• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new Radiohead album imminent? - form new company similar to prior releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

Kid A has Everything in its Right Place -> Kid A -> The National Anthem

Ok Computer has Airbag -> Paranoid Android -> Subterranean Homesick Alien

It's fucking hard to choose between them. Seriously.

rhino4evr

I see the sentiment that In Rainbows was like the greatest thing they ever did around here so much. I could never get around the fact that it's such a safe album. I guess that's what people want for the most part, but I like it more when they're unpredictable. Yes, I'm a big fan of King of Limbs, so I guess my opinion is meaningless to most.

Agree 100%
People look at me funny when I tell them o prefer KOL to In Rainbows. I like when the band makes left turns.

lednerg

Heard it a couple times and it's growing on me, especially that bass line. Can't wait to hear it within the context of the entire album.

Kid A has Everything in its Right Place -> Kid A -> The National Anthem

Ok Computer has Airbag -> Paranoid Android -> Subterranean Homesick Alien

It's fucking hard to choose between them. Seriously.

This is super obviously in OK Computers favour. Kid A as a track is a weak link here. It's... okay... but nothing too special honestly.

Altazor

This is super obviously in OK Computers favour. Kid A as a track is a weak link here. It's... okay... but nothing too special honestly.

I love it, actually. To me it sounds like the soundtrack to a disturbing dream that is on the verge of becoming a nightmare.

Kid A (the song) is dope. But it's better without the vocoder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKyFcvAi3Xg

It is a nice track, but ya agreed on the vocoder part.

The thing is I've never been THAT impressed with most of the electronic stuff Radiohead has done because I was already deep into Warp records style stuff by the time Kid A came out. I remember everyone flipping out, but it never seemed that challenging or weird to me. I just kind of took it in my stride.

Amensiac is one of my favourite Radiohead albums, so obviously there's more to it than that (melodies, mood etc) but some of the electronica stuff is kind of under developed compared to other things out there from my view.

I'm an uber Radiohead fan by the way, so I'm not trying to be dismissive.

I love it, actually. To me it sounds like the soundtrack to a disturbing dream that is on the verge of becoming a nightmare.

All of Kid A is kind of dreamy really.

especially stuff like Treefingers and In Limbo.

I remember an interview when it came out where I think it was Thom who said the album makes sense to him as something you'd listen to at 2 or 3am. Like come home after a night out, chill out in your lounge room and put it on. I couldn't agree more!

Altazor

I remember an interview when it came out where I think it was Thom who said the album makes sense to him as something you'd listen to at 2 or 3am. Like come home after a night out, chill out in your lounge room and put it on. I couldn't agree more!

yeah! I'd kinda say the same about In Rainbows - its somewhat sparse quality makes it a very "night time" album to me.

Fucking love that song. It takes a while to fully appreciate but it's so beautiful once you do.

We've got heads on sticks.

I outright hated it at first. Took me a long while before it suddenly "clicked" and then, damn.

Kid A is my favorite Radiohead song. I think EIIRP is the weakest link of those opening tracks.

You WHAT?

Here's a fun exercise we can do. Everyone has their favourite tracks, but what about tracks you don't like or often find yourself skipping?

OK Computer:
- Let Down
- Fitter Happier

Kid A:
- Tree Fingers
- Morning Bell

Amnesiac:
- Pulk/Pull
- Morning Bell/Amnesiac (again with this bloody track!)

HTTT:
- Go To Sleep
- The Gloaming

In Rainbows:
- House of Cards
- Videotape

TKOL:
- Magpie
- Feral

What say ye GAF?

You WHAT?

Here's a fun exercise we can do. Everyone has their favourite tracks, but what about tracks you don't like or often find yourself skipping?

(cut)

What say ye GAF?

I'd pretty much agree except morning bell/amnesiac would get traded with hunting bears (i love the amnesiac version of morning bell). Also, i don't skip or not like any of these tracks, just like them less.

I'd also say that from album -> live Magpie during the TKOL tour became my favorite song off the album along with Bloom.

You WHAT?

OK Computer:
- Let Down
- Fitter Happier

Kid A:
- Tree Fingers
- Morning Bell

Amnesiac:
- Pulk/Pull
- Morning Bell/Amnesiac (again with this bloody track!)

HTTT:
- Go To Sleep
- The Gloaming

In Rainbows:
- House of Cards
- Videotape

TKOL:
- Magpie
- Feral

What say ye GAF?
I can understand most of these but House of Cards, it's my favorite Radiohead song hands down. My opinion of course. Side note, Burn the Witch is pretty great so far, can't wait for the new album!

I'd pretty much agree except morning bell/amnesiac would get traded with hunting bears (i love the amnesiac version of morning bell). Also, i don't skip or not like any of these tracks, just like them less.

I'd also say that from album -> live Magpie during the TKOL tour became my favorite song off the album along with Bloom.

Aye, live Magpie and Bloom are great stuff.

Edit: On House of Cards, I knew that would be a contentious one! I sometimes really like it, but other times it seems kind of boring.

Burn the Witch sounds it was written/recorded during the same period/session as their Spectre song. It's got that dramatic orchestral feel, but it doesn't really go anywhere.

Agree 100%
People look at me funny when I tell them o prefer KOL to In Rainbows. I like when the band makes left turns.
Also agree. too safe.

KoL is way, way better. Any band could have made most of In Rainbows but only Radiohead could make KoL. Still remember that first stream I did of it and being blown away.

Guess Who

Banned
An album can be safe but extremely good, and an album can be out-of-left-field but boring.

In Rainbows is Radiohead doing what Radiohead is best at and doing it very well. The King of Limbs is what people who think Radiohead is just a bunch of weird syncopated beats and bloopy noises think Radiohead sounds like.

hughesta

Banned
An album can be safe but extremely good, and an album can be out-of-left-field but boring.

In Rainbows is Radiohead doing what Radiohead is best at and doing it very well. The King of Limbs is what people who think Radiohead is just a bunch of weird syncopated beats and bloopy noises think Radiohead sounds like.
TKOL has Codex Ghost and Separator on it. It's got a lot of variety to it, even though people like to think it's all bleep bloops. Bloom is one of their most beautiful songs.

Deeku

Also agree. too safe.

KoL is way, way better. Any band could have made most of In Rainbows but only Radiohead could make KoL. Still remember that first stream I did of it and being blown away.
C'mon man, IR is easy to get into but I really don't think any band could reproduce the warmth and nuance of that album.

That said, pretty glad there's some decent love for KoL in here. You guys are great!

C'mon man, IR is easy to get into but I really don't think any band could reproduce the warmth and nuance of that album.

That said, pretty glad there's some decent love for KoL in here. You guys are great!
TKOL deserves all the love. I've long stood by my opinion that if TKOL had a different tracklist with the basement versions thrown in there it would be their BEST album. I think it would go something like this:

1. Bloom*
2. Lotus Flower (album version)
3. The Daily Mail*
4. Morning Mr. Magpie*
5. Little by Little*
6. Staircase*
7. Supercollider (basement or single)
8. Codex (album version)
9. Give Up the Ghost (album version maybe?)
10. Separator (album version)

*From the Basement version.

It could be ordered better, but god those are all such fucking great tracks. You could probably drop Mr. Magpie, but the Basement version just shreds so hard I love ittt. And if we had a studio version of Identikit to add in as well? Fuck me that'd be awesome.

TKOL deserves all the love. I've long stood by my opinion that if TKOL had a different tracklist with the basement versions thrown in there it would be their BEST album. I think it would go something like this:

1. Bloom*
2. Lotus Flower (album version)
3. The Daily Mail*
4. Morning Mr. Magpie*
5. Little by Little*
6. Staircase*
7. Supercollider (basement or single)
8. Codex (album version)
9. Give Up the Ghost (album version maybe?)
10. Separator (album version)

*From the Basement version.

It could be ordered better, but god those are all such fucking great tracks. You could probably drop Mr. Magpie, but the Basement version just shreds so hard I love ittt. And if we had a studio version of Identikit to add in as well? Fuck me that'd be awesome.
I've downloaded the Basement Versions to see what I think. Hoping they'll open up a bit.

Steamlord

I think it's time to break out the true Radiohead album preference test.

TWStWmR.jpg

...Well, GAF?

Ethelwulf

I can see that gaf likes amnesiac and kid a. Awesome albums indeed. To me though, in rainbows takes the sweet spot. What a ride that album is.

∆ very cool!

Oreoleo

Agree 100%

I wonder how much of this is a factor of age.

When I was like 17-22 I loved finding new music, expanding my horizons and experiencing everything that's out there in all genres.

Now that I'm zeroing in on 30 I find myself faaaar less adventurous with music genres. I know what I like, and more importantly what I don't and there isn't much that is going to change that at this point, I think.

Not to say I don't want a band to be adventurous and find new sounds (really, there are so many bands that I've stopped listening to because they refuse to evolve), but there is a difference between evolving and being different for different's sake.

In Rainbows was an evolution, a perfect synthesis of their previous sounds (As opposed to HTTT which is a jumbled mess of their previous sounds). Parts of TKOL feel different for the sake of being different. I'd probably like TKOL more if I were still in my early 20's.

I wonder how much of this is a factor of age.

When I was like 17-22 I loved finding new music, expanding my horizons and experiencing everything that's out there in all genres.

Now that I'm zeroing in on 30 I find myself faaaar less adventurous with music genres. I know what I like, and more importantly what I don't and there isn't much that is going to change that at this point, I think.

Not to say I don't want a band to be adventurous and find new sounds (really, there are so many bands that I've stopped listening to because they refuse to evolve), but there is a difference between evolving and being different for different's sake.

In Rainbows was an evolution, a perfect synthesis of their previous sounds (As opposed to HTTT which is a jumbled mess of their previous sounds). Parts of TKOL feel different for the sake of being different. I'd probably like TKOL more if I were still in my early 20's.

Ehh... I'm 31 but always looking for something new. Something that will blow my mind, the likes of which I've never heard before. The problem is, I didn't get that with TKOL. It's really quite informed by Radioheads past work. It's progressive in its own way, but as an album it's just not as substantial as some of their previous releases. Some great tracks, some slight tracks, but just not an "amazing" release for me.

Deeku

Always be looking for new sounds. Although I guess as you age your tastes (generally) become more refined be it music, games or books etc.

Also, LP9's probably not gonna be dropping any time soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom