• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new Radiohead album imminent? - form new company similar to prior releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've downloaded the Basement Versions to see what I think. Hoping they'll open up a bit.

They're better versions.

Bloom in particular, well, blooms. Gorgeous, luxurious, insistent, beautiful. Those horns!

(sorry for double post)

Edit: a word about TKOL. It gets a bad rep compared to most other RH albums, and for me it's on the weaker side, but I feel like it's sometimes unfairly dismissed. For me, songs like Bloom, Codex and Mr Magpie are terrific, and Give up the Ghost is gorgeous (doubly so live, it's heartbreaking).

Altazor

You WHAT?

Here's a fun exercise we can do. Everyone has their favourite tracks, but what about tracks you don't like or often find yourself skipping?

OK Computer:
- Let Down

I don't know you anymore! Poimandres, you're breaking my heart! You're going down a path I can't follow! :'(

Let Down is one of my favorite songs - not only by Radiohead, but by anyone. I don't think many songs can make me feel what that song does, especially during the "you know where you are with" section, how it builds and builds and Thom's falsetto just soars and links with the final chorus. Beautiful.

Opinions, huh? :D

I've downloaded the Basement Versions to see what I think. Hoping they'll open up a bit.

Thing with the Basement versions is, you'd think that because they're live and they have an extra drummer, they'd go fucking wild on them.

But they don't.

It's like a very controlled, focused energy that spruces up the originals, but don't radically transform them (IMHO). It certianly gives them an edge, though - so if you thought the original TKOL was too subdued and uniform, you might like the Basement versions much more.

Me? I like TKOL's percussion based approach. Saving the obvious differences, it reminds me (at places, and mostly because of its approach rather than due to the songs themselves) of King Crimson's Discipline - one of my favorite albums and one that's meant to sound restrained, clinical and "cold".

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Let Down is one of my favorite songs - not only by Radiohead, but by anyone. I don't think many songs can make me feel what that song does, especially during the "you know where you are with" section, how it builds and builds and Thom's falsetto just soars and links with the final chorus. Beautiful.

I feel exactly the same, sir. All I Need has a similar effect on me towards the end.

I don't know you anymore! Poimandres, you're breaking my heart! You're going down a path I can't follow! :'(

Opinions, huh

Hehe ya know I see it, but I don't feel it!

so1337

Opinions, huh? :D
Dude, I want to hug you right now. Let Down is amazing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I skip Paranoid Android most times I listen to that album. It's the Stairway to Heaven effect, just have heard it too many times.

Servbot24

Banned
I usually skip Electioneering. Only blemish on an otherwise perfect album. It's a good song, just doesn't stand up to the greatness of the rest.

One day, I am going to grow wings. A chemical reaction. Hysterical and useless, hysterical and... :(
Such a beautiful song.

You WHAT?

Here's a fun exercise we can do. Everyone has their favourite tracks, but what about tracks you don't like or often find yourself skipping?

What say ye GAF?

Pablo:

ALL OF IT [except Creep]

The Bends:

Bones
Bullet Proof... I Wish I Was
Sulk

OK Computer:

Subterranean Homesick Alien
Exit Music
Electioneering

(not so much I don't like these songs, I do, but I just prefer better ones)

Kid A:

N/A

(a perfect album in my eyes)

Amnesiac:

Pulk/Pull
Dollars & Cents
Hunting Bears

Hail to the Thief:

Backdrifts
I Will (Com Lag version is better)
A Punch Up at a Wedding

In Rainbows:

Reckoner
Down is the New Up

King of Limbs:

Feral
Give Up the Ghost

Also, whilst here, divised another Radiohead ranking system whilst out earlier. From best to worst, best openers and closers to an album.

Openers:

Everything In its Right Place > 2+2=5 > 15 Step > Planet Telex > Airbag > Bloom > Packt Like Sardines in a Crushed Tin Box >>>> You

Closers:

Motion Picture Soundtrack > The Tourist > Street Spirit > Life in a Glasshouse > A Wolf at the Door > Separator > Videotape >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blow Out

(Unrelated sidenote: The King of Limbs and remixes are now back up on Spotify)

cabot

Wow that's a very uh... different list of openers and closers from what I have:

Openers

EIIRP > Bloom > 15 Step > 2+2=5 > Airbag > Packt > Planet Telex > You

Closers

MPS > Videotape > Separator > LIAGH > The Tourist > Street Spirit > Blow Out > Wolf

The Bends:

Bullet Proof... I Wish I Was
Sulk

OK Computer:

Subterranean Homesick Alien
Exit Music

(not so much I don't like these songs, I do, but I just prefer better ones)

Amnesiac:

Pulk/Pull
Dollars & Cents

Hail to the Thief:

Backdrifts
A Punch Up at a Wedding

In Rainbows:

Reckoner

King of Limbs:

Give Up the Ghost
You are an insane man.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I see that the Burn the Witch video took exactly two weeks to make. That's incredible, as I was watching I figured it looked so great that it must have taken forever to animate.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Wow that's a very uh... different list of openers and closers from what I have:

Openers

EIIRP > Bloom > 15 Step > 2+2=5 > Airbag > Packt > Planet Telex > You

Closers

MPS > Videotape > Separator > LIAGH > The Tourist > Street Spirit > Blow Out > Wolf

EIIRP > Airbag > 2+2=5 > Planet Telex > 15 Steps > Packt > You > Bloom

Street Spirit > MPS > Wolf > The Tourist > Seperator > Videotape > LIAGH > Blow Out

I also would say I like most of the openers far more than the closers. Street Spirit might be the only one I'd put in a Radiohead top 10. I might be overtly fond of Airbag, as I almost put it over Everything in it's Right Place.

Servbot24

Banned
Openers

Airbag > EIIRP > 15 Step > Packt > 2+2=5 > Planet Telex > Bloom > You

Closers

MPS > Street Spirit > The Tourist > LIAGH > Wolf > Separator > Videotape > Blow Out

InfernoNR

Openers

EIIRP > Packt > 2 + 2 = 5 > Airbag > Bloom > 15 Step > Planet Telex > You

Closers

MPS > Wolf > Street Spirit > LIAGH > Videotape > Separator > The Tourist > Blow Out

hughesta

Banned
Bloom > Packt > Airbag > 2+2 > 15 Step > Everything > Telex > the other one

The Tourist > Separator > Life in a Glasshouse > Wolf > Fade Out > Motion Picture > Telex > the other one

Openers

EIIRP >> Airbag > 2+2=5 >> 15 Step > You > Bloom > Planet Telex >>>>>>>>
Packt (shoud've been more like the live version, even stil, easily the weakest opener)

Closers

Street Spirit >>>> The Tourist > Wolf at the Door >> LIAGH > MPS > Videotape (live version is better though I still like this) >>> Separator >>>>>> Blow Out

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
This was ok. Radiohead just doesn't really get me excited anymore.

Thom has never had great lyrics and this one seems to be pretty standard Radiohead fare.

I'll be there for Jonny.

This was ok. Radiohead just doesn't really get me excited anymore.

Thom has never had great lyrics and this one seems to be pretty standard Radiohead fare.

I'll be there for Jonny.

I like the lyrics fine, but this could have easily been a mediocre Thom solo / side project song. Jonny is the one raising the bar with BTW, at least to me.

Griss

Openers

EIIRP >> Airbag > 2+2=5 >> 15 Step > You > Bloom > Planet Telex >>>>>>>>
Packt (shoud've been more like the live version, even stil, easily the weakest opener)

Closers

Street Spirit >>>> The Tourist > Wolf at the Door >> LIAGH > MPS > Videotape (live version is better though I still like this) >>> Separator >>>>>> Blow Out

Christ, Radiohead's closers are insane. Every one of those songs is phenomenal. Maybe Blow Out is less so, but it's still the best song on that album.

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this but I think Bloom may have taken top spot from EIIRP as their best opener. Bloody love that song.

I like the lyrics fine, but this could have easily been a mediocre Thom solo / side project song. Jonny is the one raising the bar with BTW, at least to me.

Agreed. It's an interesting song but Thom's lyrics / delivery don't elevate the music like they usually do.

Went back to Spectre and think he does much better there.

Tesser

The more I watch the video for Burn The Witch, the more I smile for how typically socio-politically charged (and accurate) Radiohead's stuff can often be from a subject/theme stand-point. Maybe it's just me, but I really enjoy discussing and looking into stuff like that; pointless spam aside, I like the numerous ideas/themes some comments are drawing into what the video's actually representing.

Correlates with a recent[ish] interview Thom did when asked on the issue between society/media and politics, described the relationship as nothing more than a Wicker Man-like witch-hunt.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not completely sure BTW is on the album to be honest. Pitchfork called it that, but why release BTW for sale if the album is that close?

I was thinking this as well, especially since BtW is an old song. I know they bring those back and put them on albums sometimes, but it also may have just been something they recorded while they had the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom