• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

LordCBH

qnwHfTw.jpeg

It’s worse than Redfall.

To be fair, I would rather play Redfall. And Redfall was dogshit.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's not just the GaaS stuff. It's the kind of game they chose to make (typical hero shooter), the awful and woke character designs, the obvious post-End Game Marvel Cinematic Universe inspired personality, AND not launching F2P. The game should have been cancelled a long time ago, yet still got to this point. That's just insane.
When you order Thanos from Wish:

GO7IYcQXIAAWzzP

Killjoy-NL

Smaller start up team for most of those years

This isn’t a massive studio
Pretty much, it isn't that much different from Arrowhead.

Sony probably also didn't expect too much from Concord, just like they didn't expect too much from HD2.

It's just that one was a sleeper-hit and this created a shitstorm before it even released.

tmlDan

Pretty much, it isn't that much different from Arrowhead.

Sony probably also didn't expect too much from Concord, just like they didn't expect too much from HD2.

It's just that one was a sleeper-hit and this created a shitstorm before it even released.
you can tell, the advertising for this game is extremely minimal and only shows up on specific sites or Sony owned events like EVO

Killjoy-NL

150? Where is your source?
I posted that.

Source was here:

There's another one saying 169 in 2024:

And I see 169 according to their LinkedIn:

Ok? I never said otherwise but Sony must have been confident with what they saw to buy the studio.

Confident in the talent, gameplay, etc.

Concord is a well playing game, just marred by horrible artistic/thematic direction and lacking long term longevity

If Sony is playing the long game they will let the team retool on a new IP or become Bungie support

clarky

Gold Member
Confident in the talent, gameplay, etc.

Concord is a well playing game, just marred by horrible artistic/thematic direction and lacking long term longevity

If Sony is playing the long game they will let the team retool on a new IP or become Bungie support
Confident in the game, the IP and the Studio.

They were dead wrong no matter which way you paint it.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Smaller start up team for most of those years

This isn’t a massive studio

160+ employees, composed of experienced hires from Activision, Bungie and other AAA studios, headquartered in Washington. Game in active development before 2021 when Sony partnered with them.

You’re probably looking at a budget in the $100m range. And they’ve also got to make these CGI shorts to share every week or so.

tmlDan

$100 million isn't cheap if you lose it.
im with you on this, obviously it's bad but not as bad as it could've been. I also highly doubt Sony themselves spent that much but the studio could have had investors/personal investment from prior that is now gonna go down the drain.

Last edited:
Because it's hard to fathom how the game actually got to this point. It's a complete failure for everyone involved.
I know exactly how it gets to this point. Same way rocksteady got to the point they got with suicide squad...

By waiting too damn long to show to the public what they are working on. I know the internet used to complain a lot when demos would be shown and then having to wait multiple years until the game was released. What we didn't realize back then is that by showing early versions of the game (keyword, early), it allows to get a public reaction to it and measure the level of excitement for the concept.
Imagine showing the demo they showed 3 or 4 years ago. Or Rocksteady showing a demo of king shark shooting purple shit 4 to 5 years before the release... Plenty of time to course correct and make the necessary adjustments.

Now we get no news, no E3, no hype, nothing for years on end, outside of some leakers and rumors, so when finally the game is shown, if it looks completely off the mark, guess what. Too late now to change anything.

So there we go, this is how we get to this point. And the same is applicable to many devs/publishers, this concord is just the latest example.

Confident in the game, the IP and the Studio.

They were dead wrong no matter which way you paint in.

They are not dead wrong just because their first game failed to take off

There are many examples of teams with poor first showings commercially that have done better over time

Killjoy-NL

Bullshit they didn't expect much. They saw the IP and what they had in 2023 and bought the lot.
I was talking about Concord as a title.

The technical quality and polish of the game itself is undeniable, so maybe Sony bought the studio because of their technical quality, in order to grow them as one of their studios?

That's what Sony does.

Last edited:
That's the worst strategy of all time, you don't make anything to fail. That's like a gamblers thinking.

It’s not a gambler’s strategy, it’s no different than a VC fund

You need enough GaaS games released and the few that make it end up being so successful that they recoup all the failures and still generate a massive profit

It will have a knock on effect on other Sony gaas ventures I can tell you that. Look at Ubisoft cancelling their gaas shooters because Hypnoscape? Hyperscape? failed at launch among others.

clarky

Gold Member
They are not dead wrong just because their first game failed to take off

There are many examples of teams with poor first showings commercially that have done better over time
Of course they were wrong to buy the studio. You think everyone over at Sony HQ is as optimistic as you right now?. A simple publishing deal would have been much more preferable for Sony.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Gold Member
They had so many flops back then.

Even PS4 era had stuff like The Order and Driveclub that had multiple delays and ended up closing a studio. Sony Santa Monica literally had a project that costed Sony 100M dollars that never saw the light of day.

Sony started collaborating with this studio in 2021 during covid days. They didn't create it and were part of the development for 3 years only. Yeah they bought the studio...a studio with no IPs, not that many people, etc...but i'd bet it's probably around 100M tops. There's no way they just gave away more than that amount to a studio that's basically a startup with a single game in development.

Now...whenever Haven releases their flop game...THAT will sting! Sony is basically creating their new game from scratch and it seems too far away from release. That will be Sony's biggest flop this generation. Concord will be nothing close to it.

Of course they were wrong to buy the studio you think everyone over at Sony HQ is as optimistic as you right now?. A simple publishing deal would have been much more preferable for Sony.

They are only wrong to buy the studio if it doesn’t provide any positive value over 10+ years.

You don’t buy a studio and then judge it on the first game they release. If that’s what they end up doing, it’s stupid short term thinking

Last edited:
I mean 6 years alot can change I'm pretty sure in 2018 overwatch was massive.
The problem is last 2 3 years they definelty would've known that this game can't and won't survive especially if it's not f2p.
I mean the direct competitor is overwatch and it's free how can u compete with that

clarky

Gold Member
They are only wrong to buy the studio if it doesn’t provide any positive value over 10+ years.

You don’t buy a studio and then judge it on the first game they release. If that’s what they end up doing, it’s stupid short term thinking
They will be either shuttered or relegated to a support studio within 12 months.

Sony doesn't fuck around with failures. You think they will still be around in ten years?

Last edited:
Why are you on damage control?

The game isn't great and looks to be a very costly failure, no?

Why are you on the negativity patrol?

The game is a flop. That doesn’t mean it sucks or that the studio is terrible and not worthy of a long term shot

I would rather Sony keep these new studios afloat to make GaaS initiatives than force it on their SP devs

Ozriel

M$FT
Not for all 6 years

Certainly never said that.

Striking Distance Studios made Callisto Protocol over 3 years, with a total studio size of 150 employees in total, which would have also ramped up over time since it was a new studio, like Firewalk.

Development and marketing costs were cited as $160m. You’d imagine development costs were the bulk of that.

Nobody’s making an AAA GaaS title for under $100m.

Perrott

Really happy to see this game fail. I hope the studio closes and the game gets cancelled before release. These people don't deserve to make games.
I doubt that the game designers, level designers, programmers, online infrastructure engineers, animators, ground-level artists and QA testers responsible for what beneath that ugly coat of paint is a well-crafted and extremely polished FPS are to blame for the project leads, writers and art director's terrible call to go for this cringy Marvel-esque tone and woke and totally unappealing character designs.

Fire the studio leadership, keep the talent in the trenches and give them an already established IP with a cemented aesthetic and direction (Killzone, Resistance, or even Destiny for a spin-off game) and at least let them have a chance at redemption.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Of course they were wrong to buy the studio. You think everyone over at Sony HQ is as optimistic as you right now?. A simple publishing deal would have been much more preferable for Sony.
You want to say Concord is a mess on a technical level?
Even DF praised it for the level of polish and how good the performance is. The game is top tier on a technical level.

That's why Sony bought them, not because of Concord per se.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
They had so many flops back then.

Even PS4 era had stuff like The Order and Driveclub that had multiple delays and ended up closing a studio. Sony Santa Monica literally had a project that costed Sony 100M dollars that never saw the light of day.

Sony started collaborating with this studio in 2021 during covid days. They didn't create it and were part of the development for 3 years only. Yeah they bought the studio...a studio with no IPs, not that many people, etc...but i'd bet it's probably around 100M tops. There's no way they just gave away more than that amount to a studio that's basically a startup with a single game in development.

Now...whenever Haven releases their flop game...THAT will sting! Sony is basically creating their new game from scratch and it seems too far away from release. That will be Sony's biggest flop this generation. Concord will be nothing close to it.
I'm waiting to see if Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes gets excited about Fairgame$ before I write it off completely. If he seems interested, you know its days are numbered.

I think the game will catch more eyes just by being 3rd person. Probably will have a campaign also, in addition to PvE / PvP.

Top Bottom