is my favourite but Kid A is still their best. That's all I got, it's too hard to actually rank this shit.

1.) Kid A
2.) In Rainbows
3.) OK Computer
4.) Amnesiac
5.) The King of Limbs
6.) Hail to the Thief
7.) The Bends
8.) "The album title comes from a Jerky Boys prank call skit in which the prank caller says to his victim: 'Pablo, honey? Please come to Florida!' This snippet is sampled by the band on the track "How Do You?"." - Seriously, are you kidding me?

I always feel alone in thinking Hail to the Thief is their best. I mean, OK Computer, Kid A, and In Rainbows are all up there, but despite hating it on release, HTTT has grown to be my favorite.

Oli

In Rainbows is my favourite but Kid A is still their best. That's all I got, it's too hard to actually rank this shit.

Same here. But I didn't enjoy In Rainbows until I heard Kid A. Kid A opened me up to Radiohead. It's not one I go back to often, but it probably means the most to me.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I always feel alone in thinking Hail to the Thief is their best. I mean, OK Computer, Kid A, and In Rainbows are all up there, but despite hating it on release, HTTT has grown to be my favorite.

It's definitely got some of their best stuff on it, it's just in a weird order and far too long.

I've never bothered to listen to it, or The Bends. Radiohead started with OKC as far as I'm concerned.

giphy.gif

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit

You are alone. This is the kind of fucked up thing that has me showing my phone to my wife in disbelief.

She looked at me fearfully and asked if there were any more like you.

NotLiquid

Hail to the Thief is an album I don't particularly realize how much I like until I sit down and actually listen to it again. The first half of the album is probably my favorite first half of any Radiohead album.

I think Kid A could be my favorite Radiohead album if it didn't make me feel so depressed listening to it. That's kinda why I find Amnesiac to be my favorite overall Radiohead album since it's Kid A but with more subtle abstractions.

Altazor

Some people on here hating "Like Spinning Plates"? WTF. That's one of my favorite songs on Amnesiac!

Gotta say, though - TKOL has grown on me considerably during the past year. I really didn't care for it when it was released, but I think I appreciate it a lot more now. It's basically an album of two halves: the first, percussion based - rhythmically hypnotic. The second, drenched in atmosphere.

though I think they should've shoehorned "Staircase" there anyway. I fucking love that song.

eXtv

Banned

Love that record and all the live stuff too. Boots from that era are smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom