• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

LakeOf9

At this point, Concord looks like it might end up being a colossal flop, when its free to play open beta numbers registered lower CCU peaks than even an unreleased Valve game in closed beta, or the Sega game Hyenas, which was literally canceled over the poor numbers.

Meanwhile, on PS5, it was in the ~300th position on the charts, meaning it's not doing better there either.

This game looks like the first high profile failure Sony has had in a very long time - probably the first since The Order. It might also be the biggest first party failure since... Crackdown 3? Redfall? (Trying to think of high profile first party failures, and I don't think Nintendo and Sony have had many in recent years - the benchmark has to be MS, right?)

Do you think Concord is doomed to fail? And will it be a big failure? Remember, this was a brand new studio, and Sony was so impressed with what they were seeing that they bought out the studio and the IP. It has to be considered a big misstep internally surely?

Internet has developed a habit of dancing on the grave of few recent titles, thanks to Suicide Squad and Redfall. This game is undergoing a similar cycle.

I don’t think it will be biggest flop, but it will be most explosive flop, that will shook industry and do unrecoverable damage to the brand.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Again, Sony bought out the entire studio and IP. Even if the investment in development alone wasn't that high, the overall money put into this project has to have been higher than was sunk into Destruction All Stars. Comparing this to that seems misguided.

Buying the studio is a different analysis.

They are a talented team, they can work on a new project or help Bungie and make the acquisition cost work long term

Gojiira

At this point, Concord looks like it might end up being a colossal flop, when its free to play open beta numbers registered lower CCU peaks than even an unreleased Valve game in closed beta, or the Sega game Hyenas, which was literally canceled over the poor numbers.

Meanwhile, on PS5, it was in the ~300th position on the charts, meaning it's not doing better there either.

This game looks like the first high profile failure Sony has had in a very long time - probably the first since The Order. It might also be the biggest first party failure since... Crackdown 3? Redfall? (Trying to think of high profile first party failures, and I don't think Nintendo and Sony have had many in recent years - the benchmark has to be MS, right?)

Do you think Concord is doomed to fail? And will it be a big failure? Remember, this was a brand new studio, and Sony was so impressed with what they were seeing that they bought out the studio and the IP. It has to be considered a big misstep internally surely?
Lets not compare it to Redfall…Like at all, Redfall failed on every level, Concords failure is the saturated market and tone deaf designs.

LakeOf9

I think I was pretty clear.
if it had been, I would not have asked for clarification

Internet has developed a habit of dancing on the grave of few recent titles, thanks to Suicide Squad and Redfall. This game is undergoing a similar cycle.

I don’t think it will be biggest flop, but it will be most explosive flop, that will shook industry and do unrecoverable damage to the brand.
Which brand?

I Hope So Macaulay Culkin GIF by filmeditor

LakeOf9

qnwHfTw.jpeg

It’s worse than Redfall.
Yup, this is what I have been saying (though maybe the full release changes that)

why are there so many threads on this game, people are obsessed lol
It's an upcoming major release and people are discussing it? Were you upset when threads on Hellblade 2 or Starfield or Redfall were made too?

Last edited:

tmlDan

It's an upcoming major release and people are discussing it? Were you upset when threads on Hellblade 2 or Starfield or Redfall were made too?
This is a live service game, it has less investment and less influence on sony as single player titles do. Also, it's from a new studio, all the games you listed are from established studios.

Seems odd for you to care when they have no history

Last edited:

tmlDan

Because it's hard to fathom how the game actually got to this point. It's a complete failure for everyone involved.
its not hard to fathom at all tbh, most live service games end up like this

Whether they start off hot and die or die all together

Last edited:

Nydius

This game isn’t as AAA as you think it is

I doubt it cost more than $50-100M to make

It's "AAA" enough that Sony dedicated almost a full third of their May State of Play to it.
100M is still considered a triple-A budget.

But I do agree with you that Sony will eventually recoup their purchasing costs by making Firewalk a "support" studio for other projects.

its not hard to fathom at all tbh, most live service games end up like this

Whether they start off hot and die or die all together
It's not just the GaaS stuff. It's the kind of game they chose to make (typical hero shooter), the awful and woke character designs, the obvious post-End Game Marvel Cinematic Universe inspired personality, AND not launching F2P. The game should have been cancelled a long time ago, yet still got to this point. That's just insane.

PeteBull

Gold Member
It might even start a curse. Personally I want the mc score to be less than Days Gone.
Sellout journos did their best to cancel days gone and it was and still is very good game, with concord they will have to be harsh coz after the beta/overall reception on the net any1 praising that game is akin to guys praising redfall/suicide squad, aka its obvious they are super biased :)
I expect at max 65metascore but game doesnt even deserve 50 tbh :p

Last edited:
It genuinely doesn't matter if this game flops or not...
It's such a nothing burger.

Game in a overpopulated genre. With zero going for it.

And the audience that is being made for, are not going to play it. Because that audience doesn't play video games to begin with, they are colonizers.

Regardless if it will flop or not, it will be completely forgotten. People will be talking about Overwatch, Valorant, so on, for decades to come.

Concord will be in the trash bin of gaming history.

tmlDan

It's not just the GaaS stuff. It's the kind of game they chose to make (typical hero shooter), the awful and woke character designs, the obvious post-End Game Marvel Cinematic Universe inspired personality, AND not launching F2P. The game should have been cancelled a long time ago, yet still got to this point. That's just insane.
omg relax on your narrative its so tiring, I don't care. Just like you shouldn't care that the game is dying/dead so they learn this "lesson".

It's not that serious, there are other games that fail that have no DEI and hot "cool" characters.

Top Bottom